• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

The Top 100 - what changes would you make?

Total Posts: 190

Joined 2010-09-01

PM

Lady Kestrel - 21 June 2022 12:59 PM

I was thinking of a yearly list, posted in the forums, that would be ranked simply by the number of votes a game received.  The inclusion of star rankings, game descriptions, or screenshots is not something I’d want to take on.

My dream result of this project is the adventure game version of this:
Resetera’s Top 101 Essential RPGs.
I love the formatting and detail that was put into compiling the rankings on that list and I would be willing to volunteer some time if it’s possible to aim for this larger scope.

Total Posts: 5054

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Karlok came up with 65 games over the last ten years. I play, at most 4 or 5 games/year, exclusive of the CPTs. So I would max out at either 40 or 50 games, total. And I know that not all of them were good. So subtract 10 from that. Of the remaining 30 or 40 maybe half would be good enough to put on a Top 100 list. The resulting list would be that no more than 15 or 20 games would be worthy of replacing games on the “current” Top 100 list. My guess is that the leaders of this project would be looking for lists much larger than mine.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 96

Joined 2017-12-26

PM

GateKeeper - 21 June 2022 02:31 PM

Anyway, there are ways to make games run without Steam client, in fact, there are thousands of games on Steam that don’t have any third party DRM or forced client dependencies.

All the games that I have from Steam (far, far too many) run without Steam.
The only risk is that I don;t have all games locally installed. If Steam would go bust, I would loose them.

But I don;t see Valve go bust that easily…

Total Posts: 84

Joined 2012-06-18

PM

TheLongestJourney - 21 June 2022 04:48 PM

Amazing list of RPGs. Thanks for sharing Thumbs Up

Total Posts: 860

Joined 2017-12-19

PM

cozyhome - 22 June 2022 04:43 AM

It’s an interesting read.

Although that list seems kind of strange, but since I’m not an RPG expert, I may be ignorant about things, and simply not understand all that intricate stuff.

Still, if there’s World of Warcraft and Pokémon games on the same list, they have apparently had very loose inclusion criteria, allowing online games and portable games.

That said, I find it very strange that the list doesn’t have even a single Ultima game on it, not to mention one of the longest running MMORPGs, RuneScape.
But they have several Pokémon games, some even grouped into same entry (and yes, I know those games have those special features where they are released at the same time, and you can exchange stuff and all).

It’s a good thing that I’m not a hardcore RPG fan, or I might even feel the need to correct that list too!  Laughing

There is an interesting Top 100 FPS list too.

http://www.ign.com/lists/shooters

And with that, I 100 % agree with their #1 pick!  Thumbs Up

Interestingly, Deus Ex is on both of those lists, so quite a game.

Total Posts: 2088

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

GateKeeper - 22 June 2022 05:26 AM

You do understand that the RPG list is based on players’ voting, why it’s so relatable to the topic discussed here (and Ultima games are not that highly regarded among mass RPG players), unlike your IGN action top, right?

PC means personal computer

Total Posts: 320

Joined 2022-05-09

PM

thoughts for a guideline about a good top 100 list:

a) the list should represent the best adventures, you recommend today.
b) everyone can participate, like users and staff. no idea if non forum members work.
c) >> name up to 100 adventures you feel strong about for valid reasons.
d) an adventure can be any type of game as long as there is a strong adventure element in it.
e) the list is divided into zones, like: 6,7,8,9,10 (okayish, good, very good, great, something special).
f) >> rate your adventures (6,7,8,9,10). *update* better use the full scale 1-10.
g) a game’s value = the sum of the ratings for a game / amount of votes.
h) place the games, according to their score, in their zones, consideration: 10 samples 7*10+9+8+7 mostly expresses a 10, in order not to lose a zone, lower zone borders a tiny little bit, like >=9.4 or 9.π zone 10 | >=8.4 or 8.π zone 9 | >=7.4 or 7.π zone 8 | >=6.4 or 6.π zone 7 | >=5.4 or 5.π zone 6.
order within a zone might be due to: alphabetic order, release date, number of votes or the position after decimal point but avoid pseudo-accuracy. kiss!
i) further info, if a game might be right for you, is provided via text (description, running tech, links) and media. who’s writing, copy-editing this?

funky stuff:

z) >> each voter could be given up to 3 smart votes where a vote counts double or triple (depending on how many people participate [estimation?]).
y) >> in case important games are missing, overrule for 10 games (by forum agreement, hahah!).
x) >> keeping the list up to date, once, maybe twice a year when there are relevant releases.

Total Posts: 31

Joined 2018-02-08

PM

Wouldn’t it be better to score the games 1-10, accumulate all votes and normalize the result?

Message #43

Total Posts: 320

Joined 2022-05-09

PM

Hmm. You have a point if you assume that people also vote for less than good games for a top list (serving as a corrective factor). There is a difference between a top and a release list. In the first you only want good games to be. It should be possible that the result comes up with 100, at least good, adventure games. If you also want to provide lower scores, you’ll need the full scale. Anyway the thing scales. I mean, next step would be okayish games, for a top list. But yeah, why not. You gain more flexibility for some more work.

Total Posts: 31

Joined 2018-02-08

PM

You have a point, but you can still enforce a lower limit if you want to prevent people from actively “downvoting”. There isn’t any more work to normalization than averaging though, the difference is that the former asserts that the top scoring game gets a full score, and all the other games are scored with that as a reference point.

Either way it’s just a choice of algorithm. If you have the scores in a spreadsheet you could do both and see what makes most sense.

Message #43

Total Posts: 5844

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

meteor - 22 June 2022 10:10 AM

z) >> each voter could be given up to 3 smart votes where a vote counts double or triple (depending on how many people participate [estimation?]).
y) >> in case important games are missing, overrule for 10 games (by forum agreement, hahah!).
x) >> keeping the list up to date, once, maybe twice a year when there are relevant releases.

I don’t agree with some aspects of `y’. If important games are missing who is deciding that they are? ... & also if they’re missing maybe they’re not that important to the voters??  Laughing

Overrule by forum agreement? Are you kidding!!  Laughing  Laughing  Laughing

`x’: It would be a lot of work so twice year (even once a year) unless anyone’s dedicated to doing that is a tall order.  Smile

Total Posts: 417

Joined 2018-03-07

PM

* Should this be flexible, a broad interpretation rather than narrow?

Rather than defining what an adventure game is in totality, I think it would be easier to settle on a list of agreeable archetypes like “infocom style text adventure,” “classical P&C,” “Japanese adventure,” “Myst-like,” etc. Styles of games that are commonly accepted in the canon of adventure gaming, then have entries refer to one of the categories.

** Could this include consoles or other systems?

I think it should include any platform that has what somebody considers the best adventure game. Some of my favorite adventure games, like Another Code, are console exclusive so any list without them would be lacking IMO.

Total Posts: 5613

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

I was thinking of something simpler than what you’re proposing, Meteor.  Although my designation is administrator, I don’t have enough access to the workings of the site to create a webpage like the top 100 one that currently exists nor do I want to take on the chore of editing text and other headaches that would go with it.   

I pictured an annual list of favorite games with the one with the most recommendations as #1 and the one with the least as #100.  I’m not sure, but a member who would be willing to provide a list of their favorite games might not feel like trying to rate them.  If the consensus is that ratings are necessary, then it might be best to limit the lists to fewer games, maybe 25-30.

Difficult roads often lead to beautiful destinations.

Total Posts: 190

Joined 2010-09-01

PM

GateKeeper - 22 June 2022 05:26 AM
cozyhome - 22 June 2022 04:43 AM

It’s an interesting read.

Although that list seems kind of strange, but since I’m not an RPG expert, I may be ignorant about things, and simply not understand all that intricate stuff.

Still, if there’s World of Warcraft and Pokémon games on the same list, they have apparently had very loose inclusion criteria, allowing online games and portable games.

That said, I find it very strange that the list doesn’t have even a single Ultima game on it, not to mention one of the longest running MMORPGs, RuneScape.
But they have several Pokémon games, some even grouped into same entry (and yes, I know those games have those special features where they are released at the same time, and you can exchange stuff and all).

It’s a good thing that I’m not a hardcore RPG fan, or I might even feel the need to correct that list too!  Laughing

There is an interesting Top 100 FPS list too.

http://www.ign.com/lists/shooters

And with that, I 100 % agree with their #1 pick!  Thumbs Up

Interestingly, Deus Ex is on both of those lists, so quite a game.

Right, Resetera is a very console-centric forum (which is why there are not a lot of adventure game fans there) but I like that the list tells you the type of RPG in the description so you can ignore the subgenres you’re less interested in. If you’re looking for a more CRPG-focused list you might enjoy the RPGCcodex one, but I didn’t want to link there since their forums skew more alt-right.

It also gets to the point of what games are eligible for voting and which subgenres of adventure games are allowed. Do we go just by what is in the Adventure Gamers database? It seems like they have expanded the scope of what they consider to be adventure games lately by including more walking simulators and Japanese style adventure games (more commonly known as visual novels in the west) which have less of a focus on puzzles. There’s also games that blend genres even more.

Having a broader set of games is great, as long as things that could be deal breakers to some like (Is there combat?, Are there timed sequences? Can you die? Can the game be played with just a mouse?) are disclosed so people can know to filter them out.

Total Posts: 5844

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Lady Kestrel - 22 June 2022 05:26 PM

I was thinking of something simpler than what you’re proposing, Meteor.  Although my designation is administrator, I don’t have enough access to the workings of the site to create a webpage like the top 100 one that currently exists nor do I want to take on the chore of editing text and other headaches that would go with it.   

I pictured an annual list of favorite games with the one with the most recommendations as #1 and the one with the least as #100.  I’m not sure, but a member who would be willing to provide a list of their favorite games might not feel like trying to rate them.  If the consensus is that ratings are necessary, then it might be best to limit the lists to fewer games, maybe 25-30.

Well, my thought is to appraise nominations from anything up from 1 - 100!.... so would there be any reason to limit?

I’m not sure I want to appraise though by giving scores. So many games are on a par with each other it would be difficult. 

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top