• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

angelus_04

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Broken Sword - Parzival’s Stone aka Broken sword 6.

Total Posts: 1655

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

walas74 - 23 August 2023 12:49 PM

“Modern sensibilities…” You don’t rewrite classics for “modern sensibilities”. I am sick of it. That’s one step closer to Fahrenheit 451.

I do think it will probably be minor, if I had a guess, it will be to make the characters have authentic voice actors and be less stereotypes. But it still makes me roll my eyes. Bs1 is a 30-year-old game and we all know that.

Total Posts: 229

Joined 2006-03-25

PM

i’m so glad this is going to be in VR, that’s awesome! absolutely the best new frontier in adventure games, it’s absolutely tailor made for them and is revitalizing the genre. i’m going to have to get a new VR set for this.

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

crunchycrispy - 23 August 2023 05:06 PM

i’m so glad this is going to be in VR, that’s awesome! absolutely the best new frontier in adventure games, it’s absolutely tailor made for them and is revitalizing the genre. i’m going to have to get a new VR set for this.

I dont think its vr

Total Posts: 410

Joined 2018-09-09

PM

Jdawg445 - 23 August 2023 12:28 PM

...a few minor changes made to story and characterization to fit modern sensibilities…

Ah, great; another excuse for the cretinous and spiteful writers over at Mix ‘n’ Mojo to accuse anyone and everyone opposed to revisionist history (and censorship of legacy art in general) of being a neo-nazi.

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

St_Eddie - 23 August 2023 06:29 PM
Jdawg445 - 23 August 2023 12:28 PM

...a few minor changes made to story and characterization to fit modern sensibilities…

Ah, great; another excuse for the cretinous and spiteful writers over at Mix ‘n’ Mojo to accuse anyone and everyone opposed to revisionist history (and censorship of legacy art in general) of being a neo-nazi.

Lol.

Honestly this is an instance where two things can be true. Was some of the accents and characterizations a little stereotypical, sure. But also this is a game that’s 30 years old.  should fall under it is what it is lol.

Like I said my biggest issue even with the new game, is I feel like now Revolution is chasing an audience that truly does not exist. The only way this is going to be accepted by a younger more hip generation is if they change genres. Like make it an action adventure game like Uncharted and by God I hope that does not happen.

Total Posts: 7

Joined 2012-01-06

PM

Total Posts: 229

Joined 2006-03-25

PM

Jdawg445 - 23 August 2023 05:29 PM
crunchycrispy - 23 August 2023 05:06 PM

I dont think its vr

why is everyone talking about VR then?

Total Posts: 43

Joined 2020-12-03

PM

There were rumours of it being VR due to a leaked funding list of the European Union which stated a title “Parzival stone VR” which received a grant of €150k. VR would make sense as the game features a new technique called “Super 2d” for the visuals.

“Play out your adventure in a “Super 2D” environment, sculpted using 2D colored background elements applied to 3D geometry to move in real-time.”

So with a VR headset the scenes should look like a diorama. I can see that happening, but I also think there will definitely also be a standard version/mode with fixed camera, so they can sell it for devices without headsets.

Total Posts: 1079

Joined 2003-09-30

PM

Jdawg445 - 23 August 2023 06:58 PM

Like I said my biggest issue even with the new game, is I feel like now Revolution is chasing an audience that truly does not exist. The only way this is going to be accepted by a younger more hip generation is if they change genres..

They may try netflix formulae though.

“Going on means going far - Going far means returning”

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

Gabe - 24 August 2023 06:28 AM
Jdawg445 - 23 August 2023 06:58 PM

Like I said my biggest issue even with the new game, is I feel like now Revolution is chasing an audience that truly does not exist. The only way this is going to be accepted by a younger more hip generation is if they change genres..

They may try netflix formulae though.

Do you mean, by making it a show or movie. I use to want a movie, but now i think it would be generic genre fodder, especially at netflix.

Total Posts: 6590

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

This looks magnificent… it almost has me in tears.

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

diego - 24 August 2023 07:55 AM

This looks magnificent… it almost has me in tears.

It is beautiful in its own way, but I can’t lie I do kind of miss the slightly pixelated look. Especially for the dead body in the corner of the cafe because my imagination always made it worse than it probably was. But there is no denying that it has a very painting like quality, very dream like.

Total Posts: 6590

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

It is true that pixelated look has it’s own unmatched charm, especially when it is artistic piece of work like Broken Sword or Monkey Island 2.

However, I’ve never seen this level of upscale quality - it is preserving the hand-painted style in hi res and without that ugly upscale filters and loss in colors or shadings. I don’t know how they did this, probably re-scanned the original drawings.

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 43

Joined 2020-12-03

PM

Looks more like they completely re-drew and re-animated everything, than a simple upscale. Look at the details, looks completely different.

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

dirac - 24 August 2023 10:06 AM

Looks more like they completely re-drew and re-animated everything, than a simple upscale. Look at the details, looks completely different.

George looks almost like a completely different character especially in the face for obvious reasons. From what Ive read from Charles giving an interview with polygon is that computer generated AI took care of the bodies and motion while actual artists drew every character’s face and hands.

But the more interesting aspect is this looks better than the actual new broken sword 6 game, which is not necessarily a good thing. You hate for a remaster of an original 30 yr old game to look better than the new 20c24 game you’re about to put out.

Here is the quote about the remaster.

Fans have long called for Shadow of the Templars to be released on modern platforms, but Cecil knew that would require a full remaster of its beautiful, but low-resolution, animated visuals. And that is a huge task: It comprises 30,000 hand-drawn sprites animating hand-painted backgrounds. It was simply too much to contemplate; Cecil estimates that each frame of an animated sprite would take an hour to draw. “30,000 times one hour, times, you know, £15 to £20 an hour, is an awful lot of money,” Cecil says.

So Revolution investigated whether AI could be trained to help update the distinctive look of the Broken Sword games without affecting the overall vibe. “What I wanted to do was to recreate this game that everyone remembered and loved, but not change it except to enhance it,” he says, noting the negative reaction to changes in the Monkey Island games’ art style. Early experiments with upscaling the backgrounds didn’t work out; luckily, Revolution still had the original line drawings by Hollywood animator Eoghan Cahill, so it had human artists work from those instead.

For the sprites, Revolution produced “a few hundred” by hand and took them to the University of York, where an AI research team used them to train a GAN (generative adversarial network). The result “wasn’t quite good enough,” Cecil says, but a tip from a Nvidia engineer about how to use AI to interpolate frames in between hand-drawn key frames prompted a breakthrough.

“Instead of taking an hour to do each one, it takes between 5 and 10 minutes to do each one,” Cecil says. “We’re training the model on our own sprites… What we’ve really focused on is the outlines and the detail in the body, because there’s no way that the hands and the head are going to [look right]. So we have to manually draw their hands and faces.” The hands and head are pasted on after, with animators taking care to flesh out facial expressions that the original art didn’t have enough detail to resolve.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top