• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

King’s Quest licensing speculation

Total Posts: 172

Joined 2011-06-03

PM

Total Posts: 966

Joined 2005-11-29

PM

I like KQ and wouldn’t mind more, but I’d be much more interest in a non-KQ Roberta Williams game than I would a non-Roberta KQ game.

Total Posts: 270

Joined 2003-09-11

PM

I understand this thread originated from another thread? The first posts make no sense, would it be possible to sum up everything that was said prior to the first post in this thread?

I just read Trowe’s interview at digital trends. It’s funny he considers Brian Fargo and Richard Garriott his peers Smile I’m now confident LSL reloaded will probably be fine, and Trowe had the gift to convince Al Lowe and Josh Mandel to work with him. But accomplishing this + a successful kickstarter doesn’t make him a peer of Brain Fargo….
For me it is still hard to take mr “I will kill Sam Suede” too seriously.

Anyway on topic, I wonder if Telltale paid a huge some of money for this unused temporary license of KQ? Also, I can live without a sequel to KQ, there are plenty of other great AG games these days. But, if Roberta would be leading a new KQ sequel, I might be interested in it. 

Max: Right! We’ll travel through this dimensional portal on the top of the bar!
Sam: That’s spilled beer, rockhead.
Max: Oh in that case ...

Total Posts: 506

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

Sorry, good point. I added an explanation on the first post.

Total Posts: 270

Joined 2003-09-11

PM

thanks Emily!

Max: Right! We’ll travel through this dimensional portal on the top of the bar!
Sam: That’s spilled beer, rockhead.
Max: Oh in that case ...

Total Posts: 619

Joined 2012-06-06

PM

“You people saying Graham is getting up there in years can just stuff it.”

Heh.  That has to be the most loyal defense of a fictional character I’ve seen in a long time.

I think a new King’s Quest game would have to have a new protagonist.  Kind of like how they used Connor in KQ8…. but definitely not like KQ8’s gameplay!

Bt

Total Posts: 880

Joined 2010-02-15

PM

Yay! More crappy games from Activision. They’ve ruined other genres, why not adventures? lol

Stuart Bradley Newsom - Naughty Shinobi || Our Game: Shadow Over Isolation

Total Posts: 8472

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Monolith - 03 April 2013 01:21 PM

Yay! More crappy games from Activision. They’ve ruined other genres, why not adventures? lol

If there’s one thing the past decade-and-a-half should have taught you, it’s that the adventure genre can not be killed. Wink

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2012-06-06

PM

TimovieMan - 03 April 2013 01:24 PM
Monolith - 03 April 2013 01:21 PM

If there’s one thing the past decade-and-a-half should have taught you, it’s that the adventure genre can not be killed. Wink

Heh.  I second that sentiment.

Bt

Total Posts: 880

Joined 2010-02-15

PM

hahahaha, I can live with that. We get some pretty terrible adventure games from terrible corporations and what happens because of it? Nothing, our genre moves on stronger than ever with developers that take the genre a bit more seriously. Grin

Stuart Bradley Newsom - Naughty Shinobi || Our Game: Shadow Over Isolation

Total Posts: 56

Joined 2011-07-29

PM

Lambonius - 02 April 2013 06:28 PM

Quest1/MtnPeak, watch this video.  It perfectly explains what Bt is talking about.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/jimquisition/7005-Innovation-Gamings-Snake-Oil

He is correct to an extent, but you can’t use that as an apology for adventure games still being exactly what they were in 1990. The 2D/classic vs. 3D/innovation argument would be like if in the 1940s, Disney fans were arguing on internet forums that cartoons were perfectly fine being what they were in Steamboat Willie in 1928. No need for color, complexity, better animation, newer techniques, better sound, feature length films, etc. Just keep doing new stories with 1928 technology/skill and stop innovation cold.

Total Posts: 2648

Joined 2004-01-18

PM

Telltale have officially confirmed it.

We’ve got word from Telltale Games, via senior VP of publishing Steve Allison, that King’s Quest is now back in Activision’s hands. Telltale briefly entertained the possibility of spinning out the license to a third-party studio, but ultimately decided against it. Still no word from Activision. You can read Telltale’s official words on the matter right here:

“While we deeply love King’s Quest here at Telltale, we can confirm that we are no longer working on the franchise. There was a time last year that we investigated partnering with third party developers to produce the game as a partnership but decided against outsourcing.  We are not privy to what plans Activision has for the franchise, if any.”

– Steve Allison, Senior VP, Publishing, Telltale Games

Read more: http://www.digitaltrends.com/gaming/activision-is-planning-something-for-kings-quest-franchise-rights-reportedly-recovered-from-telltale-games/#ixzz2PR1cWoxZ

An adventure game is nothing more than a good story set with engaging puzzles that fit seamlessly in with the story and the characters, and looks and sounds beautiful.
Roberta Williams

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Good thing they decided against outsourcing.

Will Activision make a browser game or an iOS infinite runner/match 3 game with the license?

Total Posts: 8472

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

JuntMonkey - 03 April 2013 04:31 PM

He is correct to an extent, but you can’t use that as an apology for adventure games still being exactly what they were in 1990. The 2D/classic vs. 3D/innovation argument would be like if in the 1940s, Disney fans were arguing on internet forums that cartoons were perfectly fine being what they were in Steamboat Willie in 1928. No need for color, complexity, better animation, newer techniques, better sound, feature length films, etc. Just keep doing new stories with 1928 technology/skill and stop innovation cold.

Except that black-and-white films are still being made, and we even got the rare silent movie with The Artist last year…

Innovation is not mandatory. And 2D/innovation is also possible… Wink

wilco - 03 April 2013 04:44 PM

Will Activision make a browser game or an iOS infinite runner/match 3 game with the license?

LOL!
King’s Quest Bejeweled! Crazy

It’d be the death of Roberta Williams, though…

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2012-06-06

PM

Think of this - that last time Roberta Williams had a hand in making a game, the children born that year will be able to drive cars legally in the United States.

Bt

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top