• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Other → Chit Chat → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Three songs, in the moment

Total Posts: 1787

Joined 2010-01-10

PM

Charophycean - had a chance to listen and, whilst the first two are pleasantly relaxing, not really my thing although it was nice to hear that Melanie kept that “catch” in her voice.

I was a bit surprised to read of your association with Andean music and the ukulele. To me, that style of music is pipes of all sorts, strings and bells and whilst the ukulele definitely has strings it’s not of the variety that I’d expect to find here. Or am I missing something/unaware of something?

Life is what it is.

Total Posts: 2454

Joined 2019-12-22

PM

This is about three songs worth?

I was listening to Sílvia Pérez Cruz a couple of years ago, like those times her music faded to the background. I just thought of a song, looked it up and came across this video.

Joined 2019-12-22

PM

wow.

I sent this to one of my brothers a while ago and he brought it up a couple of times, so maybe someone here will get a kick out of it as well. It has a wacky AG sense of humour about it.

and now for something completely different, the best mashup I heard since Megavitas.

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Joined 2019-12-22

PM

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

3 songs of how i fell in love with metal in the mid-80s, right before I fell in love with adventure gaming Smile

Joined 2019-12-22

PM

awesome. I wish I had a car so I could drive around listening to this stuff.

Joined 2010-01-10

PM

Rary T’s

As anyone who has a vinyl record collection will know some vinyl is extremely rare and therefore valuable. Although some is by famous bands (and the truly valuable resides here) most are by bands/artistes that people have never heard of. This can be a double plus for vinyl (and even CD!) collectors as you automatically get a far better listening experience and an investment - neither of which is possible if you just download for free or as cheaply as possible.
What can be slightly surprising is that some very well know albums by well known artistes can be valuable, my comment above notwithstanding. Within my own collection from the start alphabetically is Tori Amos and, from the end, Neil Young. We’re not talking massive amounts, £60 to £100 maybe, but this, I think, is due to the CD explosion of the time and little vinyl was bought.

I’ve been waiting to post this for some time but have waited until now so that I can use the ghastly pun above Laughing My digitisation has now reached the letter T so I’m happy using said pun.

First up is a track from T.2,‘s “It’ll All Work Out In Boomland” album from 1970. They were touted as the new Cream which probably did them more harm than good what with Clapton’s deification still ongoing. If you wanted to buy my copy it would set you back around £250 - £300.

Next is a track from Tractor’s eponymous album released in 1972. The original (my copy) was released on John Peel’s Dandelion label. When it sold rather better when re-released some years later on a different label John Peel is on record as saying that if people had bought the original on release his Dandelion label might still be going. My copy of this would set you back £300 - £325.

The 3rd is an oddity as I don’t own an original vinyl version. My copy is a CD re-release but I do have it signed by all band members. Although only worth about £20 (mainly due to the signatures) this will never be sold as I’m friends with 2 of the band (sadly though one is now deceased) and the album’s producer.

The album is Tickawinda’s Rosemary Lane. Released in 1979 by Pennine Records as a virtually private pressing of 1,000. I’m not sure why it’s so valuable. Possibly because it was Clive Gregson’s, I think, first album production or, possibly, because of an odd story that went around a long time ago which I had quashed. The story being that 500 of the 1,000 were inadvertently dumped into a skip after pressing Gasp Having heard this and checked with my mate Jim Schofield I emailed the website and informed them that it was a load of old bollocks! On Discogs there are only 3 copies for sale worldwide: €600 from Germany, £600 from the UK and $1,200 from South Korea although this one is signed by the band.

Life is what it is.

Joined 2010-01-10

PM

Working through my digitisation project I’ve reached V and Various Artistes (although they could have been filed under C for Compilations) which reminded me of bands that I was introduced to, meant to investigate but never did. It was the Sixties after all Heart Eyes

Firstly we have Dr Strangely Strange and Strangely Strange But Oddly Normal - could describe me I suppose Wink

Next up is Better By You, Better Than Me by Spooky Tooth. Good song, great voice and excellent band - well, on this song any way. As per the reason for these three I know nothing more about them.

Lastly is a classic anti-war song Come Away Melinda. Originally released by Harry Belafonte, although not written by him, this version is by Tim Rose. I just love the emotion in his voice:

Life is what it is.

Joined 2010-01-10

PM

As I’m now doing the Ws I’ve just digitised one of my all-time favourite bands - The Walkabouts. A much uncelebrated band, founded in Seattle in the Eighties now resident, last I heard, in Germany, they really should be massively famous but, alas, they are not. Musical, talented, diverse, observers of American life, they deserve their place here in “3 Songs In The Moment” at the very least.

Firstly, Rebecca Wild:

Next, Ended Up A Stranger:

Lastly, Sand & Gravel:

Life is what it is.

Joined 2010-01-10

PM

After 6 months work my vinyl digitisation project has just completed. It comprises:

267GB of data across
320 albums comprising of
373 discs which, in turn, comprise of
3,650 tracks.

So, to end this effort I give you a final “3 in the moment” offering, all about leaving in one form or another (although, as I’m going to be ripping my CD collection to sit with the vinyl so that all can be played over my home network, I may be back. Since I won’t need to play them to do this it’s going to be much quicker):

First one up is Neil Young’s “4 Strong Winds”

Next is Fairport Convention’s “Farewell, Farewell”

Finally Leonard Cohen’s “Closing Time”

Life is what it is.

Joined 2010-01-10

PM

The project has completed!
The vinyl took me a shade over 6 months and the CDs 8 days. Just under 400GB of data and around 10,000 tracks. And in case anyone cares they’re all stored on my home system so that any track can be played anywhere in the house (if you have the right connection of course as the access is via my NAS on my home network) but not outside of the house as I’ve deliberately kept internet access off so there’s no copyright problems. Smile

As a finishing present to you all I’m closing this project off with three tracks from three different artistes that, it’s possible, none of you have heard of.

Firstly:

Secondly:

And finally:

Life is what it is.

Total Posts: 524

Joined 2022-02-22

PM

Whoops! Somehow missed this post from way back in June.

Jabod - 30 June 2022 06:29 AM

Charophycean - had a chance to listen and, whilst the first two are pleasantly relaxing, not really my thing although it was nice to hear that Melanie kept that “catch” in her voice.

That’s ok, I don’t expect everyone to like everything. My tastes are pretty broad. I couldn’t help noticing all the songs you’ve posted are post-1960s (unless I missed one), so didn’t think you would enjoy much that isn’t modern. Would that be accurate?

I was a bit surprised to read of your association with Andean music and the ukulele. To me, that style of music is pipes of all sorts, strings and bells and whilst the ukulele definitely has strings it’s not of the variety that I’d expect to find here. Or am I missing something/unaware of something?

Strings are always prominent in the Andean recordings I’ve heard. Panpipes and such play a big part too, and were probably the main or only instrument along with drums before European colonization, but now I think they’ve been fully incorporated into the culture to the point of being seen as “traditional”. And to be honest, I’ve heard some panpipes-only songs and I find them a bit boring.

Anyway, I hope you’ll keep posting as I’m still following your posts and discovering some great new stuff here!

AKA Charo

Joined 2010-01-10

PM

I think you missed the part about Andean music where I said about strings being involved but had never heard of a ukulele, even though it has strings, ever being used. I do agree about pipes only within that genre as being boring. It may well sound beautiful high up in clear mountain air but it sounds somewhat atonal to me hearing it some way out of context/natural environs.

Don’t enjoy much that isn’t modern!? Pan I qualify as a genuine old fart these days and my musical taste to younger ears is very far from modern. True “modern” popular music, as it were, is very not to my taste at all. That doesn’t mean that there isn’t recent music that I dislike as the human voice didn’t stop sounding beautiful at the end of the Seventies nor were poets/lyricists banned from humanity. As I said to a friend a week or so back some of the rap artists are seriously good poets but they insist on that dreadful, repetitive, music to lay it against. It’s like listening to a jack-hammer going continuously. Put those words to a true rhythm folks.

Anyway. Older music. From my collection (as is all that’s gone before):

Circa 1250 AD:

Moving on to 1775 AD

And now from 1829 AD:

As we’re in the “3 Songs In The Moment” thread another set follows

Life is what it is.

Joined 2010-01-10

PM

From 1926 AD:

From 1936 AD:

And lastly from 1939 AD: