• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

rtrooney

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Day of the Tentacle Remastered announced!

Total Posts: 2648

Joined 2004-01-18

PM

22nd March cant come soon enough.

An adventure game is nothing more than a good story set with engaging puzzles that fit seamlessly in with the story and the characters, and looks and sounds beautiful.
Roberta Williams

Total Posts: 523

Joined 2010-02-08

PM

Three retrospectives articles on Day of the Tentacle from USGamer:

Day of the Tentacle: The Oral History (warning for puzzle spoilers)
Behind the Art of Day of the Tentacle
Day of the Tentacle Composer Peter McConnell on Communicating Cartooniness

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Thanks for the links, very interesting reads.
Nice to see they consulted everybody for the remake

Got a chuckle out of the Larry Ahern story complaining about Ron Gilbert, and Peter Chan just designing awesome backgrounds full of stuff that players “would want to pick up”.
Also Dave Grossman is designing the achievements in the remake? Neat

Total Posts: 84

Joined 2012-06-18

PM

Just ordered my copy at GOG. 10% discount :tup:
https://www.gog.com/game/day_of_the_tentacle_remastered

Total Posts: 33

Joined 2016-03-15

PM

Im doing a video of this when it’s out.

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Total Posts: 601

Joined 2014-11-29

PM

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Game is up on Euro PSN.
New art looks great on TV, really weird changing it to old style.
I feel like I could, like I could TAKE ON THE WORLD!
Nostalgia rush!

Edit: Great pointless feature - the color of the Dualshock controller changes when you change the character Smile
The save menu (well, all the menus) are pretty cool.
The game itself is just as I remembered it, breezing through the first part, still remember some of those puzzles. Good times

Total Posts: 7466

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

I’m not sure I like the new, smooth look of the game. Which is strange really, for someone who dislikes the retro-trend as much as I do. I’m very much looking forward to replaying DOTT though. Smile

Mr Underhill - 21 March 2016 04:46 PM

RPS review is in and it’s goooood!

I’m glad JW wrote a positive review. BUT it contained spoilers again. BUT his info sucks again: A game that for the better part of the last decade, has been near impossible to buy or play. Nonsense. It’s been available at amazon.com and sites like ebay for as long as I can remember. And has the guy never heard of ScummVM?

PROM, NAPOL, PROM! - The Rise of the Golden Idol

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

Karlok - 22 March 2016 04:21 AM

I’m glad JW wrote a positive review. BUT it contained spoilers again. BUT his info sucks again: A game that for the better part of the last decade, has been near impossible to buy or play. Nonsense. It’s been available at amazon.com and sites like ebay for as long as I can remember. And has the guy never heard of ScummVM?

But have those been OFFICIAL releases or just someone selling the used version of the game. There’s a difference you know. And existence of ScummVM doesn’t mean that everyone will use it or even wanted to, as a lot of people see installing additional apps in order to play something an unnecessary step that should be taken by the game developers and or retailers.

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

tomimt - 22 March 2016 04:44 AM
Karlok - 22 March 2016 04:21 AM

But have those been OFFICIAL releases or just someone selling the used version of the game. There’s a difference you know.

Official rereleases, both new and used, are available at amazon. The original release is not rare at all either.

And existence of ScummVM doesn’t mean that everyone will use it or even wanted to, as a lot of people see installing additional apps in order to play something an unnecessary step that should be taken by the game developers and or retailers.

If JW had written what you write, I would have been fine with it. But he didn’t. Near impossible is not good info.

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

Okay, I’ve given DoTT remaster a quick spin and boy, does it sound and look fantastic. The cleaned up and remastered voice acting sounds just as good as it would have been recorded just for this new version of DoTT. Now, even more then ever, hearing the voice acting in the quality it’s now, it makes me a bit sad POS didn’t have access to uncompressed voice files from the original for their Gabriel Knight remake.

The newly orchestrated music is fantastic as well, but if you prefer you can switch the old midi tunes on.

The graphics look just sweet. There’s a bonus gallery with original sketch art in it and I must say these newly redone graphics looks just as I’d imagined the game look like if the tech back then would not have forced them to do the game with pixel art. The high resolution animations look pretty nice as well, considering they didn’t add any additional frames into them. But again, if you prefer, you can switch all to pixel form. But I do need to add, that I did try the pixel art, and while it’s just as it has always been, for me the new HR work looks just better.

The new UI is what you’d expect from a modern adventure, but instead of having only two actions for each hotspot, you’ll get all that would have worked with the original verb UI as well. But, again if you prefer, you can switch to the original verb menu.

The best thing about all this is, that the only forced remastered feature is the high quality voice acting. That’s the only thing you can’t switch to the compressed original, which isn’t a loss. The new system allows you to very liberally switch between the remastered system you want, so if you want to, you can play with the original pixel art but with new UI and so on.

All in all, Double Fine did great job with this. It’s the same game as before, but in polished form. I’d say this is a bench mark for other remaster out there, especially in how it allows you to switch between new and old features.

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Sounds great! I’m going to try it later today. Smile Yeah, the voiceacting was terrific.

PS: Just two more days till Samorost 3 is released.  Kiss

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

Also, I know it was confirmed, but I want to reconfirm it: Maniac Mansion is indeed included (and it works just as it should).

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

I agree with tomimt, it’s pretty much a perfect remaster. Having a great time with it.
Also like how they adapted the controls to the Playstation controller. I had confidence because Broken Age worked fine but here it a more traditional point and click interface and they still found a solution for everything working fast.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top