• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

The Critter Chronicles.

Total Posts: 87

Joined 2007-07-23

PM

Making the puzzles easier could involve spelling more out or just giving (more) hints. Doesn’t need changes to the puzzles themselves.
This is why I don’t agree with things needing to be easy (and/or simple) to be accessible (TWD thread for example, but applies to all genres not just adventures), as they could be designed to be adequately hard, then made optionally more easy/accessible without compromising either the puzzles/gameplay or the story.

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

Dag - 07 December 2012 10:59 AM

It’s not at all obvious to me atleast. To me it sounds like you are saying that decreasing or increasing the difficulty of a puzzle is entirely impossible unless the puzzle itself has absolutely no relevance to the story.

Let’s have an example then (spoiler): In SoMI Guybrush needs to figure out where the swordmaster lives. The actual solution is to ask the shopkeeper you want to see the swordmaster and then follow him through the forest to the secret location.

Now add a “Hard Mode” to this, where in addition to this you find that the shopkeeper’s shop is locked, so Guybrush tells us he needs to find a lockpick. But you don’t have any money so you need to make the lockpick by smelting iron by going to the forest and mining it yourself from the mine. Alas, you don’t have a pickaxe in your inventory so you have to steal it from the miner in the town. To do this you have to distract him. He tells you after a long dialogue that there’s a nearby woman he’s keen on so you need to convince her to go and talk to him. But she wants a reward for this, so you need to find her earrings which the pirate in the Scumm Bar will give you in exchange for a rootbeer, which you must get by clicking “push” on the rootbeer machine three times, whereupon a piece-of-eight comes out of the change slot allowing you to buy the rootbeer. So you give it to the pirate, get the earrings, convince the woman to distract the miner, get the pickaxe, mine the iron, make the lockpick and finally get into the shop so you can talk to the shopkeeper.

*Phew!* See what I mean now? What does any of this add to the game? It’s tedious and dumb and doesn’t add anything or relate to any of the other events in the game. All it does is extend the game by adding meaningless challenges. A lot of adventure games do this so unfortunately we’re used to it, but the fact is it’s a terrible way to make a game.

Total Posts: 1289

Joined 2012-07-15

PM

I do see what you mean, and I’m not saying that TBOUT didn’t have any puzzles like that. What I’m saying is that having several diffuculty settings in a game is hardly proof of a story written without any puzzles in mind, as a puzzles difficulty (a puzzle that IS tied to the story) can easily be adjusted without adding additional, non-relevant puzzles, as Blah (and Lucien below) made a good example of.

Duckman: Can you believe it? Five hundred bucks for a parking ticket?
Cornfed Pig: You parked in a handicapped zone.
Duckman: Who cares? Nobody parks there anyway, except for the people who are supposed to park there and, hell, I can outrun them anytime.

Total Posts: 2648

Joined 2004-01-18

PM

I see your point.

I really only comes down to two options if you want multiple difficulties.

* Add in extra Puzzles (But that just lenghtens the game and might not affect difficulty.
* Replace puzzle with a harder one.

In the SoMi example above. Maybe you make it harder to follow the swordmaster, by making him go a more difficult route or by making him faster or make it easier for him to detect you following him.

An adventure game is nothing more than a good story set with engaging puzzles that fit seamlessly in with the story and the characters, and looks and sounds beautiful.
Roberta Williams

Total Posts: 363

Joined 2012-09-20

PM

Oscar - 07 December 2012 08:09 AM

The puzzles in BOUT were such a chore. The story was fun and the jokes were usually funny, but I got the impression the way they went about making the game was to pen a story first, and then fill it with obstacles to be passed by collecting whatever the game lets you collect, combining whatever the game lets you combine and then using your remaining inventory items on whatever the game decides they should be used on. I always wanted to move the game along but found myself faced with the task of finding an object to combine with something else to fix a random item that was only there in the first place to block my progress.

If Critter Chronicles is no better, I doubt I’ll like it much without a good story like BOUT’s. The fact it has “normal” and “hard” difficulty levels confirms the puzzles aren’t really integrated much at all.

Well, for your information, Critter Chronicles is EXACTLY like that. I don’t know how somebody can say that the game is easy and short with puzzles that have no logic at ALL and you have to do “trial and error” ALL the time with ALL itens in the inventory with ALL spots on the screen and with ALL characters in the game. Sometimes, you get lucky and FINALLY do something right in the game. I’m in chapter 4 and spent over 6 hours already (in a row) and I admit it is getting frustrated to continue with no walkthroughs yet.

Total Posts: 14

Joined 2010-03-18

PM

Really liked this game when I played it in German. I must say I didn’t like Nate from the first game, and indeed liked Wilbur much more. But the critter was very loveable in this episode, and I enjoyed it.

Total Posts: 1079

Joined 2003-09-30

PM

I like the humorous tone of dialogs and funny script in general,with trademark eye candy visuals definately playworthy prequel.

“Going on means going far - Going far means returning”

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

Lucien21 - 07 December 2012 12:17 PM

I see your point.

I really only comes down to two options if you want multiple difficulties.

* Add in extra Puzzles (But that just lenghtens the game and might not affect difficulty.
* Replace puzzle with a harder one.

In the SoMi example above. Maybe you make it harder to follow the swordmaster, by making him go a more difficult route or by making him faster or make it easier for him to detect you following him.

Absolutely, which is why I said the puzzles weren’t “really” integrated. There are always ways to do things better. And maybe COMI’s Mega Monkey Mode did things better than Critter Chronicles did. It helps that the original mode’s puzzles in COMI were certainly far more interesting.

Joined 2012-09-20

PM

When I said that this game’s puzzles have no logical at all, I’m trying to say that the game is not logical. It was build this way, I guess. It is funny. But what I don’t like at all is the WAY they put the puzzles into the game. To try everything you have to see if they combine and THEN try everything you combine to see if it has an effect IN game? And if you don’t succeed, try passing out the things you have to another character? With no logical explanation of why I have to do that? It makes you go forward and backwards all the time, which just makes you spent time playing but with no porpuse at all for the story of the game! Just to make you feel you acomplish something at the end, after hours trying to go through the chapters. They could do it better if they just cut half the itens you have to collect and cut half the “trials and erros” whit the itens you collected. And focus on the story, that is, by the way, interesting.

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

I have just installed the game, and now im wondering if i should play it in easy or difficult mode.

Normaly the choise would be easy (i would choose difficult mode), but if all difficult mode does is add more trial and error, is it then really worth it?

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 1289

Joined 2012-07-15

PM

Now, I haven’t had time to get started with Critter Chronicles yet, so I can’t speak for that game, but I played BOUT, and I found the puzzles there to be fair and logical. I never needed to use hints or a walkthrough, and I only got stuck for a longer period once. In fact, I was a bit disappointed about how easy the puzzles were in general. I certainly wasn’t combining everything with everything to make progress. I doubt the game could ever receive such praise if the majority of puzzles had been perceived as illogical.

Over the years, I’ve become very opposed to the use of walkthroughs (unless it’s for an old Sierra title, or other games with dead-ends), and I find that as soon as you’ve turned to a walkthough for a solution, the next time you get stuck, you will consult the walkthrough sooner, and the next time even sooner, and so on. I’ve gotten stuck in this loop many times myself, and when it happens, I’ll often lose the ability to enjoy the game. And what is more frustrating than reading the solution for a puzzle that you, in retrospect, know you should have been able to figure out for yourself? I find that if Im hopelessly stuck, getting some fresh air, playing something else for a little while or just taking a short break from the game - when I come back to it, I’ll usually be able to see things in a different light, and come up with ideas that I was completely blocked from before.

It’s so easy, in one sitting, to get stuck in a pattern of thoughts that prevents you from reaching the correct solution. Actively breaking the pattern by shifting your focus to something completely different for a little while, has really worked for me. After adopting this philosphy, I was surprised at how much my puzzle solving “skills” improved.

Discworld…. now there’s a game requiring trial and error… Smile

PS. I hope it’s clear that I’m not trying to offend anyones puzzle solving-ability, but rather trying to share a way of going about adventure games that has not only helped me to enjoy them more, but also to feel better about myself (yes I feel very good about myself when I complete a game entirely without resorting to a walkthrough Grin ).

Duckman: Can you believe it? Five hundred bucks for a parking ticket?
Cornfed Pig: You parked in a handicapped zone.
Duckman: Who cares? Nobody parks there anyway, except for the people who are supposed to park there and, hell, I can outrun them anytime.

Joined 2012-09-20

PM

Maybe you are right, Dag. Or maybe I’m getting old pretty fast! Or maybe I was not in a good day when I posted before. I’m from the time before Internet and was able to finish Leisure Suit Larry 1, 2 and 3, King’s Quest 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5 with NO WALKTHROUGHS at all at that time!!! That was something. But, really, some puzzles in Critter are just “trial and error” and illogicals or ” to use a bellows on someone to inflate him and make him fly like an helium ballon (mind you: I said bellows which only blows air)” is logical? Sure, AFTER you do that, as a final resource, you could say “Yeah, that makes sense”. But who with a good sense would had thought of it? But, never mind, the game is still good.

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

Dag - 08 December 2012 02:36 PM

Over the years, I’ve become very opposed to the use of walkthroughs (unless it’s for an old Sierra title, or other games with dead-ends), and I find that as soon as you’ve turned to a walkthough for a solution, the next time you get stuck, you will consult the walkthrough sooner, and the next time even sooner, and so on. I’ve gotten stuck in this loop many times myself, and when it happens, I’ll often lose the ability to enjoy the game. And what is more frustrating than reading the solution for a puzzle that you, in retrospect, know you should have been able to figure out for yourself?

I know exactly what you are talking about. Once you have found the walkthrough, it is so easy to just take a quick peek, and you end up spoiling it for yourself.

Just to figure out how much difference the difficult setting matters, i played most of chapter 1 on both settings, and found that it really doesn’t make much difference, there is some extra steps in some puzzles, but the puzzles are basically the same.

So far i have also found the puzzles pretty logical, though sometimes far fetched.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

+1 for the No-Walkthroughs-Or-Hints Club! As soon I use them I automatically lose a little interest in the game. I don’t know why it happens, it just does. It took me a long time to acknowledge it until I noticed I was rating games in which I used hints or walkthroughs lower than games I didn’t.

Developers who add hints are unwittingly sabotaging their own game.

Joined 2012-09-20

PM

Ok, now that we all agree that walkthoughs are “evil”, and I will not use them anymore, can I at least get a hint on one puzzle that I tried three hundred times with no success? I’ll put in spoilers - In chapter 4, there is a time you have to paint a canvas for the arch-mage. Do I really need to paint it, exactly? Or there is another way? Because I’m a terrible painter, and every time I show the canvas that I paint with the grapes and bottle of wine to him, he tells me that it’s no good. Help, please!.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top