• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Site → Site & Forum Feedback → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Nico2021

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Something is wrong

Total Posts: 4257

Joined 2005-04-14

PM

Something has been changed in the last week, and that change is bugging and annoying me.

1. In the last week I haven’t been able to view any thread here. If I click on any topic, I get this:

I found out that this “Bad Gateway” message disappears when I log in, but I usually don’t want to log in; I’ve always been able to check the threads without logging in before.

2. When I approach the Forum site, at the bottom of the home page there is a transparent box like this:

This box pops up every time I click on a link (to a new thread, or another page of the same thread, or whatever). What is the matter?

Everybody wants to be Cary Grant.
Even Me.

-Cary Grant

Total Posts: 1785

Joined 2010-01-10

PM

I had that recently on a different site. Since it cropped up when going to said site from a favourites link I did a search for the site and got access from that. Discovered that the stored address was no longer the correct one. Saved the new address and ll was as it should be.
There was also a problem 2 or 3 weeks back when DNS server access was down worldwide for a considerable number of sites and, but my memory might be playing up, the same error message appeared.

Life is what it is.

Joined 2005-04-14

PM

Thanks for the response and tips, Jabod. I still can’t see anything when I’m not logged in.

Even Me.

-Cary Grant

Joined 2010-01-10

PM

zobraks - 26 August 2021 06:03 AM

Thanks for the response and tips, Jabod. I still can’t see anything when I’m not logged in.

If you can’t see anything when you’re not logged in how do you get to log in?

Life is what it is.

Joined 2005-04-14

PM

I can see the forum Home page and the subforums even when I’m not logged in, but I can’t enter any thread and (consequently) can see no posts.

And the annoying translucent box (with no message) keeps showing with each click on a forum/subforum link whether I’m logged in or not.
Do any of you see any box with a message when you reach this place?

Even Me.

-Cary Grant

Total Posts: 461

Joined 2003-09-12

PM

I think that box is supposed to be where an ad would load in.

Now Playing: Harold Halibut, Final Fantasy VII Rebirth, Baldur’s Gate 3, Alan Wake Remastered, Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom
Recently Completed: Botany Manor, Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney Trilogy, Like a Dragon: Infinite Wealth, Silent Hill: The Short Message, Under the Waves
Anticipating: Beyond Good and Evil 2
Backing: Asylum

Joined 2010-01-10

PM

zobraks - 26 August 2021 06:10 AM

I can see the forum Home page and the subforums even when I’m not logged in, but I can’t enter any thread and (consequently) can see no posts.

And the annoying translucent box (with no message) keeps showing with each click on a forum/subforum link whether I’m logged in or not.
Do any of you see any box with a message when you reach this place?

That makes sense Smile
I did, for a short while recently, get a grey box instead of a login box when I came here and had been logged out (I keep myself permanently logged in but the site chucks me out fairly often). But a refresh and a click on login resolved that. This was around the time that CaliMonk was moving servers so put it down to that when the problem disappeared of its own accord.
I’m using Firefox BTW.

Life is what it is.

Joined 2010-01-10

PM

Just logged out to check what happens and I don’t get Zobraks’ problem at all. The one thing I do get is the same block (mine is purple to his grey) where an ad would be as I run an ad blocker which confirms Dale’s point. I don’t see that rectangle when logged in as I’m a Patreon and we don’t get the ads.

Life is what it is.

Total Posts: 7446

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

zobraks - 26 August 2021 06:10 AM

I have the exact same problem. What’s more, I’m a Patreon, but this annoying box pops up every time I click on something. Every single time.

Butter my buns and call me a biscuit! - Agent A

Joined 2005-04-14

PM

Jabod - 26 August 2021 06:44 AM

Just logged out to check what happens and I don’t get Zobraks’ problem at all.

You lucky bastard!

As soon as log out the dreaded “Bad Gateway” screen appears.

Btw, I’m using Firefox (91.0.2, the latest version) too and NoScript add-on.
This forum is the only place I visit and have trouble; at any other website I don’t have the slightest problem with my rig/installed programs and that’s what drives me crazy, because I love this place.

Even Me.

-Cary Grant

Joined 2010-01-10

PM

zobraks - 26 August 2021 07:57 AM
Jabod - 26 August 2021 06:44 AM

Just logged out to check what happens and I don’t get Zobraks’ problem at all.

You lucky bastard!

As soon as log out the dreaded “Bad Gateway” screen appears.

Btw, I’m usin Firefox (91.0.2, the latest version) too and NoScript add-on.

That’s the version of Firefox I’m on. Karlok reminded that I got the very same pop-up box that she gets (only mine was in English for some strange reason Smile) but just checked the only essential box and it went away.
The only add-ons I’m running are Cisco’s OpenH264 video codec which Firefox automatically installs and Google’s Widevine Content Encryption Module. I also run DucDuckGo’s Privacy Essentials. I also run an Ad Blocker but I can’t remember which one - and having just checked it’s adblockplus but it it’s not running for some reason Meh but as I’m not getting ads I’ll leave things as they are Smile

Life is what it is.

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Jabod - 26 August 2021 08:16 AM

Karlok reminded that I got the very same pop-up box that she gets (only mine was in English for some strange reason Smile) but just checked the only essential box and it went away.

I can check and uncheck as much as I want, but nothing is ever saved. I’ve tried everything I could think of in “manage settings”, nada zilch nix. So I have two problems that are both real killjoys. I wish the site would at the very least automatically log me in, but no, I have to do it manually every time.

Total Posts: 724

Joined 2004-03-09

PM

I’ll definitely investigate this further, I can imagine it being quite annoying! Strange that alot of the forum doesn’t work it you’re not logged in. Cannot reproduce that (yet), but will check it out.

You certainly shouldn’t have to log in every time, so something is weird with cookies. Will try a few things.

If you get the cookie accept box every time you essentially need to clear your cookies for adventure Gamers (all of them), after that it should behave OK. Super annoying but sadly little I can do to influence that..

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

I’d like to add that whenever I go to adventuregamers.com/forums (not logged in because the site has refused to log me in automatically for years) I get an earlier version of the forums, a few hours or a day older. When I click on a specific forum I get the updated version.

Joined 2005-04-14

PM

CaliMonk - 28 August 2021 04:41 PM

Strange that a lot of the forum doesn’t work it you’re not logged in.

Even more strange is that this is the ONLY forum I frequent (and I’ve been on quite a few) where you MUST be logged in to see any post.

I wish you guys could use some other forum software.

Even Me.

-Cary Grant

Total Posts: 724

Joined 2004-03-09

PM

It’s so bizare you get a 502, that really should hardly ever happen but clearly it’s consistent for you. When I test from several locations logged in or out I cannot reproduce things, which makes me think it -is- somehow related to some cookies you have and the forum software acting on those weirdly.

I’ll certainly investigate further, I’ve also increased some of the server specs that can help with 502’s, but overall it really shouldn’t occur..

If you have any tips on Forum software I’m quite open to it honestly, I’ve asked it to readers a few times but there’s no strong preferences and as I fixed most of the issues with the software before I hadn’t heard new wishes.

Personally I have no strong preference what so ever to stay with this particular software honestly.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Site → Site & Forum Feedback → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top