• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Any other games featuring “The deduction board” or similar mechanics?

Total Posts: 6

Joined 2011-03-09

PM

I was playing The testament of Sherlock Holmes, and I really liked the deduction board mechanic where you had to make assumptions from clues you gathered in order to solve mysteries…

Are there any other similar mechanics in games?

Total Posts: 6590

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Just for the record, I’ve found the quiz in Sherlock & Silver Earring superior to Deduction Board and much more intuitive, because it really forces you to think and come to conclusion by yourself (you can’t brute force it).

Anyway, similar to deduction board is PPA from Sinking Island.

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Miles Edgeworth: Ace Attorney Investigations had a “Logic” button where you could link certain pieces of evidence (or thoughts about the case) together to get to new conclusions.

The problem with it is that the mechanic was FAR too easy. You rarely had more than three “logic bubbles” at once, so linking them was a piece of cake…

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 98

Joined 2004-02-16

PM

The Darkness Within games have documents that you need to underline certain phrases in. Face Noir (not out in English yet) has thoughts you need to combine to reach a certain conclusion.

Madre de Dios, es el Pollo Diablo!

Total Posts: 21

Joined 2012-08-30

PM

Balderduck - 03 February 2013 05:29 AM

I was playing The testament of Sherlock Holmes, and I really liked the deduction board mechanic where you had to make assumptions from clues you gathered in order to solve mysteries…

Are there any other similar mechanics in games?

Hey Balderduck!

You can also try Sherlock Holmes vs Jack the Ripper as well as Sherlock Holmes and Secret of the Silver Earring for these mechanics.
BTW Steam has both games at rather deduced pricing Wink

Total Posts: 259

Joined 2004-03-09

PM

Alkis Polyrakis’ Diamonds In The Rough had a great implementation of such mechanic. It may have been the first, even.

Senscape // Founder // Designer | Working on: Asylum | Twitter: @AgustinCordes

Total Posts: 6

Joined 2011-03-09

PM

Thanks a lot guys!

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top