• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Jdawg445Keybordz

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

King’s Quest licensing speculation

Total Posts: 245

Joined 2006-05-20

PM

Honestly, I’m not sure I want to see another Kings Quest. If someone is going to be making a new game, let it be a new IP. That’s one of the reasons I’m happy we’re getting Moebius instead of GK4.

As for Telltale, I like their games. They have a formula and rarely deviate from it, but the formula works for them. And they have been quite innovative. They took a risk with Jurassic Park, which was generally panned but it laid the foundation for Walking Dead, and that helped them find a huge audience that they never had before.

Total Posts: 966

Joined 2005-11-29

PM

Siddhi - 02 April 2013 11:48 PM

Honestly, I’m not sure I want to see another Kings Quest. If someone is going to be making a new game, let it be a new IP. That’s one of the reasons I voted for Moebius instead of GK4. I mean, its the same developer, so the new IP could be similar in style to the original game anyway. Then you dont have to bother about who holds which license.

There’s a lot of truth to this. I feel like some of these old series ran their course, and starting fresh is almost for the best. SpaceVenture is another example. I’m glad to see those guys working together in the genre again, but there wasn’t anything about the Space Quest storyline in particular that I think needed revisiting.

On the other hand, there are series like Dreamfall and Tex Murphy that were left with unfinished business and unresolved stories that I’m very happy to see continued.

Total Posts: 1235

Joined 2013-03-31

PM

Frogacuda - 02 April 2013 11:51 PM

there wasn’t anything about the Space Quest storyline in particular that I think needed revisiting.

Didn’t Space Quest 6 end on something of a cliff-hanger?  At least as far as Roger’s relationship with his future wife was concerned?

I do agree with your sentiment in general, though.

Joined 2005-11-29

PM

Lambonius - 03 April 2013 12:00 AM

Didn’t Space Quest 6 end on something of a cliff-hanger?  At least as far as Roger’s relationship with his future wife was concerned?

And yet who really cares? SQ6 wasn’t very good, and serves as a shining testament to the fact that the writing is, was, and always will be more important than the characters when it comes to that series.

Total Posts: 358

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

New Dan Connors interview:

http://www.digitaltrends.com/gaming/telltale-games-ceo-dan-connors-on-the-walking-dead-fables-and-building-a-television-studio-model-for-games/

Now does that give you pause? When you look at Monkey Island, which is a very interesting case where you’re working with a familiar IP in the realm of gaming. It’s not a comic book or a TV series, it’s a classic game. The news came out a few years ago that you had the license for King’s Quest. Do you re-think how you approach that or whether or not you do something like that when it sort of represents… a step away from the Telltale voice?

I think there’s an expectation that comes with the classic stuff that puts us in kind of a no-win position where we’re going to disappoint on some level if we don’t stay true to the roots there. Right now we’re in a place where we’re really pushing in a new direction. I think there’s a possibility to be back in that space and modernize some of the older franchises still, but right now our focus is certainly The Walking Dead and Fables: The Wolf Among Us. They’re taking up a lot of our mental bandwidth.What we do next is still something we’re working on, but I think we’re going to have some very cool, future-looking announcements. I think ‘modern’ is kind of the key word. Bringing stuff forward from the past, that’s not a huge focus for us right now.

Wow. Definite swipe at KQ. It’s not even subtle.

It’s the same old talking points from Telltale. “We are the future. Those other games are the past. We are evolved.”

Never mind that Telltale games like Jurassic Park seem to draw inspiration as much from the early 1980’s Dragon’s Lair as anything particularly “modern”. And how much original IP has Telltale introduced? Aren’t all their games based on some already successful franchise? I don’t consider them in same league as a LucasArts or Sierra.

No wonder many KQ fans were wary about Telltale doing KQ.

Sorry, just had to vent here.

Anyway, I’m looking forward to KQ coming back strong and in top form!! It will happen.

Total Posts: 1235

Joined 2013-03-31

PM

I just have to say this:

I think Dan Connors is a walking pile of horse shit.

But, anyone who is a fan of King’s Quest should be pleased.  Reading between the lines with what he said—it’s pretty damn clear a Telltale bastardization of King’s Quest is not happening. 

Thank.  GOD.

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

Lambonius - 03 April 2013 12:24 AM

I just have to say this:

I think Dan Connors is a walking pile of horse shit.

But, anyone who is a fan of King’s Quest should be pleased.  Reading between the lines with what he said—it’s pretty damn clear a Telltale bastardization of King’s Quest is not happening. 

Thank.  GOD.

Magnificently put. Although I don’t know Dan Connors personally, and he might be a swell guy. But I agree with the basic premise. :-)

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

Double post. Had to delete. Sorry.

I will take this opportunity to say…

Bring on the new King’s Quest from yet to be announced developer! I’m excited about it.

Total Posts: 78

Joined 2005-12-09

PM

Activision doing adventure games? That’ll be the day. Really wouldn’t get my hopes up too high, whatever they’re working on.

Frogacuda - 03 April 2013 12:05 AM
Lambonius - 03 April 2013 12:00 AM

And yet who really cares? SQ6 wasn’t very good, and serves as a shining testament to the fact that the writing is, was, and always will be more important than the characters when it comes to that series.

I… care. Embarassed *walks away downcast as sad violin music plays*

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

I’d love to see Activision churning out an adventure game, be it King’s Quest or something else. God knows they got a stack of licenses they’re not using, so it would be nice of them to point some pocket change on games that cost less than 100 million to make.

Total Posts: 8472

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

I feel like some of these old series ran their course, and starting fresh is almost for the best. SpaceVenture is another example. I’m glad to see those guys working together in the genre again, but there wasn’t anything about the Space Quest storyline in particular that I think needed revisiting.

On the other hand, there are series like Dreamfall and Tex Murphy that were left with unfinished business and unresolved stories that I’m very happy to see continued.

^ This.

But I can apply this point to King’s Quest too. Since Mask of Eternity was more or less universally reviled, do we really need a continuation of the Daventry Royal Family’s story?
Especially considering the series wasn’t particularly strong story-wise (KQ6 excepted)?

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 990

Joined 2009-05-08

PM

Yeah, most of us had already accepted Sierra’s demise before the Kickstarter moment last year. Still, if there’s a buzz about King’s Quest coming back - I’d be a vocal supporter just to see how they’re brought up to date with modern technology and design.

Much more interested in a project like that rather than a sequel to the Walking Dead that will have you in control of Clementine. They have a difficult act to follow with that.

Joined 2005-11-29

PM

Quest1 - 03 April 2013 12:20 AM

And how much original IP has Telltale introduced? Aren’t all their games based on some already successful franchise?

Almost as a matter of policy. Puzzle Agent being the notable exception, and even that is arguably based on Grickle.

Total Posts: 619

Joined 2012-06-06

PM

TimovieMan - 03 April 2013 06:47 AM

I feel like some of these old series ran their course, and starting fresh is almost for the best. SpaceVenture is another example. I’m glad to see those guys working together in the genre again, but there wasn’t anything about the Space Quest storyline in particular that I think needed revisiting.

^ This.

But I can apply this point to King’s Quest too. Since Mask of Eternity was more or less universally reviled, do we really need a continuation of the Daventry Royal Family’s story?
Especially considering the series wasn’t particularly strong story-wise (KQ6 excepted)?

Some people are just in love with a brand, you know?  I don’t really think there’s anything that needs revisiting in them - but if they’re going to make them, I’d rather they be well made games.  KQ8 was definitely a stumbling block.  But the stories and characters of King’s Quest are so generic, I don’t feel there’s anything there that really needs to be tied up.  I mean, hell, 23 years ago Graham was already an older, graying haired-man!  At this point, a King’s Quest would probably be much like KQ1 - Graham finding an heir to the country!  And then comically keeling over dead at the end.

Bt

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

I love the King’s Quest series and look forward to some grand new quests!

It’s the creative melding of so many mythology and fairy tale elements, the huge, explorable worlds and the epic scope/feel of some of the quests. I love the innocent, corny puns, the beautiful art and the special warm and fuzzy KQ feeling (and I don’t mean nostalgia) you get when playing a charming game like KQ5. I love that no fantasy situation is too corny or outlandish or out-of-place in a KQ. You’ll get swallowed by a whale, defeat a Yeti, ride a unicorn, turn into a frog, encounter cupids, have a wizards duel, etc etc. I still find KQ4 to be one of the most fun adventure games. The world feels large and diverse and so much is examinable; it isn’t just a dead backdrop you can’t examine as, unfortunately, it is in many LucasArts games. The danger and potential for death also adds to the challenge, making completion of subquests all the more rewarding.

And I Iove the royal family of Daventry. Without their unique, collective adventure experience and their close family bond, it just wouldn’t be KQ. Yes, I would like to check in with Graham after KQ7. You people saying he is getting up there in years and is ready to keel over can just stuff it. He was fitter in KQ5 than any naysayer, I bet, and he can still quest with the best of them. The man has some good genes.

Bring on a huge new KQ with all the modern trappings!! Would be wonderful to see the series introduced to a new generation.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top