• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

chrissie

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

What classic Sierra game(s) would you like to see a prequel/sequel/remake of? And why?

Total Posts: 278

Joined 2012-12-22

PM

I would like to see a new Police Quest for example. I just loved those games. Smile

Story rich DRM-free games for Windows, Mac and linux for direct download - https://fireflowergames.com/. Half the profit goes to projects that benefit the environment and game related projects.

Total Posts: 524

Joined 2022-02-22

PM

Police Quest and Ecoquest. Two games that were set in the real world and would benefit immensely from the upgrades in detail and accuracy that can be achieved in gaming now.

Maybe Gold Rush? I thought the original was boring but there’s a lot of potential. Photorealistic graphics, some real historical research combined with a story that is actually good.

AKA Charo

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

Charophycean - 02 June 2023 06:26 PM

Maybe Gold Rush? I thought the original was boring but there’s a lot of potential. Photorealistic graphics, some real historical research combined with a story that is actually good.

Well, there already was a remake of Gold Rush and a sequel. Both were rather terrible.

But anyway, yeah, Police Quest would definitely benefit from what modern engines can offer.

I do think Quest For Glory series could be a good choice. I do love the games as they are, but they never really did manage to do better than just fine in terms of RPG combat. Especially Wages of War could benefit greatly from an expanded open world, as the game world it has is a bit empty and it is short.

Total Posts: 860

Joined 2017-12-19

PM

Good timing for this thread, because less than 24 hours ago a fan remake of Space Quest III was released.

It’s called Space Quest 3D:
https://turbochimp.itch.io/space-quest-3d

I’m not sure that remake was necessary, because the third Space Quest was one of the better games in the series, but at least those who dislike pixel arts and parser input might be happy now.

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

I just played that SQ3 remake. It’s pretty good, especially for a free fan-made remake, but it is a bit rough around the edges. It’s a 1:1 remake, so if you know the original, it won’t take you long to complete.

That said, I don’t know if this remake actually improved from the original game. Perhaps the battle against Scummsoft fighters, in the end, is a bit more interesting, but I don’t think it necessarily improves upon the original.

Total Posts: 1891

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

I think somehow, QFG still has a lot of untapped potential. Every time a similar game gets made it turns out pretty great: heroine quest, quest for infamy, hero-u, all really good. While i would be very intrigued by a true QfG reboot/sequel of some sort, i really just want to see more games that carry the spirit. Someday, i want to play a game with all the scope of qfg and…. Good combat!

Joined 2017-12-19

PM

zane - 03 June 2023 09:27 AM

I think somehow, QFG still has a lot of untapped potential. Every time a similar game gets made it turns out pretty great: heroine quest, quest for infamy, hero-u, all really good.

Is there some reason why you didn’t include Mage’s Initiation in that list?

Total Posts: 2071

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

I doubt a Police Quest game would fly these days, with all that hate towards policemen. Also I remember how 10 years ago Jim Walls tried to kickstart a spiritual successor and failed miserably, which was pretty sad. Currently there’s an unofficial (or official?) Laura Bow 3 in development as well as some Colonel’s Bequest clone, so that one’s covered. There were also some talks about Gabriel Knight 4 by Jane recently, and while I already expressed my skepticism in another thread, I would, of course, support a sequel to my all-time favourite series.

But I agree with tommit and zane, Quest for Glory probably still holds a lot of potential, it continued to live through quality fan-made tributes, and while I wasn’t crazy about the Cole’s own Hero-U, it would be great if they curated a sequel made by Crystal Shard, for example. I’d also trust them with a King’s Quest sequel any time, although it might be too shallow for them — A Tale of Two Kingdoms already beat it with a richer story, world and puzzle design, so I’d rather play a sequel to that one, please.

PC means personal computer

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

In all fairness, that Kickstarter pitch Jim Walls had was terrible and turned even more terrible when they failed and decided to try their own crowdfunding platform. It was a complete amateur hour and one of the worst KS pitches done by a professional game designer.

As for Jane Jensen, her recent games have shown, that while she’s still able to pen them, she needs a proper budget and developers. Gabriel Knight games were expensive titles for their time and if she were to do something similar, she would need a proper budget.

Joined 2017-12-19

PM

Doom - 03 June 2023 02:44 PM

while I wasn’t crazy about the Cole’s own Hero-U, it would be great if they curated a sequel made by Crystal Shard, for example.

There is a sequel that was released a couple of months ago, Summer Daze at Hero-U: Tilly’s Tale.

I believe it’s more like a visual novel though, not Quest for Glory style.

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

Yes, that campaign by Walls was a total disaster right from the beginning, I meant it was pretty sad and embarrassing to witness. And Jim disappeared without a trace after that( But the SpaceVenture kickstarter also wasn’t great, yet it managed to attract enough fans and even some love after 10 years in development hell. Ken and Roberta are currently maintaining the development of the final version from what I figured, so it might turn great after all. This is also why I always insisted that the only proper way to resurrect all those licenses is to resurrect Sierra — who wasn’t just a publisher, but a living organism that functioned only when all organs were properly interconnected and calibrated.

GateKeeper - 03 June 2023 05:49 PM

There is a sequel that was released a couple of months ago, Summer Daze at Hero-U: Tilly’s Tale.

I believe it’s more like a visual novel though, not Quest for Glory style.

I meant a sequel to Quest for Glory, sorry, I didn’t really care for Hero-U tbh. Neither the story nor the gameplay appealed to me, no matter how hard I tried. Although I’m aware it’s a competent full-length adventure/RPG that has its fans.

Total Posts: 1891

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

GateKeeper - 03 June 2023 11:31 AM
zane - 03 June 2023 09:27 AM

I think somehow, QFG still has a lot of untapped potential. Every time a similar game gets made it turns out pretty great: heroine quest, quest for infamy, hero-u, all really good.

Is there some reason why you didn’t include Mage’s Initiation in that list?

Actually, i didnt finish that and kind of forgot about it. I played a good deal of it, and liked it, but for some reason it didnt grip me. I probably should give it another whirl, i dont even remember what platform i had it on.

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

Mage’s Initiation is a game I should play again. I did like it, but out of all the QfG-inspired titles, it never hit me the same way.

As for SpaceVenture and the Williams’, the latest was that Ken was still wondering if he’d want to stick his time and money into it. He stated, it all depends on how long it would take to fix it, as he doesn’t feel like putting a year towards it.

Total Posts: 524

Joined 2022-02-22

PM

No mention of a sequel to Pepper’s Adventures in Time.

I’m disappointed in you all.

AKA Charo

Total Posts: 278

Joined 2012-12-22

PM

What about Willy Beamish, as a teenager?

Story rich DRM-free games for Windows, Mac and linux for direct download - https://fireflowergames.com/. Half the profit goes to projects that benefit the environment and game related projects.

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

tomimt - 04 June 2023 12:32 AM

As for SpaceVenture and the Williams’, the latest was that Ken was still wondering if he’d want to stick his time and money into it. He stated, it all depends on how long it would take to fix it, as he doesn’t feel like putting a year towards it.

I just checked the KS comment section and one of the latest messages belongs to someone who claims he restores old games for big publishers (SNEG?) suggesting to invest into SpaceVenture alongside Ken, with Ken asking to contact him. So it might turn even better.

Charophycean - 04 June 2023 01:46 AM

No mention of a sequel to Pepper’s Adventures in Time.

I’m disappointed in you all.

That game had one of the largest and most varied design teams, it would be fun to see Jane, Josh, Lorelei and Bill Davis teaming up after 30 years just to send Pepper to the Wild West or the Prohibition era)

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top