• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

The Witness (open-world island inspired by Myst)

Total Posts: 990

Joined 2009-05-08

PM

Is there a purpose to the puzzles? Because it sounds like The Witness is a straight up puzzle game with a very elaborate hub world - how does the world building/story stack up?

Total Posts: 1902

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

thejobloshow - 28 January 2016 06:55 PM

Is there a purpose to the puzzles? Because it sounds like The Witness is a straight up puzzle game with a very elaborate hub world - how does the world building/story stack up?

i am 1 hour in, so i cannot comment on the story that has not yet unfolded… but so far it is puzzle on top of puzzle on top of puzzle, and im having some trouble staying interested. There are some sound clips.. but eh.. so far…

Total Posts: 89

Joined 2005-12-19

PM

After playing for a couple of hours as well, The Witness seems to me like a game that would appeal to the kind of people who buy books full of sudoku puzzles and sit there for hours solving them. To me, it’s just tiring.

The sound clips I’ve heard so far deal with intriguing and challenging topics, but delivered as quotes from centuries old scriptures ripped out of context. Compared with Journey, for instance, this feels contrived and out of place, borrowing instead of finding its own voice. It doesn’t seem like there’s an organic connection between what you see, hear, and do (apart from deriving clues from the world to solve even more mazes).

Again, those are just my thoughts after a few hours of playing. I’d love to hear someone tell me that this changes as the game goes on—because the world is gorgeous and I’d love to see it as more than just an elaborate art installation.

...the puzzles are great though.

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

I’m going to wait until it’s cheaper. I will say though, you knew what you were getting from the first screenshots. It was always going to be a series of same-ish puzzles in an open environment. So the comments don’t surprise me, and I don’t have any sympathy for anyone complaining about the lack of variety in the puzzles. Fortunately I happen to like that type of game, but not enough to pay $40USD.

Total Posts: 1902

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

Oscar - 29 January 2016 06:21 AM

I’m going to wait until it’s cheaper. I will say though, you knew what you were getting from the first screenshots. It was always going to be a series of same-ish puzzles in an open environment. So the comments don’t surprise me, and I don’t have any sympathy for anyone complaining about the lack of variety in the puzzles. Fortunately I happen to like that type of game, but not enough to pay $40USD.

Im a few hours in now and i can say the game definitely does not lack in puzzle variety. Even if it initially just seems like line puzzle after line puzzle, theres many types and theyr integrated into the environment in a way that keeps you thinking. Unlike the talos principle for example which is mostly very structured level driven, the exploration here is cohesive and vast. Also unlike talos though, i have yet to encounter a clear narrative and i suspect there may not be one until near the end if at all.

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Another proof of pc piracy

http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=1177154

Well i hope he covers 6 millions at this rate.

Total Posts: 2704

Joined 2004-08-02

PM

nomadsoul - 29 January 2016 01:03 PM

Another proof of pc piracy

http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=1177154

Well i hope he covers 6 millions at this rate.

This really blows (excuse the bad pun). Seriously, the guy poured all the money he got from Braid and then some, and six or so years of his life into this game. He deserves better than pirating it.

Total Posts: 259

Joined 2004-03-09

PM

It’s nothing short of a crime how The Witness is being unfairly judged. People seemed to be expecting another Myst which is anything but. I wouldn’t call it an adventure game even, at least not in the sense we expect one to be. I wouldn’t call it a straight puzzle game either. If you think The Witness is “just” about the puzzles you truly have no clue. I’m reading comments on Steam accusing the game of not having context and being disconnected, and I can’t believe it. How can they not see it?

My friend Daniel Benmergui (developer of the upcoming Ernesto) had been bugging me for years about this game but I dismissed his claims since he’s always too enthusiastic about Jon Blow. I was fortunate to see an early alpha of the game and instantly thought the same as many of you: “this is too repetitive”, “will become quickly boring”, “another Myst clone”, etc.

When Brian Moriarty, who visited us in Buenos Aires last year, claimed that The Witness was the best designed game ever, I thought he was way overreacting. He also said it’s become his favorite game.

What I can tell you after 20+ hours of introspective gameplay without previous knowledge or any sort of hints, is that The Witness is categorically a stroke of genius. If you quit this game and dismiss it as a simple puzzler, you have no idea what you’re missing. If I had to describe this game in one word, I would say it’s a conversation. You need to hear what it’s telling you. It might well be the most rewarding game ever — and I’m still halfway through it.

Those of you wondering if things do change: there’s at least one revelation that will completely change the way you think about The Witness. I really hope it gets better reviewed when players invest more time into it.

Senscape // Founder // Designer | Working on: Asylum | Twitter: @AgustinCordes

Total Posts: 6595

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Agustín Cordes - 29 January 2016 01:47 PM

Those of you wondering if things do change: there’s at least one revelation that will completely change the way you think about The Witness. I really hope it gets better reviewed when players invest more time into it.

I expected that, I and have trust in your “game design” evaluation, but don’t forget (and I said the exact same thing when playing The Wolf Among Us) - the authors can NOT count on the BIG REVELATION at the end, to retrospectively change the player’s opinion on the previous parts. Even some “It was all a dream” games like TWW are good until the end because the “every moment” felt interesting REGARDLESS of whether it’s all a dream or not! I personally didn’t expect Myst, and I see nothing wrong in calling The Witness an adventure game (because it is), but the fact that the puzzle repetition is extremely accented is simply a nuisance to some players.

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Good review for those who wants to know

I dont know about steam but GT to Gamespot praising it
Yes its line puzzles but they evolve and all set in beautiful landscape

Joined 2004-03-09

PM

diego - 29 January 2016 02:00 PM
Agustín Cordes - 29 January 2016 01:47 PM

I expected that, I and have trust in your “game design” evaluation, but don’t forget (and I said the exact same thing when playing The Wolf Among Us) - the authors can NOT count on the BIG REVELATION at the end, to retrospectively change the player’s opinion on the previous parts. Even some “It was all a dream” games like TWW are good until the end because the “every moment” felt interesting REGARDLESS of whether it’s all a dream or not! I personally didn’t expect Myst, and I see nothing wrong in calling The Witness an adventure game (because it is), but the fact that the puzzle repetition is extremely accented is simply a nuisance to some players.

No, it’s nothing like that. There’s no “twist” to speak of and I can’t say more. There’s no way you can form a proper opinion of this game until you’ve played it for (at the very least) 10 hours. Is it a lot to ask of players? Maybe. But until you reach that point, you really, really, really have no idea. Trust me. Nothing compares to it. The fact that you’re thinking of The Witness in terms of “adventure game with repetitive puzzles” proves that you’re missing the point.

Fact: the puzzles are not repetitive. They just aren’t! Forget anything you’ve seen or heard about the game. I don’t want to be condescending but you truly need to experience it by yourself.

Total Posts: 2582

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

Agustín, do you have an interest in sinking Jonathan Blow? Because, if so, you’re doing a wonderful job of it. I was this close to giving the game another chance instead of getting a refund, but that douchey, obnoxious post of yours is so, so, so close to convincing me not to do that. Congratulations, I guess?

Joined 2004-03-09

PM

Kurufinwe - 29 January 2016 02:36 PM

Agustín, do you have an interest in sinking Jonathan Blow? Because, if so, you’re doing a wonderful job of it. I was this close to giving the game another chance instead of getting a refund, but that douchey, obnoxious post of yours is so, so, so close to convincing me not to do that. Congratulations, I guess?

No, not really, but thank you for the gratuitous aggression!

Total Posts: 457

Joined 2006-11-20

PM

I may have missed something earlier in this thread, but will this not run correctly (or at all) on Vista (Home Premium 64 bit)? I see the minimum requirements are Windows 7, and I’m not real interested in “upgrading” to another OS just to play this game….

Life is too short to drink bad wine…

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

What the hell, Kuru? That was totally uncalled for!
Agustín is just defending the game, telling people to give it a proper chance. Why the outburst?

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top