• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Other → Chit Chat → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

angelus_04

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Recent movies seen

Total Posts: 5804

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Vitalina Varela seems interesting but not available just yet on either Amazon or Netflix.

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

chrissie - 02 September 2020 09:57 AM

Vitalina Varela seems interesting but not available just yet on either Amazon or Netflix.

i have watched it, it is so depressing and very low budgeted movie, but i can’t say it is bad, i only can say that when i watch non-english films i would love them to be at a league that is not available with the commercial movies, and from that perspective i don’t think it was that* good.

Total Posts: 8469

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Went to see Tenet last weekend.

Kind of hard to describe.

I want to go Nolan-fanboy and say “Nolan has done it again” because the movie is great, and it’s a massive mindfuck in terms of figuring out how the finer points of the film work. While I got the gist of it, my initial response was “I need to see this again” - something that also occurred with Memento and Inception.
The thing is, this time around, I’m not entirely sure a second viewing would really help. In a way this is his “most difficult” film yet, but in another way it’s also “weaker” Nolan - if there is such a thing.
The main character’s a blank slate, so hard to relate to; the emotional impact of the “mother trying to get away with her son from her abusive relationship” is minimal; and even the central mechanic of “time inversion” feels a bit gimmicky.

But then again, the film is intricately constructed. You spend half the movie figuring out “where are they going with this?” and then half a movie being mindblown as you get new perspectives on things. And the action sequences look absolutely stunning. The “car flip in reverse” chase scene would probably make Michael Bay and the Wachowski’s proud, several close combat scenes are far better than Nolan has done before, and it’s amazing that this guy did the entire transport freighter plane scene without models or CGI - all practical effects with an actual plane!

The film is intriguing, it’s fantastic to look at, it’s brainy. All the hallmarks we’re used of by Nolan. But it’s also flawed…

And Kenneth Branagh is fucking scary. Smile

Tenet - 3.5/5

3.5 is “very good” in my book (with 4 being the cut-off for brilliance). Nolan has never dipped below a 3.5 for me in 11 films (with most being 4 or 4.5). Puts him in a masterclass of his own… Thumbs Up

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 310

Joined 2018-12-01

PM

Advie - 05 September 2020 06:21 PM

i have watched it, it is so depressing and very low budgeted movie, but i can’t say it is bad, i only can say that when i watch non-english films i would love them to be at a league that is not available with the commercial movies, and from that perspective i don’t think it was that* good.

Did you skip the ending or something? I just don’t know how you could find it depressing otherwise. There are not many movies with a hopeful perspective on death and healing, but this is one.

TimovieMan - 07 September 2020 05:20 AM

Went to see Tenet last weekend.

Kind of hard to describe.

I want to go Nolan-fanboy and say “Nolan has done it again” because the movie is great, and it’s a massive mindfuck in terms of figuring out how the finer points of the film work. While I got the gist of it, my initial response was “I need to see this again” - something that also occurred with Memento and Inception.
The thing is, this time around, I’m not entirely sure a second viewing would really help. In a way this is his “most difficult” film yet, but in another way it’s also “weaker” Nolan - if there is such a thing.
The main character’s a blank slate, so hard to relate to; the emotional impact of the “mother trying to get away with her son from her abusive relationship” is minimal; and even the central mechanic of “time inversion” feels a bit gimmicky.

But then again, the film is intricately constructed. You spend half the movie figuring out “where are they going with this?” and then half a movie being mindblown as you get new perspectives on things. And the action sequences look absolutely stunning. The “car flip in reverse” chase scene would probably make Michael Bay and the Wachowski’s proud, several close combat scenes are far better than Nolan has done before, and it’s amazing that this guy did the entire transport freighter plane scene without models or CGI - all practical effects with an actual plane!

The film is intriguing, it’s fantastic to look at, it’s brainy. All the hallmarks we’re used of by Nolan. But it’s also flawed…

And Kenneth Branagh is fucking scary. Smile

Tenet - 3.5/5

3.5 is “very good” in my book (with 4 being the cut-off for brilliance). Nolan has never dipped below a 3.5 for me in 11 films (with most being 4 or 4.5). Puts him in a masterclass of his own… Thumbs Up

Every time I’ve gone to see a Nolan flick I’m always wanting to tell him something like “this is extremely cool and all, but what’s your point?” They just seem like impressive stylistic experiments designed to WOW you but once you’re back home days later all you can recall is the wow factor. And some of his movies don’t even have that - The Prestige was extremely boring to me. The positive side is that he’s not actually that old, and if there’s anything that will make him a better filmmaker it’s aging, facing death, questioning the purpose of life.

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Vehelon - 10 September 2020 12:01 AM
Advie - 05 September 2020 06:21 PM

Did you skip the ending or something? I just don’t know how you could find it depressing otherwise. There are not many movies with a hopeful perspective on death and healing, but this is one.

did you know ?? Innocent , i didn’t finish it really, could be my mistake, but you do understand, to watch a movie and keep your eyes all the time at the low frame of the picture to read the subtitles is not joyful at all, esp, that you miss the experience of watching the actors most of the time so that what I mean; to watch a foreign movie it has to captivate me to great extend and so much to be able to finish it and enjoy it. but however with your suggest-ful liking to the movie, as Chrissie too, i will give another run.

Total Posts: 310

Joined 2018-12-01

PM

Thumbs Up

It’s a good question though - if 99% of a movie is depressing, the other 1% extremely not-depressing, does that make it depressing?

Or what if you have a very fun, uplifting movie with a totally depressing ending?

Do we go by percentages, the number of minutes you have a smile on your face? or is it the overall message that counts?

Total Posts: 8469

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Vehelon - 10 September 2020 12:01 AM

Every time I’ve gone to see a Nolan flick I’m always wanting to tell him something like “this is extremely cool and all, but what’s your point?” They just seem like impressive stylistic experiments designed to WOW you but once you’re back home days later all you can recall is the wow factor. And some of his movies don’t even have that - The Prestige was extremely boring to me. The positive side is that he’s not actually that old, and if there’s anything that will make him a better filmmaker it’s aging, facing death, questioning the purpose of life.

While I don’t necessarily think every movie needs to have “a point” and can easily be enjoyed for what they are, I think Nolan most of the time does extremely well in adding at least something of an emotional core to accompany the twists and “holy shit!” moments. In Tenet it’s mainly the mother trying to get away from her abusive husband together with her son. Where it falls flat is that we only hear her talk about her son, we don’t actually see him all that much which hurts the impact it could/should have.
The Prestige - also “weaker” Nolan - lacks an emotional core altogether and has the disadvantage of starring some *very* unlikable characters, which means you have no-one to root for and thus don’t care as much about what happens to them.

In other films he did quite a lot better, I feel. In Interstellar we have the whole “father not being able to keep his promise to come back to his daughter to see her grow up”, and Inception even has the double whammy of Cobb’s grief over (accidentally) driving his wife to suicide AND the broken relationship between Robert Fischer and his father…

But, again, Tenet still is a cool film and if anything, Nolan’s action direction has greatly improved over the years. The “revolving hallway” in Inception was something of a turning point for him in that regard. The moment his action direction took a leap forward.

In other news, I watched Mirage (original Spanish title: Durante la Tormenta) on Netflix last weekend. Reminded me a bit of Frequency with it’s “communicating with the past and inadvertently changing it” concept, but this was a bit more serious, and had a nice twist at the end. Overall a very well-made and intriguing film.
This is in fact the second film of writer/director Oriol Paulo I’ve seen. I watched “The Invisible Guest” aka “Contratiempo” last year and that was an excellent thriller with an equally nice twist at the end.
Seeing as how this guy now is 2 for 2 in my book, I’m going to take a closer look at his other films… Smile

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

I’ve just watched Cuties - I was hoping that all of the negative comments were based on impressions out of context.
I’ve now cancelled my Netflix subscription as this film is bad & should never have been made as it is vile.

Total Posts: 1338

Joined 2009-08-06

PM

Contratiempo is an excellent mystery/thriller. The fact I saw the twist coming 1 minute into the movie doesn’t change that.

Total Posts: 55

Joined 2020-09-23

PM

chrissie - 14 September 2020 05:05 PM

I’ve just watched Cuties - I was hoping that all of the negative comments were based on impressions out of context.
I’ve now cancelled my Netflix subscription as this film is bad & should never have been made as it is vile.

And it doesn’t help that its director, the french-israeli Sylvain de Zangroniz, auditioned 650 little girls and asked them to do “provocative dance moves”.

People allowed our culture to become this sordid and no amount of unsubscribing/cancelation will change its course, unfortunately.

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

Cuties is NOT on my list of movies to watch. Thanks for the heads up.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

I’ve just watched the Shape of Water which has won an Oscar & numerous Academy awards…..I’m wondering why? Don’t get me wrong I liked the film a lot but I couldn’t help finding it a tad ‘silly’ & not particularly special. The reason why, as it was superbly presented/acted is that a fantastical story always has to suspend belief which I don’t believe it did successfully. Nice story but could have been better!

Total Posts: 506

Joined 2014-08-01

PM

I don’t know which were the other films nominated that year but in general and unfortunately they like to award films saturated with political correctness and Shape of Water is just that, a correct product, that’s why I stopped paying attention to the Oscars years ago.

As for the movie itself, I agree that it’s a bit silly. We all know that in this kind of movies we have to suspend reality to enjoy the story they pretend to tell us, and that’s fine, but the story no matter the context has to be believable, if it understands the difference and I don’t think Shape has achieved that.

” I remember. Somebody died. It was me.”
~

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

I liked The Shape of Water, it reminded of The Creature from the Black Lagoon, a true classic.

Special Effects were simply amazing.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Other → Chit Chat → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top