• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

IronCretin

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Harvey’s new eyes-Chaos on Deponia.

Total Posts: 946

Joined 2005-06-02

PM

Jackal - 20 October 2012 11:32 AM

I’m not “rationalizing” anything. Of course they’re charging what both markets will bear.  That’s simple economics.  But the fact remains that there are some benefits to buying the German version early. In no way, shape, or form did I say it was the REASON for the price difference. It’s simply a reality (that apparently some people fail to even acknowledge).

In no way, shape or form…? You can deny it till you’re blue in the face, but it’s in fact EXACTLY what you said:

English gamers pay less because they get none of those advantages.

But you have changed your tune twice since. First it was the long wait of 3 weeks for a game which is inferior to the original, then it was the box, and now you’re focusing on a pricey download, while casually admitting that “economics” play a big part after all.

If you’re going to quote me, at least respond to something in the quote, not something you’ve completely made up.

I have no idea what I’m supposed to have made up.

Yes, because obviously that’s the same scenario.  Shifty Eyed  See: apples and oranges.

You’ve lost me completely. Yes, it’s the same scenario. If this “simple reality” as you call it, is the reason people pay less for a localized game, then I fail to see why it should not apply to the localized German version of an American adventure. But the truth is of course that Germans do NOT pay less than Americans. 

Now playing: ——-
Recently finished: don’t remember
Up next:  Eh…
Looking forward to:
Ithaka of the Clouds; The Last Crown; all the kickstarter adventure games I supported

Total Posts: 3

Joined 2012-10-20

PM

Actually I think they actually get nearly as much money of a English download at Steam or GoG as they get of a German box-release. They sell those games at 30€ here an I bet they never get more than the half of the price of a box, just because of traders and taxes. Since their strategy generally seems to be an agressive starting price, most full-length adventures here are sold at 40€ here in Germany, they just take the lowest price possible for them to reach a broader audience. They won’t even care which version you get, because they get their money anyway. Oh, and it works. Just look at the sales for Daedalic games at GoG. They’ve increased much due to the promo and Carsten Fichtelmann’s (the Daedalic CEO) presentation at the CD-Project conference. So, either you get a box or a cheaper download.

About the games, well they are definitive the best Daedalic games to date and also by far the best modern adventure games out there. Harvey’s New Eyes might do some things different that many people liked about the The Breakout but is much superior game, with a high depth in it’s plot and (at least in German) a incredibly funny and intelligent humor.

Total Posts: 1894

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

I hesitate to get involved… but… Tongue
Theres two forces at work. The first is, when you sell a boxed version at launch, you dont want to undersell it by making the download a cheaper alternative. If theyr not priced the same then youre discouraging people from buying the boxes you spent money on. And manufacturing the box can be very expensive, so releases that include a physical copy should be more expensive across the board (things like kickstarters and limited prints break the rules here).
The second is, unfortunately things get priced based on what people are willing to pay. I remember a story where trent reznor realized his music was being sold for much more in one region than in others, so he called up the label and asked them why. And the answer he got was simple: they decided that group of people was willing to pay more.
I dont pay launch prices anymore usually, because a $60 game such as dishonored certainly isnt costing them that much to get the download to me, and in a matter of weeks theres sure to be opportunities to get it half that or less. But in the case of daedalic i wouldnt feel too bad about it, because the pricing decisions theyr making are probably based on what they need to do to survive.

Total Posts: 14

Joined 2010-03-18

PM

Well, I just finished the German edition of Chaos auf Deponia, and it was awesome!
There were some plot twists I didn’t like, but that appears to be intentional of the writers, since they got resolved in a nice way.

Really great game!

Total Posts: 1341

Joined 2012-02-17

PM

Fien - 20 October 2012 02:34 PM

In no way, shape or form…? You can deny it till you’re blue in the face, but it’s in fact EXACTLY what you said:

English gamers pay less because they get none of those advantages.

Okay, slightly lazy wording on my part. When taken in context of the (conveniently-ignored) sentence before it, I was clearly trying to say that English gamers get the benefit of paying less because we get less for our money. Or as zane said, it’s what English gamers are willing to pay for less benefit than German gamers get. Like you, I don’t set Daedalic’s pricing, so I have no idea what all went into their reasoning, and didn’t ever claim to.

But you have changed your tune twice since. First it was the long wait of 3 weeks for a game which is inferior to the original, then it was the box, and now you’re focusing on a pricey download, while casually admitting that “economics” play a big part after all.

Uhh, no. I’ve been clear all along that all three are factors, stating in no uncertain terms from the beginning that cost of disc version vs. download is the most important factor. Siddhi tried to isolate the timing point, but that was a strawman argument.

Yes, it’s the same scenario. If this “simple reality” as you call it, is the reason people pay less for a localized game, then I fail to see why it should not apply to the localized German version of an American adventure. But the truth is of course that Germans do NOT pay less than Americans.

Now it’s you with the strawman. You’ve singled out the localization as if that were EVER a standalone point.  It wasn’t then, it isn’t now, making this comparison moot.   

You’ve lost me completely.

Obviously that happened much earlier than now.

This is just a typical internet argument: nitpick any point, no matter how irrelevant, just to create misdirection. Seriously, what the hell are you even arguing?  That the price of the German download version is too expensive?  Can’t be, since I’ve already agreed to that, TWICE.  So what, then?  That your early, native language, boxed version of the game should cost the same as the late, English-translated, download-only version?  And if you do think that, I’ve already suggested how you can make that happen, TWICE. Because, you know, you have that option with a disc version.

You paid a reasonable price for a boxed game by any reasonable standard, so it seems you just want to be angry about something without really knowing what. And since responding to that has already take up far too much of my time, we’re done.  (Feel free to rant on in my absence. I’m sure the poor English saps that would trade places with you in a heartbeat will shower you with sympathy.)

zane - 20 October 2012 03:29 PM

I hesitate to get involved… but… Tongue
Theres two forces at work. The first is, when you sell a boxed version at launch, you dont want to undersell it by making the download a cheaper alternative. If theyr not priced the same then youre discouraging people from buying the boxes you spent money on. And manufacturing the box can be very expensive, so releases that include a physical copy should be more expensive across the board (things like kickstarters and limited prints break the rules here).

I agree that probably is a big part of the reasoning for the high download pricing. But I wonder if it’s actually true in practice. I think we’ve probably reached the stage where people will opt for boxed games or downloads based solely on which version they prefer now, not on whether the other version is comparably priced. The Kickstarters are actually an interesting test case, since of course people had to pay more for the boxed versions, and seemed perfectly willing to do so in many cases.

Total Posts: 1894

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

yeah, kickstarters, and the pay-what-you-want model are both pretty fascinating. Games could be priced completely differently 5 years from now.

Joined 2005-06-02

PM

zane - 20 October 2012 03:29 PM

Finally a voice of reason. Smile

Agreed, although I’ve seen downloads that were a bit cheaper than the boxed version at launch. But the boxed version of the German Deponia 2 is some five euros cheaper than the download. And in a couple of weeks, when the GOG promo is over, the download of the English Deponia 1 will also be five dollars more expensive than the boxed game at Amazon.

Daedalic obviously follows different strategies for the German and English market. The boxed versions of all their games on the English market appeared long before the downloads (and didn’t sell all that well), simply because they had no access to Steam and GOG at the time. Chaos on Deponia is the only exception.

Goldeneye - 20 October 2012 07:02 PM

The behaviour you’re now seeing with the GOG prices is that of a company aggressivly trying to get their product out on a new market at all costs.

Exactly! That’s the only reason for the absurd price difference between the English and German market. I’m glad someone agrees with me…

It’s sad to see that they still have to rely on these methods to get the word out even though Daedalic has been making quality adventures games for five years at an incredible speed (9 full size adventure games among a total of 23 games so far. And 3 more adventure games rumored to be in development for 2013).

Yes, it’s sad. I’ve defended them many times in the past. I love their games and I hope they will penetrate the English market, but their price difference is way too big and I’m not so sure it won’t backfire at some point.

PS: @Jackal: Lazy wording!?! WHAT?? All my responses to you in this thread assumed you meant what you said and now you’re telling me you meant something else?! I’m not even going to read the rest of your lengthy post, because I already know what’s in it. It’s always the same. You’ll be very devious and twist and turn to make the other person look bad and/or stupid, so you’ll come out looking good. Fine with me. You’re Jackal. You’re always right even when you’re wrong. You win. Okay? Okay.

Looking forward to:
Ithaka of the Clouds; The Last Crown; all the kickstarter adventure games I supported

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Schneckchen ^.^ - 20 October 2012 12:03 PM

I got the boxed version on day one because it was a very fair price and it is DRM free. I’m happy to support Daedalic and it just irritates me to see people cheap out on good adventure developers. It would be sad to see Daedalic forced to have to go the Kickstarter route for their future projects because of people like that.

It would be a different story if we were talking about Activision or EA but even then I wouldn’t start raging and blaming other people because I decided not to wait for a sale.

^ This.

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2005-06-02

PM

TimovieMan - 20 October 2012 08:37 PM
Schneckchen ^.^ - 20 October 2012 12:03 PM

I got the boxed version on day one because it was a very fair price and it is DRM free. I’m happy to support Daedalic and it just irritates me to see people cheap out on good adventure developers. It would be sad to see Daedalic forced to have to go the Kickstarter route for their future projects because of people like that.

It would be a different story if we were talking about Activision or EA but even then I wouldn’t start raging and blaming other people because I decided not to wait for a sale.

^ This.

Since Schneckchen was replying to my post and called me cheap, lazy and impatient because I objected to what I perceive as an UNFAIR price, I’m going to take these new attacks personally.

I have supported Daedalic all the way. Just read my posts concerning Daedalic in the old forum. I have bought both downloads and boxed games. Like the Amanita download of Machinarium and the boxed Daedalic game. I bought three versions of Edna and Harvey (German, English, Collector’s Edition) and gave away the English game here at this forum.  Cheap? Thank you. Unlike a lot of posters here, I don’t wait until the price of a game I want drops. Impatient and lazy? No, supporting Daedalic, just like I support other developers. But… and here comes the big but: I draw the line at being exploited by Daedalic. That price difference simply is too big.

Looking forward to:

Total Posts: 245

Joined 2006-05-20

PM

You know what, adventure developers should just get rid of the boxed edition and do download only. They can do a limited run of boxes for pre-orders or collectors editions, but otherwise they should focus on digital distribution. When they do that, they can get it into Steam, GOG, bundles etc. I think they would make a lot more money that way.

Total Posts: 190

Joined 2010-09-01

PM

Super stoked to pre-order Chaos on Deponia for 11.99 on Gog and I just finished Deponia on Monday so the timing couldn’t have been better. I hope that the third part in the series comes out as quickly.

Daedalic has really impressed me with their games. I have played The Whispered World, A New Beginning and Deponia. I really like the classic gameplay, the stories and the logic puzzles too. They are now my second favorite developer after Wadjet Eye Games!

I am excited to play The Dark Eye: Chains of Satinav but am waiting for either a Steam sale or Gog release. I am not sure about Edna and Harvey though. Will there be a review of Harvey’s New Eyes up soon? I’ll probably wait in any case since I have a huge backlog at the moment.

So many good adventure games coming out.

Total Posts: 2

Joined 2012-10-22

PM

Such a shame if they are digital download in english only. Digital downloads don’t interest me, I only buy boxed retail games.

Joined 2005-06-02

PM

TheLongestJourney - 21 October 2012 11:51 PM

I hope that the third part in the series comes out as quickly.

I read at adventure-treff and in an interview with Daedalic at gbase.ch that the third part is planned for next summer.

HR186S - 22 October 2012 01:32 AM

Such a shame if they are digital download in english only. Digital downloads don’t interest me, I only buy boxed retail games.

In Germany there’s still a market for boxed games, but in the rest of the world that market is collapsing. There was nothing in the interview about an English retail version of Deponia 2.

Looking forward to:

Total Posts: 514

Joined 2010-08-03

PM

i’m with HR186S…i’m only out for boxed games if there is an option.but i disagree with Siddhi.There are always people who prefer boxed games.If the bulk of people buy digital,which i hear is more expensive than the boxed,there is no risk for Daedalic to have small batches of boxed versions made here and there to accomodate people who prefer boxed over digital.correct me if i’m wrong but from what i know,the whole thing with the risk about boxed versions was when we had the publisher developer model and publishers took the risk of having big ammounts of boxed versions made and distributed with the possibility for the game to fail at the end,leaving behind a good deal of stock without any income and only damage to the publisher.now with the digital versions this risk doesn’t exist.to make small batches now and then,even if they’re not sold,is not a risk comparable to the old days since the digital version offers no risks.and with it being more expensive means there is a bigger income that justifies small risks of boxed versions.

Total Posts: 974

Joined 2007-02-23

PM

The problem with making boxed versions is that unless you sell it at a higher price compared to the digital version (if prices were put fairly on both products anyway) you’re basically losing money on each sale of the boxed version.

So if the boxed version is 20 dollars and so is the digital, you are losing money on the boxed version (again, unless digital is overpriced), and if digital is cheaper then almost everyone will buy that instead except a few hundred hardcore players, and then the production costs for the boxed version will be even higher.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top