• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

AG Community Playthrough #78: The Case of the Golden Idol

Total Posts: 7446

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

From an interview with the devs:
We felt that there were still unanswered problems in the point-and-click detective genre that had yet to be solved in a satisfying way. We wondered why there were so few successors to the Return of Obra Dinn, a boundary-pushing title that laid the foundations of a great framework on how to feel like a detective.

Welcome everybody! Let’s put our little gray cells to work again and have fun discovering the many wondrous secrets of the Golden Idol! If you have already played the game, I hope you will join the playthrough at any time and post your comments.

What do you need to know before we start?

Highlights. As you will see when you start the game, the devs recommend playing with the highlights on when exploring. Finding all the clues by yourself will be considerably harder and for some players more fun. But you can switch them on if you really get stuck on the last clue, and turn them off again whenever you feel like it (in the upper right hand corner)

Thinking Panel. Looks daunting at first. Don’t worry, you’ll get the hang of it in no time. The only thing I personally don’t like is that all those lovely blanks are an invitation to start guessing. It’s easy to fall into the bruteforcing trap and try all the words on the blanks when you don’t quite understand yet who did what and why.

Hints. Yes, there are hints, but the game makes you work for them. Not necessarily a bad thing. (I tried them only once and found the hint I got utterly useless.)

DLC. Released recently. Three more murder scenes which took place before the overarching story. But this prequel should only be played after you’ve finished the main game.

Demo. Consists of the first two murders in Chapter One and the first murder in Chapter Two. For those of you who have played it: The third part of Chapter One will be new to you. NB: One document in Chapter Two was changed and another one deleted, to make the demo more of a stand-alone experience.

So…
1. Buy, download and install the game.
2. Play Part I and Part II of Chapter One: Complications in the Family as a short and easy tutorial. Won’t take you long.
3. Let me know when you’re ready to tackle the more difficult scenes!

Butter my buns and call me a biscuit! - Agent A

Total Posts: 513

Joined 2005-07-07

PM

I’ve been planning to play this game for quite a while, so I guess now is a good time to start. Like others in the voting thread I may want to play this game at exactly my own tempo, but let’s see how things feel when the playthrough begins to move forward. Either way I’ll probably pop by with comments when chronologically appropriate.

The game is installed and running. Tried playing with a controller emulating an Xbox pad at first. Everything worked fine except for the most essential function, the action button (left-click). I would guess the best way to play this is with the mouse/keyboard anyway, so.

I managed to misread your directions @Karlok and played the complete Complications in the family chapter (all three parts). I’m very intrigued! Love the mechanics of putting things together and the presentation overall is great. I found myself talking out loud when reasoning and considering. I’m already sensing this will be a game that will rank very high among my favorite games. I have really tiny quibbles regarding a couple of the clues though, but I’ll get back to those later.

Total Posts: 5837

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

I’d already played the first 2 parts in the demo but it was a while ago so I’ve uninstalled the demo & bought the full game + the extra content. I replayed those first 2 parts & am ready to move on.

In Chapter 2 I couldn’t find any reference to where Sebastian Cloudsley was Lord of? I guessed but did I miss something? 

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

@Veovis: I’m interested in your quibbles. (I have some too, they will keep.)

@chrissie: The manor faces the river.

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Thanks Karlok, I thought I was being observant when I got the horse but obviously not enough!

Joined 2005-07-07

PM

Karlok - 21 May 2023 09:17 AM

@Veovis: I’m interested in your quibbles. (I have some too, they will keep.)

One of the clues regarding the dining attire in part 2 was a bit silly. Who has a painting on the wall of themselves eating duck roast alone? Was we even to believe that painting is of Sebastian in his dining attire eating duck the day before he died (as indicated in the diary)? In that case it’s even sillier.

The other tiny quibble is a bit premature since it concerns part 3. One part of the puzzle is about deciding which is which of the Pear twins. The puzzle is cleverly clued by the list of chores on the stable door + the date on Edmund’s paper + the horse brush on the burning person. The burning man must be James Pear. But they spoil the satisfaction of solving that somewhat by having the guy next to the burning man carrying a knife with a capital “A” (for Adam) carved in it. We already know he is a Pear brother since he carries the book with “property of the Pear family” or something along those lines written on it. So already from the knife on one twin + the horse brush on the other we really know which twin is which. I thought the writing/puzzle construction was a bit “meh” there.

Also, on the technical side, It’s a tiny bit annoying that the cursor often is “dead” after backing out of interactive/close-up screens. I have to move the cursor around for a bit before it starts registering interactive spots again. Very minor thing but still.

Total Posts: 183

Joined 2021-03-21

PM

I played the first 2 parts of the first chapter and i do like the format of the gameplay. Its something new and refreshing. Also its fun playing detective and linking evidence. My only concern so far is that you can try all the words you find to the scenarios and you can complete the scenario this way but i guess its just a tutorial chapter and things gonna be harder.

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Veovis - 21 May 2023 11:22 AM

One of the clues regarding the dining attire in part 2 was a bit silly. Who has a painting on the wall of themselves eating duck roast alone?

I don’t get your objection to it Veovis to be quite honest so sorry to disagree. It’s a portrait of the guy doing what he enjoys i.e eating duck roast & why not? Portraits generally just depict the subject alone. There’s no way it could have been painted the day before he died & so I would conclude that he ate duck a lot but obviously the purpose of the portrait was to help identify one of the jackets

Total Posts: 2071

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

Restarted the game and played the first two chapters. I agree they work great as an introduction to the gameplay, it becomes more complex later on. From what I remember, the next chapter already have at least one puzzle that stumbled me for a good while (although it was because of some poor clueing I think, I wonder if it was fixed in the updates).

PC means personal computer

Total Posts: 1655

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

Wife and i played the demo. We both thought it was ok, but nothing great. Interesting concept but not enough to hook us. But have fun on the playthrough

Total Posts: 645

Joined 2017-08-27

PM

Locked and loaded. Played through all 3 cases of the first Chapter simply because I played the first two in the demo, and I couldn’t help myself but to add a bit of new experience - sorry, Karlok, I will stay with the pace from now on!
I really enjoyed it, just like I enjoyed the demo before, AND I’m happy that I played that extra bit, because it definitely got a tad more complex and, therefore, a tad more interesting, so I can see the potential of how these cases can get more tangled. I sure hope they do.

For now, I’m playing with highlights on, because I’m not a huge fan of pixel hunting (and as per developers - that’s what turning off that function will add to a game), plus I don’t necessarily think that this will add the kind of difficulty I’m hoping for - the “thinking” kind, but I do see how it can add to overall slower progress.

I also think that not every game is supposed to be this great challenge (and I remember Obra Dinn being quite challenging in some parts), some games meant to be entertaining more than brain-breaking, and maybe The Case of Golden Idol will be just that. Either way, I’m still happy I’ve made this purchase.

I hope we’ll go at a quick pace Smile

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Installed (including the DLC) and ready to go. Will try to play the first two parts tomorrow.

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

@Veovis: Yes, the devs clearly overdid it in that particular example in part III. Even worse, just zoom in (mouse wheel) on James’ knife… But on the whole I found it helpful that there are often several clues to identify people and understand what’s going on. It also adds flesh to the bare bones. Like in part II: the saddled horse running around is enough to determine what happened to Sebastian in his hunting attire, but the blood trail from the door to the bed confirms that the ladder is not the culprit. Or vice versa.

Veovis - 21 May 2023 11:22 AM

, on the technical side, It’s a tiny bit annoying that the cursor often is “dead” after backing out of interactive/close-up screens. I have to move the cursor around for a bit before it starts registering interactive spots again. Very minor thing but still.

Must be annoying. I’ve had no problems with the cursor so I can’t help you. Anybody?

Nico2021 - 21 May 2023 11:31 AM

My only concern so far is that you can try all the words you find to the scenarios and you can complete the scenario this way but i guess its just a tutorial chapter and things gonna be harder.

True. I mentioned it in my first post. My main problem was:

The moment I see this message my brain stops thinking and goes into bruteforcing mode: “Oh, I’m so close, maybe the cauliflower is not correct, I’ll try the broccoli and the brussels sprouts.” Shifty Eyed My guess is that the devs were afraid people would find the game too hard, but I wish they’d offered the option to turn this off, like the highlights.

Everybody on board, great! And almost everybody has already played more than the first two introductory death scenes, so I think doing the first 6 parts his week should not be a problem. That’s Chapter One and Chapter Two. Number V is the most complicated one. But of course you decide if I’m going too fast or too slow.

Quote of the Day: The Devil is in the details!

Joined 2005-07-07

PM

Karlok - 22 May 2023 06:59 AM

But on the whole I found it helpful that there are often several clues to identify people and understand what’s going on. It also adds flesh to the bare bones.

I can see that, and this may be something I may appreciate later on in the game. But the “overclueing” in chapter 3 surprised me a bit since I had anticipated (and wished for I guess) the same hard level sudoku-ish approach to puzzle design as in the obvious inspiration for this game, Return of the Obra Dinn. But I realise we’re only at the beginning of the game of course.

Absolutely agree about that help the game gives you regarding how close you are to the solution. Should definitely at least be possible to turn off.

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

I found the combination of the interface & the graphical style in The Return of the Obra Dinn, as brilliant as I thought it was, too whizzy for me to progress very far. So, the approach to puzzle design in The Case of the Golden Idol, which I much prefer from an interface & graphical style perspective, is still very much a novelty to me! 

I’ve finished playing part 3 of Chapter 1 & although the clues I know are there I did end up guessing in places so I appreciated the ‘over-cluing’. 
I also appreciate being able to revisit different parts to see what clues I missed.

I do like that the game lets you know how close to a solution you are but I would agree that it should be optional. Yes, I was tempted to brute force too but also to re-explore to see what I’d missed.

Yes, it does look like the game is going to get more intricate & I’ve already got into the habit of taking notes!

I’m loving this so far & can’t wait to play on…….

Total Posts: 6590

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

I bought the game few months ago, passed the first couple of cases… Amazing premise and something I wished to find in a sleuth adventure game for years - the feel that I’m really the detective, and not just clicking my way through. I’d give it 10 if the presentation was according to the other aspects of the game, but I got used to it.

This is a good excuse to continue where I left, thanks Karlok for doing this.

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top