• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

rtrooney

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

AG Community Playthrough #82: The Dream Machine

Total Posts: 1274

Joined 2016-04-08

PM

Hi! I finally ended Chapter 3.

About Chapter 2; I understand that Morton’s death was necessary to progress in the story and because now we are the only one who can defeat the dream machine.

I love the way Chapter 2 introduces us into the Dreamscape. The game grows a lot from that. I was lucky (I fortunately use the stir in the ear and understand it refers to the small bones there).

But I really didn’t understand the portal’s way to get to the last scene with Morton…

I loved Chapter 3. The idea of multiple Victor Neffs was very funny, each one with their personality, and their flaws and their criticism to each other.

Puzzles were far more challenging. I managed to solve them all except the bloody Bloody Mary, but I think that was because I am Spaniard: when we refer to the cocktail we say Bloody Mary, but mentally we don’t have the automatic association Bloody - Blood, so I didn’t think about using real blood as an ingredient. In fact, I knew I needed something red, and tried with the scalpel on the umbrellas or anything red I saw, but of course that wasn’t the solution…

I loved the promotions stuff and all the investigation in general.

And yes, ending was very creepy. I really felt sorry for all those Victor Neffs fallen…

Music in general is not very remarkable, but the main theme is brilliant.

So far the game is great, I really hope the following Chapters are at the same level at least. If so, it will be a great adventure game to be played.

I can’t wait to sneak in our neoighbours dreams haha

Currently translating Strangeland into Spanish. Wish me luck, or send me money to my Paypal haha

Total Posts: 5608

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

Welcome, Sefir!  I’m glad you’ve joined us.

Difficult roads often lead to beautiful destinations.

Total Posts: 2996

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

Lady Kestrel - 08 April 2024 05:18 PM

Welcome, Sefir!  I’m glad you’ve joined us.

Thx! Smile

The moment I started playing the game together with my pregnant wife and we realized the protagonists were also a couple expecting a child was gold.  Grin

I have just finished Chapter 1. It was the only chapter that I have played beforehand, but it was so long ago, that with the exception of the last reveal I didnt really remembered anything. That last reveal did left me with an impression though as I recall. Some things to mention:

1) God, I love claymation. It can add a bit of creepiness, but its style is unmatched. It is a petty only a few games use this technique (The Netherhood and Amikrog are the only ones that come to mind.
2) I like the music thus far. I would find the soundtrack as some point. Thus far it 100% adds to the atmosphere.
3) What I like the most so far is the dialogs. They are extremely realistic and there are conversations and things I could have honestly had with my wife, my landlord, etc. The lack of voice acting does not annoy me thus far, though it is definetely a minus.
4) At some point the game had very GrimFandangoesque vibes. Especially the shot with the landlord sitting at his office window.

I will continue with Chapter 2 shortly. The game is not that difficult thus far and I like it a lot. I will catch you all in no time. Smile

Total Posts: 516

Joined 2005-07-07

PM

I decided to join in on this CPT and reached what I think must be almost the end of chapter 3 last night. Never played the game before despite having owned it for years. I hope to finish the so far fantastic chapter 3 tonight.

Total Posts: 5608

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

I’m happy to see you here, too, Veovis!

Difficult roads often lead to beautiful destinations.

Total Posts: 5053

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I was able to play a little last night. I’ve reached the point where a sailor has gone AWOL and I must find him. I have no idea where this places me in the chapter.

I also noticed a comment by Walas regarding mixing drinks. I only had to make a Martini. Maybe this is one of the random parts of the story. Or, maybe I will need to make more drinks as the chapter progresses.

Anyway, I hope to catch up in the next day or two.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 5838

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

I have now finished Chapter 3.

Sefir - 09 April 2024 02:53 AM

The moment I started playing the game together with my pregnant wife and we realized the protagonists were also a couple expecting a child was gold.  Grin

Hi Sefir, I too am glad you are able to join us & congratulations to you & your wife.

3) What I like the most so far is the dialogs. They are extremely realistic and there are conversations and things I could have honestly had with my wife, my landlord, etc. The lack of voice acting does not annoy me thus far, though it is definetely a minus.

I completely agree with your appraisal of the dialogs. The lack of voice acting doesn’t bother me but I’m sure I’m not the only one to think that no voice-acting is preferable to bad voice-acting?  I did wonder though if the addition of voice-acting would have reflected, in Chapter 3, the different personality types of each Victor?

IronCretin - 05 April 2024 01:44 AM

We just finished Chapter 3. Preeeeeetty creeeeeeepy - mostly the room of dead Victors near the end.

Definitely don’t disagree with you there!!! But I found the whole chapter weird & wacky!

walas74 - 08 April 2024 04:08 PM

I loved Chapter 3. The idea of multiple Victor Neffs was very funny, each one with their personality, and their flaws and their criticism to each other.

You enter into your wife’s dream so do all the Victors you encounter reflect all the different aspects that she perceives in your personality?

IronCretin - 05 April 2024 01:44 AM

Looking forward to the next chapter. We both enjoyed the previous Chapter more, perhaps just lacking some variety in this one.

I myself didn’t mind the lack of variety as I found the puzzles interesting although I had to peek at a walkthrough here & there. I could have kicked myself though for the substitute for tomatoes!

My favourite puzzle was the way to kill the tentacle

rtrooney - 06 April 2024 12:02 PM

…… I nominate Victor for thinking it’s a good thing to secretly observe what his wife is dreaming!

But he did it for a good reason? I did wonder though if he considered that his wife was maybe a complete control freak!

Joined 2016-04-08

PM

rtrooney - 09 April 2024 12:10 PM

I was able to play a little last night. I’ve reached the point where a sailor has gone AWOL and I must find him. I have no idea where this places me in the chapter.

I also noticed a comment by Walas regarding mixing drinks. I only had to make a Martini. Maybe this is one of the random parts of the story. Or, maybe I will need to make more drinks as the chapter progresses.

Anyway, I hope to catch up in the next day or two.

Yeah, sorry, the Bloody Mary comes later, I didn’t think of it as a spoiler, sorry.

Currently translating Strangeland into Spanish. Wish me luck, or send me money to my Paypal haha

Joined 2016-04-08

PM

walas74 - 08 April 2024 04:08 PM

chissie: You enter into your wife’s dream so do all the Victors you encounter reflect all the different aspects that she perceives in your personality?

You are probably right.

Total Posts: 30

Joined 2022-05-10

PM

I’m finally jumping into the mix here (no pun intended!)

Despite having played chapter 1 and most of chapter 2 last year, I had forgotten a lot of the details.  Fortunately the YT walkthroughs have caught me up, and now I’m most of the way through chapter 3.

This episode has quite hit home as I have some experience working on cruise ships…ah, the memories!

I, too, am disappointed that I didn’t think to operate on myself to procure a tomato juice substitute

Now I’m stuck at the supposed final mixology puzzle down in the chute
Perhaps the community could be of assistance here?  Is this allowed within the CPT protocols?  (Apologies if not)

1) I’m assuming that the solution involves poisoning the tentacle by mixing some lethal combination of ingredients and dumping them into the poor Bartender’s mouth
2) It’s interesting that ]most of the Bloody Mary ingredients survived the trip down the chute, but the vermouth did not
3) I have acquired rust and bone fragments and assume these would have to be part of the cocktail
4) It’s the blood and bone fragments the creature would find appealing, right?
5) I have taken note of the individual responses when I try to put singular ingredients in the mouth, but I still can’t seem to connect the dots

It certainly is one of the more unique and interesting titles as far as point-and-click’s go.  I actually had to turn off the music because it was too unsettling, that’s a first.

I’m enjoying reading everyone’s comments and reactions. 

Total Posts: 127

Joined 2023-10-03

PM

Concerning the music did anyone figure out a way to separate the ambiance from the soundtrack, however, I remember that was an option when I played it years ago, I could lower the ambiance vol down and keep the soundtrack on (or vice versa)... but since I am playing a different/newer version now.. this seems inaccessible, maybe someone here can do so with his/her version?

A1

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Keybordz - 09 April 2024 11:01 PM

Now I’m stuck at the supposed final mixology puzzle down in the chute

You’re thinking along the right lines - examine everything in your inventory for a clue

Total Posts: 2996

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

Finished Chapter 2.

I won’t say that I was not expecting this turn of events. When the game is called “The Dream Machine”, the protagonists have strange dreams, the new landlord tells us that this building was used by his grandfather for scientific studies on the field of dreams and we discover a camera in our bedroom....

I like how the first 2 chapters basically introduced us to the main objective (thus far). Now we have a clear goal: Explore the dreams of all residents and destroy the machine. We will see how this goes.

I liked the puzzles in this chapter. The safe puzzle was cleverly unique and the bookcase elevator was also a bit of a classic. The dreamworld’s portals’ order was a bit lacklusture, but I can live with that. I am also curious to see where the secret passage that the gramophone is attached to will lead. I have found something of a code with clockwise/underclockwise instructions that also have some of the safe code puzzle’s symbols but I had not persuaded it further.

I have my wife to save!!! Onwards to Chapter 3 for me!! Smile

Total Posts: 6590

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

I’m in the third chapter. Wow, that second chapter was full of surprises, and some tough puzzles. I managed to find a “bug”, sort of a “dead-end”: Once you follow the portal route, from oldest to youngest head, if you save the game right when you reach father, if you go to the wrong passage, and when you try to load the game you cannot proceed to the right passage anymore. You need to do this procedure without loading the game. I can see it can be misleading to someone who will give up on the idea of oldest to youngest.

Also, I was spending a lot of time for the gramophone puzzle, trying to figure out what triangles in the square means, while it’s irrelevant for the second chapter. (I still haven’t solved the gramophone puzzle).

The third “criticism” is regarding the safe puzzle - there’re 9 screens, but only 6 digits for the safe combination - sure, my first thought was to use the first 6 monitors, but I can see it can also be misleading to someone.

Other than that, it’s one of the best indie or “small team” games I’ve ever played, good atmosphere and some great out of the box puzzles so far (though, I’m still not sure what’s the deal with stirrup, anvil and hammer in the ear?

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

diego - 10 April 2024 11:31 AM

I’m still not sure what’s the deal with stirrup, anvil and hammer in the ear?

They are precisely the English terminology for anatomical parts of the ear. Even for a native English speaker the labelling of the parts you pick up could elude you if you’ve got no idea about the parts of the ear!       Laughing

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top