• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

rtrooney

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Scott Whiskers in: The Search for Mr. Fumbleclaw - Point & Click Adventure

Total Posts: 2454

Joined 2019-12-22

PM

Rufus - 21 March 2023 04:13 PM

Some story about how you really killed a hamster in a microwave in the 80s (WTF??) makes me less likely to contribute.

That was a vaguely worded but obvious reference to an illustrious late 80s inventory puzzle.

Taking away from that story that this dev

really killed a hamster in a microwave in the 80s (WTF??)

made me do a triple take.

Come on, the title of the game is generic but fine. It could be title of a children’s book, or an animated comedy movie for millennials . I don’t think it’ll be the deciding issue for the game’s success and with that in mind it might be smart to promote these possibly recurring characters in this way.

Kind of agree with your second point, though. Regarding the general gist of 3:

Scott Whiskers in: The Search for Mr. Fumbleclaw is an unexpected, thrilling return of series creator Axel that continues the story of the legendary adventure games The Secret of Mr. Fumbleclaw and Mr. Fumbleclaw:Scott Whiskers’s Revenge developed in collaboration with Fancy Factory games.

Total Posts: 31

Joined 2022-12-17

PM

Uhm…I NEVER killed a hamster. Promised! That criticism was…unexpected. 😂 I guess I’m really to old thinking everybody has played Maniac Mansion in the 80s. 🤷
In fact in my game IS a hamster. And he needs to be saved…not killed. The entire point of my game is my love for animals. This may not be everyone’s cup of tea…but…well…it is my cup of tea.
I don’t like serious or depressing point & click adventure games. I like the light hearted with humour. Like Maniac Mansion. Is it wrong to mention this preference? So I HOPE you will have fun with my game as well. But I am not angry with anyone who prefers a different kind of game.

When the Kickstarter starts there will be a demo. Just give it a try and decide for yourself if you like it or not. I really hope you will…

Joined 2019-12-22

PM

phew!

i’ll be trying the demo for the appropriate thread on this board.

contrary to what my snarkiness may imply, i am curious to see what jack Whiskers and the search for mr thunderclaw is all about.

Joined 2022-12-17

PM

I’m afraid I have to correct you here. 😁: SCOTT Whiskers in the search for Mr. FUMBLECLAW

JACK Whiskers is his brother he never speaks of. And so should we. 😉

Joined 2019-12-22

PM

i stand corrected!

also: i will carry this dark revelation into my playthrough of the demo. i won’t speak of it, but i will know it and treat is as canon.

Total Posts: 284

Joined 2013-02-26

PM

One consideration with long titles is that if you’re releasing on Steam, it can be a REAL pain making it readable in the small capsule art! We had to redo the Captain Disaster art for that multiple times before it was accepted.

Joined 2022-12-17

PM

Thanks for that advice. Yes, a long title can be tricky sometimes. However, I’ve setup the Steam page this week and got all assets accepted: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1545610/Scott_Whiskers_in_the_Search_for_Mr_Fumbleclaw/

On very small images I simply focus on “Scott Whiskers”. As this is what most people most probably will remember.

Total Posts: 860

Joined 2017-12-19

PM

CaptainD - 23 March 2023 06:07 AM

We had to redo the Captain Disaster art for that multiple times before it was accepted.

This is getting off-topic, but do you mean there’s some kind of art curation that Steam does?

That’s kind of surprising, because they have the “shovelware, no curation, anything goes” reputation after they discontinued their Greenlight thing.

Joined 2022-12-17

PM

GateKeeper - 23 March 2023 08:57 AM

This is getting off-topic, but do you mean there’s some kind of art curation that Steam does?

That’s kind of surprising, because they have the “shovelware, no curation, anything goes” reputation after they discontinued their Greenlight thing.

I can only speak for myself: in my case, they did indeed complain once that a graphic was not suitable (because important parts of the graphic were covered in the shop). But I think they don’t really care if a graphic is pretty or ugly. In any case, however, one goes through a check before the shop page gets approved.

Total Posts: 284

Joined 2013-02-26

PM

GateKeeper - 23 March 2023 08:57 AM
CaptainD - 23 March 2023 06:07 AM

We had to redo the Captain Disaster art for that multiple times before it was accepted.

Steam has all sorts of rules you need to stick to but what I’m referring to specifically is the small capsule art. Our game has quite a long title, and we had it rejected twice because it was apparently not readable enough at the smallest capsule size. My artist pointed out to me recently an example of a game that was clearly NOT very readable at that size, and I’m not really sure “Captain Disaster in: Death Has A Million Stomping Boots” was at all clear at that size, so I think it’s a rule that came in the past year or so. I think Steam are really trying to get rid of that reputation although the also don’t want to block people from putting their games on the platform and therefore making Valve money, so… I think as long as you stick to their rules to a reasonable degree you’re in, the store page layout is probably more important than the game itself in that regard.

To get back on topic, clearly I’m guilty of liking stupidly long game titles myself with the games I’ve made, but I think “Scott Whiskers” kind of has a nice ring to it. I’ve tried to objectively look at whether “Scott Whiskers in: The Search for Mr. Fumbleclaw” or just “The Search for Mr. Fumbleclaw” appeals to me more, and I kind of like the longer name more. But that’s just me.

To be honest, and perhaps it’s partly because I played the excellent Inspector Waffles recently, my first thought was “is Scott Whiskers a human or a cat - or possibly and anthropomorphised cat?”.  Smile

Joined 2022-12-17

PM

Thats funny - because as I asked ChatGPT about Scott Whiskers I was being told a long story about the cat-detective Scott Whiskers.  Tongue But no - MY Scott Whiskers is a human. And more or less a “younger me”.  Smile

Joined 2022-12-17

PM

The Steam page has been finally set-up for my game. Feel free to add Scott Whiskers to your wishlist. Thanks in advance! Smile

Joined 2022-12-17

PM

I present: “Scott Whiskers - the Movie”! Also known as “Scott Whiskers - the Trailer”. 😉 Aaaand…Action! 😃

Please support Scott Whiskers by registering for the upcoming Kickstarter campaign (later this year), the Steam Wishlist - or for the games newsletter.

Thanks a lot in advance!! 😀

https://www.scottwhiskers.com/steam
https://www.scottwhiskers.com/kickstarter
https://www.scottwhiskers.com/newsletter
https://www.scottwhiskers.com

Regards, Axel

Joined 2022-12-17

PM

July 01 is the day of days! The Kickstarter campaign for “Scott Whiskers in: the Search for Mr. Fumbleclaw” will be launched! 😀 => https://www.scottwhiskers.com/kickstarter

Includes a fully dubbed demo for Windows, Mac, and Linux, and a beautiful Box Edition! I can’t wait to show you what I’ve been working on for the past three years 🙂 .

Also, you can support Scott Whiskers by adding the game to your Steam wishlist - or signing up for the game’s newsletter.

https://www.scottwhiskers.com/trailer
https://www.scottwhiskers.com

Regards, Axel

Joined 2022-12-17

PM

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top