• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

zane

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

book of shadows (being released 1/15)

Total Posts: 1902

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

Im not even sure if anyone else here played the original game (corpse party), but I thought it was a great adventure and the next installment will be on the psn this tuesday. Book of shadows is also supposed to have more traditional point&click; elements.. so im pretty excited. I particularly recommend this series to fans of the zero escape games (999). Theres lots of danger and intensity, and i really liked the overall plot. 
http://www.joystiq.com/2013/01/09/corpse-party-book-of-shadows-haunts-psn-next-week/

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Played the first one but still haven’t finished (funnily I got sidetracked playing 999 and VLR) but I should get back to it. Glad to see the sequel is coming. Very different adventure, it has excellent horror elements and ambiance.

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

yeah its pretty creepy and great ambiance, im thinking about playing the first game again before starting book of shadows, since i dont think it was overly long (maybe 10-15 hours). But i think im almost done VLR and thats eaten up 40 hours. My opinion is subject to change when i see the last two endings… but i definitely think i like VLR better than 999. Its mechanics are much better, but also the mechanics are integrated into the story better.

EDIT: i’ve played book of shadows for about 5 hours now… it sure is odd. So far its actually a sort of re-telling of corpse party, except in the first person adventure format. Surprisingly, im not sure if i like this gameplay style better than the original. Nevertheless i find hours zipping by as i lose myself in this game.

EDIT2: iv completed book of shadows, overall id say it was pretty good. Unfortunately the adventure mechanics werent very good. Lots of bland backgrounds with few or nothing to interact with. Puzzles were also very sparse. Also disappointing was how much of the game was spent re-treading the terrain from the last game. A very small sliver of the game is spent in a new location. But the storytelling was strong and intriguing. Hours passed very quickly while playing it.

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

There are some posts in the Dangaronda Thread about Corpse Party that I’d love to comment on.

1) I played the 2nd Corpse Party game and loved it. I don’t know how it compares to the first as I’ve just started it (2nd Chapter) but that one does look very good as well so far.

2) A third game in the series has been announced and I hope it get’s localized.

It is Corpse Party: Blood Drive

And it has many of the attributes of the first game that were absent in “Book of Shadows” the 2nd game.

3) These games average about 15 hours of gameplay for me so the price tag of $19.95 is reasonable compared to $4.95 average price of an ipad game - but they tend to be much shorter.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

Over time my feelings towards “book of shadows” have soured more and more. The storytelling was interesting.. but largely doesnt go anywhere.. and is at times just gross for no reason. The entire game was a setup to introduce a new game.. it was basically a filler-game. I still like the first game quite a bit though, its a very solid story.

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

The metacritic scores are slightly lower for the 2nd game - but very close. I myself loved the 2nd game for it’s creepy and strange atmosphere.

So far, as I complete the 2nd chapter of the 1st game, this game has the same creepiness - but with slightly lower graphics quality - and it is a much harder game too - death being much more common.

So, we’ll see if the third one gets localized, I’d love to give it a spin too.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 98

Joined 2004-02-16

PM

The first is harder? That’s good to know. I have tried dozens of times but can’t even finish the first chapter because I can’t escape the first ‘monster’ that attacks you… I am about to give up. But if the second game is easier, I will try that next.

Madre de Dios, es el Pollo Diablo!

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

That monster stopped me too. I was stuck for months. I got a youtube walkthrough and followed it to get past that monster.

Chapter 2 has another one - and using a walkthrough I got through it.

Here is the location of the walkthroughs:

DO TRY THE 2nd - it is MUCH easier - more puzzle orientated.

Heart

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

I recommend trying to stick with the first (sometimes theres places you have to visit or things you have to do before getting by a situation.) Book of shadows re-tells some of the events of the first game in a very choppy uneven way. You’ll get a full story with the first corpse party.

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

Both games are well worth the money. The first one just gets creepier and creepier as I play it - I do really like it too. BUT because of the easier play, much better graphics I feel the 2nd game is so good I’m going to replay it after finishing the first.

Heart

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top