• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Sefir

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Games you changed your opinion about

Total Posts: 259

Joined 2004-03-09

PM

Simon_ASA - 23 October 2012 05:26 AM
Agustín Cordes - 21 October 2012 08:40 AM

Myst ( Meh -> Frown -> Embarassed -> Foot in mouth -> Cry -> Sick ) : It just keeps getting worse every year.

Really ? So you don’t really like the Myst series ? I thought you did when I see Asylum.

I never did. I disliked the game from the very moment I tried it in 1993. You have to understand where I come from: to me, Myst had stripped the greatest trait from adventures, which is narrative. Aimless wandering, no sense of purpose, and puzzles mostly depending on trial and error (and I did enjoy some of the logical ones). But still, it didn’t feel like there was any point to the whole thing. Also, don’t get me started on literally one of the worst un-endings in adventures.

An empty shell; that’s what Myst felt to me back in ‘93, and over the years I gave it more than one chance, but nothing has ever changed my opinion.

Senscape // Founder // Designer | Working on: Asylum | Twitter: @AgustinCordes

Total Posts: 1368

Joined 2012-09-28

PM

What about the sequels? They had more storytelling, especially the fourth one.

I don’t know much about narrative, but the Myst worlds felt incredibly vivid to me. The way the books you found slowly revealed more about the worlds was wonderful. Probably the first game experience I could call beautiful. I love them all. Except Uru, I never really got into that one.

I can think of two right now that I changed my mind about:

Tomb of Zojir Mini FrownYum
It took a long time for me to get into the atmosphere, which is essential for any enjoyment of the Last Half of Darkness games. I mistook them for those cheap thrill casual horror games, while they actually are very unique games with a creepy feel that gets under your skin.

Tales of Monkey Island  CoolMeh
I missed this series while it was gone, so I was glad to have anything. By the fifth episode I wasn’t really interested any more. It was fun, but not as much as it should have been. I can’t even remember much about the game now: not a good sign.

Total Posts: 61

Joined 2005-11-23

PM

The original Phantasmagoria. I was so excited to bring a copy home on launch day and totally loved every minute of it. This was Roberta Williams’ new blockbuster and Sierra’s first true big budget FMV title.

But I replayed it recently and think it’s a terrible game! Seriously, what was I thinking back then?! It has a weak story, a complete lack of depth in the gameplay and design department, and the acting is funny when it needs to be dramatic and dramatic when it needs to light up. So many things went wrong here. Worst of all, it features a truckload of bodily fluids and Gothic rock tunes.

GEEEEEEZ!!!  Gasp Thumbs Up  Thumbs Up

Joined 2004-03-09

PM

Zifnab - 23 October 2012 11:42 AM

What about the sequels? They had more storytelling, especially the fourth one.

I felt physical pain while playing Riven. I don’t believe it improved on the narrative aspect, but the reliance on trial and error was much worse. Way too many abstract puzzles and obscenely difficult to boot; but an “unfair” difficulty because many were intricate contraptions with endless combinations. To me a perfect puzzle is one that if you understand the underlying logic or its purpose can be solved immediately. In Riven, even if I knew what had to be done, I still found myself tweaking, and twisting and pushing buttons to make it work. I hate that. RAWR Angry

So if it makes you feel any better, Myst > Riven all the time.

I played a bit of Exile and yes, the story got better but I just wasn’t caring anymore.

Total Posts: 6590

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

It just keeps getting worse every year.

Yet, you still play it each year. Now there’s a fan! Sarcastic

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

Unfair difficulty…aha. So why does Scratches have us wandering around the house waiting for us to do some random event like using the telephone?

Agustín Cordes - 23 October 2012 12:08 PM

To me a perfect puzzle is one that if you understand the underlying logic or its purpose can be solved immediately.

That takes away all the fun.

And trial and error in Riven? I don’t remember any, but if you say so.

Total Posts: 165

Joined 2004-12-30

PM

Agustín Cordes - 23 October 2012 11:09 AM
Simon_ASA - 23 October 2012 05:26 AM

Myst ( Meh -> Frown -> Embarassed -> Foot in mouth -> Cry -> Sick ) : It just keeps getting worse every year.

Really ? So you don’t really like the Myst series ? I thought you did when I see Asylum.

I never did. I disliked the game from the very moment I tried it in 1993. You have to understand where I come from: to me, Myst had stripped the greatest trait from adventures, which is narrative. Aimless wandering, no sense of purpose, and puzzles mostly depending on trial and error (and I did enjoy some of the logical ones). But still, it didn’t feel like there was any point to the whole thing. Also, don’t get me started on literally one of the worst un-endings in adventures.

An empty shell; that’s what Myst felt to me back in ‘93, and over the years I gave it more than one chance, but nothing has ever changed my opinion.

Pretty much how I feel about it. Though I’ve never really given it a second chance, I can’t see my opinion changing because of what you’ve mentioned (abstract puzzles and wandering over story and characters).

Joined 2004-03-09

PM

diego - 23 October 2012 12:13 PM

It just keeps getting worse every year.

Yet, you still play it each year. Now there’s a fan! Sarcastic

LOL UR FUN!! Pan

Oscar - 23 October 2012 12:16 PM

Unfair difficulty…aha. So why does Scratches have us wandering around the house waiting for us to do some random event like using the telephone?

No arguments there. I’ve always held that the first day in Scratches was badly designed.

(Though those events weren’t random and you were supposed to try using the phone following specific cues)

Agustín Cordes - 23 October 2012 12:08 PM

To me a perfect puzzle is one that if you understand the underlying logic or its purpose can be solved immediately.

That takes away all the fun.

I disagree. If it makes you think, then it’s fun. If it makes you experiment with it, then it’s a time waster. For example, fiddling with some obscure mechanism even if you understand what’s the ultimate goal.

I’m not saying time wasters can’t be fun; I play all them all the time on my phone. It’s just not what I look for in an adventure game.

I say so. Here, allow me to refresh your memory:

Pay attention to the comments around the 7:00 mark. “I don’t know it did that… This should be it, right?”. That whole puzzle relies on fiddling. Trying one button, understanding what it does, then performing another action, trying again the same button, rinse and repeat. It’s the basis of trial and error and pretty much every puzzle in Riven is like that: understanding how a mechanism works.

Total Posts: 247

Joined 2012-05-21

PM

But that “fiddling” as you call it is the process of “understanding the underlying logic” of the mechanism. Once you understand that underlying logic, you CAN solve it immediately, which is what you claim is the mark of a good puzzle. Am I to understand that you want the underlying logic to be immediately obvious as well? Then where’s the “puzzle” aspect? Mechanical puzzles like that may not be to your taste, but they SEEM like they (at least when well designed) fit your expressed criteria.

I can understand having a problem with the storytelling (or lack thereof), but for my part, the puzzles in Riven are exactly what I want from a puzzle, where logic and observation (including observation of how things work) can lead you to the solution. For me, the bad kind of “trial and error” is where you just HAVE to keep trying stuff until you hit upon the right answer (often found in dialogue trees), because there is no internal logic you could use to deduce it from observation. I don’t recall any of that in Riven. (There were some things you COULD solve that way, if you failed to recognize the underlying logic, but that seems more realistic to me, anyway, than making the thing work ONLY if you follow a certain path.)

As to the original question, I can’t think of any examples for myself, other than from a purely technical standpoint. Which is to say that I don’t think I’ve ever disliked a game, only to like it later, and when games I’ve liked have been less favored on a replay, it is usually because either a.) I remember too much of the solutions to make it as enjoyable as the first time (which to me doesn’t really count as a strike against the game), or b.) because I’ve gotten so used to better graphics/smoother interfaces/etc. that an extremely old game that I enjoyed when I first played it can become a bit less appealing when played years later simply due to the technology not aging well from my standpoint (and I don’t really count THAT as a flaw in the GAME, either).

Joined 2004-03-09

PM

Mister Ed - 23 October 2012 01:19 PM

But that “fiddling” as you call it is the process of “understanding the underlying logic” of the mechanism. Once you understand that underlying logic, you CAN solve it immediately, which is what you claim is the mark of a good puzzle. Am I to understand that you want the underlying logic to be immediately obvious as well? Then where’s the “puzzle” aspect? Mechanical puzzles like that may not be to your taste, but they SEEM like they (at least when well designed) fit your expressed criteria.

I can understand having a problem with the storytelling (or lack thereof), but for my part, the puzzles in Riven are exactly what I want from a puzzle, where logic and observation (including observation of how things work) can lead you to the solution. For me, the bad kind of “trial and error” is where you just HAVE to keep trying stuff until you hit upon the right answer (often found in dialogue trees), because there is no internal logic you could use to deduce it from observation. I don’t recall any of that in Riven. (There were some things you COULD solve that way, if you failed to recognize the underlying logic, but that seems more realistic to me, anyway, than making the thing work ONLY if you follow a certain path.)

It’s not quite what I mean. There are puzzles and puzzles, and to some extent all of them require some “probing”. My biggest issue with Myst/Riven puzzles is that it never feels like you’re achieving any progress, just fiddling until you get it.

I’m over-generalizing here, yes, and I won’t get into discussing every puzzle individually, but the video I posted above is a great example of what I mean. Here we have a strange mechanism that doesn’t make sense; let’s try and make sense out of it. So we move a lever and see what it does. Yay, it brings up a panel. Now we push one of those buttons. I see, it rotates the view. OK, let’s try the other lever. Kewl, another panel. Now I should push all those buttons. But what happens if I try another view? And so on.

There’s no reasoning. Just try and see what happens to understand the logic. When there’s reasoning, once you know the solution, you can solve the puzzle immediately. There was not a time in Myst or Riven when I felt that “AHA! I GOT IT!” sense of wonder. Solving those puzzles felt like work. I can’t think of a better way to describe this type of gameplay; it just feels like you’re working.

An example of a fine puzzle that appeals to your reasoning is the Babel Fish puzzle in Hitchkicker’s Guide to the Galaxy. It’s so good that it was pretty much copied in Eric the Unready. In the puzzle there’s a vending machine that spits a fish you need to get, so fast that it flies across the room and into a hole. Each time you try to block its path, the fish just bounces and disappears in other ways. In the final step of the puzzle the fish is taken away by two cleaning robots, one in the floor, the other in the ceiling. You have a satchel that can block the robot below, but then the fish keeps flying up where the other robot catches it.

What step must be taken to ensure that the upper robot doesn’t get in the way? This is one of the greatest examples of lateral thinking in adventure games: you put junk mail inside the satchel, so that when the lower robot hits the satchel the mail flies across the room and the upper robot goes crazy trying to get it. Pure deduction, no tinkering. You have to think about the puzzle, and once you finally understand its logic that last step is a beautiful moment.

I’m reasonable. I can’t expect every puzzle to be as perfectly executed as the Babel Fish one, but the Myst world is the complete opposite: cold machinery that leaves no room for deduction.

tl;dr: In a well designed puzzle, you should be able to understand what the lever does before you try it.

PS: Sorry for derailing the topic, that’s what you get when you ask me about Myst Neutral

PPS: For another example of a perfect puzzle where the solution can be deduced, google Beach VR in Gateway.

Total Posts: 247

Joined 2012-05-21

PM

Guess we’ll just have to agree to disagree on this one. Multiple times throughout MANY Myst games I got exactly the “Aha! I got it!” feeling you are describing. I’m still not seeing the difference you are seeing. The machines in Riven ARE logical in their function. Your Babel fish example, on the other hand, is the exact opposite, it seems to me. You are basically just forced to try everything until something works. There ISN’T any really rigorous logic to it at all, as far as I can see. If THAT isn’t repeated fiddling until you get the desired result, I don’t know what is. The reason the solution works is because that’s the solution somebody decided would work, not so much any rigorous internal logic to the environment or puzzle. That doesn’t necessarily make it a BAD puzzle, it is actually very amusing, but it does feel like a puzzle where you just eventually luck into the answer by trying everything, which ISN’T the experience I got with Riven at all.

The statement that, in a well designed puzzle you should be able to tell what the lever does before you pull it seems nonsensical to me. That’s like saying that, every step of the way in the Babel fish puzzle you mentioned, you should already know what will happen before you take each action. That is not at ALL the case, and in THAT case, you appear to enjoy the process of trying something, seeing what happens, and using that information to decide what to do next. But in Myst or Riven, you should already know what will happen before pulling the lever?

I’m not trying to argue you into liking Riven. That would be pointless, and there’s no reason everybody should like the same thing. But I’m just failing to see how your distinction between “good” and “bad” puzzles is actually applied.

Ah well, like I said, agree to disagree. I guess this is a derailment, so I’ll stop now, too.

Total Posts: 946

Joined 2005-06-02

PM

I agree with both of you. The kind of insight puzzle Agustin describes is a nice AHA! experience. But Mister Ed is right too: the Babelfish puzzle has no rigorous internal logic. It’s a hypothesis… they’re cleaning robots, what happens if I make them clean something… AHA it works!

For me, one of the most exhilerating AHA! experiences was the non-approved flight in Obsidian, maybe the best Mystlike puzzle game ever. (Which proves that out-of-the-box puzzles are not confined to the games Agustin likes.  Tongue) One of the themes of Obsidian is being a rebel. So when a metallic voice tells you to follow a certain procedure, you must ignore it. Then you have to apply the strategy (not a specific solution!) of a hide-and-seek game learned earlier. A leap of insight at its best, not a hypothesis like in the Babelfish, because once you see it, there can be no doubt this is the correct solution. I’m sure it sounds easier than it actually is. The two sequences don’t look similar at first sight and lateral thinking is required. For most people, this was the most difficult, even “unfair” puzzle of the game.

I found discovering the logic of Riven very satisfying. Insight and lateral thinking are great, but I wouldn’t want all puzzles to be like that. Looking for pure trial-and-error? Play Culpa Innata. It has a few nice puzzles, but the overwhelming majority is shit. Open a gate by pulling left, then right, left again, up, right, in.

BTW, I’d love to hear Agustin’s and Mister Ed’s opinion of Discworld 1, which had a weird but wonderful kind of logic.

Now playing: ——-
Recently finished: don’t remember
Up next:  Eh…
Looking forward to:
Ithaka of the Clouds; The Last Crown; all the kickstarter adventure games I supported

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

Agustín Cordes - 23 October 2012 01:09 PM

I say so. Here, allow me to refresh your memory:

Pay attention to the comments around the 7:00 mark. “I don’t know it did that… This should be it, right?”. That whole puzzle relies on fiddling. Trying one button, understanding what it does, then performing another action, trying again the same button, rinse and repeat. It’s the basis of trial and error and pretty much every puzzle in Riven is like that: understanding how a mechanism works.

I see what you mean now. In a sense, all puzzles are trial and error. You must hate all games with an inventory - it’s impossible to know if an inventory item will work on an object without trying it. I was recently playing Simon the Sorcerer and I was surprised how many times the way I solved a puzzle was by simply trying items on objects without having any prior logic, by trial and error. Sometimes I was 100% convinced something would work, and it didn’t.

If you are capable of understanding a machine, if it has a logic that can be determined from playing around with it, that’s one of the most exciting type of puzzle I can come across in a game. A perfect puzzle will, to me, have perfect logic. Riven does. That’s why I hate most inventory puzzles, because there’s no reason I should do one action instead of another except at the protagonist’s obscured whim.

But if you have to enter a 5-digit code to a safe by guessing without getting any clues from the world, that’s a bad puzzle. No arguments there.

Fien - 23 October 2012 08:47 PM

BTW, I’d love to hear Agustin’s and Mister Ed’s opinion of Discworld 1, which had a weird but wonderful kind of logic.

All I can say is… the Butterfly Puzzle. It’s one I never would have been able to solve without a walkthrough, yet I still can’t quite bring myself to say it was a crap one, or unfair. I still don’t think there were enough clues for it though.

Another example of “good” trial and error is Botanicula. All you do is click on things to find out what they do, and from there you have to observe what happens to be able to work out the right order of clicks. Very Mystlike.

Total Posts: 487

Joined 2012-10-03

PM

This convesation about puzzles is interesting, maybe it could become another thread ?

I read all your arguments, and I find them a bit difficult to follow in english, but I think I got your point of view Agustin.
I know why most people don’t like Myst games : there’s nothing to follow and help them (scenario, tip, characters)... The freedom I do like in this kind of games can become a problem if you don’t like to take your time to observe. And when I say “taking your time”, I really mean “a lot of time”. If you don’t immerse body and soul in this peculiar world, you will miss a lot of the fun. True, some of the puzzles are to be solved strangely by turning levers, BUT most of the time you can find a very good logic. I remember in Riven this building filled with boiling water that you had to purge with levers. You just don’t know which levers unless you try them. You can solve this randomly, but you can also take your time to observe : one lever makes a certain sound, another shows a small animation, etc… If you put end to end these small details, you can solve the thing logically, and from the first time.

I don’t know enough about Myst 1 to give my opinion about the puzzles. But I can give my point about Riven. Everything in Riven IS logic. If you take notes and understand the world, the link between things, then you will solve the puzzles. True, there’s a lot of wandering, but I find this wandering in every adventure game !
Look at my Riven “roadmap” :

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-XOBf4EZsAJk/UH_YMc_h7RI/AAAAAAAAAag/bQ2hAkzwjRg/s1600/rivenroadmap.jpg 

I noticed on it everything I thought useful (and it was years ago, I would probably write more now). As a result, I understood the way the world was built and I could finish the game without walkthrough, and almost (true, I have to write “alsmot”) every puzzle seemed logic and well thought.
But you know, what’s really interesting in the Myst series is that you’re left on your own in a totally unknown world. That’s exactly the point : not knowing what to do and finding your way by yourself. So it’s not surprising that some puzzles are strange : imagine you put an alien in a human factory and ask him to push the buttons you know so well in the right order, in order he turns the robots on. Well, if he can’t read the explanations and doesn’t know what button does what, he will have the same resulat than anyone playing Myst. That’s what I feel “realist” in this kind of game.

Joined 2004-03-09

PM

Sorry that I took long to return…

Well, different strokes, etc. A puzzle that works great for some folks may be a huge miss for another group. There’s probably a scientific research here waiting to happen!

What I prefer all the way are puzzles that rely on your intuition. Fien used the perfect wording: it’s insight vs. logic. The Babel Fish puzzle is far-fetched, but once you understand its internal logic that last step can be performed out of insight and not trial and error. Yes, it’s a hypothesis, but if the puzzle is well-designed it’s an exhilarating moment because you just KNOW that it’s going to work.

This is what I meant by that obscure analogy: “you should be able to understand what the lever does before you pull it”. The beach VR puzzle in Legend’s Gateway has always fascinated me. You must experiment with the environment and understand what’s going on to break the system. It’s a difficult puzzle, but once you understand its logic the solution is pure beauty. It’s your gut feeling telling you that it’s going to work.

I felt none of that in Myst/Riven puzzling because it’s cold logic: “so if this symbol belongs to this thing here, then this other symbol must belong to this other thing here”. I swear, you could analyze every one of those puzzles and notice that most of them depend on this sort of mechanic:

- Set first condition.
- Test action A.
- Set second condition.
- Test action B.
- If B doesn’t work, set third condition.
- If B works, test action A again.
- If A doesn’t work, set fourth condition.
- Rinse and repeat.

It’s probing, probing, probing until all pieces fit in place. I much prefer a puzzle that can be solved by pure intuition. And trust me, those are truly the most difficult ones to design. A logic puzzle can be boring or great. An insightful puzzle can be terrible or legendary.

As for individual games:

Yeah, I do know that crazy puzzles can be found in Myst-clones Tongue

I played a bit of Obsidian and was fascinated by its setup. But then it quickly turned into another weird fantasy game with abstract puzzles and the market was too crowded with them at the moment, so I instantly lost interest. Maybe I should give it another chance one day but it’s really, really not my thing…

For instance, I had high hopes for Kairo which I tried recently and the surreal environments were breathtaking, but the gameplay rather “meh” to me. Again, aimless wandering around, logic puzzles here and there, putting it all together but still no narrative whatsoever. Even if there is a plot, it doesn’t blend with the gameplay in any way. The one Myst-clone that I really loved is Zork Nemesis. I’m not sure why; its mood hit the right chords with me, and maybe the puzzles weren’t that Myst-like.

And Discworld: it’s been a long time since I played it and only did once, so I can’t quite remember any particular puzzle. Overall, I loved the game. I also got that feeling of nonsensical yet satisfactory puzzling.

OK, that’s it. I’m stopping now because I owe JackVanian an interview and if he sees me writing this much in the forum he’s gonna kick my arse…

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top