• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Jdawg445

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Text Adventure Playthrough #8: Counterfeit Monkey

Total Posts: 7446

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

>n

Crumbling Wall Face

The wall once continued north from here some distance before curving northwest around the remainder of the city. So much has crumbled away, though, that the walkway is impassable north of this point. To protect citizens, there is a safety railing across the broken edge.

A metal ladder of four rungs descends the inner face of the wall, allowing pedestrians access to the streets to the west.

Among the rubble fill of the wall is an odd spiral-shaped rock.

>x railing
Though it shows traces of surface rust, the safety railing is sturdy and close-fitted enough to prevent anyone, child or adult, from taking a tumble down the jagged masonry.

The monocle pings happily as we sight the safety railing with the crosshairs.

>x ladder
The rungs have been bolted individually into the stone.

The monocle pings happily as we sight the metal ladder with the crosshairs.

>x rock
The spiral rock turns out to be a fossil, from one of those sea creatures long ago.

The monocle pings happily as we sight the fossil with the crosshairs.

Butter my buns and call me a biscuit! - Agent A

Total Posts: 421

Joined 2007-08-13

PM

>wave l-remover at ladder

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

> get all
> w

Pegbiter - 19 March 2021 11:44 AM

I’m going for “meta adder” impossibility. Tongue

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

We reset the device to l. The device buzzes, puzzled. It has tried to create a “meta adder”: evidently “ladder” is too tightly bound to its modifiers and can’t be manipulated separately. Or perhaps it just doesn’t have sufficient power to handle the metal ladder.

>get all
fossil: We pick it up. It is perhaps an inch and a half long, the shape of a corkscrew seashell that once housed something small and soft. There are thousands of these things around; they’re not exactly valuable, but an interesting curiosity all the same.

>w

Webster Court

Here below the wall is a broad, plainly-paved court.

Lending its name to the location is a bronze statue of Noah Webster. My mother likes to irritate my father by quoting what his contemporaries called Webster: a “viper”, a “maniacal pedant”, and (always a favorite at Reform Day parties) “a toad in the service of sans-culottism”. She makes sure to pronounce that in the most Parisian accent possible.

The large building just to the north — yes, the one in pale pink — is my parents’ home. I think I mentioned that my parents were well off. My father works for the Bureau, embarrassingly, and my mother was born into the kind of money that we like to pretend doesn’t exist on this island.

The streets continue south, east, and west; and just to the northeast is my parents’ side garden.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

> wave s-remover at fossil
> s

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

>wave s-remover at fossil
We reset the device to s. There is a distinct spearmint flavor, and the fossil turns into a foil. One of those long springy swords used for fencing. It has a button at the tip to prevent harm to one’s opponent.

There is a dismissive blatt from the monocle, and transposed over the foil is a faint, greenish image of a fossil.

Total Posts: 421

Joined 2007-08-13

PM

>wave f-remover at foil

I’m thinking that most of the manipulations that we’re allowed to do aren’t helping us progress in the game. Which adds an additional level of complexity, since there are potentially a lot of purposeless items.

>ne

Total Posts: 1353

Joined 2017-09-18

PM

In reality obtaining a car shouldn’t be that difficult. Just wander around town asking peoples names until we find a Carl or a Cara Smile

LongSmile - 19 March 2021 07:40 PM

Sorry to interfere with the fun. I still remember old text games from the 90s with the end of a .bat file
Probably most of them were created by amateurs. Is there any vault / archive with these antiques? Some of them really sparked the imagination

Try the Interactive Fiction Database: https://ifdb.org/

Lots of free games for download.

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

>wave f-remover at foil
We reset the device to f. With a distinct whiff of mechanics and the summer time, the foil turns into some oil. A can of what appears to be motor oil. It is sludgy and black.

There is a dismissive blatt from the monocle, and transposed over the oil is a faint, greenish image of a fossil.

>ne

Patriotic Chard-Garden

A narrow strip of land between the house and the edge of my parents’ property. The eastern edge runs right up to the decaying old wall of the city, which here means some stumpy masonry on this side and a dizzying drop on the other.

The rest of their terraces and gardens are fenced off.

A little chard still grows in the nearest bed, carefully tended to thrive in this climate.

Because it’s so linguistically productive, chard is something of a national symbol; and during the world wars, there was a fad of gardening at home. After the war, it became common for affluent people with a little bit of land to keep their garden, so that if you were down on your luck you could glean a few leaves.

Joined 2017-09-18

PM

Chard? That was unexpected. I was expecting we’d have to go fishing in the ocean for carp, or something like that.

>get chard
>wave h-remover at chard

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

>wave h-remover at chard
We reset the device to h. With a distinct whiff of crisp, snappy cardboard, the chard turns into a card. Not a playing card, as I might have expected, or a calling card, or even an index card, but a Tarot card, representing the Chariot. The vehicle is drawn by two prize horses, one black, one white. The driver appears to be having some difficulty keeping them together, to judge from the surly expression and the raised whip.

There is a dismissive blatt from the monocle, and transposed over the card is a faint, greenish image of some chard.

>get card
We pick up the card.

Joined 2017-09-18

PM

>wave d-remover at card

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

>wave d-remover at card
We reset the device to d. With a distinct whiff of metal parts and oil, the card turns into a car. It is little larger than a toy, but that is what you want when driving on the streets around here. Any substantial vehicle wouldn’t fit down the winding drives.

Here is how my mother gets around. She takes a 300 Euro Hermès scarf with an orange border and a pattern of prancing horses. She tosses it in the air. As it falls, she shoots it twice, like a clay pigeon: once to take out the F, the second time for the S. And such a car: buttery leather seats, jaguar lines. If someone asks how she gets such good results, she jokes that it’s because of her quality materials.

Suffice it to say that we are not similarly blessed.

The car is far too large for us to carry, and falls onto the ground.

Joined 2017-09-18

PM

A scarf! Yes! Our mother is a genius. What a way to travel.

>x car
>get in car
>start car

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

>x car
It is little larger than a toy, but that is what you want when driving on the streets around here. Any substantial vehicle wouldn’t fit down the winding drives.

There is a dismissive blatt from the monocle, and transposed over the car is a faint, greenish image of some chard.

>enter car
We open the car door: perhaps unsurprisingly, it comes without an effective lock system.

We get into the car.

>start car
The extremely primitive dial in front of us is pointing all the way to the left. I think that’s its way of saying it’s out of fuel. At any rate, the engine won’t start.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top