• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Still Life 2

Total Posts: 1265

Joined 2016-04-08

PM

No, sorry, I said that I will probably play it, but not until next year. First of all, I have no time as I must test two games translated plus My Time in Sandrock which is endless (although very funny).

And second, I ended quite frustrated with some of Still Life puzzles, so knowing Still Life 2 is worst doesn’t encourage me precisely…

Currently translating Strangeland into Spanish. Wish me luck, or send me money to my Paypal haha

Total Posts: 5051

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

walas74 - 16 October 2022 07:06 PM

And second, I ended quite frustrated with some of Still Life puzzles, so knowing Still Life 2 is worst doesn’t encourage me precisely…

I wouldn’t say it’s worse, although I have said it’s not as good. Small distinction perhaps. The real difference is the inventory system. It doesn’t allow you to carry everything you need at the same time. For example a key only takes up one inventory space, while a mattress takes up all the inventory spaces. So in order to move the mattress, you need to find a place to temporarily store the key. It’s kind of like a maze, (I HATE mazes!) in that it is tedious and contributes nothing to the game.

Since there’s a 50/50 chance that I won’t be playing in the current playthrough, I could very well still be playing SL2 w/skeeter into the coming year. We’ll see what happens. Good luck with your projects.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Made it out of the cell/bedroom and saved. Was a bit tired so I’m taking a break.

If I had done things in a different order, it would have been easier. E.g, put the mattress on the glass shards before opening the medicine cabinet. Then save the game. I was also confused about the antidote. For whatever reason, I thought you needed to drink the two antidote vials. Wrong! You only need to find one. Also, when I found the computer chip, I assumed it would go into inventory. Again, wrong! It installed itself into the voice recorder without telling me it had done so. A lot of time wasted figuring out what went wrong.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I don’t know how long we will be playing as Paloma, but it seems as if I’ve been playing her character for most of the game. Anyway, I managed to get the electric collar off. Of course I had to get zapped one more time before that could happen. A relatively simple puzzle since the collar has four cells and there is only one clue we’ve run across so far that has four digits. I like the electric chair puzzle, although it isn’t obvious that there’s a meter panel attached to the chair’s arm. The icon that opens the panel is the same one that activates the handle that rotates the chair.

So I’ve opened Paloma’s door and saved. Probably will not play until I hear where skeeter is in the game. Or at least until tomorrow afternoon.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 406

Joined 2006-04-21

PM

I just got through Paloma’s door and got the collar off. I got electrocuted a lot this evening.

The real problem with reality is the lack of background music.

Knightette of the Order of the Caption

Music is what feelings sound like…

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

skeeter_93 - 20 October 2022 09:40 AM

I just got through Paloma’s door and got the collar off. I got electrocuted a lot this evening.

We’re pretty much at the same place. Big Hint: There’s an inventory problem in the morgue. If you don’t do things in the right order you won’t be able to pick up what you need. When you get to the morgue table there are two items. Pick up the powder first. Combine it with the spray bottle. Then you will be able to pick up the instrument. If you pick up the instrument first, you won’t have room for the powder and will have to restart from your last save. (I have personal experience with the restart sequence.) Smile  Once I put some water in the bottle I returned to the morgue and saved the game.

Edit: I recall that this is a timed sequence. Duh! When she looks at it Paloma calls it a “countdown clock.” So I’m giving myself a break until I can set aside 30min-1hr to complete the next task. Figuring I might need to restart a time or two. Hence the saved game.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I made it through the countdown clock puzzle. It took me four tries. Like the timed Morgue door puzzle in SL1, you simply can’t make any false moves. Go to the wrong door, you’re dead. Enter a wrong number, you’re dead. Once you’ve opened the door you’re pretty much free to take your time exploring until you’re again playing as McPherson.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 5837

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Just to let you know I have been interested in following yours & skeeter’s progress!  Smile

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

chrissie - 22 October 2022 05:31 PM

Just to let you know I have been interested in following yours & skeeter’s progress!  Smile

Hopefully we’re making you proud!  Cool

The countdown clock puzzle threw in some unexpected twists. In addition to no wrong moves, there are also no shortcuts allowed. E.g. you need to open the smart phone for each number. You can’t just open it once and enter all three numbers. If you try to enter the second number without re-opening the phone, the number won’t be accepted. That was one of my errors on my road to success.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 5837

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

I wasn’t sure what puzzle you meant until I just watched it on YT. I didn’t think it was too unforgiving for a timed puzzle. When I played it I needed a nudge for the codes to the keypad (which then seemed obvious) & went on to check the compartments independently going back to the keypad each time.

It does seem possible from the YT walkthrough though that you can input all 3 numbers in succession without exiting the phone.
Smile

Joined 2006-04-21

PM

When I went back to my game I realised I had already picked up the instrument, but not the powder or bottle. But I was able to run back and put the extinguisher in the cupboard in the first room, which made room. Then I was trying to spray around with no water Pan I only worked out the keypad puzzle from your clue, I’m not sure if I missed a clue from the game but I would have had no inkling to put those dates in otherwise. I feel like a lot of the game is poorly clued, but then again it could be me not paying enough attention.

I had trouble when I climbed out of the vent before getting the fuse box open, the icon to go back in disappeared. I couldn’t get it back so I eventually restarted a save, and had to go through the countdown puzzle again. I have no electrical knowledge, so it was trial and error. I’m not sure if sticking random metal things in a fuse box really makes it work…

I’ve never watched any, but this game reminds me of those SAW type movies that were popular, with people trying to escape places from a psycho murderer…

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

chrissie - 23 October 2022 04:14 AM

It does seem possible from the YT walkthrough though that you can input all 3 numbers in succession without exiting the phone.
Smile

I’ve not looked at a YT WT. I only know that I had to open the phone for each number. If I didn’t I died an “untimely” death.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I’m not saying it’s the case, but in SL1 some people experienced certain glitches and others did not. E.g., “dancing” at the entrance to the elevator. Or the problem trying to capture fingerprints from Todd’s mug. So it wouldn’t surprise me if the same game presented a different experience on different systems. Maybe it has something to do with GOG’s game updating procedures.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I wasn’t able to play for a few days. I’m back playing as Victoria McPherson. The switch between characters happened when Paloma tripped on the concussion grenade trip wire.

So far, in what I guess we can call chapter 3, it’s been a real slog. It involves investigating the killer’s house for clues to his identity as well as clues to where Paloma is. The search for hot spots is tedious, particularly on the outside grounds. I’ve resorted to a walkthrough a few times just to make sure I’ve caught everything. It’s a good thing because there was a tire mark on the same screen as another clue, and I totally missed it.

Then we go inside the house and things get worse. I can’t even tell you exactly where I last save except to say that I’m on the second floor for the second time to ask Garris about hacking a password to a computer in the basement, while he is still working to try to fix an electronic lock to a door.

And to top it off, we have an adversary on the local police department staff that is truing to investigate something about the murders on her own. Vic and she had a heated conversation that was quite enjoyable to listen to.

There are some technical glitches in the walkthrough, of all things. It’s the one I downloaded from GameBoomers. It often says to call Claire, but all you get is Claire’s answering machine. It says to take pictures of something with your smartphone. Well the game was released in 2005. And, to the best of my knowledge most phones of that era were rather dumb. I can’t seem to find the right button to take pictures with my phone, so that’s confusing. And there are other similar problems. So, while I’m frequently referring to the WT in this chapter, I give the WT, at best, a C grade when it comes to accuracy.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2006-04-21

PM

I am at the same spot, so I haven’t moused over your spoiler sections. I agree it’s a bit of a slog. I really felt like I was playing a CSI game, not a detective game. At least in the first game Victoria was actually doing stuff, this seems almost totally collecting samples.

I got attacked by a snake and had a timer to find the antidote. Because the basement was the first part of the house I had explored, and the clue was a cold place, I spent too much time rechecking the basement and the kitchen. The fridge taunted me because it looked like I should be able to do something, but all I had was a view of Victoria. I eventually died just as I got upstairs, in front of the deputy who didn’t seme to care. Then I woke up and my partner had fixed me. So what was the point of that?

I eventually found the anti venom, but never would have put together the bathroom and cold place, but I guess the first aid cabinet in the bathroom makes sense.

The taking photos with the phone just seemed to happen automatically I think. I seem to remember it said I need to take a photo, and the camera was up in the corner of the screen and I pressed it. I could be remembering it wrong though…

All in all, I feel like I still have a way to go with Victoria. There are a couple of things I need to do, and I’m not sure I have been in all the areas yet. There’s at least one locked door I need to get into.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top