• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Broken Sword 5

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

SEGA - 08 December 2013 03:08 AM

I have mixed feelings about this.

Me too, for reasons explained in a previous post.

There are two stories here,

1. A painting being stolen that was done by the same person who owned it. why?
2. The ‘evil’ image and information the painting possesses to summon the devil. Will it be achieved?

I believe the first “story” is pretty well and fully explained in the first part of the game: Medovsky got an offer to buy the painting, but got greedy and wants both the money for selling the painting and the insurance money. So it is basically an insurance scam.

Regarding the second “story” then that is not how I interpret it at all!
The painting points to an important gnostic artefact, and the gnostics has a different view of Lucifer (and Judas Iscariot and Mary Magdalene) than the official church, and are therefore considered evil. But I can’t recall any reference to summoning the Devil in the game.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 2582

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

Well, that was good. It does feel like half a game (which it is), and the world felt a bit small with a lot of going back and forth between the same locations (but what can you expect for less than $1m?). I wonder if I wouldn’t have been better off waiting until the whole thing was released. Still, what was there was good.

They definitely went back to the roots of the series, with a mixture of conspiracy theory (but no Templars!) and a weird, wacky world (which had been toned down a lot in BS3 and 4). I particularly enjoyed George being able to show all the ridiculous stuff in his inventory (including a half-eaten biscuit and a cockroach-in-a-box) to everyone – it’s not really Broken Sword without it.

And it pleased me immensely that George and Nico’s ringtones were music from the BASS soundtrack. Grin

So I guess I’m looking forward to part 2 and delving more into the historical conspiracy part of the story.

Total Posts: 5

Joined 2013-12-08

PM

Iznogood - 08 December 2013 01:50 PM

I have mixed feelings about this.

I believe the first “story” is pretty well and fully explained in the first part of the game: Medovsky got an offer to buy the painting, but got greedy and wants both the money for selling the painting and the insurance money. So it is basically an insurance scam.

Regarding the second “story” then that is not how I interpret it at all!
The painting points to an important gnostic artefact, and the gnostics has a different view of Lucifer (and Judas Iscariot and Mary Magdalene) than the official church, and are therefore considered evil. But I can’t recall any reference to summoning the Devil in the game.

Regardless if the stolen painting was solved in the first part, i am referring to it’s story as a complete game straight from the get go.

Right before Simeon gets shot he states George must get to the painting and stop to summon the ‘devil’.
Whether or not this happens we can only find out next month and further understand it’s significance.

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

SEGA - 08 December 2013 02:08 PM

Right before Simeon gets shot he states George must get to the painting and stop to summon the ‘devil’.
Whether or not this happens we can only find out next month and further understand it’s significance.

As I said “I don’t recall..” Wink I guess those words by Simeon slipped past me. Anyway I hope they don’t reduce the whole gnostic part to a case of summoning the Devil or not.

Joined 2013-12-08

PM

Have they announced the date for the 2nd release?

Total Posts: 187

Joined 2013-11-12

PM

It should release on Jan. 31 (according to GOG.com)

“Rationality, that was it. No esoteric mumbo jumbo could fool that fellow. Lord, no! His two feet were planted solidly on God’s good earth” - Ellery Queen, The Lamp of God

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

I don’t think that that date is cut in stone, they will probably only announce the exact date when it is close to being released.

Total Posts: 189

Joined 2010-06-26

PM

So sad, Broken Sword 5 part 1 bored me to tears Frown Naff. Lacklustre. Meh. There I said it.

The story just didn’t seem to interest me. A lot of the time I didn’t care to find the answers. Is the story really that interesting though? In the first three games you are set up in quite exciting introductions to each game. The clown assassin was creepy and it was an intriguing scenario, I know that I really wanted to find out who the clown was! Same with the second game, Nico is kidnapped and it’s a bit more personal. In the third game Nico is again framed for a murder. They are just more exciting intros to start a game from. They made me want to continue and look for the answers as they made me more curious. The tone also felt a little more darker/disturbing.

This new game however. Random art guy gets shot by rubbish, non scary man. Not a clown, no scary/intimidating/menacing killers. A biker/pizza guy. Yawn. None of these people i care about.

Another problem I had was that in all of these new modern adventure games, the game designers have recently been able to create brilliant atmosphere to a game. Black Mirror 2/3, Broken Age, STASIS. Loads more but these games in particular have great atmospheres. In the first scene at the game at the art shop there is an example of different layers in the background and when you move around, the background layers move too.

Now i’m pretty sure when KS backers got updated about the game visuals, one of the things they talked about what this background layer thing. It looks great…. but they use it once. In that first scene. Why?!

As boring as the story was it made it worse walking through static, lifeless areas. Why no animations? or just simple atmosphere effects…. rubbish. Runaway 2 did it pretty nicely I think.

Did nobody else have any issues with these problems or am I the only one?

It pains me to stay but I give this game 5/10 Meh

Hope part 2 picks up the pace a bit.

Joined 2013-12-08

PM

After finishing it again, it’s one of the most stripped-down adventure game i’ve ever played.

Cannot believe all locations are so…...empty….outside Bijou’s apartment, you can only select the buzzer and the door to interact.
The mall…...is so empty???
Medovsky’s home…..speak with Shears and you’re instantly granted access into his home.

Easiest adventure game to date.

Very bad decision making this a 2 part game, since going back dissecting part 1 really didn’t dissect nothing….almost a beta game feel.

I do not see this game picking up in locations, interactions, characters, and the story.
Even if it delivers, part 1 has left me with a horrible experience making it so short with the cliffhanger ending.

Can only hope something magical happens that really ties and picks up the first part nicely and goes out with a huge bang!

Total Posts: 1089

Joined 2003-09-30

PM

Yes beta feeling all over the place,why rushed in,are they suppose to expect paying us for BS 6 now?

“Going on means going far - Going far means returning”

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

No you guys should now prepare to pay for BASS2, and a little more than
before, around 3 million to have some expectations delivered.

Joined 2013-12-08

PM

The cost used in this game shouldn’t be used as a defense mechanism to warrant a great game. If we did, how do we review the game when completely released?

Charles Cecil announced they had meet the donations and far exceeded their limit.

Furthermore people shouldn’t read peoples posts as facts, they’re are all opinions like mine on how we feel about the game.

Some, including myself, might be read as vocal posts, but we’re all die hard Broken Sword fans that speak from love for this series.

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

The condition PnC Adv games are in nowadays, BS5 is blessing in disguise.

I said earlier and had argument, that BS5 cannot be BS1 its impossible.
So i wasnt expecting too much. Its still first half, and how time flew by
i didnt notice. Its hard to recycle same feelings ,without setting series fatigue.
Cecil did good job. There so many different expectations from the series,
after ep1, some are really happy some are really pissed.

Its not as good as BS1 for sure, its not as bad as BS3/4 either.

Now that we have played it, we can only improve upon this, by pushing the team further
for future releases.

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

Gabe - 10 December 2013 01:12 AM

Yes beta feeling all over the place?

This is true. I liked the game a lot myself, a lot more than many other AG’s I’ve played this year, but the game definetly feels beta and I think it still pretty much is one. I think the final reviews of it should be held until the part 2 is released.

Total Posts: 532

Joined 2009-06-07

PM

I’m starting to get annoyed by the fact there’s still no review up for this game here. I kinda expected that to happen the first day after release. There’s probably a very good reason for the delay but I am starting to get very anxious te read what the offical AG verdict is.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top