• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

apignarb

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

The Fool and His Money

Total Posts: 401

Joined 2003-09-16

PM

Lady Kestrel - 26 November 2012 11:39 AM
Oscar - 26 November 2012 10:03 AM

Is it really 39.95? I adored Fool’s Errand but it took me no longer than a few evenings, so unless The Fool and His Money is substantially longer I may need to wait until it becomes cheaper.

(Or my bank account becomes fatter. A fool and his money indeed…)

Oscar,
They must have been very long evenings. Smile Figuring out the mazes and the map alone took me days.

The sequel is much longer than the original and more complex, I think.  Puzzles are hidden in fun places, and figuring out the rules of the card games, auctions and other unique puzzles takes quite a while.  I have reams of notes.

Same here. I actually printed the little map tiles and cut them out to help me arrange them.

Total Posts: 1368

Joined 2012-09-28

PM

Colpet: Have you come across any ‘mouse tracing’ puzzles or anything similar in the new game? I had a lot of trouble with those in the first game as my hand-eye coordination is absolutely abysmal.

Also: I hate the pirates. (in the demo)

Total Posts: 946

Joined 2005-06-02

PM

I have a question for those of you who already bought the full game, like Colpet and Lady K. How long is your password? I downloaded the game just now, unzipped the password file and I get a text document (starting with a couple of letters of my name): 15 lines of abracadabra! That can’t be right. Do I need a special utility to open the password file?

Now playing: ——-
Recently finished: don’t remember
Up next:  Eh…
Looking forward to:
Ithaka of the Clouds; The Last Crown; all the kickstarter adventure games I supported

Joined 2003-09-16

PM

Zifnab - 26 November 2012 10:51 PM

Colpet: Have you come across any ‘mouse tracing’ puzzles or anything similar in the new game? I had a lot of trouble with those in the first game as my hand-eye coordination is absolutely abysmal.

Also: I hate the pirates. (in the demo)

No mouse tracing that I’ve come across.

Joined 2003-09-16

PM

Fien - 27 November 2012 06:53 AM

I have a question for those of you who already bought the full game, like Colpet and Lady K. How long is your password? I downloaded the game just now, unzipped the password file and I get a text document (starting with a couple of letters of my name): 15 lines of abracadabra! That can’t be right. Do I need a special utility to open the password file?

I had to open the zipped password file and put the resultant text file into the main game file for it to work. There were some detailed instructions on the download page that I followed. My password had some of my name letters too.

Joined 2005-06-02

PM

Colpet, I followed those instructions as well. I can only conclude something is wrong. I’ll contact the developer.

EDIT: I reinstalled everything and now it works fine. Smile Should have done that immediately, instead of running to AG…

Looking forward to:
Ithaka of the Clouds; The Last Crown; all the kickstarter adventure games I supported

Joined 2005-06-02

PM

Well, I’m disappointed. At the start of the game, the first 17 puzzles are available and 10 of those have to do with letters and words. If I’d known I wouldn’t have bought the game. There’s even one puzzle that consists of 45 anagrams. Frown

Looking forward to:

Total Posts: 45

Joined 2012-11-27

PM

Yeah, there are a lot of word puzzles, but that was also the case in the first game.

I played through A Fool’s Errand last week after having read some really positive responses and reviews on the sequel. As I felt the price of the sequel was too high to just put down some money and download it, I decided to get the first game for free from his website to check ik out.

And I loved it. I only needed help with one puzzle (which was really different from the rest) and powered through it in just a few nights, with the map and subsequent puzzles taking the longest bite out of that time.

So I ordered the sequel and it’s kind of similar to the first game, except for two things. 1) There seem to be a lot more puzzles this time around as the screens with word puzzles now often contain 5 or more of them, whereas those would have been mostly separate puzzles in the first game. 2) The word puzzles are a lot harder. I didn’t really have any trouble with them in the first game, but here they take me quite some time to solve. 

Those two combined mean that I haven’t even been able put a dent in the normal puzzles. After several hours of playing I’ve only managed to solve a handful of puzzles. In that time I had already solved about half of the original’s pre meta-puzzle puzzles.

So yeah, there is enough in here to sink your teeth into, but if you aren’t into word puzzles/anagrams or aren’t confident about your English this game is probably not for you (but you might still want to try the first game as its easier and it doesn’t take long to get it to run if you follow the directions on his website).

Joined 2003-09-16

PM

Fien - 27 November 2012 06:49 PM

Well, I’m disappointed. At the start of the game, the first 17 puzzles are available and 10 of those have to do with letters and words. If I’d known I wouldn’t have bought the game. There’s even one puzzle that consists of 45 anagrams. Frown

I’m sorry, Fien. Even with English as my native language, I’m generally bad at word games (logic and math are my strong points). I’ve made use of the hints a few times. My favorite puzzle so far is the card game (Wyck’s Wager).

Total Posts: 5601

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

I’m sorry, too, Fien.  I didn’t think to give you a breakdown from the list.  Note that those puzzles that begin with the same letters are the same kind of puzzles, so you can find those you like and work on those when you get frustrated with the others. 

I just finished the game tonight, and solving the map is only the halfway point in the game.  The word jumbles do tend to be harder than the first game, simply because many the words are longer.  The ending resolves the story nicely, and it was very satisfying. 

Zifnab,
I assume you’re talking about the jigsaw type puzzles.  For your information, you can’t defeat them by clicking on them, but there is a trick to keep them from appearing.  Let me know if you want to know the secret.

There are several pattern puzzles in the game, but they require memory rather than dexterity.

Colpet,
I found the wagers a lot of fun once I figured out the rules.  There are several in the game, each with different rules.

“Rainy days should be spent at home with a cup of tea and a good book.” -Bill Watterson

Total Posts: 1338

Joined 2009-08-06

PM

“The Fool and his Money”

Would be funny if the title reflects on the thoughts of the developers about their consumers. =D

Joined 2005-06-02

PM

Ladies, I’m certainly not blaming either of you! I’m the only one responsible for my buying decision. Besides, I was feeling real frustrated last night, but this morning I solved a couple of (easy) anagrams, which was a much-needed boost for my ego. Smile However, I will go for a walkthrough when I’ve given each word puzzle my best shot, because gaming should be enjoyable. No WT for the rest of the puzzles!

Yeah, I love the wagers too. Completed Wyck’s Wager in the demo several times, just for fun. To my delight, Wyck’s Wager in the real game turned out to be harder, with different categories and more cards. Am currently working at it.

Lady K., I hadn’t realised the first letter of the puzzles was important, thanks for the info.

Colpet, I haven’t seen any in-game hints. Or maybe you’re talking about the hints at the developer’s web site?

Looking forward to:

Joined 2003-09-16

PM

The hints I’m using come from the website.

Total Posts: 45

Joined 2012-11-27

PM

A question:

Is there any visual aid in the card games that helps you determine which the winning pairs are? In the first game (which only had one of these), this was done by uh, I believe turning the names of the cards gray and rendering them in italics or something. I haven’t been able to find any changes here and that makes it somewhat harder to know which cards can be combined.

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

Is there just one card game in the whole thing? The tarot card game in Fool’s Errand was the absolute best thing in it. I’d do anything for an adventure game full of those.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top