• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

The Walking Dead

Total Posts: 278

Joined 2008-07-11

PM

Iznogood - 25 November 2012 07:23 PM

...i became very disappointed, with the one thing that i initially believed was good in this game, the decisions you had to make. Once i realised that they didn’t actually matter, then i felt it excatly like i was watching a movie, and not playing a game.

I thought my decisions had fairly realistic consequences—nothing felt badly compromised or cheap to me. Maybe it would have if I knew all of the possible outcomes, but I think trying to explore all of the paths before you’ve completed the whole series once through is just ruining it for yourself.

I don’t see games like The Walking Dead, Mass Effect, Heavy Rain etc. as a chance to exhaust every possible narrative thread—it’s cool that people want to replay them over and over, but that’s just a bonus. For me, the choices are just a chance to make a more personal story.

The fact that there are other options shouldn’t detract from the story you experienced.

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

orient - 26 November 2012 12:24 AM

...i became very disappointed, with the one thing that i initially believed was good in this game, the decisions you had to make. Once i realised that they didn’t actually matter, then i felt it excatly like i was watching a movie, and not playing a game.

I thought my decisions had fairly realistic consequences—nothing felt badly compromised or cheap to me. Maybe it would have if I knew all of the possible outcomes, but I think trying to explore all of the paths before you’ve completed the whole series once through is just ruining it for yourself.
The fact that there are other options shouldn’t detract from the story you experienced.

Let me just clarify: I didn’t replay, dissect or explore all possible paths, before i had completed the whole game. I played it normally like everybody else.
It just became so bloody obvious that your decisions only had a minor and temporary effect.

And if i can’t criticize a game, when i feel that one of the major components aren’t working properly, then when should i criticize?

Sure the overall story and the voice acting isn’t bad, in fact imo it is the only good thing about TWD, but if story was all i wanted, i could just as well watch a movie or read a book.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 278

Joined 2008-07-11

PM

Let me just clarify: I didn’t replay, dissect or explore all possible paths, before i had completed the whole game. I played it normally like everybody else.

Sorry, I wasn’t assuming you did—I was just saying that I don’t agree with that style of play.

It just became so bloody obvious that your decisions only had a minor and temporary effect.

I didn’t feel that way. In a game where you have to choose *spoilers* whether to save one person or another, leaving a major character by the side of the road and chopping your own arm off, I felt the consequences were pretty much in line with the choices I made.

Of course you can critise the game. Personally, though, I’d rather play The Walking Dead game than watch the TV show because the characters are better in the game. The medium is irrelevant to me.

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

orient - 26 November 2012 11:58 PM

I didn’t feel that way. In a game where you have to choose *spoilers* whether to save one person or another, leaving a major character by the side of the road and chopping your own arm off, I felt the consequences were pretty much in line with the choices I made.

In all fairness, then your actions does have some influence, i just became disappointed when i realised that i couldn’t influence the game in any major ways.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top