• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Lucasarts vs SIERRA: Who made the best Adventures?

Total Posts: 18

Joined 2004-12-07

PM

Karlok - 20 August 2020 07:46 AM

Are you serious?

sarcasm
/ˈsɑːkaz(ə)m/
noun
the use of irony to mock or convey contempt.
“she didn’t like the note of sarcasm in his voice”

Total Posts: 6590

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

GateKeeper - 20 August 2020 06:22 AM
diego - 20 August 2020 06:15 AM

I’m yet to see more ballsy and “cinematic” horror than Phantasmagoria.

Harvester?

You got me there. Though, Phantasmagoria is still more coherent and well-rounded game.

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

This is somewhat relevant to this topic, as I just heard that Ken Williams is writing a book about Sierra history: https://kensbook.com/

The contents presented start from how Ken and Roberta met and end with Mask of Eternity.

Total Posts: 142

Joined 2019-05-03

PM

I’m not sure I quite understand the point about the Zeitgeist of games; while I agree there’s certainly some works of art that don’t age well I’d argue that the best are actually that because they do so.

I’ve played many games years or even decades later, and of course you’ll sometimes be annoyed by certain things, or certain aspects of cultural humor etc might not quite work anymore ... but in the end you can still recognize a good game for what it is and a not so good for what it is as well. And you can also see in retrospective or top lists or ... that people don’t suddenly change their mind on what’s a good experience.

Case in point, Tetris is still one of the most popular games. There’s competitive leagues and everything. Pong as a concept didn’t quite survive as well but even in the 2000’s I played some 3D-Pong browser games along with others for highscores, so it’s not like people suddenly decided that idea was an awful one either.

So imo if the argument is that LucasArts games are comparatively more compatible with modern audiences than Sierra games then I’d say they were the better games in the first place, and that Sierra was too caught up in niche appeal that didn’t stand the “test of time”; or that, while they deserve credit for pioneering X or Y, they weren’t the ones leading those same innovations to “generell audience appeal”.

Total Posts: 860

Joined 2017-12-19

PM

tomimt - 20 August 2020 06:32 AM

Sierra was, in many ways good and bad, one of the first, if not the first, modern game company. Had they survived, I think they could have turned into something like what EA and Ubisoft are now.

Especially during the 80s, Sierra is perhaps the most important western game studio.

Wouldn’t Atari be the first and most important?
They created the whole business as a business to a great extent, and of course few years later almost destroyed it too, but that’s another story.

Sierra was important for sure, but they didn’t create the entire business.

tomimt - 20 August 2020 06:32 AM

But somewhere during the 90s, Sierra became a follower instead of being the leader. Smaller devs managed to surpass them with games like Lara Croft and Doom, which were a paradigm shift the same way Sierra’s Mystery House and King’s Quest had been before. 

That’s really why Sierra fell so hard. Other companies managed to utilize the new, emerging technologies faster whereas Sierra couldn’t make them properly work with their games. They simply lacked their own property techs like the Quake or Unreal engine that would have placed them again on the top.

Yeah.
The ironic part is of course that they didn’t need to have their own technological expertise to survive. Everything was actually almost handed over to them on a silver platter, but they were unable or uninterested to take it.

I am of course referring to Sierra being the publisher of Half-Life. There’s no doubt that at some point they could have bought and merged Valve, and with the wonderful help of hindsight we can then speculate how Sierra could have established Steam like Valve did, and becoming more or less the de-facto ruler of the entire game distribution system.

But, well, they published Half-Life and did nothing more with the franchise, and that’s the end of that story as far as Sierra is concerned.

tomimt - 20 August 2020 08:58 AM

This is somewhat relevant to this topic, as I just heard that Ken Williams is writing a book about Sierra history: https://kensbook.com/

The contents presented start from how Ken and Roberta met and end with Mask of Eternity.

Thanks for the reminder.
I don’t find any information if that is coming out as ebook or not. Hopefully it will be, so I can get it (I am trying to get rid of physical media these days).

I hope they can put an interesting spin on that Mask of Eternity. For most, Mask of Eternity marks not-so-great ending of Sierra as a developer, and if the book will end with that same feeling, it won’t be the best of endings for sure.

Total Posts: 127

Joined 2004-08-03

PM

I hear there is going to be a modest “tell all” factor to it as well. That is what really interests me.

YouTube: Weird Gaming Adventure
IG: weird_gaming_adventure

Total Posts: 6590

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Captain Blondebeard - 20 August 2020 12:29 PM

He should’ve made a game out if it. With dead-ends and everything. Smile

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

GateKeeper - 20 August 2020 11:29 AM

Wouldn’t Atari be the first and most important?
They created the whole business as a business to a great extent, and of course few years later almost destroyed it too, but that’s another story.

Sierra was important for sure, but they didn’t create the entire business.

You are right, Atari is indeed the first and was very influential for the whole industry as a whole. I’d argue that Sierra did surpass them for a while as far especially PC gaming went.

Total Posts: 291

Joined 2018-01-11

PM

I don’t remember if I answered in this post.

The old Sierra vs Lucasarts debate is it?

I prefer my classic adventures to be sierra, because for whatever reason, their game design makes more sense to me, and I find myself able to get farther/further (i forget) into them without help.

with Lucas arts games, I often struggle to understand what is expected of me, and because of that I get stuck for long periods of time, and get frustrated.

I think objectively Lucasart adventures are better, however my opinion has nothing to do with being objective.

And even though lucasarts tend to be more charming in some ways, often the experience is less of an “Adventure” -feel to me, and more of a playable cartoon.

Both are great, but it depends do I want to go on a an epic adventure, or would I rather play an endearing story?

Before you tell me how wrong I am, I know that there will be plenty of “what about this game?”  But just looking at my enjoyment of games, and which games I actually buy or beat etc, I find that I prefer Sierra games for some reason.

I’m always worried that in Lucasarts games that the puns will be a solution to a puzzle, where as with sierra, the puns are usually there to rub salt in the wound after a death LMAO

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

i know about that book for a while but i am not really interested bc of what i read Ken says that is only about ‘Market and product strategies’, things that ‘will bore people’ as he had put it.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Celebreon - 20 August 2020 01:40 PM

Before you tell me how wrong I am

There is no right or wrong in this particular debate. Smile

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 2648

Joined 2004-01-18

PM

Ken and Robertha are in Episode 3 of the New Netflix documentary on the history of video games.

An adventure game is nothing more than a good story set with engaging puzzles that fit seamlessly in with the story and the characters, and looks and sounds beautiful.
Roberta Williams

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

just watched Ep3, Ken and Roberta are appearing less than 10mins in 2 segments only. talking about the events of creating the 1st graphic game on computers, but there is a nice min were Roberta sets down and draws from her old memory and imagination the design of Mystery House, but wow, she is still very slick with her pencil at the age of 67, she looks very happy too.

Total Posts: 188

Joined 2004-03-18

PM

Pyoro-2 - 20 August 2020 10:25 AM

So imo if the argument is that LucasArts games are comparatively more compatible with modern audiences than Sierra games then I’d say they were the better games in the first place, and that Sierra was too caught up in niche appeal that didn’t stand the “test of time”; or that, while they deserve credit for pioneering X or Y, they weren’t the ones leading those same innovations to “generell audience appeal”.

LucasArts games have stood the test of of time because they were more widely available for longer, released sequels (and were picked up by Telltale) later, and jumped on remake/console trains sooner (Sierra hasn’t at all and may never - and by the time KQ2015 came out, LucasArts had loooong since won the post-‘90s PR war.) This all has little to do with the artistic merits of the games, and more to do with LucasArts still being alive to this day, Tim Schafer still being in the games industry, and a handful of journalists who grew up with LucasArts rather than Sierra who set the narrative for a generation starting in the mid-late ‘90s.

Yes, some of the lasting appeal does have to do with LA games typically being more accessible for modern audiences in terms of interface and dead-ends, and them being easier to translate to consoles for those reasons. But these are relatively minor factors in the real artistic merits of a game, imo. LA games having a “clean” feel and being embraced by modern audiences are certainly points in their favor, but they’re not the end-all be-all. Sometimes the best works of art are flawed or even “messy”.

If the company doesn’t go under and you have Ken Williams ordering QOL tweaks of the old Sierra games for consoles and Steam/GOG over the last 20 years, things may be different.

Total Posts: 860

Joined 2017-12-19

PM

Venkman - 21 August 2020 06:05 AM

LucasArts games have stood the test of of time because they were more widely available for longer, released sequels (and were picked up by Telltale) later

I get your point, but most Sierra games had been available for instance on GOG for a long time before the first LucasArts games were re-released in download format for the first time.

Speaking of which, HALF of LucasArts adventure games have never been re-released as downloads. The first two Monkey Islands haven’t been, there’s only been those horrible remakes, Full Throttle, Day of the Tentacle, and Grim Fandango have only been released as “remastered” versions, and those weren’t even done by LucasArts. And of course, Labyrinth hasn’t been re-released either, because for some reason they try to act as if it never existed - it wasn’t even on any LucasArts cd collections.

King’s Quest was also picked up by Telltale, for what it’s worth, of course they never actually worked on their planned game as far as I’m aware of, and the licence went to new developers.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top