• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

rtrooney

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Community Playthrough #75: The Neverhood

Total Posts: 7446

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Welcome to the community playthrough of The Neverhood. I hope everybody has fun playing this unique claymation point-and-click adventure by Doug TenNapel and his team, published in 1996. I am excited to replay one of my alltime favorites, it’s been a long time.

What do you need to know?
The game is not available on Steam or GOG unfortunately.
It works fine in ScummVM. It also works with the compatibility set to win95.
The wonderful soundtrack is by Terry Scott Taylor.
Our protagonist is called Klaymen.
Klaymen will store any object you pick up.
If you click on something in the environment that needs an object in Klaymen’s inventory, he will use it automatically.
You can skip cut scenes with the space bar. Also speeds up walking outside in 1st-person.
Pay close attention to sounds, colors, symbols.
Pressing buttons may do something somewhere else. (I know… makes life complicated.)
Hints are available in one specific location in the game. Or ask your fellow participants.

Did I forget anything? Yes! Willie’s wise words.

“Hello. Me Willie. Me Willie Trombone. You read this, you do good. Willie happy. 
You play Neverhood you do more good. And look out for bad. 
Willie knows, bad is always where you forget to look.”

Please post here when you have the game installed and are ready to start.

Butter my buns and call me a biscuit! - Agent A

Total Posts: 5599

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

My game has shipped and should arrive in a couple of days.  I’m looking forward to playing this one.

“Rainy days should be spent at home with a cup of tea and a good book.” -Bill Watterson

Total Posts: 4257

Joined 2005-04-14

PM

You’re in for a big treat.

Everybody wants to be Cary Grant.
Even Me.

-Cary Grant

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Even more so if we have the pleasure of your company. At the very least, promise to drop by and treat us to your comments.  Cool

Total Posts: 1263

Joined 2016-04-08

PM

Hi!

Game installed and working fine. Any recommendations for ScummVM config?

Currently translating Strangeland into Spanish. Wish me luck, or send me money to my Paypal haha

Total Posts: 2071

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

I also installed the game, watched the highly entertaining, but completely uninformative intro and woke up Klaymen. Ready to go. BTW something I was reminded of while not playing (and something I completely forgot about): be sure to leave Klaymen alone for 30 seconds or so for some amusing animations.

PC means personal computer

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

walas74 - 27 October 2022 10:43 AM

Hi!

Game installed and working fine. Any recommendations for ScummVM config?

Default settings for me, so I have no recommendations. But I did check the original save/load screen option. I advise against skipping the Hall of Records scenes, that would be like cheating. They’re an integral part of the game.

Joined 2005-04-14

PM

Karlok - 27 October 2022 08:32 AM

At the very least, promise to drop by and treat us to your comments.  Cool

I promise I will drop a line or two from the balcony (like Statler, or Waldorf - as I usually do) every now and then.
I’m finishing another game as we speak and after that I’ll try to install The Neverhood in ScummVM.

Edit: It works!

Even Me.

-Cary Grant

Joined 2005-04-14

PM

I even found a notebook with notes and sketches from the first time I played The Neverhood:

Even Me.

-Cary Grant

Total Posts: 5837

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

As already stated on another thread I have come across a copy of the game. So far there’s been no problem with installation & it seems to work okay so I’m very keen & ready to join the playthrough.  Smile

Total Posts: 183

Joined 2021-03-21

PM

I also have installed the game on scummvm. I had to extract the files from the iso to make it work and be recognized by scummvm. I played for 10 min and tried some puzzles. I allready love the music.

Total Posts: 2071

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

I’ll make a copy-paste from the CPT thread:

I actually tried searching for a Neverhood copy at our local Ebay analogue, and the only versions I came across were Japanese Playstation cartridges I meant CDs)) I didn’t even know it was ported to PS, probably to accompany the Skullmonkeys sequel. And it seems like it even retained point-n-click controls, but it was still a bit different from the PC version: it had a main menu, a sort of intro (a greeting letter to Klaymen from Klogg that pretty much spoils the whole plot), a tutorial, long loading screens and no Hall of Records which was completely cut out (for space restrictions I guess). Not the best version to experience. Either way, I don’t own a PS and I don’t speak Japanese Smile

PC means personal computer

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Three new participants, that’s a nice surprise. Glad you’re joining us, Chrissie! Welcome Nico and Zobraks. We are all dying to start but let’s wait one more day for Charo and Veovis. Time to clock in, guys! I hope LadyKestrel’s copy will have arrived by then.

Total Posts: 524

Joined 2022-02-22

PM

I don’t have a copy of the game and I don’t know what to do Frown

AKA Charo

Joined 2005-04-14

PM

Life can be so cruel.

Even Me.

-Cary Grant

Total Posts: 1263

Joined 2016-04-08

PM

Charophycean - 27 October 2022 07:50 PM

I don’t have a copy of the game and I don’t know what to do Frown

The Devil is tempting you via PM Tongue

Currently translating Strangeland into Spanish. Wish me luck, or send me money to my Paypal haha

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top