• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

AG Community Playthrough #73 - Amerzone

Total Posts: 5612

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

Yes, the script isn’t easy to read.

Difficult roads often lead to beautiful destinations.

Total Posts: 4282

Joined 2005-04-14

PM

But I get to learn a new word: klaxon.

By the way, I’m typing the hand-written stuff in order to better comprehend it.

Here’s a priest’s letter to Valembois:

Mission in PueblaApril 121998

My dear friend

It was with great joy tinged with disbelief that I received your letter after over fifty years of silence!!! I must admit that I had given up all hopes that our paths would ever cross again, and to be quite truthfulI even thought that you were no longer with us. For we are too old nowI fear, and deep down insidethe joy of meeting you again is mingled with the fear of seeing you undertake such a risky expedition at your age.

My old friend AlexandreI believe that I share your feeling of guiltiness towards this poor country of the Amerzonewe have made many mistakes that only our youth may explain...

Todayin the twilight of our yearswe want to make right our wrongs in order to obtain an earthly redemption from our fellow men and from ourselveswhich is quite derisory compared with devine justice.

All this is quite humanI admitbut what folly to set off again at your age through the Amerzonian forest and marshlandsYou will fail on your way and leave your life over here...

What's more, the Amerzone you once knew no longer exists, my dear old fellow. Things have changed here, like in the rest of the world. You speak to me of White Birds... But I have come to believe that they no longer fly but in the heady fumes of intoxication of the few denatured Indians that were spared by the inexorable march towards progress.

You may think that I am very bitter, Alexandre. But if you saw the sad state that country is in now... As if it is called down by a curse...
Should you persist, however, in your determination to return to Amerzone and stop over at our mission in Puebla as you have planned it, note that you will not find the companion in adventures of your youth, but a poor toothless old man who will nonetheless be delighted to receive you under his roof. Then, like two ghosts, we will go and sit on the riverbanks to watch the sun set on our lives.

May God protect you.

David Mackowski 

I have no idea where all these colours of the text came from.

It could always be worse, remember that.
mjp

Total Posts: 506

Joined 2014-08-01

PM

I thought you meant to emphasize that it was the other page of that letter. xp

” I remember. Somebody died. It was me.”
~

Total Posts: 5054

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I agree that the script texts would be hard to read by someone with English as a second language. They are quite hard to read by someone who’s primary language is English.

I’ve made it up all the stairs. I’ve been outside and have seen what I guess is the second of needed co-ordinates. I’ve found and read all of the relevant documents. At least I’ve read all that I have found. Which I think is all of them. There are no more unexamined hot spots.

So, unless someone sees something I missed, I think it’s about time to use the hammer on the trap door.

May get to that later tonight.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 525

Joined 2022-02-22

PM

This is my 2nd attempt at Amerzone over the years and I can’t be the only one wanting to bring a sledgehammer to my computer. Everything is so dark and the mouse movement is janky as hell, it feels like i have to wrestle with it to move it anywhere. Fonts are unreadable, speech is nearly inaudible. No idea what I’m supposed to do to get the watercraft thing going.

Sigh. Could someone please rub me on the back and tell me it’s all going to be okay? Sealed Lips

AKA Charo

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

Poor Charo!  I’m sorry you’re having such a tough time of it. *pat, pat*  I don’t mean to frustrate you, but I’m not having those issues.  Did you install it from a disk or download it from GOG?

Thanks for typing that letter, Z!  Thumbs Up

Joined 2014-08-01

PM

I want to believe that when we get to Amerzone it will be an paradisiac island located in some lost place near the Caribbean where the sun never sets and maybe then we won’t have any more problems with this dark environment that barely allows us to distinguish what is in front of our eyes.

For now this game has been a struggle, a struggle against the lack of subtitles, a struggle against the handwritten textbook that is barely legible, a struggle against the impossibility to control the volume and sound separately, a struggle against the clumsy movements, a struggle…. but ... I will continue to see where it takes me and where I end up.

~

Total Posts: 4282

Joined 2005-04-14

PM

Charophycean - 15 July 2022 09:50 PM

Could someone please rub me on the back and tell me it’s all going to be okay? Sealed Lips

Lady Kestrel - 15 July 2022 10:52 PM

Poor Charo!  I’m sorry you’re having such a tough time of it. *pat, pat*

The playthrough has barely started and we already have The Game Mistress Of The Year!

Lady Kestrel - 15 July 2022 10:52 PM

Thanks for typing that letter, Z!  Thumbs Up

You’re welcome! I’m glad I could contribute a little something to alleviate some of the pain of the fellow players.
I won’t pat Charophycean on the back, though. Grin

P.S. I’ll have the whole Valembois log typed soon. It’s huge, so I’ll probably upload a TXT file (readable in Notepad) somewhere and post a link here.
Edit: I’ll attach the file here, if it’s possible.

Edit 2: I couldn’t attach the file here for some reason, so here’s an external link.

It could always be worse, remember that.
mjp

Total Posts: 1350

Joined 2009-04-28

PM

I’ve started and explored the lighthouse so far and agree, there is a lot of reading to be done. Ignored some of it initially but came back to it later with a more relaxed mindset and read through much of it.

Can I just check LadyK, did you mean ignore the trapdoor for the whole of this first section? Because although I have come across various things, managed to associate the birds in the telescope with the relevant bit from the diary etc. I seem to be at something of an impasse. Did you mean just ignore it at first and then go down once you’ve explored or is there something else I should be doing?

Not looking for answers, just whether I should go through the trapdoor or not. Smile

3.5 time winner of the “Really Annoying Caption Contest Saboteur” Award!

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Intense Degree - 16 July 2022 10:25 AM

Can I just check LadyK, did you mean ignore the trapdoor for the whole of this first section? Because although I have come across various things, managed to associate the birds in the telescope with the relevant bit from the diary etc. I seem to be at something of an impasse. Did you mean just ignore it at first and then go down once you’ve explored or is there something else I should be doing?

Not looking for answers, just whether I should go through the trapdoor or not. Smile

Good question. Lady K said not to open the trapdoor for now. She said not to touch the “destination” button, or something like that. I just assumed that the button was somewhere on the other side of the trap door. But maybe that isn’t the case. I will wait for her answer before proceeding.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2014-08-01

PM

I reached the stop point and I’m ready to press the destination button.

Intense Degree - 16 July 2022 10:25 AM

I commented on this a couple of posts ago. I was ignoring the trap door because I thought (according to Lady K) that we should ignore it for now, I assumed she meant this whole first part, but when I went to see what was there because I got tired of walking around I realized that that’s the way forward.  I thought to myself that maybe I misunderstood what Lady K meant.

~

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

I’m sorry for the unclear directions.  When I mentioned all the levels, I meant the cellar, too.  Keep going until you can travel, but don’t push the final button. Smile Also, make sure you have Valembois’ diary.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

OK! I think I’ve experienced my first big glitch. Was in the tunnel, in the computer room, entered what I though was the password. And I think this is where Lady K says not to hit the button. But it is titled “Activation” and not what I thought I was told the button title would be.

Regardless, when I entered the password, the game just stopped. No crash. No blue screen of death. Just dropped me back to the desktop with no game running. Will give this a restart from a saved game tomorrow. Hope this is not a problem.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

You must activate the computer, Tim.  It does trigger a quick cut scene, so I hope you’ll be able to get past it.

Total Posts: 1350

Joined 2009-04-28

PM

Thanks Lady K, I am now up to the stopping point.

I think one of the things that annoyed me the last time I tried to play this was the 360 ‘node’ navigation. This time it’s not so bad somehow. There have been one or two points, especially on stairs, when I have been pleased that I don’t have to navigate around corners with several clicks (like in some slideshow or ‘node based’ games), which can get pretty disorientating quickly for me.

On the whole I haven’t felt too lost in the screens other than somehow failing to realise that you could climb the spiral stairs in the lighthouse all the way to the top! Not sure how I managed to miss that for a while.Pan

It’s too early in the game to be making many judgments at the moment so let’s pass over the paper thin death of M. Valembois after a few broken words, and the ‘convenient’ but rambling speech of the postman and the dude on the phone from the natural history place.

One thing I will say though, I am getting pretty serious deja vue vibes from the section so far. While I did start to play the game years ago, I don’t think it’s from that (or not just from that), it seems to remind me of a few other games like Lighthouse and probably more I am forgetting. The underground lake/boat/plane/launch thing for one.

Anyone else get that?

3.5 time winner of the “Really Annoying Caption Contest Saboteur” Award!

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top