• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Community Playthrough #75: The Neverhood

Total Posts: 7446

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

zobraks - 28 October 2022 04:44 AM

Life can be so cruel.

Laughing

While we’re biding our time (yoohoo Veovis! over here!), I recommend watching The Making of The Neverhood on youtube. No real spoilers, only a few snippets from the beginning of the game. I read that it’s supposed to be included on the official disk, but not on my version. Maybe a later edition or the Skull Monkeys disk, does anybody know?

And look what I found! A relic from my collector’s days. Cool I’ll pin it to the wall again for the duration of this CPT.

Greetings from The Neverhood. Wish you were here.

Butter my buns and call me a biscuit! - Agent A

Total Posts: 1263

Joined 2016-04-08

PM

Really, an awesome work of art.

Currently translating Strangeland into Spanish. Wish me luck, or send me money to my Paypal haha

Total Posts: 4257

Joined 2005-04-14

PM

I wish I had a bitcoin for every time I recommended The Neverhood to a fellow adventure gamer.

I can’t believe I’ve played it only once before (stupid me). Seventeen years ago! Pan

Karlok, one of these days I’m going to climb into your room and steal that poster. I envy you so much.

Everybody wants to be Cary Grant.
Even Me.

-Cary Grant

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Heh, it’s not a poster. Sorry if that was unclear. It’s a real-size pic of a postcard. On the back it says:

Greetings from the Neverhood. Wish you were here.
Maybe then you would be able to help me, Klaymen, to solve more than 60 puzzles in order to succeed in the twisted clay-animated world of Neverhood. You’ll help me avoid pitfalls, collect clues, and kick a little clay butt. All to beat the evil Klogg and bring the Neverhood back to normal. At least, as normal as it ever gets.

That’s almost the same text as in a well-known Neverhood ad, which I’m sure most people will have seen. I have that one too. Somewhere. But my postcard is rare. Cool Yeah, the collector in me is not really dead yet.

https://www.reddit.com/r/retrogaming/comments/eno4hs/classic_neverhood_ad/

Joined 2005-04-14

PM

The playthrough didn’t even start and I already love it. Smile

Even Me.

-Cary Grant

Total Posts: 2071

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

Nice! And I always wanted a toy Klaymen or Willie, those characters were destined to become popular mascots, but alas it seems like low sales left everyone without a toy Klaymen. Well, everyone except for the lucky Japanese gamers again who got these promotional keychain figures Heart Eyes

PC means personal computer

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Quote of the Day: Bad is always where you forget to look. (Willie Trombone)

Let’s go, people!
The weekend is the perfect time to start playing and it’s a short first section, so anybody late to the party will have time to catch up.
Stop when you’ve solved this puzzle, which will open up a new area.

Make sure you explore everything thoroughly. A little bit of walking is good for you. Tongue

PS: I want one of those keychains.  Heart

Joined 2005-04-14

PM

I’m already traipsing along The Hall of Records.
It’s not tedious for me, I like stories, nonsensical ones included.

Btw, I’m surprised by the easiness of my progress in the game (despite scarcely remembering anything from playing it 17 years ago). I think it took me ages to come out of the building in which we meet Klaymen on that occasion.

Even Me.

-Cary Grant

Total Posts: 524

Joined 2022-02-22

PM

I’m up and running. Game runs great on ScummVM. In fact it looks better than a lot of the newer games I’ve played this year!

AKA Charo

Total Posts: 183

Joined 2021-03-21

PM

Played for an hour. The game doesnt really explain what you have to do to solve the puzzles. You need to be observative and experiment with clicking everything. Not sure how i feel about the game yet. The slow walking is annoying and navigation and turning around is slow. I have managed to turn the 2 out of 3 locks needed to progress. Now need to solve a sound puzzle, which i ll proabably do with some practice.

What i liked so far is the art style of the game and animations.

Total Posts: 5599

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

Woo-hoo!  My game arrived in the mail a few minutes ago, so I’ll install it and start playing tonight.

“Rainy days should be spent at home with a cup of tea and a good book.” -Bill Watterson

Total Posts: 183

Joined 2021-03-21

PM

I opened all 3 locks and finished this part. Puzzles are a lot harder than i thought when started it. Hardest puzzle for this section would be the sound puzzle especially if you have problem with recognizing tones. But my problem was after this puzzle. I was stuck for an hour with no idea what i should be doing. Actually managed to progress just by luck trying diferent things. The in game hint system didnt help at all so far.

The game is pretty charming and makes you wanna progress just to see whats next. Music and graphics are great, cut scenes are great. For me puzzles are the weakness so far. I imagine this gets harder.

Total Posts: 513

Joined 2005-07-07

PM

Karlok - 28 October 2022 05:37 AM

While we’re biding our time (yoohoo Veovis! over here!)

Sorry, life and work came in the way. I’ll be on board starting tomorrow, Central European Time!

Since I relatively recently put the necessary files from the CD in the ScummVM folder and played for a while I should be ready to go. And yes, I own a legit copy of The Neverhood. Got it through Game Trading Zone a billion years ago. High time to play it!

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Nico2021 - 29 October 2022 12:23 PM

The slow walking is annoying and navigation and turning around is slow.

You mean the sliding and turning around outside in 1st-person? You can skip the node-to-node movement by hitting the spacebar.

Nico2021 - 29 October 2022 05:10 PM

I opened all 3 locks and finished this part. Puzzles are a lot harder than i thought when started it. Hardest puzzle for this section would be the sound puzzle especially if you have problem with recognizing tones. But my problem was after this puzzle. I was stuck for an hour with no idea what i should be doing. Actually managed to progress just by luck trying diferent things. The in game hint system didnt help at all so far.

I was stuck at the same point in the game for a couple of minutes and then it came back to me. Whenever I think of the Neverhood I always remember the many great aspects and the fun, easy puzzles, and forget about the hard and/or bad ones. I predict that every player who is new to the Neverhood will get stuck here. Don’t feel bad if you don’t want to wander around for an hour, just ask for a hint. But I bet your perseverance and frustration taught you a valuable lesson: This game has a mean streak!  Embarassed

@Veovis: Yes, real life has a nasty habit of interfering with the really important business of playing games. Wink

Total Posts: 5837

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

After playing for a few hours here & there over the last few days I finally solved the necessary puzzle to open up the new area!

A mistake I made was not to look at that puzzle more closely when I came across it to start with as it would have made it more obvious when I came across the triggers to release the bolts & I liked that the button corresponding to the released bolt when activated matched the one you had to press.

The exploration, despite that purpose initially absent for me, was interesting enough though.

Nico2021 - 29 October 2022 12:23 PM

…. The game doesnt really explain what you have to do to solve the puzzles. You need to be observative and experiment with clicking.

I’m not sure that in this first part of the game that an explanation is really needed? For the most part I found the puzzles very intuitive & easy after experimenting with clicking……. but I guess how you find them does depend on puzzles that you’ve experienced in the past within games or otherwise.

I agree that the sound puzzle is the hardest but I missed that I had an inventory item that could collect water from the fountain on the left (after clicking on it) .. then it became obvious what to do with the challenge being to match the sound with the right amount of water

The puzzle that I loved the most after the one to keep the door open in Klayman’s home was creating the TNT man! I had an inkling that I either had to either get a flame or remove them from all of the shapes but I didn’t have a clue what I was aiming at until I backed out of the puzzle to see…….

Later on, I did find Willie’s hints helpful but I think this feature’s reliability probably varies depending on what order you do things in?

Nico2021 - 29 October 2022 05:10 PM

The game is pretty charming and makes you wanna progress just to see whats next. Music and graphics are great, cut scenes are great.

Yes!

Karlok - 30 October 2022 06:59 AM

…….I always remember the many great aspects and the fun, easy puzzles………….

Yes, that’s my experience so far! Do the puzzles get harder?

Karlok - 30 October 2022 06:59 AM

This game has a mean streak!

Definitively!

zobraks - 29 October 2022 03:41 AM

I’m already traipsing along The Hall of Records

It’s not tedious for me, I like stories, nonsensical ones included.

I don’t mind non-sensical in small doses….. Did you really read every word zobraks?

I read about 5 screens worth before giving up & trudging along the seemingly never-ending corridor & back & wish I’d known about the option to avoid the tedium at that point by accessing ‘Game Options’……..  So perhaps not so mean after all?

The video of the making of the game was interesting.  Although the size of the character models was larger than I imagined I was totally taken aback by the size of the settings!

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top