• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Sefir

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

A Myst (Poll) 

Poll: Your Favorite ?
Total Votes: 34
Myst
Riven
Exile
Revelation
End of Ages

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

inm8#2 - 22 November 2012 03:31 PM

I think he means first person “slideshow” games.

^ Yup, this.

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 880

Joined 2010-02-15

PM

Is it really a Slideshow game? I only played a bit of it, but isn’t it more FMV and no slideshow? I always thought there was transitional movement like Journeyman Project in that game.

EDIT: Nope, I was thinking of Grand Inquisitor.

Stuart Bradley Newsom - Naughty Shinobi || Our Game: Shadow Over Isolation

Total Posts: 56

Joined 2009-08-31

PM

My standard answer to this is that Riven is the gameplay masterpiece of the Myst series and Revelation is the storytelling masterpiece. I love the first 4 games but those are the standouts. But, if someone were to insist on just one game to be ranked number 1 you can’t choose other than Riven. There’s never been a better realized gameworld.

Myst V was a big disappointment in most ways, although years later i’m less harsh on it than I was at the time. It’s difficult not to think that the game was a mistake though, esecially the slates, the technology of which just wasn’t precise enough. Story-wise, I didnt like the seeming ‘magic’ exhibited by the Bahro and presentation-wise the 3D worlds weren’t as beautiful as the pre-rendered ones in the earlier games and were of an uneven quality (the game looked like it’s budget ran out, which knowing what was going on with cyan is probably what happened); some ages looked like they were made with technology from 5 years earlier than others. I know that Noloben at least was carried over from Uru and you could tell; it was obviously higher budget than the others and looked gorgeous.

Uru I liked more when I replayed it about a year ago. At the time I didn’t like 3D games at all and certainly hated all the running and jumping, which seemed a real chore to me and very non-Myst-like but now i’m more familiar with keyboard controls (from playing Penumbra and similar games) I realize that those elements were very slight and straightforward. I’ve actually now come to prefer 3D from a gameplay viewpoint. I still don’t particularly care for the D’ni backstory Cyan created but the game itself is very enjoyable to play and there were a few Grade A Mysts ages in there, such as Gahreesen, Teledahn, Ercana, and especially Ahnonay, which was inspired and had a great backstory.

There are enough Myst fans out there that i’m really surprised Cyan haven’t gotten aboard the Kickstarer bandwagon, especially as the last year we’ve suddenly started to see a few Myst-like games start to go into production again. Maybe they just don’t care for the concept of Kickstarter; a view I certainly sympathize with. But it would be great to see them back and showing everyone how it’s done. Can you imagine a Myst game with luscious 3D graphics (the techonolagy may finally be good enough to make it look as beautiful in 3D as Myst IV did pre-rendered) and with Penumbra-style physics gameplay? It would be incredible.

Total Posts: 643

Joined 2006-09-24

PM

Monolith - 22 November 2012 04:01 PM

Is it really a Slideshow game? I only played a bit of it, but isn’t it more FMV and no slideshow? I always thought there was transitional movement like Journeyman Project in that game.

I would think a game can be FMV and still slideshow.

Slideshow basically means first person point and click. Even with 360 degree panning I feel the gameplay mechanics are more or less the same.

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

This might sounds irrelevant but i always wanted to say that about Myst, and this topic seems he best i can for spitting it out :

i myself see also that even Myst Games and all adventures should be recognized by a Sub-Genres not by their perspectives “if is this game a 1st person Adventure or 3rd”

P.S:Myst Series(imo)itself was an experiment that became so famous even Adventure gaming itself was an a experiment from start that needed to make a especial genre for, heavy metal fans can relate by Black Sabbath’s Black Sabbath LP (1970)

Total Posts: 1368

Joined 2012-09-28

PM

TimovieMan - 22 November 2012 02:45 PM

Then I gave Myst yet another chance when they ported it for the DS. WORST… GAME… EVER!!!

I just looked up the DS, not knowing what it was. Do you mean to say you played a Myst game on this? Gasp

Total Posts: 98

Joined 2004-02-16

PM

Yes.

There’s a 3DS version as well (which adds 3D to some scenes)

as well as a PSP (PlayStation Portable) one.

The game was ported to many consoles including PlayStation, Sega Saturn and iPhone.
Riven came out on the original PlayStation, Exile exists for PS2 and Xbox, Revelation on the Xbox.

Madre de Dios, es el Pollo Diablo!

Total Posts: 1368

Joined 2012-09-28

PM

Well, no wonder you hated it! If you gave me the best movie ever made to watch for the first time on a screen smaller than my palm, I’m sure I’d hate it too!

You need something large enough to soak up the atmosphere and feel like you are there.

Total Posts: 880

Joined 2010-02-15

PM

inm8#2 - 22 November 2012 05:22 PM
Monolith - 22 November 2012 04:01 PM

I would think a game can be FMV and still slideshow.

Slideshow basically means first person point and click. Even with 360 degree panning I feel the gameplay mechanics are more or less the same.

Slideshow generally is just a hard/soft transition between two images. What i’m talking about is FMV where everything is animated, so there is actual movement and not hard/soft mechanical transitions.

Stuart Bradley Newsom - Naughty Shinobi || Our Game: Shadow Over Isolation

Total Posts: 1079

Joined 2003-09-30

PM

Agree that even series started as slideshow,animations quality went off the chart in time eg. on Revelation one can see cloud movements and lighting changes on surfaces.

“Going on means going far - Going far means returning”

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

there seem to be an agreement about 2 things 1st the Riven is the Best of the series 2nd End of Ages is the Worst and a disgrace for the Myst IP.

sure i not blind and i can see people/players who do not consider Riven the Best of the series , i can understand why, for all who voted for other than Riven i hope they would accept my apology if my words sounds intruding over their opinions and for speaking of their tongue .

I am sure those have their reasons which could be:
1-Riven is way overrated
2-Riven is such repetitive borning formula of gameplaying which should not get all those credits
3-Riven difficulty is unfair and its not fun at all to be stuck all the time
4-Riven is good enough when talking about its crafting but who is the hell suggested that is could be an adventure game in the 1st place.
5-Riven ..yea i heard about it late enough and when i just tried later it made me wanna puke
6-Riven ..if it was a great game at its time i am sure but it wouldn’t take even a half star rate at these days adventuring standards . 

anyways what i am trying to say that players who love Riven are those who played it when it was still fresh .
and players who hate riven are players who heard about it very late.

IMO

Total Posts: 683

Joined 2010-02-05

PM

Advie - 24 November 2012 03:41 PM

anyways what i am trying to say that players who love Riven are those who played it when it was still fresh .
and players who hate riven are players who heard about it very late.

IMO

Not in my case
I got Myst III a couple of years after its release and played it first, after that I played the rest of them in order.

I Am the Knight of the Order of the Sun!

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Zifnab - 23 November 2012 04:09 AM

Well, no wonder you hated it! If you gave me the best movie ever made to watch for the first time on a screen smaller than my palm, I’m sure I’d hate it too!

You need something large enough to soak up the atmosphere and feel like you are there.

Actually, it was on a DSi, which has a slightly larger screen… Innocent

But more importantly: I had already played Myst for several hours back in the 90s, on a PC with a then-larger-than-usual 17” screen, and I hated it then as well. In fact, IIRC, my friend whose copy I borrowed back then didn’t like it either.

I bought the DS-version a few years ago because it was VERY cheap, and because I decided I should give Myst a second chance. Unfortunately, it turned out to be even worse than the original… Tongue

Also, no dissing the Nintendo DS. Some of the best games of recent years were DS games… Wink
But Myst was not one of them. Naughty

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

Heh. I sometimes wish the target of some of the most fiery and burning hatred in the adventure gaming community was against something other than the most non-violent, tranquil and peace-loving games and gamers in existence.

Only then might we be able to have a reasonably entertaining flamewar for once around here!  Naughty  Content

(Come on Myst fans - ready your weapons!)

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Oscar - 25 November 2012 07:19 AM

Only then might we be able to have a reasonably entertaining flamewar for once around here!  Naughty  Content

Hey, hey, hey, it’s my job to extinguish flamewars here… Wink

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top