• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

angelus_04

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

The Top 100 - what changes would you make?

Total Posts: 320

Joined 2022-05-09

PM

You mean if we’ll end up with this desaster of a list Jabod wants so badly. Hmm. I might not participate or vote for The Witness, Shadow Point, Deponia, The Last of Us, Time Stall, Happy Game, Memoria etc.

Total Posts: 5844

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

meteor - 23 June 2022 02:39 PM

You mean if we’ll end up with this desaster of a list Jabod want so badly. Hmm. I might not participate or vote for The Witness, Shadow Point, Deponia, The Last of Us, Time Stall, Happy Game, Memoria etc.

Please meteor, Jabod has expressed his opinions but he is not dictating the list + he is one of the most sincere & nicest members here.

Joined 2022-05-09

PM

I was kidding, but, who knows ...

For old ones I vote for Maniac Mansion, The Dig, Sam & Max - Hit the Road, Zak McKracken and the Alien Mindbenders, Grim Fandango, A Mind Forever Voyaging, Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis etc.

Total Posts: 5844

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

mmmm…Grim Fandango was in my mind as its still no 1? I played the game over a period of time (because I got bored partway through) & can’t in anyway refute that it’s an excellent game. But that game will not feature anywhere in my ‘essential’ game list for no other reason than I prefer another 100 games!  Smile

Total Posts: 5613

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

This list will be an informal one and is not intended to replace the current top 100.  I’d like the list to be simple, as Jabod laid out, and I’m all for including games from any time period.  I also think text adventures should be included.  The only thing I would caution is avoiding games where stealth, timed elements, or shooting take up most of the gameplay.

July is a good month for me to do this because it doesn’t conflict with other yearly events and obligations, which means I can put up the voting thread on July 1.  I’m inclined to let the addition of lists take place the entire month so that those on vacation and away from the internet can participate.

Difficult roads often lead to beautiful destinations.

Joined 2022-05-09

PM

@chrissie
I think Grim Fandango has qualities, you still don’t find in other adventures. I overall like it but it’s highly overrated. Without disrespect, the existing top 100 list is mostly off. I wouldn’t consider it thoughtful even when it was released. Now ... but it can introduce you to games you’re unfamiliar with nonetheless. It’s just not a good top 100 list.

Total Posts: 1801

Joined 2010-01-10

PM

meteor - 23 June 2022 02:39 PM

You mean if we’ll end up with this desaster of a list Jabod wants so badly.

Would you like to give some evidence of this non “joke”?

Life is what it is.

Total Posts: 860

Joined 2017-12-19

PM

Lady Kestrel - 23 June 2022 03:59 PM

The only thing I would caution is avoiding games where stealth, timed elements, or shooting take up most of the gameplay.

By “timed elements” do you mean QTEs?

If you mean any kind of timed action, then games like Freddy Pharkas: Frontier Pharmacist would be disqualified because every chapter in that game has an invisible timer.

What about games that can be played differently than they were designed to be played?
Was it one of Deus Ex games, or something similar, that can be played through without killing anyone, although the game mechanics has been designed to be an FPS game.

And because platforming wasn’t on that list, are games that have a lot of platforming allowed or not?

There’s also the big question about what separates adventures in this context from casual hidden object kind of games which have a narrative but very few puzzles, or on the other hand puzzle games which have lots of puzzles but no narrative.

Total Posts: 417

Joined 2018-03-07

PM

GateKeeper - 23 June 2022 04:34 PM

There’s also the big question about what separates adventures in this context from casual hidden object kind of games which have a narrative but very few puzzles, or on the other hand puzzle games which have lots of puzzles but no narrative.

What is a hand puzzle game?

Joined 2022-05-09

PM

@Lady Kestrel
But what if the the story, the characters and dialogues are way better than what you get in (most) traditional adventures. I get a lot more adventure out of a game like The Last of Us than with f.e. one of the QTE based TTG’s games, which btw. offer timed events too.

Total Posts: 2086

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

Lady Kestrel - 23 June 2022 03:59 PM

This list will be an informal one and is not intended to replace the current top 100.  I’d like the list to be simple, as Jabod laid out, and I’m all for including games from any time period.  I also think text adventures should be included.  The only thing I would caution is avoiding games where stealth, timed elements, or shooting take up most of the gameplay.

July is a good month for me to do this because it doesn’t conflict with other yearly events and obligations, which means I can put up the voting thread on July 1.  I’m inclined to let the addition of lists take place the entire month so that those on vacation and away from the internet can participate.

Sounds great. I’ve only got one suggestion: set a fixed number of games to be nominated by each voter, and the more, the better. Otherwise it might end up with either some developers or ad bots throwing in games they are currently selling, or a closed fan community promoting their favourite game(s) to the first place(s), or simply some trolls nominating the worst games imaginable. At this time and age everything is possible)

meteor - 23 June 2022 04:15 PM

Without disrespect, the existing top 100 list is mostly off. I wouldn’t consider it thoughtful even when it was released. Now ... but it can introduce you to games you’re unfamiliar with nonetheless. It’s just not a good top 100 list.

This is simply unfair. AG put a lot of effort into making it, it was a huge event at the time of release (which lasted for about a month I think) and people absolutely loved it, even if they disagreed with some nominations. Up to this day it is the most professionally done adventure list out there, even if it’s a decade old now. It was too big even for the AG stuff who planned to update it regularly, but just weren’t up to the task.

PC means personal computer

Joined 2022-05-09

PM

I can imagine this. This was before my time. When I saw it for the first time, it felt off to me. I have no doubt that it took a lot of effort though. As I wrote, I see the benefit in introducing you to (old) adventures you might be unfamiliar with, but I wouldn’t recommend it to people I know, who are interested in adventure like experiences.

Total Posts: 2086

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

Because it’s about adventure games, not adventure-like experiences. It’s a totally independent video game genre, same as RPG, FPS or TPS, not just any game with a story. And as such I think the list covers pretty much everything up to that point - all highlights, all time periods, multiple platforms, multiple languages and subgenres (I disagree with some like QTE or action-puzzle games belonging to adventures, but that’s just me). The only exception I can think of are text adventures, why I’m also skeptical about the “Infocom games” nomination - they should’ve probably just called it “TOP 100 graphic adventure games” if they weren’t sure about which games to include.

PC means personal computer

Total Posts: 417

Joined 2018-03-07

PM

meteor - 23 June 2022 04:51 PM

@Lady Kestrel
But what if the the story, the characters and dialogues are way better than what you get in (most) traditional adventures. I get a lot more adventure out of a game like The Last of Us than with f.e. one of the QTE based TTG’s games, which btw. offer timed events too.

Are you using adventure in the literal sense of the word? Because that’s incidental to the adventure game genre. I’m not sure what you mean by “I get a lot more adventure…”

Also, I don’t see why the quality of the writing would make something an adventure game or not. I liked the story mode in Mortal Kombat, it’s not an adventure game. Conversely there’s plenty of adventure games with stories I don’t like.

Joined 2022-05-09

PM

@Doom
Okay. I’m less interested in a pixel precise definition of a genre but in the experience I get out from games. After all I do play games, in my spare time, for the sheer joy of entertainment. Key elements of adventures are narration, characters and puzzles. If a game is very strong on some of these aspects I don’t care what else I need to do, as long as I enjoy it, and that’s an adventure experience, for me.

If you slavishly rely on definitions: Why do Infocom text adventures show up? What about timed events and action sequences in TTG’s games in an update? Which Amanita Design games do qualify? How will you handle AR/VR games?

I think you lose more than you gain when you’re restricting yourself this way.

As for the list, one example: What were people thinking to put The Dig not in the top 10, not in the top 20, not in the top 30 but on #92, with quite some mediocre games in between. I don’t know why, but there are more examples like this. This could have been hilarious for Card and Spielberg.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top