• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Veovis

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Return to Monkey island by Ron Gilbert : 19 september 2022

Total Posts: 172

Joined 2011-06-03

PM

Vegetable Party - 10 May 2022 01:48 PM

Is there a fight song for heated internet debates about entertainment?

Total Posts: 411

Joined 2018-09-09

PM

Vegetable Party - 10 May 2022 01:48 PM

I wonder who will create the music for this game.

Michael Land, Peter McConnell and Clint Bajakian.  All three are stalwarts of creating the soundtracks for the previous Monkey Island games, as well as many other titles from LucasArts’ back catalogue.

PREVIOUS VIDEOGAME SOUNDTRACKS THE TRIO HAVE WORKED ON

Michael Land

Peter McConnell

Clint Bajakian

Total Posts: 2454

Joined 2019-12-22

PM

oh that’s awesome. ‘

@Jawa: lol, that’ll do it Cool

Total Posts: 530

Joined 2022-02-22

PM

Yeah, the Michael Land news is just freaking fantastic. I’d buy the game just to get to listen to that.

AKA Charo

Total Posts: 5057

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Jawa - 10 May 2022 12:46 AM

You might be happy to, it seems Ron Gilbert is not.

I think one of the best CPTs I participated in recently was Nelly Cootalot: The Fowl Fleet. The artistic direction was certainly influenced by Chuck Jones. The graphics had Pepe Le Pew written all over it. Sorry that Ron doesn’t like that style. Allow me to say that I might not like his style either.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2011-06-03

PM

rtrooney - 10 May 2022 09:27 PM

Sorry that Ron doesn’t like that style. Allow me to say that I might not like his style either.

Which is a perfectly acceptable thing to do. I don’t like it either.

Total Posts: 35

Joined 2022-05-07

PM

I feel the style is a grower not a shower for me.

I wasn’t sure of it at first. But the more time i have to look at it the more it grows on me.

Some of my favourite games, art, shows, foods, drinks are grower’s.

The comment Ron made that alot of people loved the style after an hour of play sounds right to me.

I have a feeling when we get our hands on the game it will click for us.

Joined 2018-09-09

PM

Toymafia1988 - 12 May 2022 03:11 AM

I wasn’t sure of it at first. But the more time i have to look at it the more it grows on me.

Same here.  I really wasn’t sold on the art style at first, but one of the very first things which I said was that it could be a Wind Waker type of situation (i.e. an art style which repels a lot of fans upon reveal but then becomes hailed as one of the greatest art styles from the entire franchise) and indeed the more I look at those screenshots, the more I’m warming to the art style.  Then again, maybe it’s just Stockholm Syndrome Crazy

Joined 2022-05-07

PM

St_Eddie - 12 May 2022 06:25 AM
Toymafia1988 - 12 May 2022 03:11 AM

Same here.  I really wasn’t sold on the art style at first, but one of the very first things which I said was that it could be a Wind Waker type of situation (i.e. an art style which repels a lot of fans upon reveal but then becomes hailed as one of the greatest art styles from the entire franchise) and indeed the more I look at those screenshots, the more I’m warming to the art style.  Then again, maybe it’s just Stockholm Syndrome Crazy

I think your Windwaker example is perfect!

Zelda tech demo=fan expectation

Fan expectation+something different= disappointment and backlash

Fan expectation+something different= disappointment and backlash

Fans referred to Windwaker’s visuals as ‘too childish’ ‘too simple’ ‘too cartoony’

Fans referred to Return’s visuals as ‘too simple’ ‘like bad flash art’

I’m intrigued to see if Return will grow on others over time like Windwaker.

Joined 2018-09-09

PM

Toymafia1988 - 12 May 2022 07:57 AM

Indeed, but even if the art style doesn’t ingratiate itself to some, there’s still the puzzles, the story, the dialogue, voice acting and the music to look forward to.  There’s so many aspects to this game to look forward to.  Quite honestly, if you’d asked me a year ago what state I would accept learning what Ron’s vision for a new Monkey Island game would be; I would have gladly accepted a simple Word document.  The fact that we’re getting an actual full-on game is, well… quite frankly, it’s a dream come true, so therefore the art style really isn’t that big of a deal to me.  I hope that I’ll warm to it eventually but even if I don’t, it’s a new Monkey Island game being made by Ron Gilbert!  I’m just cock-a-hoop about that alone, to be honest.

Heck, even if the art style doesn’t appeal in time, it could always be worse; it could look like Escape From Monkey Island. *shivers* (me timbers)  Tongue

Joined 2011-06-03

PM

To me, the art still looks exactly as cheap as the day they revealed it. I can’t really think of any game whose art style has grown on me after the initial impression.

It is what it is.

Joined 2022-05-07

PM

St_Eddie - 12 May 2022 08:33 AM

Indeed, but even if the art style doesn’t ingratiate itself to some, there’s still the puzzles, the story, the dialogue, voice acting and the music to look forward to.  There’s so many aspects to this game to look forward to.  Quite honestly, if you’d asked me a year ago what state I would accept learning what Ron’s vision for a new Monkey Island game would be; I would have gladly accepted a simple Word document.  The fact that we’re getting an actual full-on game is, well… quite frankly, it’s a dream come true, so therefore the art style really isn’t that big of a deal to me.  I hope that I’ll warm to it eventually but even if I don’t, it’s a new Monkey Island game being made by Ron Gilbert!  I’m just cock-a-hoop about that alone, to be honest.

Heck, even if the art style doesn’t appeal in time, it could always be worse; it could look like Escape From Monkey Island. *shivers* (me timbers)  Tongue

Very true.

I would have been happy just to have a new Monkey Island game by some random people, let alone one with Ron’s vision, let alone the return of Dave Grossman (i was worried he had retired after Telltale.)

There’s so much to be excited about.

It has been 13 years since the last Monkey Island game… 13 YEARS 🤯🤯🤯

I generally thought Tales would be the last Monkey Island game ever, especially after Disney bought Lucasarts.

Return to Monkey could be a text adventure with no gfx and i would still be over the moon excited.

Joined 2022-05-07

PM

St_Eddie - 12 May 2022 08:33 AM

Also i still need to beat Escape. Everytime i try to play it i’m immediatedly put off by the tank controls (i wish we had a remastered version like Grim Fandango that fixed some of these issues)

Joined 2011-06-03

PM

Aaaand Ron deleted the comments and closed the comments section on GG again.

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

guys why did you stop the party, carry on!

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top