• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Other → Chit Chat → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

All-time favourite movies?

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Thanks for the tip ,Tim you know how clumsy i am Smile

Izno putting Blade Runner as your number1 , makes me flattered in a way (not know why) .. i wonder if you are Philip Dick fan as well!

Total Posts: 4247

Joined 2005-04-14

PM

Sefir - 24 September 2013 07:59 AM

Practically every Kubrick film is better than the original books (with the exception of Lolita perhaps…) - and I love reading.

I prefer both Clockwork Orange and Lolita as books. I like 2001: A Space Odyssey more in its movie form and I haven’t read other books Kubrick’s oeuvre is based on.

BTW, The Shining is my most favo(u)rite horror movie (not only because I love Jack Nicholson as an actor).

Everybody wants to be Cary Grant.
Even Me.

-Cary Grant

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

Advie - 24 September 2013 09:20 AM

Izno putting Blade Runner as your number1 , makes me flattered in a way (not know why) .. i wonder if you are Philip Dick fan as well!

Thanks I guess, though I’m also not quite sure why you should be flattered by it?!?

I am a Sci-Fi fan and I have read a lot of Sci-Fi books, also some by Philip K. Dick including “Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?”, perhaps one of the cases where the movie is better than the book. But I wouldn’t call myself a fan of Philip K. Dick.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

zobraks - 24 September 2013 09:28 AM

BTW, The Shining is my most favo(u)rite horror movie (not only because I love Jack Nicholson as an actor).

Mine too

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 1555

Joined 2005-12-06

PM

Iznogood - 24 September 2013 08:59 AM

So here is my personal top 3 list:

1. Blade Runner (Ridley Scot)
2. Dancer in the Dark (Lars von Trier)
3. AI (Steven Spielberg)

Oddly enough, no one else has mentioned Dancer in the Dark or AI on their top lists!

I’d need to watch AI again, hardly remember it. Blade Runner is 9/10 and Dancer in the Dark is just way too depressing. It was a great movie but I’ll never watch it again.

Currently Playing: Dragon Age Origins: Awakening
Recently Played: Red Embrace: Hollywood, Dorfromantik, Heirs & Graces, AI: The Somnium Files, PRICE, Frostpunk, The Shapeshifting Detective (CPT), Disco Elysium, Dream Daddy, Four Last Things, Jenny LeClue - Detectivu, The Signifier

Total Posts: 2978

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

Iznogood - 24 September 2013 09:39 AM

Mine too

I guess we have something in common then.

And now the bad news considering my favorite actor…

http://www.theguardian.com/film/2013/sep/05/jack-nicholson-retires-memory-loss  Cry

Oddly enough, no one else has mentioned Dancer in the Dark or AI on their top lists!

I never liked AI, but I admit that Dancer in the Dark is an excellent movie.

Total Posts: 2648

Joined 2004-01-18

PM

Sefir - 24 September 2013 07:59 AM

Practically every Kubrick film is better than the original books (with the exception of Lolita perhaps…) - and I love reading.

I prefer both Clockwork Orange and Lolita as books. I like 2001: A Space Odyssey more in its movie form and I haven’t read other books Kubrick’s oeuvre is based on.

Couple of points.

2001 a Space Odyssey came after the movie. Although it was loosly based on on an Arthur C Clark short story the 2001 novel was written concurrently with the movie based on his screenplay. (I prefered the book)

The Shining is a great film, but the book is better. King famously HATES the Kubrick movie. (Side Note: The new King book that came out today - Doctor Sleep - is a sequel to The Shining)

An adventure game is nothing more than a good story set with engaging puzzles that fit seamlessly in with the story and the characters, and looks and sounds beautiful.
Roberta Williams

Total Posts: 4247

Joined 2005-04-14

PM

Sefir - 24 September 2013 09:46 AM

I guess we have something in common then.

Why, of course.

Sefir - 24 September 2013 09:46 AM

And now the bad news considering my favorite actor...

Everybody wants to be Cary Grant.
Even Me.

-Cary Grant

Joined 2004-01-18

PM

Intense Degree - 24 September 2013 09:14 AM
Lucien21 - 24 September 2013 06:59 AM

Lord of the Rings movies are better than the books.

Mr 21! Really! Gasp

How came you to form such an opinion?! The films, brilliant as they are, greatly (and necessarily) lack the depth of the book(s) on any view surely?

Mostly because the movie improves on the pacing of the book. I’ve always hated how slow and pondering the book is. The whole gettin out of the shire and the annoying Tom Bombadil sections, take waaay too long.

The movie cuts alot of the back story chaff that isn’t needed.

Of Course this is just my opinion.

An adventure game is nothing more than a good story set with engaging puzzles that fit seamlessly in with the story and the characters, and looks and sounds beautiful.
Roberta Williams

Total Posts: 2978

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

Lucien21 - 24 September 2013 09:56 AM

The Shining is a great film, but the book is better. King famously HATES the Kubrick movie.

...and that’s how a Shining film/series was remade, supervised by Stephen King himself, making sure that the script stays entirely on King’s book and the result was the definition of awfulness…(and IMO, I trully believe that the film is far superior in the way it shows a man slowly driven away to madness compared to the book…)

I guess we just disagree on that…
Wink

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

@ Izno lets say that I spent years on Do Androids .. ,The Movie and Game that it feels like they are like mine Wink .. or maybe I cant find the exact word!

did you ever notice the number of Skin-jobs mentioned at the beginning (the Movie&Book;)who escaped the colonies and the number actually Deckard retired? , its just too good, I found at the IMDB that this titled as a goof, mistake , what a pity!

Joined 2004-01-18

PM

Sefir - 24 September 2013 10:04 AM
Lucien21 - 24 September 2013 09:56 AM

The Shining is a great film, but the book is better. King famously HATES the Kubrick movie.

...and that’s how a Shining film was remade, supervised by Stephen King himself, making sure that the script stays entirely on King’s book and the result was the definition of awfulness…
I guess we just disagree on that…
Wink

Never said that the remake was better, just that the book was better.

Kubrick made the film more about the father, marginalised the mother and the hotel itself as a character. It’s a domestic disaster about a father having a psychotic break.

Neither the book or movie is perfect, but it does highlight the differences between how effective horror can be done on the page and on the screen.

Both from the same source and both great in their own way.

I just prefer the novel.

Roberta Williams

Joined 2004-01-18

PM

My List would probably change every time I do one… Too many movies too little time.

1. Blade Runner - Prefer the final cut, but I never had an issue with the voice over in the original. Visually stunning, some of the best music in movies ever and that improvised scene with Batty on the roof is just pure genius.

2. Fight Club - Maybe it’s a generational thing and this movie only speaks to guys a certain age when it came out, but this movie just blew me away and the last scene with the gun and the bank buildings.  Gasp

3. Pulp Fiction - Redefined movies when it was released.

4. Star Wars - Empire Strikes Back - Best sequel ever.

5. LA Confidential - Brilliant cast and Film Noir at it’s best.

6. Shawshank Redemption - Best Stephen King Adaption hands down.

7. Amelie - Just a beautiful movie.

8. Princess Bride - Inconceivable. Most quotable movie ever and a pure joy to watch.

9. Big Lebowski - Probably my favourite Coen brothers movie.

10. Alien/Aliens - I always see these as the perfect pair and the perfect example of Suspense vs Action.

11-20

In no particular order

Toy Story
Nightmare before Christmas
Godfather
Jaws
Die Hard
Before Sunrise/Before Sunset
Misery
Matrix
Fargo
Pans Labyrinth

Others
Heat
Back to the Future
Casablanca
T2
Psycho
Schindlers List
Close Encounters
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless mind
Magnolia
Se7en
Unforgiven
Memento
Stand By Me

Roberta Williams

Total Posts: 48

Joined 2013-04-25

PM

Wow I’m surprised people keep these sort of lists Smile a lot of those movies are REALLY good.  I guess at the top of my head I’ll go with Ratatouille and Gattaca (Sci-fi).  Both carry a strong “follow your dream even if everyone is against it”, which I have a soft spot for.

Games Played: Ace Attorney (PW 1-3, Apollo Justice, Miles Investigation), Hotel Dusk and Last Window, Professor Layton (Curious Village, Diabolical Box, Unwound Future, Lost Specter), 999 and Zero Escape, Walking Dead S1-2, Trace Memory, Area-X, Time Hollow, Ghost Trick, Indian Jones FoA   Currently Playing: Portal 2, PL - Miracle Mask, Dangan Ronpa

Joined 2004-01-18

PM

You have all mentioned some great movies where many of them would also find a way into my personal top 100 list, if I had one that is. Generally I try to restrict myself to top 3 or 5 lists.

So here is my personal top 3 list:

1. Blade Runner (Ridley Scot)
2. Dancer in the Dark (Lars von Trier)
3. AI (Steven Spielberg)

Never watched Dancer in the Dark, but at the time I had “Bjork-phobia” and her annoyingly squeeky singing put me off seeing her acting.

AI - Unfortunaly I liked the movie, but felt it was ruined by the sentimental ending. I fall on the side of the people who think the movie is 30 mins too long and they should have ended with the ambigious ending of him staring at the statue under the sea.

Roberta Williams

You are here: HomeForum Home → Other → Chit Chat → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top