• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Pyoro-2

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

SpaceVenture (The Two Guys from Andromeda) 

Total Posts: 860

Joined 2017-12-19

PM

“After we release the game to you backers, we’re planning to release it on Steam.”

It’s funny how the meaning depends entirely on the context.

1) They have learned how some other projects made the game available in online stores before backers had their keys, and they are doing their best not to repeat that mistake.

2) They know that the game is buggy and want to use backers as free testers before they start taking money from non-backers, who would be nowhere near as patient.

So which context is correct here?

Anyway, it’s nice that there actually will be a release, which in itself is more than some other crowdfunded projects have accomplished.

And that physical game cover looks very cool too for those who may get it some time in the future. I don’t buy physical games anymore, but that box art, if it’s final, looks like it could fit nicely in someone’s physical collection.
I also love how they question their own talent and mock the long development time in the box text!  Laughing

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

I suspect the right answer is buggy. The previous beta version had some pretty bad bugs besides the save functionality and I doubt they have managed to iron them all out.

Joined 2017-12-19

PM

Is the release date good or bad?

Presumably unintentional, but it will be only few days apart from the new Monkey Island game.

It could be a good thing, as some magazines and websites will report these together, as “Two Guys from Andromeda and Ron Gilbert are back”, but because Monkey Island is a very strong adventure franchise and SpaceVenture is not, isn’t there a risk that the new Monkey Island will steal the spotlight?

This might be one of those cases where it is actually a good idea to postpone the release, not because of technical issues, but for marketing reasons. Of course after several years of extended development time changing the already announced release date would be a bad thing.

So is SpaceVenture in a very tough spot here, no matter what the actual game is going to be like?

Or is this like an early Christmas for adventuregamers, and they will buy both games no matter what?

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

In the case of SpaceVenture, I don’t think it matters much if they release it before or after the release of MI. While MI is going to get all the wind out from other adventure games, I do think the moment of SpaceVenture passed ages ago, mostly because all clout of “old Sierra devs coming to Kickstarter” has passed because of less than stellar results from the other Sierra veterans.

And even without MI, I don’t really see SV selling that well in anycase. Too much time has passed since its original enthustiastic funding. Now, it’s going to be something of a footnote among games released next month.

I’m happy to be wrong about this, as I do think SV shows promise. But if they Guys do more games in the future, it would be better if they’d do the ideas, story and design and have a bit more seasoned team doing the development.

Total Posts: 161

Joined 2007-09-11

PM

tomimt - 24 August 2022 04:08 AM

I’m happy to be wrong about this, as I do think SV shows promise. But if they Guys do more games in the future, it would be better if they’d do the ideas, story and design and have a bit more seasoned team doing the development.

I have impression from your posts that SpaceVenture is a game Space Quest fan would expect from Two Guys minus actual Space Quest license plus bugs. (Since Space Quest games are short, what you have written about length of the game sounds just like Space Quest games.) Am i right? If i am, then at least i have couple of pleasant evenings, even if the game commercially flops.

Total Posts: 2071

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

This is a strange marketing decision to say the least, just like the whole SpaceVenture kickstarter which will go into textbooks as one of the most incompetent campaigns. Would’ve released it now if I was them, last week of the summer, without waiting for Monkey Island to steal the thunder and to get some old-school fans hungry for comedy games on their side before it’s too late.

PC means personal computer

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

garbo - 24 August 2022 04:24 AM

I have impression from your posts that SpaceVenture is a game Space Quest fan would expect from Two Guys minus actual Space Quest license plus bugs. (Since Space Quest games are short, what you have written about length of the game sounds just like Space Quest games.) Am i right? If i am, then at least i have couple of pleasant evenings, even if the game commercially flops.

That is a reasonable assumption, yes. It has the feel of a Space Quest game, I’d say especially from around SQ3 and SQ4.

Total Posts: 84

Joined 2012-06-18

PM

tomimt - 24 August 2022 07:14 AM

That is a reasonable assumption, yes. It has the feel of a Space Quest game, I’d say especially from around SQ3 and SQ4.

Sounds good. I just don’t like the protagonist, he seems boring Meh

Joined 2017-12-19

PM

cozyhome - 24 August 2022 10:14 AM
tomimt - 24 August 2022 07:14 AM

Sounds good. I just don’t like the protagonist, he seems boring Meh

Who owns Space Quest IP these days anyway?

Out of all the big Sierra IPs it’s the one that no has used in the last 20-30 years. There was King’s Quest, many Larry games, a remake of Gabriel Knight…
Someone must own Space Quest today, but no one is actively using it, other than keeping those old games available.

So has anyone tried to contact the current owners, someone from SpaceVenture team, or some other team willing to make another Space Quest game? Is it legally too complicated, or are they asking some ridiculous price?

It’s too late now, but maybe there was a point when SpaceVenture could have become Space Quest 7, with some money going somewhere, of course. But if the new IP is not strong enough, and the protagonist is boring, then perhaps licensing Space Quest might have been a better option.

But I’m very surprised that no one else has done that either. Some new development team from Germany or something, but nothing.

Joined 2012-06-18

PM

GateKeeper - 24 August 2022 10:40 AM

Activision? Since Space Quest Collection was released by them.

Total Posts: 683

Joined 2010-02-05

PM

cozyhome - 24 August 2022 11:23 AM
GateKeeper - 24 August 2022 10:40 AM

Wouldn’t that be Microsoft now?

I Am the Knight of the Order of the Sun!

Joined 2012-06-18

PM

SpeedBo - 24 August 2022 11:53 AM

Wouldn’t that be Microsoft now?

Think so, MS also bought Double Fine…

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

Yeah, I do believe MS owns now most of the old Sierra IPs. I’ve been waiting for them to actually announce something based on those, as the MS game development head was pretty enthusiastic about MS owning Sierra IPs.

Total Posts: 179

Joined 2003-09-11

PM

I love this quote about the save game system:

As mentioned in the previous update, we had a couple of developers (one of which is the senior developer Patrick Johnston) that got together and worked four long days in getting the system where it needs to be. And the meet up was a success!

I’m sure the save/load issues have been there for at least a year, if not longer.

Why did it take them this long to sit down and crunch it out, if it only took 4 days? Shouldn’t they have done this 2 years minus 4 days ago?

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

The save issues have been there from the getgo. Where they actually messed up was, that they thought it would be easy to write a save system AFTER all the bits and pieces were in-game. But they didn’t account for how hard it is to hunt all the variables you need to save after a decade of development.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top