• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Jdawg445Lady Kestrel

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Still Life 2

Total Posts: 5837

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

I thought I’d give this game its own thread for anyone who’s tempted to play it (or already has) & give their impressions/discuss it.

On just concluding the very enjoyable playthrough of Still Life which I first played in 2005 I thought I’d immediately play Still Life 2 which along with SL I’d bought at the same time very cheaply from GOG way back!

This 2nd game, on originally playing it 4 years later in 2009, I know I approached as being separate from the 1st as I’d forgotten many of the details despite an effort to recap some of those at the beginning. I know at the time that I abandoned the game sometime towards the end……the only reason I can think of at the time is that I got fed up with it but at the time it wasn’t a thing for me to leave a game unfinished so I went back to conclude it later.

This time around, for me, Still Life 2 started off as far more interesting with memories of the 1st still fresh & the story seemingly a continuation of where Still Life left off in 2005 with no conclusion as to the identity of the killer & whether he’d survived.

This sequel, apparently made by a different development team to that of Post Mortem & Still Life, however is a separate story set in Maine 3 years later after the events in 2005.
The developers through some clever integration of Victoria’s investigation in 2005 into the present game reveals the killer to be Richard Valdez, who turns out to be the grandson of Ackerman I’m not sure how well that works within the story of Still Life 1? 

I found the story quite gripping to start with but the gameplay increasingly frustrating following Victoria’s arrival & investigation at the house which for me spoilt the flow of the game which then seemed to drag on.
Later for me the plot became too bizarre…..3 killers! although it’s possible that only one was responsible for the series of East Coast murders?

The most frustrating parts of the game for me included the inventory management system which became increasingly annoying on trying to remember which storage area you had to leave stuff in due to Victoria only having limited space for items & having to constantly backtrack to pick up something you needed.
Later on, for me, there were too many timed parts leading to death on failing. I found them easy enough when knowing what to do but failing meant having to go back to a previous save. This along with the inventory problem spoiled the immersion for me.
Also, when Victoria arrives, she has a forensic kit & you can’t progress until you’ve found everything you need to test so pixel hunting is required!

I thought some of the voice-acting was superb, especially the female sheriff, but totally unforgivable is that it sounded like they’d used the voice-actor for Paloma to comment at times when Victoria’s voice should have been heard e.g., when using an inventory item wrongly.

I found it enjoyable up until about the last quarter of the game but then found the gameplay increasingly convoluted. For me the game could have been improved with a better structure &  without that inventory system.

Overall I thought that there was lot to like within the game but thought it was vastly inferior to the 1st one! 

Total Posts: 5051

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I just started the game. Don’t remember as much about it as you. I’m now in Maine. Save/exited after Claire’s phone call.

The art style is quite a bit different than Still Life. I rewatched the opening credits and I would seem that Microids is the publisher, but the design/development team is something else altogether. I will have to wait for the closing credits to see for sure, but there is no mention of Sokol. If I were to guess the closing credits would say something like “Based on the characters created by Benoit Sokol and Microids.”

Now you see what I was talking about when I complained about the inventory system. The inventory grid is 3x3, but the computer charger takes up 2 of the nine slots requiring a lot of inventory manipulation.

While I haven’t got to the point where Richard Valdez is identified as the killer, it certainly makes sense. He certainly had the best opportunity to abduct Mia.
The only other male characters are Miller Todd and Tate. None of them seem likely candidates. So if isn’t the unknown woman, who else is there?

I’ll probably play a little more tonight.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 406

Joined 2006-04-21

PM

I started Still Life 2 once I had finished Still Life 1 because I was invested in the story and wanted to find out the killer. But I was over the gameplay of 1, and I am already over 2. I am in the first playable section after what seemed like an eternity of cut scenes… except for the looking at articles, and after an hour all I had managed was stashing a mattress in a cupboard and getting zapped so many times I thought my character would have a heart attack.

I have put it aside for now to play a comedy game, I will give it another try after that because I have a theory about the killer from the first game that came to me while Victoria was doing the research on the FBI database.

The real problem with reality is the lack of background music.

Knightette of the Order of the Caption

Music is what feelings sound like…

Total Posts: 5837

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

skeeter_93 - 12 October 2022 07:24 PM

............  I have a theory about the killer from the first game that came to me while Victoria was doing the research on the FBI database.

I’m very curious about your theory skeeter so please share….please!  Smile

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Paloma has been kidnapped. While she did manage to escape the room, but is now back in custody. Vic is on the case with a detective named Garris. That’s my current Save.

Some problems. When I reloaded the prior Save I had lost all my detective work. Had to look at everything again. Had to enter data into the computer again. Had to listen to Claire’s phone call AGAIN. I hope this is a one-time glitch. Is there a specific spot when you must save? Such as a change of location?

Some functions seem to assume we’ve never played a game before. E.g., before I can use the antenna on the light switch, I must look at the light switch and have Victoria tell me I need to use something long and thin. Only then can I use it without getting shocked. Or, I can’t just use the nail file on the screws. I need to first inspect the screws and have Vic tell I need something thin and flat. Kind of condescending as well as annoying.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Another thought. We now have what is called the East Coast Killer. So, even if we think/know that Richard is the Chicago Killer, he can’t be doing the deed on the coast. Even if he was sufficiently mobile, Claire has seen him in Chicago. That means there must be at least two killers on the loose.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2006-04-21

PM

Okay…

So in Victoria’s research we find out that her boyfriend is Beatrice’s grandson. She is the nurse from the asylum that Mark Ackerman was in. He painted at least one provocative painting of her. My theory is that they had an affair and she had his son, Richard’s father. And that perhaps Richard followed in his grandfather’s footsteps - he’s definitely obsessed with his work, which could have been the influence of his grandmother growing up.

After an hour last night and a couple of hints, I managed to get out of the room, bumble about a bit and get back in, and call for help.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I think that’s the conclusion chrissie and I had. As well as Victoria when she saw the picture in the files and stated “This can’t be a coincidence!”

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 1263

Joined 2016-04-08

PM

I guess I will play Still Life 2 to find out the missing answers from Still Life (at least, I hope so), but it will have to be next year.

Good luck!

Currently translating Strangeland into Spanish. Wish me luck, or send me money to my Paypal haha

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Planned on making some serious progress today. Didn’t happen. Hopefully tomorrow. Had an appt with my retinal surgeon today. All is well, but the appt took much more time than I thought it would. Left a message on the SL1 thread in response to Walas’s thoughts on Richard.

My eyes are still a little effed up due to the drops. That’s the reason for nothing to report.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Eyes are a bit better today. Think the recovery time for one of the drops is around 24 hours. I’m back playing as Paloma in the basement. Got the phone call from the killer. Need to find the antidote for the poison he gave me. Found four vials and a bottle of something in the medicine cabinet. Seems like this is a trial and error solution that has the added difficulty of being timed. Saved. Need a plan of attack.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 1263

Joined 2016-04-08

PM

I hope you are getting better!

Currently translating Strangeland into Spanish. Wish me luck, or send me money to my Paypal haha

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

walas74 - 15 October 2022 05:02 PM

I hope you are getting better!

I had two retina detachment surgeries about 15 years ago. They were back to back. No sooner had the first surgery healed I had another in the same eye. Now I see the surgeon about every 18 months to make sure I’m doing OK. So far, so good. I also see my regular eye doctor every year for updates on prescription et al. The eye drops I get at the retinologist are primarily dilators, but to another order of magnitude. Which leaves my up-close vision a little fuzzy for a day or two. Thanks for the good words.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Lots of good messages. But few game-related posts.

Since chrissie is the only other player that has finished the game, and I seem to be the only other player who has played and forgotten most of the game. And no other player is participating, I seem to be the only player who is currently playing the game.

That’s OK. Reminds me of playing Syberia 4 as a solo act on a thread where everyone had already completed the game. It was a very nice experience.

Just am curious if that’s what this is.

If so, I’m OK, Will just continue playing at my own pace while reporting progress.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2006-04-21

PM

I only get onto the computer every few days to play or post here. I’m not enjoying the game too much at the moment, so I haven’t made a huge amount of progress. I will keep going, maybe Victoria’s section will be better.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

skeeter_93 - 16 October 2022 03:21 AM

I only get onto the computer every few days to play or post here. I’m not enjoying the game too much at the moment, so I haven’t made a huge amount of progress. I will keep going, maybe Victoria’s section will be better.

I think it’s just you and me for the time being. Walas said he might join once his translations are back on track. Will report when I’ve made some progress. Not sure where you are. Hopefully chissie will chime in when she sees we are about to do something stupid.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top