• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

If you could wipe one adventure game from your brain…

Total Posts: 2454

Joined 2019-12-22

PM

Baron_Blubba - 14 May 2022 09:41 PM
Vegetable Party - 14 May 2022 09:17 PM

In het Nederlands en het Engels.  Thumbs Up

If that was supposed to be English, then I just don’t know what to do with you.

Ich weiß nicht was du meinst.

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

He’s our center-half, he’s our number 4
Watch him defend, and we watch him score
He’ll pass the ball, calm as you like
He’s Virgil Van Dijk
He’s Virgil Van Dijk

Viva Netherlands!

Total Posts: 7446

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Doom - 14 May 2022 03:54 PM

Pretty sure Baron Blubba was satirizing rtrooney’s comment in his distinctive way Laughing

Aha.

Don’t disappear, Karlok.

You actually used Google Translate. Smile Thanks. I didn’t think anybody would.

You had your moment of revenge, rtrooney. Good for you. Let’s leave it at that.

Advie - 15 May 2022 12:36 PM

He’s our center-half, he’s our number 4
Watch him defend, and we watch him score
He’ll pass the ball, calm as you like
He’s Virgil Van Dijk
He’s Virgil Van Dijk

Viva Netherlands!

I’m not into soccer, I don’t even know who Virgil van Dijk is, but Dijk and like don’t rhyme. Smile

Butter my buns and call me a biscuit! - Agent A

Total Posts: 1338

Joined 2009-08-06

PM

Dijk and like do rhyme.

En elke Nederlander zou moeten weten wie van Dijk is.

To answer topic at hand: Absolutely adored my first experience with Grim Fandango and The Longest Journey, and a bit of nostalgia is involved as well. But I got to hand it to The Last Express.

Other favorable mentions but fall outside of the adventure genre:
Metal Gear Solid 3
A Link to the Past

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Origami - 19 May 2022 08:01 AM

Dijk and like do rhyme.

No, they don’t. ij is not one of the English diphthongs, so Dijk is pronounced as Dyke.

En elke Nederlander zou moeten weten wie van Dijk is.

Welcome back.

To answer topic at hand: Absolutely adored my first experience with Grim Fandango and The Longest Journey, and a bit of nostalgia is involved as well. But I got to hand it to The Last Express.

TLE is a fantastic game, but I’ve played it to death. I can’t even imagine what it’s like to never have played it.

Joined 2019-12-22

PM

I guess they rhyme in English, or if slap an accent on it! (I think the best fit would be Polder-Dutch, a mixture of different regional/social-economical accents, most of them originating in the Flevopolder that was populated largely by migration from Noord-Holland. It became quite prominent in pop music during the 90s and 00s. For the Dutch people among us, it sounds like jeai was de einige vor meai.

I’ll stop myself right there before I go off into a segue that’s really not relevant to the thread, or interesting in general, except for weirdos like me.

My favourite Dutch soccer chant will forever be “say ooh, ah, Ed de Goeij”.

@Origami: did you ever finish A Link to the Past? I still haven’t reached the ending yet. I have it on the wii and I intend to finish it at some point in time (Inshallah). I considered The Legend of Zelda: Link’s Awakening for the brain wipe treatment, but I’m not sure if it would resonate with me as much as it did when I played it on a borrowed cartridge as a kid.

I’ve heard good things about Metal Gear Solid 3 recently, especially about the narrative.

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Vegetable Party - 19 May 2022 09:02 AM

I guess they rhyme in English, or if slap an accent on it!

No they do NOT rhyme! What the f… is wrong with my fellow Dutchies.

Joined 2019-12-22

PM

Karlok - 19 May 2022 09:23 AM

I ask myself that question on a daily basis.

Total Posts: 845

Joined 2021-03-01

PM

Vegetable Party - 19 May 2022 09:28 AM
Karlok - 19 May 2022 09:23 AM

I ask myself that question on a daily basis.

So how is ‘Dijk’ pronounced in Dutch? I would read it ‘dike’, just like bike and hike and psyche and pike.

First time I played TLE, it was one of my favorite games that I had ever played. The second time, it was very good but not great. Played it for a third time a few years ago (and there are gaps of at least 5 years in between each playthrough) and really didn’t like it. The scope is admirable, but man, it was just too drawn out and I felt like many of the places visited, which captured my imagination and were then embellished by my imagination as a youthish person, were just token visits to as many different classic fairy tale areas as possible. Air, water, forest, etc.  They felt like movie sets, not real places. A lot of the characters retained their charm over the years, but some others didn’t stand the test of time quite as well. Just corny, or else overwritten and under-developed. Obviously, the game has stayed the same; it’s me that’s changed. My first playthrough is still one of my most magical gaming memories, and I definitely would not want to erase that.

Player, purveyor, and propagator of smart toys and games for all ages.
Facebook.com/weplayfaves
IG @weplayfaves

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Baron_Blubba - 19 May 2022 12:05 PM

So how is ‘Dijk’ pronounced in Dutch? I would read it ‘dike’, just like bike and hike and psyche and pike.

I found 5 very different pronunciations of Virgil van Dijk.
Only the 4th one from the top is correct Dutch. Cool https://nl.howtopronounce.com/virgil-van-dijk 
Or just the word dijk: https://forvo.com/word/dijk/

First time I played TLE, it was one of my favorite games that I had ever played. The second time, it was very good but not great. Played it for a third time a few years ago (and there are gaps of at least 5 years in between each playthrough) and really didn’t like it. The scope is admirable, but man, it was just too drawn out and I felt like many of the places visited, which captured my imagination and were then embellished by my imagination as a youthish person, were just token visits to as many different classic fairy tale areas as possible. Air, water, forest, etc.  They felt like movie sets, not real places. A lot of the characters retained their charm over the years, but some others didn’t stand the test of time quite as well. Just corny, or else overwritten and under-developed. Obviously, the game has stayed the same; it’s me that’s changed. My first playthrough is still one of my most magical gaming memories, and I definitely would not want to erase that.

Eh… are you sure we’re talking about the same game? I don’t recognize anything. Air, water, forest… visits to classic fairy tale areas. My TLE takes place on a train. 

EDIT: Do you by any chance mean The Longest Journey? TLJ instead of TLE.  Tongue

Joined 2019-12-22

PM

abbreviation miscommunication!

Total Posts: 845

Joined 2021-03-01

PM

Karlok - 19 May 2022 12:46 PM
Baron_Blubba - 19 May 2022 12:05 PM

I found 5 very different pronunciations of Virgil van Dijk.
Only the 4th one from the top is correct Dutch. Cool https://nl.howtopronounce.com/virgil-van-dijk 
Or just the word dijk: https://forvo.com/word/dijk/

Eh… are you sure we’re talking about the same game? I don’t recognize anything. Air, water, forest… visits to classic fairy tale areas. My TLE takes place on a train. 

EDIT: Do you by any chance mean The Longest Journey? TLJ instead of TLE.  Tongue

Yes, but the fourth one from the top (meaning the fourth one on the list, counting downward from the top one)_*does* rhyme with ‘like’!

I’m confused. Just like I was when I misread TLE as The Longest Journey. Good catch there. What a waste of a diatribe on my part.

Player, purveyor, and propagator of smart toys and games for all ages.
Facebook.com/weplayfaves
IG @weplayfaves

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Baron_Blubba - 19 May 2022 01:41 PM

Yes, but the fourth one from the top (meaning the fourth one on the list, counting downward from the top one)_*does* rhyme with ‘like’!

You don’t believe a native Dutch speaker? It may sound like it rhymes to your ears but you really should take my word for it that it doesn’t. The Dutch language has the same diphthong as in the English word like, which is different from the diphthong IJ in dijk. “E” instead of “A”. Try it. E as in let + Y as in young.

I’m sure one of my fellow Dutchies will be along shortly to confuse matters with dialects and whatnot, but that’s just because they want to be contrarian. They do know that what I’m saying is correct.

Joined 2019-12-22

PM

Karlok - 19 May 2022 02:17 PM

I’m sure one of my fellow Dutchies will be along shortly to confuse matters with dialects and whatnot, but that’s just because they want to be contrarian.

I prefer the term wildcard.

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Vegetable Party - 19 May 2022 02:25 PM

I prefer the term wildcard.

PLOINK!

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top