• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Gabriel

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Return to Monkey island by Ron Gilbert : 19 september 2022

Total Posts: 2071

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

Egon - 05 April 2022 12:39 PM

Also, since no one commented on it yet, I really like the art style. So different from previous games in the series. Love it.

Charophycean did:

Charophycean - 04 April 2022 07:21 PM

I really hope it’s not that style of “paper doll” graphics shown in the trailer. I’ve never really liked that style, and I don’t think it’s befitting of a MI game.

And I agree tbh, hopefully the full game will be properly animated, LucasArts-style. Then again, at this point I will accept any style as long as the game is good.

PC means personal computer

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

Ron did tweet, that they’ve made sure to keep canon intact, so whatever happens in this new MI game, it won’t erase the rest of the series.

Total Posts: 2454

Joined 2019-12-22

PM

Baron_Blubba - 05 April 2022 11:14 AM

I don’t think it would be *too* complicated to slot this one between MI2 and MI3 without breaking continuity. There would be limitations on the relationships between the characters, but spatially, all that needs to happen is for Guybrush to begin the game on a bumper car boat and end the game back on a bumper car boat. What happens between MI2 and MI3 is pretty ambiguous, or at least blank, if I recall correctly.

MI2 sets up interesting possibiliies. I think MI3 just chose the least creative of all possible outcomes as a starting point, but it does work in some interesting developments along the way. Maybe the theme park connection could prove to be the thread that ties the series together.

Personally, I’m not a big canon-type. I like lore and some continuity, but I don’t mind faux-historical revisionism at all.

Total Posts: 524

Joined 2022-02-22

PM

I don’t think it would be *too* complicated to slot this one between MI2 and MI3 without breaking continuity. There would be limitations on the relationships between the characters, but spatially, all that needs to happen is for Guybrush to begin the game on a bumper car boat and end the game back on a bumper car boat. What happens between MI2 and MI3 is pretty ambiguous, or at least blank, if I recall correctly.

I think it makes more sense to place MI3, 4 and 5 between 1 and 2. The new game could too. There’s really nowhere to go after MI2’s ending, I’ve always interpreted it in a Lynchean way and have little doubt Gilbert did too.

AKA Charo

Joined 2019-12-22

PM

Charophycean - 05 April 2022 05:57 PM

I think it makes more sense to place MI3, 4 and 5 between 1 and 2. The new game could too. There’s really nowhere to go after MI2’s ending, I’ve always interpreted it in a Lynchean way and have little doubt Gilbert did too.

Alright, I had to juggle that in my mind for a minute before I got the picture.

I’d argue the first two games are more in line with the implications of the ending of MI2. The characters in later games seem more like cartoony adults, the stories have more structure and miss the sense of wonder that comes with being mostly oblivious to plot holes and character development. Even Guybrush seems more aware of himself, his circumstances and those of others in the later games. It’s a nice way to tell a story in it’s own right, but it was a departure from MI and 2.

Now I’m curious about your Lynch-inspired angle.

Total Posts: 6590

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Vegetable Party - 05 April 2022 02:54 PM

Personally, I’m not a big canon-type.

I’m more of a howitzer-guy myself. Grin

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Joined 2022-02-22

PM

Vegetable Party - 05 April 2022 07:55 PM

I think this video explains the two theories. I prefer the first one.

Not that it really matters, since MI3 was awesome.

AKA Charo

Total Posts: 59

Joined 2003-12-31

PM

This is wonderful news. A new Monkey Island? A continuation of the storytelling and values of Monkey Island 2? Wonderful! I was a big fan of COMI, EFMI, and TOMI. I played them when they were released and replayed them and can attest to their value. AND I am excited for Ron Gilbert to continue in telling HIS Monkey Island story. It’s all good.

Total Posts: 506

Joined 2014-08-01

PM

Charophycean - 05 April 2022 09:53 PM
Vegetable Party - 05 April 2022 07:55 PM

I think this video explains the two theories. I prefer the first one.

Not that it really matters, since MI3 was awesome.

The first one? The explanation in which they are in fact children and brothers who were lost playing at the amusement park? But what about the last moment when we see LeChuck’s eyes turn red, implying that Gubrush was tricked perhaps with voodoo magic, I think that was pretty clear, unless I’m missing some important detail.

I should clarify that I don’t remember the beginning of MI 3, and if there was any explanation about that.

” I remember. Somebody died. It was me.”
~

Total Posts: 217

Joined 2003-09-12

PM

Doom - 05 April 2022 01:34 PM
Egon - 05 April 2022 12:39 PM

Also, since no one commented on it yet, I really like the art style. So different from previous games in the series. Love it.

Charophycean did:

Charophycean - 04 April 2022 07:21 PM

I really hope it’s not that style of “paper doll” graphics shown in the trailer. I’ve never really liked that style, and I don’t think it’s befitting of a MI game.

And I agree tbh, hopefully the full game will be properly animated, LucasArts-style. Then again, at this point I will accept any style as long as the game is good.

I’m rarely a fan of too clean art style either. But I really like it in this trailer. A touch of Samurai Jack atmosphere and colour scale. Also, animations look great to me. Hard to judge as it’s really short trailer… but so far, I like it.

Joined 2022-02-22

PM

Tenebra - 06 April 2022 02:51 PM

The first one? The explanation in which they are in fact children and brothers who were lost playing at the amusement park? But what about the last moment when we see LeChuck’s eyes turn red, implying that Gubrush was tricked perhaps with voodoo magic, I think that was pretty clear, unless I’m missing some important detail.

True, but then again there’s the moment Guybrush falls out of a tree and sees his parents, the same ones who appear at the end.

The eyes glowing could just mean Chucky is evil and created the whole fantasy.

I think it’s open to interpretation.

AKA Charo

Joined 2019-12-22

PM

diego - 05 April 2022 08:31 PM
Vegetable Party - 05 April 2022 02:54 PM

Personally, I’m not a big canon-type.

I’m more of a howitzer-guy myself. Grin

Grin

I think the ending to MI2 is knowingly convoluted. Could be to keep open all possibilities for the sequel. Or to give people a way to opt out of an impopular interpretation of the plot: I think the Guybrush and LeChuck as kids/brothers makes a lot of things in the first two games work, but I think many people didn’t want it to be that meta. Or maybe they identified with Guybrush in such a way they found it offensive for him to be a child. Might say something about the developmental state of your mind.

To make it more Twin Peaks-like: there could be a doppelganger-situation going on with LeChuck? Maybe one particular ride in the theme park functions as a “lodge”?

Total Posts: 17

Joined 2007-08-24

PM

I check in here every few years.
Today was a good day to do so.
See you guys in 2027.

My computer runs DOS only.

Joined 2019-12-22

PM

Let’s hope we’ll still be around by then!

And by we I mean the population of this planet in general.

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

Like everyone else, I’ve enjoyed these games, played the first 2 on the Amiga in the day, this should be a real treat.

What a year 2022 is turning out to be!

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top