• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Dale

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

AG Community Playthrough #67 Nelly Cootalot: The Fowl Fleet

Total Posts: 5054

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I’ve managed to get myself back to a save point prior to starting the game. But I’ve also discovered some other things while wandering around. The mechanic who will fix the ship if I give him the right drink being one. Even if I succeed in play/reload the puzzle, there seem to be a mind-boggling number of sub-puzzles that must be solved. Unless you’re using a walkthrough, I’m not sure it’s possible to finish this episode by the suggested due date. I would certainly suggest giving this episode an additional week.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

rtrooney - 30 July 2021 08:34 PM

I’ve managed to get myself back to a save point prior to starting the game. But I’ve also discovered some other things while wandering around. The mechanic who will fix the ship if I give him the right drink being one. Even if I succeed in play/reload the puzzle, there seem to be a mind-boggling number of sub-puzzles that must be solved. Unless you’re using a walkthrough, I’m not sure it’s possible to finish this episode by the suggested due date. I would certainly suggest giving this episode an additional week.

I recommend using a walkthrough as needed. That’s what they are for, if you think you are lost or can’t solve a puzzle they are a godsend.

I’ve broken the game into 2-3 hour play segments, and the whole game can be played in 8-9 hours.

On Monday, we’ll see where everyone is at and determine if the group needs more time.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I know that there is a need for walkthroughs. I used one at the very beginning when I found out the Steam download didn’t include some cut scenes. Turns out they were irrelevant, but it gave me a jolt. I prefer not using them unless absolutely necessary. I used the one you recommended for solving the anatomy puzzle. I have not done that yet, even though I know it will probably open up some other avenues.

Perhaps those other things include getting our folk singer into the magazine. And getting one of our literary mavens to write a pirate-ish article. And once in the magazine, he will write the song that will fulfill the three things necessary for Judge Groat to give Nelly her privateer license.

For the time being I prefer to just continue meandering until it becomes absolutely necessary to solve the puzzle. That won’t happen by tomorrow. So feel free to move forward. I will catch up when I can.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

Ok, my fellow adventurers, let’s play another section of the game. Let play in the land of Gloomholm until you reach this screen and then stop. As usual, you have one week to complete this section:

Heart

Image Attachments

CE47AFF8-74D0-427A-9215-E0701A03C80A.jpeg

Click thumbnail to see full-size image

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 5608

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

I’m behind because of the summer contest and some home issues, but I will do my best to get caught up this week.

Difficult roads often lead to beautiful destinations.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

The game, which I am in love with, is not what it seems. At first it seems non-linear. You can go wherever you want. Talk with whoever you run into. Collect inventory, use it where it seems appropriate. Even solve some sub-puzzles. But, in the end, if you don’t solve the anatomy puzzle first, you are pretty much doomed.

That is particularly true if you believed you could not die in this game. Perhaps you can’t, but you can certainly dead-end yourself if you don’t save a game before starting the game with Mell. If you don’t win against Mell, there is no way to proceed in the game.

Of course you can proceed. You can have additional conversations et al.

But unless you win 6-0 against Mell, you cannot play against the Harbor Master. And until you do, and show him to be the cheat he is, there is no way to move forward.

I don’t think it is possible to discover this without a WT. As much as I look forward to getting through the end of this session, I think this is a huge game-design flaw.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 23

Joined 2013-05-26

PM

rtrooney - 02 August 2021 08:49 PM

But unless you win 6-0 against Mell, you cannot play against the Harbor Master. And until you do, and show him to be the cheat he is, there is no way to move forward.

I’m not sure I follow this - you should only need to beat Melly once, and if you don’t beat him you should be able to play him again. Is that not how it’s working for you?

You only have to beat him first time if you want an achievement, which I think is why walkthroughs tell you to save before. Unless there’s a bug I don’t know about.

Total Posts: 2454

Joined 2019-12-22

PM

Finally playing this game sober. Personally, I feel a bit less piratey, but the game’s charm compensates this lack in spades.

I’m currently still on Vogel Island, so let me catch up with the murmuration.

I found a way to get off the island. I thought I was looking for a rubber chicken, pulley (not) included, but this seems more convenient.

I like how the game communicates goals and probable/possible puzzle solutions.

There are many great lines in this section as well. The bit about picking up random junk got a laugh and “The indoor use of cannons is frowned upon” is a gem as well.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

AliBK - 03 August 2021 05:36 AM
rtrooney - 02 August 2021 08:49 PM

I’m not sure I follow this - you should only need to beat Melly once, and if you don’t beat him you should be able to play him again. Is that not how it’s working for you?

You only have to beat him first time if you want an achievement, which I think is why walkthroughs tell you to save before. Unless there’s a bug I don’t know about.

The first time you play the game you get the opening move. Unless you win, Mell gets the opening move after that. Which gives him a decided advantage

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

I rather liked this puzzle, thought it was very funny. See attached pic.

You must be quick because if you hesitate you will hear a buzzer and your turn is over. Even if you do not hold the tweezers exactly above the right spot, your turn will pass. In the event of a tie or loss, you have to go through this game again, because Nelly has to beat Moses once to be able to take on Van Zandt. I believe, but I am not sure, that the 6 parts must be pulled out of the patient in a certain order. The 6 parts are: The left hand, right hand, the left eye, the bottle in the abdomen and both feet. The first time you can make the first move but after that Moses always starts.

AliBK, question for you, will we see more Nelly games? She’s quite fun.

Heart

Image Attachments

529EDBA8-FC42-4DC3-BE4A-65C9FAC7B22C.jpeg

Click thumbnail to see full-size image

Total Posts: 1274

Joined 2016-04-08

PM

I’ll try to catch up as soon as possible.

Currently translating Strangeland into Spanish. Wish me luck, or send me money to my Paypal haha

Joined 2013-05-26

PM

rtrooney - 03 August 2021 03:12 PM

The first time you play the game you get the opening move. Unless you win, Mell gets the opening move after that. Which gives him a decided advantage

I don’t want to hog this thread! But I just spoke with the programmer who says:

It is really hard to loose the first game against Melly - it is made especially difficult to loose on purpose: You get an achievement for winning this game on the first try, as far as I can remember - a game where you don’t know the rules as it starts. To make that even possible, I had to make Melly play exceptionally bad the first time playing. The other times you actually need to get all your items and Melly needs to drop two items - that is possible - you might have to play several times though. I just played it three times, once loosing on purpose, then losing because it was a draw and then winning because Melly dropped the items twice.

What platform were they playing on? Maybe with a very different random number generator it might be more difficult to win because he needs to drop the item twice and he has an official chance of dropping of 33.3%…

Does that help explain what you’re experiencing? It’s not supposed to be a dead end!

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I think your explanation of your programmer’s explanation makes as little sense to me as my explanation of my problems did to you. I have returned to a start point where I can play the game for the first time. I haven’t had a chance to do it because I have a lot of other things going on. And, if I succeed there is a lot of backtracking and re-discovery that needs to be done.

I think my major problem is your statement by innuendo and AL’s statement by quote is that we should have saved a game before we played the puzzler for the first time. How would we know to do this? By consulting a walkthrough!

Who starts a game by downloading a WT?

If that’s your method, you’re not playing a game. You’re following a script.

I’ll be the one adding comments long after the thread has closed.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2013-05-26

PM

rtrooney - 04 August 2021 08:36 PM

I think your explanation of your programmer’s
I think my major problem is your statement by innuendo and AL’s statement by quote is that we should have saved a game before we played the puzzler for the first time.

No, there’s no implication that you need to save first. The mini-game is just easier on the first playthrough. It’s certainly still beatable after that, it just might take a couple of tries.

Adv_Lvr: I mentioned it a few pages back… sadly there are no more plans for Nelly games. But I have written for a couple of other adventure games which I’d certainly encourge people to check out, like Unforeseen Incidents.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I managed to solve the amputation puzzle. I don’t know where I picked it up, but I was under the impression that I needed to win the game 6-0 in order to move on to Van Zandt. I did win 5-1, which I guess was good enough. Regardless, because I had to go back to an earlier save, I now must re-acquire a lot of inventory. So, I’m still quite a bit behind. Right now I’m at the point where I’ve received my papers from Judge Groat. Perhaps I will be able to catch up by Monday, but don’t put any pricey wagers on it.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top