• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Other → Chit Chat → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Favorite TV shows

Poll: Most Overhyped
Total Votes: 42
Breaking Bad
Game of Thrones
Walking Dead
Mad Men

Total Posts: 191

Joined 2004-12-30

PM

A belated tie for the Number 3 spot in my “Favorite Finished” list-

In Living Color.

When I was typing my list the other night, I could not for the life of me think of the name of that show.

Warning- People won’t have as much of a sense of humor about you putting an Alka Seltzer in your mouth then staggering into a restaurant while shouting “THE VIRUS HAS MUTATED!” as you’d hope they would.

Consider this: People say “Ewwww!!!” when they hear about a guy having a hairy bum or hairy back, yet every Teddy Bear ever made has had both a hairy bum AND a hairy back and nobody complains about them; In fact, people think Teddy Bears are adorable.

Total Posts: 2056

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

Finished:
Monty Python’s Flying Circus
Father Ted
Friends
Bottom
The Sopranos

Ongoing:
Red Dwarf
Blackadder (hopefully)

Have yet to see a serious TV show that is not either overacted, cheesy, monotonous or way too stupid by the 2nd season (The Sopranos is an exception). Although I enjoy several horror shows (Tales from the Crypt, Masters of Horror) exactly for their cheesiness and overacting Smile

And overhyped… Lots of them. I’ll go with Sherlock, Big Bang Theory and Seinfeld.

PC means personal computer

Total Posts: 532

Joined 2009-06-07

PM

There are an awful lot fo comedy shows on this list. Personally I don’t like comedy. The only show I actually followed throughout several seasons was Futurama and I certainly wouldn’t call that a favourite. For me if I can’t take it seriously I don’t like it. When I watch a tv show I want to invest in the characters. Root for them, fear for them, I want to feel gutted when bad things happen to them and really enjoy their victories however small. With comedy I just can’t do that. Simply because it’s a genre designed to not be taken seriously and I want to take my tv shows very seriously to get the most enjoyment out of them.

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

gray pierce - 27 April 2014 07:11 AM

When I watch a tv show I want to invest in the characters. Root for them, fear for them, I want to feel gutted when bad things happen to them and really enjoy their victories however small.

I wish I could feel the same. But TV shows don’t work for me that way. I read books or watch (serious) movies for good character development. TV series are usually conceived with lots of seasons in mind, they exploit same old formulas again and again. I can’t take those characters and their dramas seriously. Comedy shows (those that I like) at least have good humour.

But now that I think more about it, I really enjoyed The Sopranos. That series did everything right IMHO.

Total Posts: 932

Joined 2004-03-23

PM

Doom - 27 April 2014 07:28 AM

I read books or watch (serious) movies for good character development. TV series are usually conceived with lots of seasons in mind, they exploit same old formulas again and again. I can’t take those characters and their dramas seriously. Comedy shows (those that I like) at least have good humour.

I’m with you on this 100%, couldn’t have said it better.

I watch TV to be entertained, and regular drama just doesn’t do that for me - in fact, the opposite, it’s dreary to me to have to watch people struggle constantly with problems created with the same formula, often quite artificially… I mean, if you want drama, live your life Tongue For example in Broen, it was a great police show, but I couldn’t stand all the pointless family drama and “character development” in it, especially since it was usually so exaggerated (and as far as TV goes, it wasn’t even that exaggerated).

A TV show shouldn’t take itself too seriously. That’s why, for example, Twin Peaks was so brilliant. It knew where to be serious and where to be a little humorous (and besides, life is often humorous). Now, it did have its dull relationship stuff, too, but one could forgive it in the big picture - also, it was pure gold every time Lynch or Frost directed.

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

UPtimist - 27 April 2014 08:02 AM

A TV show shouldn’t take itself too seriously. That’s why, for example, Twin Peaks was so brilliant. It knew where to be serious and where to be a little humorous (and besides, life is often humorous). Now, it did have its dull relationship stuff, too, but one could forgive it in the big picture - also, it was pure gold every time Lynch or Frost directed.

This reminds me - I should really rewatch Twin Peaks. Watched it long ago as a kid and found it very unpleasant, yet kept watching for the atmosphere. Maybe because the series is not for kids at all Smile

Joined 2009-06-07

PM

I think the problem with tv is that it’s been stuck in procedural hell for two long. But proceduras are dying and in it’s place we have a new and imo superior form of storytelling where a single story can be told over the space of an entire season or even series. Opening possibilities to the same level of emotional involvement you can get out of reading a novel or series of novels.

@Doom: If you enjoyed the Sopranos I highly recommend Boardwalk Empire. A fantastic gangster drama set at the beginning of the 20th century which was created and written by one of the writers of The Sopranos. In fact I think you might like most HBO shows as almost all their drama shows (except True Blood) have the same high level of writing.

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

gray pierce - 27 April 2014 07:19 PM

@Doom: If you enjoyed the Sopranos I highly recommend Boardwalk Empire. A fantastic gangster drama set at the beginning of the 20th century which was created and written by one of the writers of The Sopranos. In fact I think you might like most HBO shows as almost all their drama shows (except True Blood) have the same high level of writing.

Thank you, I will try it out! Terence Winter is a solid screenwriter (unless there’s 50 Cent involved)).

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

I watched Shield just now, after all these years (and reemergence of TV as medium thanks to Wire and Breaking bad).

You can commit to mini series like Truedetective or Fargo if long Seasons ain’t your thing.

IMO, Shield shits on everything out there for its raw brutality and endgame that is really difficult to to surpass in any medium. Funny its old show , stood the test of time because it avoided all cliches. Rich characters with all shades of morality. Makes other shows like non serious bunch. It was a cornerstone for original programming in TV shows as well as bold , risky and adult Drama.

Its week now and still cant get the end out of my head.
It all works because it develops in long seasons(total 7).

Wire was also praised for its novel type , character building approach. But its a slowburn.

Joined 2009-06-07

PM

nomadsoul - 28 April 2014 07:58 AM

I watched Shield just now, after all these years (and reemergence of TV as medium thanks to Wire and Breaking bad).

You can commit to mini series like Truedetective or Fargo if long Seasons ain’t your thing.

IMO, Shield shits on everything out there for its raw brutality and endgame that is really difficult to to surpass in any medium. Funny its old show , stood the test of time because it avoided all cliches. Rich characters with all shades of morality. Makes other shows like non serious bunch. It was a cornerstone for original programming in TV shows as well as bold , risky and adult Drama.

Its week now and still cant get the end out of my head.
It all works because it develops in long seasons(total 7).

Wire was also praised for its novel type , character building approach. But its a slowburn.

Please don’t beat me up and then piss on me but I hate The Shield with a passion. I consider it a poor man’s The Wire as it has the same brutality but none of the depth, realistice depiction of police work, excellent charcters and good dialogue that show has.

Well at least we agree about The Wire and True Detective. Btw: True Detective is not a mini-series. It’s an anthology series. That’s not the same as a mini series. A mini series is over after one season. True Detective will return for a second season and from what I hear even a third one.

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

gray pierce - 28 April 2014 07:32 PM

Please don’t beat me up and then piss on me but I hate The Shield with a passion. I consider it a poor man’s The Wire as it has the same brutality but none of the depth, realistice depiction of police work, excellent charcters and good dialogue that show has.

Well at least we agree about The Wire and True Detective. Btw: True Detective is not a mini-series. It’s an anthology series. That’s not the same as a mini series. A mini series is over after one season. True Detective will return for a second season and from what I hear even a third one.

Wire style is more skewed towards Documentary, the action scenes ,fighting or gun shooting stuff is nowhere near Shield. Final events of Shield really caught me by surprise where Wire endgame was somewhat predictable.
The only reason why i prefer shield over Wire or other is finale and action
scenes. The type of execution in action scenes is something that can only be found
in Korean or japanese films. Hollywwod leans towards little staged and unrealistic
choreography.

Season 2 is rumored not confirmed untill then enjoy the singled out slice of Brand called True Detective.

edit:

Found one of fav fighting scenes, this type of stuff , the actors fighting like
animals, where you can feel all the hits and the last iron slam

This raw nature of show i was talking about. And thats just one.

Total Posts: 5553

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

Warehouse 13 is one of my favorite shows.  I like both the characters and the stories and am sad that this is the last season.  I also fell into watching Metal Hurlant Chronicles, which I would describe as an edgy Twilight Zone in space.  I’m liking it and hope it continues.

Carpe chocolate.

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Fargo is going very strong, the latest episode was dark and sick.
Really good production.

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

So Miniseries and Anthologies are treated equally, in same category in awards.

Fargo won in Miniseries category, also its Anthology returning with new cast and story like True Detective.

Great Series indeed.

http://mashable.com/2014/06/19/fargo-orange-is-the-new-black-critics-choice-awards/

Total Posts: 2704

Joined 2004-08-02

PM

Finished
Battlestar Galactica

Ongoing
The Walking Dead
Game of Thrones
Breaking Bad

Overhyped: Lost

You are here: HomeForum Home → Other → Chit Chat → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!