• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

What game have you just finished?

Total Posts: 1663

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

Doom - 28 July 2022 08:53 AM
Jdawg445 - 27 July 2022 09:20 PM

I played the game for the first time 2 yrs ago, and also really liked it a lot, found it very charming. Funny enough the last chapter was the weakest to me bc i dont like playing multiple characters at once. Same reason i didnt love resonance.

I’m also not the biggest fan of multiple protagonists in games, but I really enjoyed how it was done in LH. The transition was quick and easy, there were no “special abilities” or change in mood, the characters just worked together in order to reach one clear goal.

You’re right though the background art was amazing. Especially loved all the scenes in the jungle. I heard the sequel was not near as good but I have not played it yet can’t wait to see what you think about it.

Total Posts: 2078

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

Lost Horizon 2 turned out such a mixed bag. I could only guess they were making final touches to the gameplay when the publisher told them it’s not modern enough and needs more variety and cinematic stuff like in Uncharted. So they threw away the old engine, half of the puzzles along with the storyline and chaotically added all sort of mechanics they saw in other games. As a result LH2 looks rushed and unpolished. There’s a serious lack of interesting locations, cutscenes are poorly directed, animation is minimalistic and often broken, and so are the new features, like a hand simulator reminiscent of Myst 4 when we open a door or turn a switch by dragging mouse. It activates randomly (90% of actions are still performed by a simple click) and has a very alien feel as the game switches from third person to the buggy first person mode.

There are stealth and timed sequences now, with a ticking clock and a death message if we fail, also very random, unexciting and buggy. I once failed and clicked on an item while the death message was playing, it suddenly disappeared along with the clock and I finished the sequence in peace. They even tried adding QTE at one point, but it worked so badly they never returned to it again. There is also an item combinator mode borrowed from Mysterious Island and other Kheops games and used to solve maybe 4 puzzles in the whole game, like combining items in inventory wasn’t fun enough. Inventory, on the other hand, became far less responsive despite it grows so fast that we soon end up with a huge reel of items, and almost half of them are red herrings! So many stillborn ideas.

If LH1 was adventure gamer’s Raiders of the Lost Ark, then LH2 is The Crystal Skull, it’s similarly frustrating and unamusing, the story plays like a chain of unconnected events, and the fact that it takes place 20 years after it’s predecessor makes it even worse: instead of the 30 y.o. adventerious daredevil we now play as a beaten MI6 superagent in his 50s who only wants to be a good father for his grown-up daughter. There are boring Mossad and Soviet agents all over the place, a trip to a Scandinavian graveyard, a maze-like German bunker and the Red Square with a secret KGB laboratory inside the Lenin’s mausoleum, while almost every chapter ends with someone shooting someone in the head, because headshots add to the cool factor.

The last part that takes place around Yggdrasil (a sacred tree from the Norse mythology) was too much for me. The game suddenly decided it wasn’t brutal enough, forgot all those proud innovations and turned into a tedious Myst clone mixed with inventory puzzles, Tunguska-style. I gave up after being forced to make a bow from a pair of jeans, a wet stick and a gun cleaning metal rod (and not even in the combinator mode!) and watched the rest on Youtube. LH2 has its moments, especially during the 2nd chapter that takes place in Germany and plays more or less like the first game, but it fails even as a proper sequel. That elderly tired man is not the Fenton Paddock I once knew.

PC means personal computer

Total Posts: 506

Joined 2014-08-01

PM

I finished Disco Elysium.
It’s definitely a unique game. Before playing it I had no idea what it was about so everything was a surprise, but especially what surprised me the most was not so much the loaded dialogues or even the decadent atmosphere but the deeply political plot, I don’t think I’ve ever played a game like this before.

The freedom we have to adopt a political ideology and base our dialogue and responses on that basis. It encourages us to think and reflect on the world, the world in which the character moves is not just a background, a lifeless stage, it is a character in itself. And understanding it is part of the game. Whether or not that has an impact on the ending we get I really don’t know. But there is no hero, and I love that.

It is not only about solving the murder case, but this became almost secondary in my case and I found myself interested in understanding what lies behind Revachol and the consequences of its decadence and misery. All this without leaving aside the human aspect and the own existential confusion of the character.

I got an ending that maybe wasn’t the one I would have liked (Kim was shot and I had to recruit Cuno.), or rather it didn’t convince me completely but it was ok. At one point I thought about loading an old game to get a different outcome with which I felt more comfortable but then I gave up that idea and I preferred to continue/live with the “mistakes” I made. I’m not going to say it’s an excellent game but I enjoyed it, of that I have no doubt.

” I remember. Somebody died. It was me.”
~

Total Posts: 46

Joined 2020-12-03

PM

Whispers of a machine - 4/5
Great game from the same studio/publisher as Kathy Rain. Engaging story and characters, challenging but fair puzzles, rather innovative game mechanics for a classic PnC adventure with the augmentations. On the downside it’s rather short, some game mechanics (like the branching through choices) feel underdeveloped and the iOS version looks blurry because the lower resolution original graphics were upscaled for the high-res retina displays, so not the best version on Apple devices.

Total Posts: 524

Joined 2022-02-22

PM

The Forgotten City

I’m a bit sorry I didn’t play this before the top 100 poll, because it might well have made my list. I didn’t expect to love the time-travel plot which was complicated and long-winded for my tastes, but I’m aware others will adore it. Where the game excels is the characters, which are some of the most fleshed-out, lived-in and relatable I’ve seen in a game. The voice acting is impeccable and the animation is top notch, right down to the facial expressions and mouth movements. The other area I appreciated was the historical research which went into it. I always want to learn something from the games I play, and I sure learned a few things here. The story’s background is convincing enough that I might have expected scholarly books to be written on some of the ground the game covers. Obviously it’s a work of fiction, but the parts that aren’t and the more speculative aspects, for someone like me with no archaeological background, are impressive. It also has one of the most satisfying finales I’ve played. Highly recommended.

AKA Charo

Total Posts: 417

Joined 2018-03-07

PM

Forgotten City is fantastic, played it just after another time loop adventure (12 Minutes) and it was interesting to see the completely different design approaches to the same concept. Especially in regards to how Forgotten City intelligently keeps your progress throughout multiple loops.

Total Posts: 284

Joined 2013-02-26

PM

Doom - 29 July 2022 10:12 PM

Lost Horizon 2 turned out such a mixed bag.

Definitely agree with this. I loved the first game and in all honesty had seen that the sequel had received a very mixed reaction from fans. The highlight for me was the puzzle involving paintings and dates, very clever and satisfying to solve, but the rest mostly felt like a made-for-TV movie with the odd gameplay section thrown in, sometimes seemingly at random. I haven’t quite finished it but your description of some of the end sequence puzzles make me hesitate to go and try to do the last bit!!

Total Posts: 115

Joined 2009-05-12

PM

Speaking of loops I just finished Outer Wilds. I tried it around the time it came out following all the reviews and recommendations but for some reason I couldn’t get into it. I think the feeling of having to rush while exploring put me off along with the controls. I kept landing where I didn’t mean to and falling or dying and losing the trail of what I was doing… But I decided to give it another go this year and it finally clicked. What an amazing experience I won’t soon forget. I definitely agree now with all the praises, the feeing of exploration and discovery are definitely just amazing. Also was it just me or did it also feel very scary at times, but like a cosmic, existential kind of scary. I’ll be moving onto the DLC now Smile

Total Posts: 7449

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Good for you, danigar. Yes, an amazing, emotional, and sometimes even scary experience. In my top ten.

Story about good. Story about bad. - The Neverhood

Joined 2022-02-22

PM

danigar - 30 August 2022 07:35 PM

Speaking of loops I just finished Outer Wilds. I tried it around the time it came out following all the reviews and recommendations but for some reason I couldn’t get into it. I think the feeling of having to rush while exploring put me off

That’s what killed Outer Wilds for me too. I really appreciated the relaxed feel of Forgotten City and having as much time as I needed to investigate.

(Except for one of the paths where I stole the golden bow, but the game warned me about that and it wasn’t at all necessary to complete the game. I should have listened.)

AKA Charo

Total Posts: 343

Joined 2012-03-13

PM

Finished Lord Winklebottom Investigates, a game I had supported on Kickstarter. This is a game that actually turned out even better than I had hoped for. First, what it is not. It is not a long game, a hard game, or an edgy and gritty game.

I found it charming, funny, and very well put together.  The music, the characters, graphics, dialogue and voice acting all seemed to work in sync with each other. Not sure I can characterize the mystery as standard, although it started out that way, but I liked the direction it took. So, if you have been looking for a game in which a giraffe and a hippo solve a crime you might want to take look.

Total Posts: 93

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

Finished Immortality which I’d now consider a 5-star all-time great adventure game classic. Her Story and Telling Lies were good but this is on another level, an extremely layered and unpredictable horror game about the movies. Best to go in knowing as little as possible.

Total Posts: 7449

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Sam Barlow is great at telling stories with unexpected twists and I enjoy his novel gameplay mechanics very much. I thought I had Immortality wishlisted but no. I forgot all about it, so thanks for reminding me. I immediately bought it and played it for an hour. Loving it so far.

Story about good. Story about bad. - The Neverhood

Joined 2022-02-22

PM

Loved his previous games, didn’t even know about Immortality until now. Curious why you say it’s horror SamandMax, the Steam page just mentions supernatural themes. Without revealing too much, is it particularly strong/disturbing stuff? There are a few people on the discussions saying there’s some very creepy scenes, which might be a dealbreaker for me.

AKA Charo

Total Posts: 93

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

Charophycean - 04 September 2022 08:25 AM

Loved his previous games, didn’t even know about Immortality until now. Curious why you say it’s horror SamandMax, the Steam page just mentions supernatural themes. Without revealing too much, is it particularly strong/disturbing stuff? There are a few people on the discussions saying there’s some very creepy scenes, which might be a dealbreaker for me.

It’s not outright shocking or gory or anything like that. It’s not Phantasmagoria or Amnesia. I would say it’s horror in the sense that the game is a mystery, and there’s a lot of fear and dread in the unknown, especially if you have an active imagination.

Something I would add is that one of the credited writers on the game co-wrote Lost Highway with David Lynch and I think Lost Highway, Twin Peaks and Mulholland Drive are good comparisons for its creepy tone.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top