• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Other → Chit Chat → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Jdawg445

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Recent movies seen

Total Posts: 532

Joined 2009-06-07

PM

TimovieMan - 09 July 2012 02:16 PM

In other news:

Ice Age 4: Continental Drift - 3 / 5

Ice Age 4 was more fun than I’d thought when going in. The story is thin, but the humour is good, and there’s plenty of chuckles to be had.
The film suffers from the same problem as the third one, though: there’s far too many main characters. There were 4 main characters in the first one, 7 in the second, 9 in the third and now a whopping 12!
And while none of the sequels has ever come close to the level of quality of the first one (which is one of the very few 3D animated films that’s up to Pixar’s level, imo), but at least none of them have been bad, and all of them have at the very least been funny…

I went to watch it with my four year old brother last week. I liked it and so did he. I think where it surpassed the previous two sequels was the characters. Captain Gutt is a very decent villain. I’d have loved to hear Peter Dinklage’s work but my brother can’t read subtitles yet so I had to settle for some Dutch actor. And the lady sabretoothed cat was a pretty well developed character as well. Also there was a real sense of adventure in this one which I liked. Plus there was Scrat which is always good. What I really didn’t like was the Peaches storyline. That might be fun when you’re a kid but I found it really really annoying. Luckily the ending made up for it and overall I’d say that of the 3D films I’ve seen Ice Age films are one of the few I can actually enjoy as a film rather than as an activity I can do with my baby brother. Still I miss the magic of the old 2D Disney classics.

Total Posts: 2648

Joined 2004-01-18

PM

Personally I think they are flogging an extinct Mesohippus with the Ice Age franchise, but as long as the kids keep enjoying it, they will still make them.

An adventure game is nothing more than a good story set with engaging puzzles that fit seamlessly in with the story and the characters, and looks and sounds beautiful.
Roberta Williams

Total Posts: 1555

Joined 2005-12-06

PM

And they surely enjoy it. My 4-yo loves all the Ice Ages and Shreks etc. and is not going to get bored with the nth sequel.

Meh for the second Batman reboot. I hope they don’t try to milk this Avengers thing to death.

Currently Playing: Dragon Age Origins: Awakening
Recently Played: Red Embrace: Hollywood, Dorfromantik, Heirs & Graces, AI: The Somnium Files, PRICE, Frostpunk, The Shapeshifting Detective (CPT), Disco Elysium, Dream Daddy, Four Last Things, Jenny LeClue - Detectivu, The Signifier

Total Posts: 932

Joined 2004-03-23

PM

Saw Paris, Je T’aime yesterday. Wonderful movie. In case you don’t know, it’s built from little, separate, completely different (in style) episodes set in different parts of Paris. All written and directed by different writers and directors. No storyline or anything like that, just little episodes set in Paris.

I personally preferred the subsequent New York, I Love You even more (as I recall), but especially the last four episodes in Paris were simply marvellous. And of course for example the little episode by the Coen brothers.

4/5 or something like that Smile

I’m so glad I finally started checking out the Audiovisual Archives’ movie schedule. If only I’d started earlier, there’s so much I missed. Just this spring, they had a major David Lynch theme. Pretty much all his full-length movies. Gah… Oh well, better have a better lookout from now on!

Joined 2009-06-07

PM

Lucien21 - 09 July 2012 03:35 PM

Personally I think they are flogging an extinct Mesohippus with the Ice Age franchise, but as long as the kids keep enjoying it, they will still make them.

Well the ice age was a considerably long period of time. And as far as I know Mammoths and Sloths and the like had a very long life expectancy so realistically there’s still room for a couple hundred more sequels. Wink

Total Posts: 2648

Joined 2004-01-18

PM

The Dark Knight Rises

Final part of Nolan’s Batman trilogy sees Christian Bale return as the gruff voiced comic book hero.

Eight years have passed since the death of Harvey Dent and Batman taking the fall for his murder. Bruce has hung up the tights and retreated from the world.

Not all is right in Gotham as a mysterious villian called Bane has come to the city, a beautiful Cat Burgler prowls the night and Commissioner Gordon is struggling to cope.

I enjoyed the hell out of this movie. It’s a long one, being nearly three hours in length.

With lots of nods to various classic Bat stories like Dark Knight Returns, No Mans Land and Knightfall there is plenty for a comic fan like myself to geek out about.

However it is filmed in a very realistc and gritty manner that gives these films a grounding that Spiderman or Avengers can’t achieve. You will believe that a Billionaire playboy with a good tech department can don an armoured suit and fight crime.

Performances are good for the most part with Ann Hathaway’s Selina Kyle and Joseph-Gordon Levitt as a Police Detective being the stand outs. Tom Hardy is fine as the villianous Bane, but isn’t as good as the Joker from the previous film.

Overall it is a fitting ending to the trilogy and one hell of a ride.

5/5

An adventure game is nothing more than a good story set with engaging puzzles that fit seamlessly in with the story and the characters, and looks and sounds beautiful.
Roberta Williams

Joined 2009-06-07

PM

Lucien21 - 21 July 2012 02:06 PM

The Dark Knight Rises

Final part of Nolan’s Batman trilogy sees Christian Bale return as the gruff voiced comic book hero.

Eight years have passed since the death of Harvey Dent and Batman taking the fall for his murder. Bruce has hung up the tights and retreated from the world.

Not all is right in Gotham as a mysterious villian called Bane has come to the city, a beautiful Cat Burgler prowls the night and Commissioner Gordon is struggling to cope.

I enjoyed the hell out of this movie. It’s a long one, being nearly three hours in length.

With lots of nods to various classic Bat stories like Dark Knight Returns, No Mans Land and Knightfall there is plenty for a comic fan like myself to geek out about.

However it is filmed in a very realistc and gritty manner that gives these films a grounding that Spiderman or Avengers can’t achieve. You will believe that a Billionaire playboy with a good tech department can don an armoured suit and fight crime.

Performances are good for the most part with Ann Hathaway’s Selina Kyle and Joseph-Gordon Levitt as a Police Detective being the stand outs. Tom Hardy is fine as the villianous Bane, but isn’t as good as the Joker from the previous film.

Overall it is a fitting ending to the trilogy and one hell of a ride.

5/5

I thought the film fell flat. Where The Dark Knight managed to be not just really dark but at times even deep and meaningful it’s sequal is just an average ordinary action romp with lots of way overdone action and onedimensional characters. The story was okay though with a nice twist the way we’re used to from Christopher Nolan and the acting was good. The movie wasn’t bad but I expected more from Nolan.

Total Posts: 8469

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

The Amazing Spider-Man - 3/5

Too soon for a reboot which means you can’t NOT compare it to the Tobey Maguire one. And I liked the other one better, although it also had its flaws and this one has improved on a few things.
Andrew Garfield’s a lot better than Tobey Maguire, imo. More believable as a geek with sudden powers, and he’s edgier (which allows for sarcasm - which is a plus). The bridge scene was a LOT better than the bridge scene in the Maguire one (which was one of the two scenes I hated the most in that one), but then the Uncle Ben speech was a lot sappier, the Lizard isn’t as good a villain as the Green Goblin, the entire virus/antidote plot line makes the scale too big (and unbelievable imo) and I liked Mary-Jane more than I did Gwen Stacy (plus I’m not buying Emma Stone’s performance). And don’t get me started on that ridiculous crane-aligning scene…
They also manage to start several plot lines and suddenly leave them hanging: the search for Uncle Ben’s killer stops without an explanation and all the events surrounding Parker’s father suddenly stop getting mentioned until during the ending credits (where they serve as a cliffhanger).
The film’s not bad, but it has quite a few flaws that just seem bigger than they are because really, this was far too soon for a series reboot…

Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter - 2/5

Love the title, love the concept, hate the execution of it. Quite a lot of historic references that are given a vampire twist can’t save what is otherwise a mediocre movie with bad action sequences. I’m used to seeing better things (especially in action direction) from director Bekmambetov…

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 32

Joined 2005-07-01

PM

Dark Knight Rises, went to see it last night and thought it was awesome!  Didn’t like it as much as TDK or Avengers though.

“When government surveillance and intimidation is called “freedom from terrorism” or “liberation from crime”, freedom and liberty have become words without meanings.”
~ Chad Dumier, “Deus Ex”

The Adventure Game Enthusiast

Total Posts: 932

Joined 2004-03-23

PM

TimovieMan - 25 July 2012 07:38 PM

Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter - 2/5

Love the title, love the concept, hate the execution of it. Quite a lot of historic references that are given a vampire twist can’t save what is otherwise a mediocre movie with bad action sequences. I’m used to seeing better things (especially in action direction) from director Bekmambetov…

Have you read the book? I understand it’s really good. I’ve heard very varying thoughts about the movie but pretty much nothing but praise about the book…

Total Posts: 21

Joined 2009-07-30

PM

“21 Jump Street” - haven’t laughed so hard in a long time. Had a great time, and I needed that Smile

Finished: Assassin’s Creed 2 (PS3)
Playing now: Assassin’s Creed Brotherhood (PS3), The Longest Journey (PC)
To continue: So Blonde (PC), Silent Hill Homecoming (PS3)

Total Posts: 7

Joined 2011-06-16

PM

It was Avengers all the way hitting the Screen till Dark Knight Rises Entered ....

Total Posts: 21

Joined 2009-07-30

PM

Ah yes, saw “The Dark Knight Rises” too a few days ago. It was okay, but TDK was better. I liked the Joker better as a villain than Bane. And I expected more out of Catwoman.

Finished: Assassin’s Creed 2 (PS3)
Playing now: Assassin’s Creed Brotherhood (PS3), The Longest Journey (PC)
To continue: So Blonde (PC), Silent Hill Homecoming (PS3)

Total Posts: 7

Joined 2006-06-20

PM

I’ve watched on Bluray - HUGO. 5/5 - A very great Martin Scorsese movie, especially when Hugo says that everything in life has a purpose and you can get broken if you do not have a purpose anymore. Up untill I saw the extra material on the bluray I thought the whole thing was made up. It isn’t. A man named George Melies really existed, they really tinted the celluloid film strips, and he really had a great imagination. I also liked that the sets in the movie were real, not CGI-made.

And now to simething completely - ehm - British.

I also have seen - on bluray as well - The best exotic marigold hotel. A very fine ensemble movie 5/5 again. It deals with people that longs for the golden years of the British Empire and thus take a trip to India. And the most amazing thing happens, especially with the character played by Dame Maggie Smith as she was nice to a casteless person in India. Not to reveal too much about the ending, but the character Maggie Smith plays does something surprising at the end.

Total Posts: 3

Joined 2011-06-17

PM

Hi guys
if you like something about shinigami then I recommend you the anime TV series Death Note which has a detective kind of story.
maybe I could provide you some free links to download , so let me know if you want it.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Other → Chit Chat → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top