• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

rtrooney

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Syberia: The World Before

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

sylv - 16 March 2022 06:51 AM

I pre-ordered the game after having played the prologue. I really enjoyed that demo, and I want to support the developers by pre-ordering.
I cannot wait until the 18th!

Great! You’ll have to share your opinions of the game once you get it. Strange that there are no reviews yet, but I’m sure they will be plenty after the 18th.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 1655

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

There is an interview with the devs and new gameplay footage right now streaming live on the microds YouTube page.  but it’s in French i think.

Total Posts: 1655

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

Here is a review. Gave it 8.5/10

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.pcinvasion.com/syberia-the-world-before-review/amp/

The thing I took away from the review and the thing I liked the most is that the game really is just a slice of life for the characters. no big bad guys, no world ending threat to conquer. I wish we had more of those type games in general, regardless of genre.

Total Posts: 417

Joined 2018-03-07

PM

It’s got an 80 on meta currently. Only four reviews so that number will almost certainly change. Mid 7’s to Mid 8’s from whats dropped so far. Not reading too much to avoid spoilers but at the very least it seems like this isn’t a Syberia 3 level disaster.

I’m excited to play it. It seems like Microids put a lot of care and passion into this game.

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

Right now 5 stars on this site. That’s very good. All reviews say the game is a return to form for the series. I myself have read several of the reviews and I’m happy to see the series back on track.

It’s now on my must buy list.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 5051

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Jdawg445 - 16 March 2022 12:30 PM

Here is a review. Gave it 8.5/10

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.pcinvasion.com/syberia-the-world-before-review/amp/

The thing I took away from the review and the thing I liked the most is that the game really is just a slice of life for the characters. no big bad guys, no world ending threat to conquer. I wish we had more of those type games in general, regardless of genre.

Link doesn’t work.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 461

Joined 2003-09-12

PM

Try this instead: https://www.pcinvasion.com/syberia-the-world-before-review/

Now Playing: Harold Halibut, Final Fantasy VII Rebirth, Baldur’s Gate 3, Alan Wake Remastered, Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom
Recently Completed: Botany Manor, Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney Trilogy, Like a Dragon: Infinite Wealth, Silent Hill: The Short Message, Under the Waves
Anticipating: Beyond Good and Evil 2
Backing: Asylum

Total Posts: 513

Joined 2005-07-07

PM

I will reward the developer for seemingly having delivered a good Syberia game by buying it without waiting for a sale, although it will probably take some time before I’ll be able to actually play it. Lots of unplayed games in the pile as is and I think I want to return to the previous installments, including the pretty dreadful Syberia 3, before playing the new one. Part of my OCD personality (when it comes to gaming at least…). Smile

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

Veovis - 18 March 2022 06:14 AM

I will reward the developer for seemingly having delivered a good Syberia game by buying it without waiting for a sale, although it will probably take some time before I’ll be able to actually play it. Lots of unplayed games in the pile as is and I think I want to return to the previous installments, including the pretty dreadful Syberia 3, before playing the new one. Part of my OCD personality (when it comes to gaming at least…). Smile

That will take a while to play all four games. I’d estimate 50 hours playtime. Sounds like fun however and saving the fourth game for last.

Heart

Joined 2018-03-07

PM

I also replayed the entire series, including 3, in the run up to the games initial release date a few months back lol.

I actually like Syberia 3 in spite of the fact that it’s so crucially flawed that I’d have to call it a bad game.

The first time I played Syberia 3 I often thought “the team that made this could have made a good game, it just didn’t come together due to lack of resources/time/whatever reason.” Hopefully that’ll prove to be the case after I’ve played The World Before.

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

PlanetX - 18 March 2022 12:05 PM

I also replayed the entire series, including 3, in the run up to the games initial release date a few months back lol.

I actually like Syberia 3 in spite of the fact that it’s so crucially flawed that I’d have to call it a bad game.

The first time I played Syberia 3 I often thought “the team that made this could have made a good game, it just didn’t come together due to lack of resources/time/whatever reason.” Hopefully that’ll prove to be the case after I’ve played The World Before.

I can hardly wait for when this site posts a review of it. That’s going to be an epic read. I have no clue what happened with Syberia 3, it has been patched since it got released so I am tempted to pick it up……..well….maybe not.

Heart

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Dale - 17 March 2022 09:48 PM

Thanks. That worked. Good review. Makes me a bit more comfortable purchasing the game at the price it’s currently offered. (About 10-times what I would pay for a highly-rated indie game. You want AAA quality, you pay AAA price!) Although I will probably wait for a CPT before pushing the Buy button on GOG.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2018-03-07

PM

Played for about 7 hours at this point and I’m really enjoying myself. The game is taking it’s time to build the significance of the mystery surrounding Dana and its connection to Kate. Which is the right move as far as I’m concerned. One of the core problems with 3, above all the technical hiccups & budget restraints, was the Yukol migration plot just felt thrown together. It didn’t have the same level of intrigue and connection to the world as discovering Hans’ history & completing his quest. Now, in The World Before, Kate is once again uncovering tidbits of a mysterious person’s life, a person with ties to the history of the game’s settings. Which gets at something bigger than a simple journey from A to B with quirky characters along the way. I also appreciate the deeper look into Kate’s character and how her choices have impacted her life. Plus, the game already has some of my favorite Oscar & Kate moments in the entire series.

The only issue I have with the story is that the inciting motivation is fairly weak. (Kate’s cell mate dies and, rather unbelievably, her dying wish is for Kate to locate the girl in a painting they had been looking at for all of 45 seconds) A parallel motivation, which is actually much better, begins to emerge later on (that Kate has nothing else left, and is chasing the excitement of going from one grand adventure after another, to avoid facing the guilt she feels for abandoning her family & friends—especially her mother). I wish more emphasis was put on that earlier, because the initial dying promise to Katyusha just didn’t work for me.

Gameplay wise all the puzzles have been pretty easy so far but I’ve still enjoyed them. The last one I did had more going on with it and introduced an interesting mechanic. Switching back in forth, through time, between Dana & Kate (not a story spoiler, but just in case). I didn’t expect that Microids would implement a whole new aspect to the game ~5 hours in, but it seems the gameplay is ramping up slowly along with the story. It feels like I’m nearing the half way point, so I hope they continue to ratchet up the complexity going forward. But we’ll see.

Either way I’m happy with how the game is going. So far, it’s an adventure worthy of the Syberia name and a return to those larger than life mechanical European locales I love so much.

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

rtrooney - 18 March 2022 06:54 PM
Dale - 17 March 2022 09:48 PM

Thanks. That worked. Good review. Makes me a bit more comfortable purchasing the game at the price it’s currently offered. (About 10-times what I would pay for a highly-rated indie game. You want AAA quality, you pay AAA price!) Although I will probably wait for a CPT before pushing the Buy button on GOG.

Can we consider Syberia 4 to be an AAA game or just AA? I know Quantic Dream has an AAA adventure game reportedly in development, but it is years away from release.

Is Syberia 4 going to sell millions of copies or in the hundreds of thousands? Did this game, like Detroit Became Human have a budget of millions of dollars?

To me, it does not matter, it’s a great game either way and $39.95 is a good price compared to Sony charging $69.95 for AAA games.

Heart

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Adv_Lvr - 19 March 2022 11:23 AM

Can we consider Syberia 4 to be an AAA game or just AA? I know Quantic Dream has an AAA adventure game reportedly in development, but it is years away from release.

Is Syberia 4 going to sell millions of copies or in the hundreds of thousands? Did this game, like Detroit Became Human have a budget of millions of dollars?

To me, it does not matter, it’s a great game either way and $39.95 is a good price compared to Sony charging $69.95 for AAA games.

Heart

I think you are being a bit picky here. There are companies with staff and budgets that intend to create games that will generate profits for the company and its shareholders. Whether they are A. AA or AAA isn’t material. Their business models separate themselves from the indies.

As does the final product in almost every case. While an indie product is often sited for minor flaws, voice acting, music, graphics, continuity to name a few, those flaws are rarely found in any of the “A” games.

As for Sony. I don’t recall any non-platformer game they produced. Which puts them, and Nintendo, et al, in a whole different category.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top