• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Keybordz

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

AG Community Playthrough #67 Nelly Cootalot: The Fowl Fleet

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

I realize I failed to heed the checkpoint! I’m not too far ahead.

Well, why don’t you tell us about how much you like or don’t like the game so far since you are past the checkpoint.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 5051

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I, also think I went a bit too far. Managed to get myself in the box and drill myself some air holes. And find myself trying to figure out how to rig a race. Love the PnC so far. But the “what to do next?” is a bit perplexing.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

rtrooney - 13 July 2021 08:16 PM

I, also think I went a bit too far. Managed to get myself in the box and drill myself some air holes. And find myself trying to figure out how to rig a race. Love the PnC so far. But the “what to do next?” is a bit perplexing.

You went too far. But that’s Ok. You should come back to the dock and tell us if you like or don’t like the game so far.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

Well, it’s Wednesday, so let’s continue on. Let’s explore Port Rubicund and have some fun meeting the interesting people and solving some puzzles along the way.

Please post anytime what you think of the game so far, good or bad.

Please stop before you enter the following: Toff Race Cave:

As usual, you have one week to do this.

Heart

Image Attachments

CBD5BFC8-8271-47D4-B3CA-9FB3F3ECF864.jpeg

Click thumbnail to see full-size image

Total Posts: 1263

Joined 2016-04-08

PM

I finally ended a couple of things that kept me really busy, so I will start playing and catch up within this week.

Currently translating Strangeland into Spanish. Wish me luck, or send me money to my Paypal haha

Total Posts: 23

Joined 2013-05-26

PM

Adv_Lvr just asked me this question:

Many people love your game because it fills a Monkey Island hole in their lives - and others actually prefer your game to Monkey Island - which is high praise.

What’s your opinion?

I’m not sure I believe anyone prefers it to Monkey Island! I was a bit naïve when I made it - I thought you can have more than one pirate comedy, like you can have more than one dystopian sci-fi. You can’t, you can have Monkey Island, and games that remind people of Monkey Island.

No matter what user reviews (and the Jollyboat song at the end) say, the games aren’t packed with references to Monkey Island. I made an effort not to mention grog, the Caribbean or voodoo, and the music doesn’t have kettle drums. Any MI references you do find are probably unintentional plagiarism…

But, I think The Fowl Fleet can be a game that people look at and think, ‘I know what to expect here, another crappy Monkey Island fangame.’ And I think the game can surprise people by being a bit better than that - at least, if you share my sense of humour and taste in puzzles!

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

I’m not sure I believe anyone prefers it to Monkey Island! I was a bit naïve when I made it - I thought you can have more than one pirate comedy, like you can have more than one dystopian sci-fi. You can’t, you can have Monkey Island, and games that remind people of Monkey Island.

I disagree. I loved your game just as much and thought it was very funny. Your Ace in the hole is Neely Cootalot, she is adorable. Her British accent was simply perfect. MI fans since they haven’t had a game in 12 years would “flock” to a similar experience.

The same for cyberpunk really, if I played a cyberpunk game I really enjoyed I’d want to play another one.

Heart

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

But, I think The Fowl Fleet can be a game that people look at and think, ‘I know what to expect here, another crappy Monkey Island fangame.’ And I think the game can surprise people by being a bit better than that - at least, if you share my sense of humour and taste in puzzles!

I actually played your game first based on the excellent reviews and Aggie award. I enjoyed it so much I got Tales of Monkey Island to play next, which I also enjoyed. I liked your game better because I liked Neely better as a main character.

Heart

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

Karlok - 13 July 2021 02:08 AM
Adv_Lvr - 12 July 2021 08:46 PM
Karlok - 10 July 2021 12:45 PM

I can’t get Nelly to start, error code 51. I reinstalled the game and checked the file integrity, but that’s as far as I’m willing to go. I don’t want to turn off my virus scanner or fiddle with firewalls, so I guess I can’t participate after all. Frown

I looked this up:

“There are instances where the game you are trying to launch either has incomplete installation files or some of the files are corrupt. In this case, the game will fail to launch and cause Error code 51.”

https://appuals.com/fix-error-code-51-game-failed-to-start-on-steam/

Yes Adv_Lvr, I know. That’s the reason I posted: I “reinstalled the game and checked the file integrity but that’s as far as I’m willing to go. I don’t want to turn off my anti-virus software.” I can play Nelly if I disable it but I’m not going to. I’ve had the same problem with one or two games before.

Well, I hate to say it, but you can always follow the CPT on YouTube. Not as much fun, but better than nothing.

I checked out the video of Spoonbeaks Ahoy and the video is about 1.5 hours long. Which is a fine length for a game selling for 99 cents. Without a walkthrough you could be looking at 3 hours of playtime:

Heart

Total Posts: 1263

Joined 2016-04-08

PM

Well, I know I was supossed to be playing “The Fowl Fleet”, but I couldn’t help playing “Spoonbeaks Ahoy!” first…

It took me 4 hours (I like exploring every dialog and every combination, occupational habit from testing so many tranlations into Spanish I suppose) and I enjoyed every hour.

So if “The Fowl Fleet” is bigger, longer, funnier and better as everybody says, it just makes my mouth water. I promise to catch up with this CPT this weekend.

P.S And both games are translated into Spanish. What else can I ask for?

Currently translating Strangeland into Spanish. Wish me luck, or send me money to my Paypal haha

Total Posts: 183

Joined 2021-03-21

PM

Found some time to play the game tonight. I did the first section in 5-10 min and today took less than an hour. What i like the most so far is the graphics, accessibility and the feel good vibe of the game. Also i like the fact that the game guides you on what to do next. I find the game enjoyable and the puzzles are nice so far and not very challenging. From what i have played till now i cant say i find the game very funny because this kind of humour is not my thing but i certainly did smile once or twice in my 1 hour of gameplay. Anyway it is a great start and i m curious how the story will unfold.

I will probably try the first game also which i installed the other day.

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

walas74 - 17 July 2021 02:48 AM

Well, I know I was supossed to be playing “The Fowl Fleet”, but I couldn’t help playing “Spoonbeaks Ahoy!” first…

It took me 4 hours (I like exploring every dialog and every combination, occupational habit from testing so many tranlations into Spanish I suppose) and I enjoyed every hour.

So if “The Fowl Fleet” is bigger, longer, funnier and better as everybody says, it just makes my mouth water. I promise to catch up with this CPT this weekend.

P.S And both games are translated into Spanish. What else can I ask for?

Needless to say, I highly recommend playing the first game. And please post your opinions of that game good or bad. For 99 cents I made the plunge and loved it and it’s 1.5 to 4 hours long.

I’d say at least watch the video.

Heart

Total Posts: 928

Joined 2009-11-10

PM

I started the game and couldn’t stop myself until I finished it (It’s a game that’s too short not to play in one go imho, I don’t think I could have stopped at that stopping point). I have to say it was a great game, lot’s of fun.

Talking about the current part of the playthrough. I enjoyed the puzzle with the boat schedule, I always like puzzles that are based on reading and deduction like this. Not sure what other puzzle can be solved without going to the Toff Race though?

Adv_Lvr - 14 July 2021 06:22 PM

I disagree. I loved your game just as much and thought it was very funny. Your Ace in the hole is Neely Cootalot, she is adorable. Her British accent was simply perfect. MI fans since they haven’t had a game in 12 years would “flock” to a similar experience.

The same for cyberpunk really, if I played a cyberpunk game I really enjoyed I’d want to play another one.

Heart

Definitely agree with Adv_Lvr there, it’s very distinctive from Monkey Island and has a different sense of humor. Of course since Monkey Island and Nelly are both games about a pirate some comparisons will be made but I’d say no more than Technobabylon and Shardlight.

Total Posts: 2454

Joined 2019-12-22

PM

Nelly upholds a fine tradition of adventure game pirates, along with Duke, Gaius, Lana, Joyfess and Morgane. Whether honouring or homaging the mighty Guybrush, each of these heroes have been giving upright citizen protagonists a run for their money since the early 90s.

Maybe that’s why Sierra manuals were so big on discouraging piracy.

I’m still where I was, because I already entered the Toff Race Cave. Still enjoy the graphics and general tone of the game. It’s been more smiles and pleasant humming than laughter and shouting Eureka!, but that’s cool. It’s a laid-back experience, with enjoyable puzzles.

Total Posts: 5051

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

giom - 18 July 2021 10:31 AM

Talking about the current part of the playthrough. I enjoyed the puzzle with the boat schedule, I always like puzzles that are based on reading and deduction like this. Not sure what other puzzle can be solved without going to the Toff Race though?

It was a fair logic puzzle. Not as hard as the “Sally wore a green dress. Bill sat two seats to the left of Ernie “-type puzzle, But with an interesting twist. The fixed boards on the left side all start with ‘The’ e.g. The Greasy Chicken for the ship’s names. And the destinations on the right side have no such prefix. So, you would assume that this is the pattern for the missing boards. Not so! The Commodore’s ledger gives you enough clues to fill in three of the remaining six slots. The remainder, unless I missed something, were trial and error. I’ve solved what I think are the other two puzzles in this section, and can’t see what more I can do without entering the race track. (Which I erroneously did already, not understanding where the first endpoint was.)

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top