• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Community Playthrough #75: The Neverhood

Total Posts: 184

Joined 2021-03-21

PM

chrissie - 09 November 2022 01:18 PM

All you need to do with the potions for now is to make a note of the levels.

The first thing to do is to solve the crystals puzzle which is a separate thing from the potions. The reference to the order of colours, which I needed a nudge for, is a word in the room

Thanks managed to solve this puzzle with your help. Now with the potions. I’ m kinda annoyed with that kind of puzzles. I ll play more tomorow.

Total Posts: 517

Joined 2005-07-07

PM

Nico2021 - 09 November 2022 12:43 PM

Ok i m stuck at the colored crystals puzzle. I have found 3 potions on the same room, colored orange yellow and purple. They seem to be full. I also found 3 potions while riding the vehicle colored blue, green and red. Blue and green are 2 bars full while red i half bar full. I need to put 5 colors at the crystal but there are 6 potions. I dont understand what the game tries to tell me and the in game hint system doesnt help. I would appreciate some help. Also did you figure that out by yourself or you looked at guide?

I eventually figured it out by myself, but this is the puzzle I’ve been stuck at the longest so far in this game. I was mad with the game because of being stuck here a few posts back. The solution is quite simple albeit maybe a bit harder if, which is the case with me, English isn’t your first language.

Some more hints in three steps:

The vials with the colored liquid aren’t clues to this puzzle. This was mostly what misled me too.

The one and only clue is in the same room as the crystals.

Almost the solution: The puzzle is solved by decoding a name into colors. See any names there?

Edit: Sorry; I was too late…

Joined 2021-03-21

PM

It doesnt help that the colors of the crystals are the same with the ones in the room and at the walls with the vehicle. its like the game wants to point you at diferent direction while at the same time the solution is in front of you. The game keeps doing this with other puzzles also. Like the first time i got stuck at the room with the box that was watching you makes you think that it has to do something with that, while the solution was somewhere else. I guess it is clever design but at the same time is annoying and makes you feel bad when you solve the puzzle with help, because it makes you feel stupid when the answer is so simple.

Veovis thanks for the effort but when you know that the solution has to do with the word in the room its pretty simple after.

Total Posts: 2077

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

I finished the section almost in one sit — well, as long as making my way to the mouse and cheese counts. I have some unsolved puzzles and unexplored areas left since they need a lot of backtracking and note making. Man, I forgot how open-worldy and unlinear the game becomes at this point, and also how unforgiving it is here and there. That memory and also symbol puzzle in particular.

At the same time, some areas require just one click that opens a door or triggers a video. The pulling the pin cutscene was as epic as ever! And it’s always nice to meet Willie, even if he acts like an idiot) I also see how riding those wall cars could get annoying for some, especially since there are branching paths that hardly lead anywhere, but all I feel today is nostalgia, it’s an absolutely integral part of The Neverhood experience, same as the Hall of Records or first-person navigation.

I was also stuck for quite a while on the crystal puzzle, completely forgot the solution, only remembered that it had nothing to do with multicoloured beakers. But figuring it out was almost as heartwarming as back in the day when I spent weeks wandering in circles and clicking everything until it all came to me (and also thanks to Willie’s hints).

The radio tower is generally my favourite area so far, it’s just such a cute secret place with some cute secret puzzles which you need to uncover first (like some people in this thread mentioned, it took a lot of time on my first playthrough to figure what was there to solve in the first place). And you could just sit there and listen to numerous tunes, radio “shows” and silly noises recorded by Terry Scott Taylor.

PC means personal computer

Total Posts: 4273

Joined 2005-04-14

PM

Everybody wants to be Cary Grant.
Even Me.

-Cary Grant

Joined 2005-04-14

PM

Meh

Even Me.

-Cary Grant

Total Posts: 7446

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

ROTFL!
How many times did you ask for a hint?

Butter my buns and call me a biscuit! - Agent A

Joined 2005-04-14

PM

I got 15 or 16* unique letters from Willie. It’s not just that I need help, it’s also fun clicking on the mail box!

*I found a web page listing more than thirty of those, but I want to get them all by myself.

Even Me.

-Cary Grant

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

I never thought of that! Must be fun, I’m going to follow your example.

Joined 2005-04-14

PM

Speaking of FUN, I finished typing the whole text from Hall of Records a few minutes ago.  Cool

Yeah, I know you can say I’m crazy (there’s a whole text on a web site, for crying out loud!), but once there was a guy in Japan who made more then 3,000 swings with his chopsticks before he had caught a fly (in the air!)

I guess I have that Zen/Buddhist/whatever quality too.

Even Me.

-Cary Grant

Joined 2021-03-21

PM

zobraks - 10 November 2022 11:55 AM

Speaking of FUN, I finished typing the whole text from Hall of Records a few minutes ago.  Cool

Yeah, I know you can say I’m crazy (there’s a whole text on a web site, for crying out loud!), but once there was a guy in Japan who made more then 3,000 swings with his chopsticks before he had caught a fly (in the air!)

Thats crazy!!! How long did it take you to do so?

I’ m at the stopping point btw. There are some puzzles i can solve like the symbols panel and the mouse holes but should i stop or try to go for them?

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

zobraks - 10 November 2022 11:55 AM

[...]once there was a guy in Japan who made more then 3,000 swings with his chopsticks before he had caught a fly (in the air!)

Yeah, very persistent, but I also admire the stamina of that brave little fly fleeing and flying for his life 3000 times!  Tongue

@Nico: By all means, solve the symbol puzzle. It belongs to this section. The mouse maze is officially part of the final one which I’d planned to start tomorrow night. Let’s give Charo and zobraks one day to catch up.

Joined 2005-04-14

PM

Nico2021 - 10 November 2022 01:47 PM

How long did it take you to do so?

Only (almost) two weeks.

Even Me.

-Cary Grant

Total Posts: 2077

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

I also read all Willie’s letters. My favourite is

Klaymeb, you may have already won two bricks of klay!!! Willie

So silly, cracks me up every time I read. Then again, this was parodied long before email spam became a thing if I’m not mistaken? Or was spam a thing even back in 1996?

PC means personal computer

Total Posts: 5608

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

I played for about 2 hours today.  Other than my erratic mouse control and some strange-looking drawings because I have to use my left hand, I’ve been having so much fun with the game.  Listening to the radio was a hoot, and I solved it after a lot of wall riding.  I saved my game before jumping in the drain.  It reminded me of the bottomless pit in ZGI.

Difficult roads often lead to beautiful destinations.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top