• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

zobraks

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

AG Community Playthrough 77 - Black Mirror 1

Total Posts: 1350

Joined 2009-04-28

PM

Good Question!

I’d like to get Chapter 3 underway today, but I recognise that there are a fair few people some way behind and these chapters are all pretty long.

If you’ve not checked in yet it would be great if you could, even if it’s just to say that you’re still 5min into chapter 1! That was I can work out if it’s worth postponing Chapter 3 a couple of days or if we just push on.

3.5 time winner of the “Really Annoying Caption Contest Saboteur” Award!

Total Posts: 184

Joined 2021-03-21

PM

I decided to join you also. I played i think 3 hours total so far last days and still in first chapter. Not sure how much time i got though so no need to wait.

So far i m not that impressed with the game. Samuel speaks robotic like the actor reading from a script. Also as others have said the game is pretty linear as you need to solve the puzzles in order. I enjoyed a puzzle to get a picture together but other than that gameplay just asks to go around the castle, do errands and keep exhausting the dialogs.

Anyway is too soon and maybe i end up liking it.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

I just finished chapter II.

It was better than the first. Now that the plot thickened, we had a clearer objective throughout, and it moved along faster. It was significantly longer, though.

Some minor inconsistencies throughout. In the first chapter, I talked to Robert about something as a follow-up question, and Samuel said “we talked yesterday about…” except no day had passed and “yesterday” was actually earlier in the same conversation.

The same in this chapter. I had the toner for Dr. Hermann but when I wanted to snoop around and created a distraction, our response was along the lines of “I forgot what I wanted to ask. Can’t have been important. I won’t bother you again.” Except I had a legitimate reason to bother him. And wound up immediately ringing his door again…
It’s like the developers didn’t think of any other possible order of doing things than what they scripted.

I did like the mine sequence. Even if that’s the only part where I got stuck a little. I missed not one but two hotspots (the lid under the oil barrel and the pool of green water). And I loathe the chapter-ending puzzle. Especially since I had reloaded a dozen times before realising I had to right-click the lock.

The game is definitely interesting but it has some poor design choices (like having to “waste time” because of odd triggers, and some of the things I mentioned earlier).

I am really excited that the next chapter will take place in a new environment, though. Now it feels like an actual adventure! Smile

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Plot-wise, I really like what I read in the book in Marcus’ grave.

A portal to an evil plane, and a curse that makes a Gordon kill five innocents to herald the return of the evil Mordred.

All signs point to Robert being the possible culprit, so my genre-savviness concludes it’s definitely NOT him.
I also don’t think it’ll be Victoria. Which means it’s either Samuel himself - which would explain the nightmares - or an as yet unknown Gordon. Maybe that man in the sanatorium whose picture we made in the first chapter will turn out to be an illegitimate Gordon or something.
But my money for now is on Samuel himself. It would be the most shocking turn of events. Smile

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 96

Joined 2017-12-26

PM

Intense Degree - 30 March 2023 03:25 AM

Good Question!

I’d like to get Chapter 3 underway today, but I recognise that there are a fair few people some way behind and these chapters are all pretty long.

Yes, I am quite behind (just starting at chapter 2), but don’t wait for me!

Joined 2009-04-28

PM

OK, let’s move on, but not before a quick…

Chapter 2 recap - spoiler free if you’ve finished the chapter. No spoilery pics though.

So, if Chapter 1 was about getting up to a tower, then Chapter 2 was much more about going down and underground.

Locked doors are so much easier when someone else opens them for you!

Draining the fountain revealed another mysterious sign, could whoever or whatever killed William have struck again with the gardener? To add to that, the ceiling appears to have come down in the old wing preventing any further access to the tower. Don’t you worry about that broken window literally letting rain pour through it Samuel, you let someone else deal with that!

Samuel continues to be his arrogant self, whether with Morris in the stables, or with those in the village. Not much chance of asking anyone for a favour, so the wallet comes out again and again. Some might be happy enough to oblige, but not all.

Fun fact, the amount you paid Mark for distracting Hermann the German varied depending on how you chose to respond to him.

The reassembling the letter puzzle is basically a duplicate of the photo puzzle but oddly easier this time around. For me personally I felt fine with doing the same thing again, possibly because I enjoyed the first one.

Then onto the church, a move the discs puzzle, Riddles in the Marcus’ burial chamber and then we have another diary and our first of the five keys!

The diary tells us of a gate between worlds, hidden under the castle which was opened and then sealed by the brothers. Although Marcus defeated Mordred he uttered a curse, prophesying that he would one day return thanks to the help of one of Marcus’ own descendants.

Then the mines and the wolf and we’re back to the castle. Robert’s off late to work at the Sanatorium and Samuel is planning on a bit of a trip tomorrow himself.

To pick up on something one or two of you have mentioned above, I always have the feeling that though the game is set in England, it doesn’t feel that English to me at all. The castle itself, the town, the wolves give more of a gothic eastern European feel to me. Don’t misunderstand me I’m not complaining, I like the feel of the game very much, it just doesn’t feel like England. Ultimately, does that matter? Not for me.

Joined 2009-04-28

PM

Chapter 3 - Hidden Legacy

Well, whether the game setting feels like England or not, in this Chapter we’re off to Wales to visit some more Gordon relatives. Let’s hope they’ll be a more cheery bunch than those we’ve met so far!

Not too much to say about Chapter 3 at this point, other than it is shorter than Chapter 2, it is possible to die (I think in only 1 fairly obvious place) and there are no walking dead situations to worry about.

Let’s aim to finish Chapter 3 by Friday 7 April

Total Posts: 5838

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Intense Degree - 31 March 2023 04:09 AM

…..The reassembling the letter puzzle is basically a duplicate of the photo puzzle but oddly easier this time around. For me personally I felt fine with doing the same thing again, possibly because I enjoyed the first one.

I enjoyed those puzzles too but I always think it’s a mistake for a developer to include similar ones more than once as it can put players off who really don’t like them!

Intense Degree - 31 March 2023 04:09 AM

…..I always have the feeling that though the game is set in England, it doesn’t feel that English to me at all. The castle itself, the town, the wolves give more of a gothic eastern European feel to me….. Ultimately, does that matter? Not for me.

I agree that the game doesn’t feel English although it is apparently set in Suffolk.
I’ve never been to that county but I’ve been to a few villages/small towns so the town possibly fits but not the castle.
The game was developed by a Czech company which would explain the eastern European feel & no, it doesn’t matter to me!
It also doesn’t feel like it’s set in 1981! 

Joined 2017-12-26

PM

I am stuck in chapter 2! I cannot enter the church.
I have the developed photos, I have received the key and checked the garbage, I puzzled the letter , but the gravedigger sits in the pub and does not open the church.

In my inventory, the letter that I puzzled together is still shown as pieces; maybe that’s the cause. I tried to puzzle it together a couple of times, but that does not help.
Anybody any ideas?

The Steam discussion gives a link to savefiles, but my PC sees them as a risk, and so do I :-)

Total Posts: 5838

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Hi sylv I think the problem is the letter still being in pieces. It should once all the pieces are in place stay completed & go into the inventory. I found the picture puzzle very picky needing the pieces to be exactly placed so maybe it’s worth trying this one again?

Mystery Manor have some game saves in the ‘Attic’ but unfortunately not for this specific puzzle.

Total Posts: 517

Joined 2005-07-07

PM

It’s quite clear when the game registers the parts of the letter being placed correctly. I deliberately dropped the individual parts a tiny bit “off”, which made the game kind of “clicking” them in place. Hope that makes sense.

Total Posts: 645

Joined 2017-08-27

PM

Hi
I finished ch. 2. I purposely avoided the thread until I finished it, but now I see that I should’ve checked in. My bad! I will do so from now on, if I’m running late, although my response will always be - don’t wait up for me. I don’t want to slow down the pace for everybody.

I’m definitely enjoying the unfolding of the story as it gets progressively darker and tangled. From my understanding Samuel is now either has to potentially be that descendant that will help to bring Mordred’s prophecy to life OR stop the curse? At least that’s the impression that I got. I kinda like that he doesn’t have much quibbles on which direction to go with - I’d spend time deliberating, but he’s off to new things immediately.

I liked the puzzles, although none of them difficult, I noticed that I miss these kind of knobs/levers/cables etc. puzzles that we get less and less in modern adventures, but were the usual fare in mid-2000s, we already touched on that before.

I didn’t mind the mine sequence as to why it is even there - the game might explain that later, but I did find it really back-and-forth heavy, so the puzzle element did feel a little filler-ish, not necessarily the section itself. I also didn’t like the ending of that. Not just because I didn’t get it right quite a few times (despite Intense Degree warning in the pre-chapter section), but I also because in the similar situation I’d do my best to scare the animal away first, before just putting a round directly in its head. I do see the proximity and unexpectedness of the encounter might not make it an option, arguably. But it left a very bad aftertaste in my mouth. Wolves aren’t grizzlies - they generally don’t attack like a steam train

chrissie - 24 March 2023 03:12 PM

I did wonder though where the mine cart went?

That’s the first thing I went and checked on Grin Still don’t know.

I really like that we start next chapter at the entrance of another beautiful mansion - very promising.

I’d say game gets progressively better. I can see the “age showing”, sure, but I also can see how it made so many of our lists. So far my main complain is over-reliance on some odd dialogue with seemingly random person to progress the entire game forward, and the snail walking pace with glitching double-click function that does nothing to alleviate the wait from going through empty side-scrolling screen in the church, for example, or stops mattering all that much when you constantly traverse through 20+ screens… These are first world adventure problems, though, so I’m looking forward to ch.3!

Total Posts: 184

Joined 2021-03-21

PM

Managed to get some time to play and finished chapter 2. A big improvement over first one. Many puzzles that are more involved. Also a great deal of the story. i didnt have problems with the puzzles except missing a hotpoint in the middle of the chapter and also checking internet for one of the riddles.

I liked the mine part and the puzzles there. I shot the lock after right clicking it but by now i right click everything in the game. But then i died to the wolf once when i left click it. Thing is i wouldnt except for the game to let me harm the animal but this is an old game and it was a wild wolf anyway. Still you dont see that too often in modern adventures. There is usually a peaceful way to progress.

Time to move on to chapter 3 now and the change of scenery is refreshing. I m happy that i dont have to visit same areas for this chapter.

Joined 2017-12-26

PM

chrissie - 02 April 2023 11:25 AM

Hi sylv I think the problem is the letter still being in pieces. It should once all the pieces are in place stay completed & go into the inventory. I found the picture puzzle very picky needing the pieces to be exactly placed so maybe it’s worth trying this one again?

Thanks, I’ll try again :-)

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

I just started playing Chapter III.

Can I just vent some frustration at an overused puzzle?

NOOOOOoooo, not the “slide paper under the door and push the key out on the other side” puzzle!!! And played completely straight, too. At least mock this, damnit!!! Crazy

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top