• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Born Punk - light-hearted cyberpunk adventure now launched

Total Posts: 190

Joined 2010-09-01

PM

I also tried the demo and found it intriguing. I also wasn’t a fan of how the inventory was accessed. I prefer moving the mouse to the top or bottom of the screen. The other issues the poster above highlighted weren’t such a big deal to me. I figured that since it’s the first part of the game the puzzles will hopefully get more difficult.
It took me awhile to figure out how the books worked, but I actually liked that a bit, since it worked with how the parasite would interact.

I think there’s potential for a good game here, so I will wait patiently for a release date.

Total Posts: 1655

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

TheLongestJourney - 04 August 2021 01:27 AM

I also tried the demo and found it intriguing. I also wasn’t a fan of how the inventory was accessed. I prefer moving the mouse to the top or bottom of the screen. The other issues the poster above highlighted weren’t such a big deal to me. I figured that since it’s the first part of the game the puzzles will hopefully get more difficult.
It took me awhile to figure out how the books worked, but I actually liked that a bit, since it worked with how the parasite would interact.

I think there’s potential for a good game here, so I will wait patiently for a release date.

I hope your right about the puzzles getting better, but it felt like lazy game design to me. Like the devs know they need inventory interaction and implemented it in such a basic way. Logically they dont make sense. Why would her key to a locked drawer containing very sensitive and personal information be randomly on a table and not on her. Why would the diary not be in a futuristic safe not a random drawer. Just so much wrong with it.

As,far as the books go, it just seemed weird implementation to me, plus after reading the encyclopedia, the parasite should have read all the other books, instead of making the players read each one individually.

Total Posts: 417

Joined 2018-03-07

PM

Just finished playing the demo and I had pretty substantial issues with it. The voice acting was really bad across the board. Really stiff delivery and it didn’t get the emotions across well. Which isn’t good for a demo that’s 90% dialogue in a scenario that’s supposed to be tense or emotional.

Also, some of the dialogue for Mariposa didn’t land for me. From the context we got it seems like she’s an intelligent and accomplished woman but most of her responses are some generic variation of “I WILL find you and I WILL destroy you” that reminded me of an edgy kid online trying to sound tough. It would have been interesting to me if she came off more clever than that. Obviously still angry, but if she was attempting to trick the AI into accidentally revealing information about the nature of its mission. Or some ploy to bring her body closer to the guard once more. Again, it didn’t help that the VA wasn’t selling the emotion of the lines.

The presentation was good, and the overall plot was interesting. I had no issues with the interface, and the puzzles were fine for an introductory sequence. Hard to judge that aspect too much in such a short demo. But I think the dialogue, and definitely the VA, need sharpening up for Born Punk to reach its full potential. I actually liked the initial KickStarter demo from a few years ago more than this.

Total Posts: 5837

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Hi sparrowtm/Falko, I’ve just played your very short demo which does a great job of giving a glimpse of concept, gameplay & voice-acting.

I went back to read more on page 1 here to find out more.

To give feedback on that & as far as you can get in the demo I love the concept, the interface worked fine for me & I really didn’t mind the voice-acting – for me it worked!

Such a short snippet of a game can present an impression out of context but understood that there are three different characters which will each focus on different aspects of the game & obviously the game focuses on dialogue in the demo & I’ve gleaned that another character will present puzzling opportunities.
Please reassure me that there are not going to be difficult timed/action sequences otherwise I’m intrigued enough to look forward to & buy the game
Smile

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

PlanetX - 06 August 2021 10:12 PM

Just finished playing the demo and I had pretty substantial issues with it. The voice acting was really bad across the board. Really stiff delivery and it didn’t get the emotions across well. Which isn’t good for a demo that’s 90% dialogue in a scenario that’s supposed to be tense or emotional.

Also, some of the dialogue for Mariposa didn’t land for me. From the context we got it seems like she’s an intelligent and accomplished woman but most of her responses are some generic variation of “I WILL find you and I WILL destroy you” that reminded me of an edgy kid online trying to sound tough. It would have been interesting to me if she came off more clever than that. Obviously still angry, but if she was attempting to trick the AI into accidentally revealing information about the nature of its mission. Or some ploy to bring her body closer to the guard once more. Again, it didn’t help that the VA wasn’t selling the emotion of the lines.

The presentation was good, and the overall plot was interesting. I had no issues with the interface, and the puzzles were fine for an introductory sequence. Hard to judge that aspect too much in such a short demo. But I think the dialogue, and definitely the VA, need sharpening up for Born Punk to reach its full potential. I actually liked the initial KickStarter demo from a few years ago more than this.

See i think you are being generous. I would say 98 percent of the demo is dialogue based, which doesnt make sense to me for a demo. Bc a demo is supposed to show gameplay, otherwise just release a trailer instead. I will never count a locked drawer with a key two feet away as a puzzle, i barely count it as gameplay.

I agree with you about the voice acting, but i thought it got some better as it went along. Seems like an interesting concept, but the demo didnt help my interest in the game at all.

Total Posts: 417

Joined 2018-03-07

PM

Jdawg445 - 07 August 2021 01:43 PM

See i think you are being generous. I would say 98 percent of the demo is dialogue based, which doesnt make sense to me for a demo. Bc a demo is supposed to show gameplay, otherwise just release a trailer instead. I will never count a locked drawer with a key two feet away as a puzzle, i barely count it as gameplay.

I agree with you about the voice acting, but i thought it got some better as it went along. Seems like an interesting concept, but the demo didnt help my interest in the game at all.

Lol I actually thought that was a pretty staunchly critical post, but I get your point. I was merely judging the content I experienced in itself. On a more fundamental level of marketing, yes, this isn’t a good slice of game to entice people. Certainly not from a gameplay perspective.

If a person didn’t have the same complaints regarding execution that I did, I could see them at least being intrigued by the premise. But even then the demo is so slight that it doesn’t give itself much time to get its hooks in you.

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

PlanetX - 07 August 2021 02:09 PM
Jdawg445 - 07 August 2021 01:43 PM

Lol I actually thought that was a pretty staunchly critical post, but I get your point. I was merely judging the content I experienced in itself. On a more fundamental level of marketing, yes, this isn’t a good slice of game to entice people. Certainly not from a gameplay perspective.

If a person didn’t have the same complaints regarding execution that I did, I could see them at least being intrigued by the premise. But even then the demo is so slight that it doesn’t give itself much time to get its hooks in you.

Exactly… read some books, listen to a lot of clunky dialogue (to be fair some good though), pick up key, open the one locked drawer, pick up cable to use on the computer that is right next to the computer, use cable on computer. Demo over lol.

Total Posts: 11

Joined 2014-04-13

PM

Hey again. Sorry for the late reply, been super busy (and forgetful).

I’ve read all the criticism in this thread. Of course I’m taking everything that was said in, but I also have to say that we had extremely positive feedback regarding our demo from both Steam and GOG users, testers, YouTubers, streamers, as well as our kickstarter backers. At some point, I actually thought ‘wtf, where’s the criticism’. So in that regard, I’m happy that there was a good amount to be found here.

To address a few points:

- I’m not sure whether ‘wooden voice-acting’ is referring to how our voice actress Marisa plays her character, or to how I wrote the text in the demo, or both. In this scene, she is supposed to act wooden, as this is an important aspect of the persona that has taken over her body at that point. Just to make sure I’m not deluding myself, I replayed the demo before writing this, and I gotta say, I’m happy with how the demo plays out. Alas, a few people brought up the voice-overs in this scene before, so I asked various testers what they thought. In the end, it turned out that far more people liked the performance than not, so we finalised the voice-overs as they were. I could imagine adding a bit of exposition so the player understands why Mariposa’s voice sounds what it sounds like in this scene though.

- the puzzles in this scene are very light and straight-forward on purpose. The demo’s main purpose is to set and showcase the mood more than anything. Our kickstarter demo had more complex puzzles, and you can expect far more complex puzzles in the full game as well. Many puzzles have multiple approaches, choices & consequences, and have components in a dozen scenes. I didn’t hear this particular point of criticism prior to today at all, so I’m fairly confident it wasn’t an issue for most people. I’d disagree that what you find in the demo is lazy game design.

- one post criticised how placement of the key or the diary doesn’t make sense; it does, and there’s even a story-reason behind it. This is another point of criticism I didn’t hear before, so I’m not too concerned about it.

Just to be absolutely clear: I’m not dismissing ANY criticism. This is our and my first game, and of course we’re far from perfect. Only time will tell if we’re even good or competent (I think so, but what I think is irrelevant for the purpose of objectively evaluating our game dev prowess). Alas, point one was brought up before and analysed, and point two and three have not been a problem for most other people, which is why I won’t act on them.

I do hope that you will give Born Punk a try still, because I think we have a very neat game in the oven, that does many things differently when compared to other point & clicks of recent years. A game that does cyberpunk differently too. Some will love all that, some will hate that, some will hail us, some will curse us, some won’t care.

Our release is on 15/06/2022, and I hope to see you there.

Falko, Lead Punk at Insert Disk 22 and making the game Born Punk
Steam Page | GOG Page | Twitter | Facebook | Instagram | Website

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

sparrowtm - 08 April 2022 03:10 AM

Hey again. Sorry for the late reply, been super busy (and forgetful).

I’ve read all the criticism in this thread. Of course I’m taking everything that was said in, but I also have to say that we had extremely positive feedback regarding our demo from both Steam and GOG users, testers, YouTubers, streamers, as well as our kickstarter backers. At some point, I actually thought ‘wtf, where’s the criticism’. So in that regard, I’m happy that there was a good amount to be found here.

To address a few points:

- I’m not sure whether ‘wooden voice-acting’ is referring to how our voice actress Marisa plays her character, or to how I wrote the text in the demo, or both. In this scene, she is supposed to act wooden, as this is an important aspect of the persona that has taken over her body at that point. Just to make sure I’m not deluding myself, I replayed the demo before writing this, and I gotta say, I’m happy with how the demo plays out. Alas, a few people brought up the voice-overs in this scene before, so I asked various testers what they thought. In the end, it turned out that far more people liked the performance than not, so we finalised the voice-overs as they were. I could imagine adding a bit of exposition so the player understands why Mariposa’s voice sounds what it sounds like in this scene though.

- the puzzles in this scene are very light and straight-forward on purpose. The demo’s main purpose is to set and showcase the mood more than anything. Our kickstarter demo had more complex puzzles, and you can expect far more complex puzzles in the full game as well. Many puzzles have multiple approaches, choices & consequences, and have components in a dozen scenes. I didn’t hear this particular point of criticism prior to today at all, so I’m fairly confident it wasn’t an issue for most people. I’d disagree that what you find in the demo is lazy game design.

- one post criticised how placement of the key or the diary doesn’t make sense; it does, and there’s even a story-reason behind it. This is another point of criticism I didn’t hear before, so I’m not too concerned about it.

Just to be absolutely clear: I’m not dismissing ANY criticism. This is our and my first game, and of course we’re far from perfect. Only time will tell if we’re even good or competent (I think so, but what I think is irrelevant for the purpose of objectively evaluating our game dev prowess). Alas, point one was brought up before and analysed, and point two and three have not been a problem for most other people, which is why I won’t act on them.

I do hope that you will give Born Punk a try still, because I think we have a very neat game in the oven, that does many things differently when compared to other point & clicks of recent years. A game that does cyberpunk differently too. Some will love all that, some will hate that, some will hail us, some will curse us, some won’t care.

Our release is on 15/06/2022, and I hope to see you there.

I appreciate the reasonable response but my criticism remains. a demo to me is supposed to show a little bit of the story yes, but also the gameplay and the gameplay that was here is so minor that it turned me off. I am glad other people didn’t find issue with the voice acting, but like PlanetX I also found it pretty bad. I don’t think this is for me but good luck with your launch Smile

PS I just checked out your steam page and the first topic on the page is full of criticism did you miss it?

https://steamcommunity.com/app/979480/discussions/0/3115920924814190087/

Total Posts: 645

Joined 2017-08-27

PM

Also tried the demo,and pretty much agree with PlanetX (especially about “edgy kid” vibe - I also got that) and jdawg445 - about puzzles and voice-acting. I tried it on Steam, and I went on the forum there as well - I think there are plenty of people who expressed similar views.

I actually think the game has PLENTY of potential, and there are good points - the story that (at least in demo) starts in medias res is intriguing, the fact the MC is Cuban and there’s Cuban cyberpunk setting is definitely unique, the santeria aspect - all cool stuff.

I’m inclined to think that this part might not have been the best choice for a demo. A demo is meant to entice the player, and maybe it’ll help to think about it from a position of a person who is completely unfamiliar with the game and only got 20 minutes to discover it. If I see an “easy puzzle” with a solution within 2 ft away - I’m not going to think “Ah, there must be a story explanation down the road!”. I’m just going to see an easy puzzle. As a developer, you, of course, know that there’s an explanation for this, but if you put yourself in the shoes of the brand new player - it might look different. I only see what I see, and I have no idea what’s next.

Either way, it’s on my wishlist (I have heard it helps with visibility), but it’ll be one of those games where I’ll check reviews of general pop before buying. I sincerely wish you well in your lunch. I don’t mind to be a black sheep when it comes to stuff like this, and I always happy for games/devs that did well, even though it might not have been my cuppa.
Good luck!

Total Posts: 11

Joined 2014-04-13

PM

Hello, adventure gamers!

I’d like to announce that our cyberpunk adventure Born Punk is out now! Here’s the store links:

Steam: https://store.steampowered.com/app/979480/Born_Punk/
GOG: https://www.gog.com/en/game/born_punk

Our trailer:

From the store page:

Bornholm. Today, a quaint island in the Baltic Sea. In 2155, a sprawling metropolis able to compete with major world powers. Thanks to the Space Elevator, a technological marvel built by Bornholm’s corporate consortium, The Conglomerate, few nations on the planet are more influential both in industrial matters and space exploration.

In Born Punk, the player slips into the role of three people (well, two people, depending on your stance on artificial lifeforms) living on the island: Eevi, a corporate combat hacker turned bartender down on her luck; Mariposa, the CEO of Bornholm’s biggest corporation; and a malfunctioning android who calls himself Grandmaster Flashdrive.

The three characters have one thing in common: they all, one after another, get possessed by strange entities of unknown origin and even less known intentions. They must work together - and sometimes against each other - to find out of the nature of those beings, what they want, and why they seem to think that their ‘mission’ is of vital importance for the future of humanity.

Again, from our store page, some of the game’s attributes that we think make us stand out:

* A classic point-and-click adventure experience: we’re very proud to feature our own distinct style, but we are also definitely influenced by games like Monkey Island or Beneath a Steel Sky and try to please both veteran aficionados of the genre and newcomers alike with a traditional pixel-art appearance and a streamlined, modern approach to game design
* Movement everywhere: you won’t feel like you’re walking through a still life painting; Born Punk’s world is alive and full of animation, soundscapes and small details to discover
* Choices and consequences: often, it’s possible to approach dialogues and puzzles from different angles. As a result, interactions and dialogues with other characters, the difficulty to overcome certain obstacles, and the results of many actions will vary greatly depending on what the player chooses to do
* Full voice-overs: every character in Born Punk and every line (our game features 120,000 words) is voiced by professional voice actors. Yes, that includes the cat.
* Bombastic music: the main theme and various other tracks are composed by Jeff Kurtenacker, composer of Wildstar and choral arranger of World of Warcraft. Jeff is joined by a merry band of synthwave musicians to create a genuine and emotional cyberpunk/sci-fi soundtrack with a Nordic twist
* Let’s be serious, it’s funny: Born Punk is science-fiction with heavy cyberpunk influences; but we’re also boasting a hopeful, often humorous undertone. Point & click adventures without at least a bit of humour are unthinkable to us!
* A comprehensive universe: there’s a slew of background info to read and experience, all of which becomes available in your PDA as you interact with the game world. Sometimes, in-game lore will also serve as an optional gameplay mechanic.

When we posted our demo here, we got a good amount of interesting feedback - both positive and negative - and much of it we implemented for the final version. We even revamped our inventory system in the last few weeks based on Adventure Gamers feedback, which now takes up a lot less screen real estate, is easier to navigate, and can be toggled to close automatically or stay on screen permanently. Cheers and thanks for helping us make a better game!

For those of you who’ve not heard of us before, I very much hope you’ll enjoy! For those of you who didn’t enjoy the demo, my hope is more aimed at trying to convince you to give us a proper try to see if you like the full game, and for those of you who have been looking forward to our launch: thank you for your support!

See you in Bornholm.

Falko, Lead Punk at Insert Disk 22 and making the game Born Punk
Steam Page | GOG Page | Twitter | Facebook | Instagram | Website

Total Posts: 844

Joined 2021-03-01

PM

I’m intrigued. It won’t take more than a couple of good reviews to convince me to purchase this.

Player, purveyor, and propagator of smart toys and games for all ages.
Facebook.com/weplayfaves
IG @weplayfaves

Total Posts: 190

Joined 2010-09-01

PM

Congrats on the release. The only problem is that you released it before I could finish Nightmare Frames. I feel like I’m being spoiled this week with these two games back-to-back.

Total Posts: 5837

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

I’ve just finished Nightmare Frames, a horror game (which I thought was excellent!) & have just started Born Punk which I think as far as I’ve got may be a very strong adversary to NF!  Smile

Total Posts: 1263

Joined 2016-04-08

PM

This game sounds promising and it is supossed to be released in Spanish soon, so I will purchase it then for sure!

Currently translating Strangeland into Spanish. Wish me luck, or send me money to my Paypal haha

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top