• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Jdawg445

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

What game are you playing right now?

Total Posts: 88

Joined 2023-04-17

PM

Three Minutes To Eight

Annoying voice acting, terribly written and fake pixel art. I don’t care about the rest. Terminated with pleasure.

The Great Perhaps

Somehow similar to The Cave or Creaks. No great puzzles and I’m dying quite a bit, almost like Dragon’s Lair, but I enjoy the game. Nice mood, sound and graphics (high res). I wanna see what comes next. Good one.

Total Posts: 6595

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Agatha Christie: Murder on the Orient Express 2023

They made Poirot look like a macho Tom Selleck type of guy. You can’t skip the line of a dialogue, and Poirot is too much of a gentleman to run in a 3D world, so right now I’m contemplating whether to continue or not, but being a big Agatha Christie and Poirot fan I will probably skim through it. There’s some good deduction and detective puzzles, but the navigation and controls are PITA.

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Joined 2023-04-17

PM

Dude, Where Is My Beer?

Finally. It sounds and looks good, but the puzzles are no fun, the interface feels tedious and the writing is ‘mostly harmless’. Overall: too much work with a lack of life and wonder.

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

I was just wondering, how many games you play at once?

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Joined 2023-04-17

PM

Within the last days: One adventure a time. After one is finished (or canceled), I start a new one. I might return to a game in case I want to replay a scene, reveal further secrets (Rusty Lake) or draw comparisons. During an adventure I sometimes play small games in order to relax and think about a puzzle I need to solve. I had no time for and interest in adventures for a while, so, there are a few.

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Thanks, keep up the good work!

Joined 2023-04-17

PM

Thanks. I had no intention to crunch, but the adventures were really fun and I had the time.

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

I’m similar like you, I like to play 2 adventures at a time, but that are different in terms of general atmosphere, gameplay etc. And some other genre also, just so I can recuperate and reset my thoughts after a hard time of solving puzzles.

Joined 2023-04-17

PM

Escape from Castle Claymount

Some nice puzzles, one can be interpreted in different ways, at the end it feels a little rushed, I like the usage of the cartographic memory. Sweet joyride.

Superfluous Returnz

It seems quite easy and short, could be more fluid here and there, some neat graphics (everything could be detailed) and mood. A little fun experience.

Joined 2023-04-17

PM

Crowns and Pawns

Overall, despite some flaws (the end, interface, some awkward puzzles) it’s a short, enjoyable experience. Some funny moments and a nice presentation.

Joined 2023-04-17

PM

ring around the world

genre: obscure adventure; male, single; flying albatross; hi-toro; 7!-7⁴-$222-o11-robotron+2023; cd, hd, floppy; simple, fun.

Joined 2023-04-17

PM

The 7th Guest

The Original. I tried to, but it’s too slow, cumbersome and unappealing. Quite horrible. Reminds me of others like Riven, Gabriel Knight etc. and how outdated the top 100 is. It serves more as a contemporary document than as up-to-date information and help.

Total Posts: 2082

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

jsfx - 19 January 2024 05:34 AM

The 7th Guest

The Original. I tried to, but it’s too slow, cumbersome and unappealing. Quite horrible. Reminds me of others like Riven, Gabriel Knight etc. and how outdated the top 100 is. It serves more as a contemporary document than as up-to-date information and help.

Why would you expect an up-to-date reference guide from a 10 y. o. list created to commemorate 30 years of graphic adventure gaming? There are annual Aggie Awards if you are looking for modern high-rated adventures. And while I’m also not a fan of The 7th Guest (wouldn’t even call it an adventure game), Riven and the Gabriel Knight series are ageless classics that should’ve been studied in colleges by all modern developers and wannabes.

PC means personal computer

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Reminds me of others like Riven, Gabriel Knight etc. and how outdated the top 100 is.

7th Guest is 1-st person logic puzzle game, nothing even remotely similar to Gabriel Knight 2 (I guess you think of that one which is #3 on the list) which is full FMV story-heavy and inventory/dialogue puzzle 3rd-person game. And it’s even less similar to GK1. While GK2 might be outdated in terms of graphics (I still think it looks nice, with some cheesy but game-wise passable acting), Riven is still beautiful and makes 99% of modern games look like children drawings.

It serves more as a contemporary document than as up-to-date information and help.

Nope, it’s exactly what it is - Top 100 games of all time - unless you think Beatles don’t deserve to be in Top 100 bands of all time because they’re outdated.

p.s. jsfx can I take a guess, you’re very young, aren’t you?

Total Posts: 860

Joined 2017-12-19

PM

Doom - 19 January 2024 07:45 AM

Why would you expect an up-to-date reference guide from a 10 y. o. list created to commemorate 30 years of graphic adventure gaming?

That list has nothing to do with graphics, it’s top adventures, including text-only games.

Obviously the list is very flawed, as evidenced by “#50 – Infocom text adventures” which lumps together ALL text adventures by one developer.

In any case, a couple of years ago there was an attempt to create a new list on these forums that had more recent games in it. The end result was predictable, the older games “won” anyway.

I have sometimes suggested, here and elsewhere, a mathematical scoring system, which tries to counteract the nostalgia factor by giving more recent games more points to give them a chance to be in the top places.

I think it could be an interesting effort to try a voting like that. But if it’s the normal kind of voting with just few new games in it, then it’s The Secret of Monkey Island, Broken Sword, and Grim Fandango all over again, with some random votes from the Myst camp.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top