• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Casual Games Thread

Total Posts: 5051

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I won’t. Been there. My wife likes the Puppetshow games. I haven’t played one since the series jumped the shark in Game #4. She was having problems with a puzzle in, let’s say, Game #52, and asked me for help. I loaded the game and played to the point were her problem was, solved the problem and showed here the solution. Now that may seem sexist, but it isn’t intended that way. She likes casual games. She knows that I have played many more than she has. And there is some kind of “aura” attached to the fact that I’ve been moderating a thread devoted to the genre for almost nine years.

But, to the point ... I found the game moderately enjoying so I finished it. And, by moderately enjoying, I mean it was not two fingers down your throat, gag-awful bad. So there is life after game #4.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

In the absence of participation in the CPT I’m taking the opportunity to replay the Enigmatis trilogy. Something I do every other year or so. Still good after many years.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 2454

Joined 2019-12-22

PM

Nice! Definitely a highlight in the genre. The second part is the best, i think, though each part does different things right.

Total Posts: 1785

Joined 2010-01-10

PM

I agree that the series is one of the better ones with the first being OK, the second good and the third OK but rather trite in places and, as the finale, let the series down somewhat. Still worth playing though.

To my mind a better series is True Fear - Forsaken Souls. An excellent cross between casual and adventure light (would have made a brilliant full blown adventure game with a few changes). The first two parts have been released but there’s been a major hiatus regarding part 3 with all sorts of things getting in the way. But, fingers crossed, it’s slated for release Summer/Autumn this year. Even if you’re not a fan of casual games I still heartily recommend the series.

Life is what it is.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Well, I’ve just started Ravenwood. Maple Creek, the first game in the series was the first to use the Spark engine for hidden object scenes. It was also created by Artifex Mundi, the creator of the Enigmatis games.

While some might not think so, the engine revolutionized casual games. No longer were you faced with a static scene of random objects. Objects could now be hidden behind other objects. Objects could be moved to uncover other objects. Objects could be seen in silhouette. And the list goes on. More than a few game developers said that they would have gone under without the engine. This was all pre-pandemic of course, so some developers probably went under anyway.

Anyway, yes, the first game is the roughest when it comes to production values. But it still presents a solid story that also introduces us to the main characters that continue through the rest of the series. Game two has, to my way of thinking, the best story of the three, and also shows a noticeable improvement in production values.

Game three also has a good storyline, and is the best when it comes to production values. I disagree with those that think it had a Meh ending. This, like the Drawn trilogy, was designed to be a game in three parts. So the fact that the protagonist were allowed to ride off into the sunset is something to be congratulated rather than derided. I would have been very disappointed if A-M decided to go the ERS/AMAX route, and we found ourselves looking at the equivalent of Puppetshow 37.

Perhaps I should replay the Drawn trilogy when I finish this one. Depends on what the next CPT nominees are, I guess. Smile

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Jabod - 21 March 2023 06:24 PM

To my mind a better series is True Fear - Forsaken Souls. An excellent cross between casual and adventure light (would have made a brilliant full blown adventure game with a few changes). The first two parts have been released but there’s been a major hiatus regarding part 3 with all sorts of things getting in the way.

Thanks for reminding me. I believe I played this based on your recommendation. If it’s the same game I remember its primary color palette was grey. I think it was more adventure than casual. I.e. Solid adventure with a few casual-style puzzles/scenes added. I may have played an earlier version of the game because I remember it being more than a little buggy. Hopefully, if there is a third chapter, the “total” game will have received a full makeover of the first two chapters.

Edit: That said, the bugginess of the first two chapters and the absence of the final chapter would require me to vote against a head-to-head comparison with either Enigmatis or Drawn.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2010-01-10

PM

rtrooney - 21 March 2023 07:22 PM

So the fact that the protagonist were allowed to ride off into the sunset is something to be congratulated rather than derided. I would have been very disappointed if A-M decided to go the ERS/AMAX route, and we found ourselves looking at the equivalent of Puppetshow 37.

It wasn’t the actual ending of the game I was criticising Tim, that was fine and definitely in context of the story arc, but the setup of the whole finale. Parts were definitely good but, as said originally, other parts were decidedly trite. I’m not going to put any specifics here as some readers might still be going to play the trilogy and it’s much better if they discover for themselves and agree or disagree accordingly.
As also said, the series is well worth playing regardless of the criticisms that I have.

Life is what it is.

Joined 2010-01-10

PM

rtrooney - 21 March 2023 07:34 PM

Thanks for reminding me. I believe I played this based on your recommendation. If it’s the same game I remember its primary color palette was grey. I think it was more adventure than casual. I.e. Solid adventure with a few casual-style puzzles/scenes added. I may have played an earlier version of the game because I remember it being more than a little buggy. Hopefully, if there is a third chapter, the “total” game will have received a full makeover of the first two chapters.

Edit: That said, the bugginess of the first two chapters and the absence of the final chapter would require me to vote against a head-to-head comparison with either Enigmatis or Drawn.

Odds on it was via my recommendation Tim. Palette is grey/brown/muted colours as you recall. As I remember you had the Steam version whereas I have the GoG and there appeared to be difference between the two. Just checked on both sites and Steam now has the enhanced game 1 which, I think, they didn’t originally. If true your version will upgrade to the enhanced if you re-install. What’s somewhat odd is that Steam has both games in their Spring sale for a combined price of under £4 (absolute bargain and the enhanced version allows you to play without the hidden object scenes moving them much more into the adventure light category (or even full adventure if you’re feeling generous)) but that sale price ends in a little over 24 hours but GoG doesn’t have it in their sale at all.

No further news on part 3, still aiming for late summer/early autumn.

Life is what it is.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Jabod - 22 March 2023 06:00 AM

Parts were definitely good but, as said originally, other parts were decidedly trite.

Not sure what you mean by trite, but I think I understand. You’ve got a chisel and a rock in inventory, and you need to crack open something. But using the rock with the chisel will not work. You need to find a hammer to use with the chisel in order to solve the puzzle.

I don’t think this is a situation that is a “casual game thing.” It’s something I see in almost every classic adventure as well.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2010-01-10

PM

You misunderstand Tim. It’s parts of the STORYLINE in part 3 that I find trite. This is specific to that part; nothing to do with casual games per se but an observation on what is too often found in “entertainment” across all types of genres.

From the Cambridge English Corpus:

“A second imperative is the avoidance of the cliche, the tired, the trite, the hackneyed.”

Life is what it is.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Jabod - 23 March 2023 06:25 AM

You misunderstand Tim. It’s parts of the STORYLINE in part 3 that I find trite. This is specific to that part; nothing to do with casual games per se but an observation on what is too often found in “entertainment” across all types of genres.

From the Cambridge English Corpus:

“A second imperative is the avoidance of the cliche, the tired, the trite, the hackneyed.”

Truce! My definition of trite is more along the line of a remark, opinion, or idea, overused and consequently of little import; lacking originality or freshness.
“this point may now seem obvious and trite”

So both our definitions may apply. Having the tools to perform a task, but not the “right” tools is trite as in it lacks originality and is a situation found in many game genres, not only casual.

So I am curious what represents an example of your definition of trite.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Finished Enigmatis 3 - Shadow of Karkhala yesterday afternoon. It was as good as always. Although the ending, however satisfying, is no longer a surprise. With every playing there is something I notice that indicates there is only one possible ending. I guess those things might be called “trite” even by my own definition. But a first-time player of the game would not know these things, so they couldn’t be “trite” to him or her.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2010-01-10

PM

rtrooney - 26 March 2023 07:16 PM

Finished Enigmatis 3 - Shadow of Karkhala yesterday afternoon. It was as good as always. Although the ending, however satisfying, is no longer a surprise. With every playing there is something I notice that indicates there is only one possible ending. I guess those things might be called “trite” even by my own definition. But a first-time player of the game would not know these things, so they couldn’t be “trite” to him or her.

That is so wrong as to be unbelievable!
What you’re saying is that every first time player would take your view and no other. Do you not understand how arrogant that is?

You don’t think part 3 is trite in some places that is perfectly acceptable and not contested. On the other hand I think that parts are trite and that should be just as acceptable and not contested. Debate if you wish but I’ve already said that I won’t post specifics as I want new players to approach the game without any preconceived ideas about parts of the game.
You like the game and seem to think it’s a masterpiece of its type but appear to think that any disagreement with that view is a personal attack. It isn’t. I just don’t agree with said view.

Life is what it is.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Your quote is not much different than mine. Nuance. But your other comments are simply insulting.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2010-01-10

PM

rtrooney - 28 March 2023 08:45 PM

Your quote is not much different than mine. Nuance. But your other comments are simply insulting.

And yours aren’t? You said NOBODY could find the 3rd part trite in parts playing it for the first time. Well, I did.

I’ve been here a few years now and one thing I’ve noticed about your good self. You really have difficulty with people disagreeing with your views.

oh well, C’est la vie Smile

Life is what it is.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top