• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Ok,Imagine in 2 years ALL those Kickstarter-ed Projects Succeeded!  ... then what..

Total Posts: 619

Joined 2012-06-06

PM

Well, remember - inXile just did Wasteland last year and raised several million for it… and then this year they raised another several million for Torment.  They’re obviously doing okay with using the model to fund twice.

Bt

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

About inXile: while I don’t mind that they started a second Kickstarter so they could start writing their next game (while the other one was already completely written and well into production) without needing to fire their writers or have them idle, I do feel that they asked for far too much for Torment. But then, that was the game that a lot of people would happily give an arm and a leg for, so they probably expected they’d get millions again…

I just hope they don’t go the Kickstarter route a third time. Wasteland 2 will be released well before the writing stage of Torment finishes, so everything they do afterwards should be funded with profits from Wasteland 2…

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 1341

Joined 2012-02-17

PM

Yeah, that’s an entirely different scenario, since the first game hasn’t been released yet. With no sales profits to spend on a second game, the choice was either Kickstarter again or simply waiting. That won’t be the case with all these one-at-a-time adventure campaigns.

Joined 2012-06-06

PM

Yeah - I know I didn’t have a problem with it; I felt like they had a good pitch with Torment, and getting work done on it now gets it out faster.  Plus, people have been really clammoring for a Planescape:Torment succesor for years. I suppose a second KS campaign from a company has to have a really good pitch, a good promise of interactivity - and it did help fund something that perhaps AAA publishers wouldn’t fund.

Hopefully if things are successful for some adventure game studios, they will be working on multiple games at a time!  Just like the good old days.

Bt

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Blackthorne - 15 April 2013 01:08 PM

Just like the good old days.

Bt

yes!
as when Ken used to work on 50 Projects at one time

dream on

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Advie - 15 April 2013 01:13 PM

yes!

dream on

Having shared resources can seriously cut the cost of a second (or third) game, so why shouldn’t we want a team that can handle multiple projects at once?
It’s not like Ken worked on every single Sierra game himself, you know…

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2012-06-06

PM

Heh, yeah, maybe not 50 projects at once, and as for dreaming on… well, dreaming was what got Infamous Quests together in the first place.  So never fully discount crazy dreams.

Bt

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

TimovieMan - 15 April 2013 01:19 PM
Advie - 15 April 2013 01:13 PM

yes!

dream on

Having shared resources can seriously cut the cost of a second (or third) game, so why shouldn’t we want a team that can handle multiple projects at once?
It’s not like Ken worked on every single Sierra game himself, you know…

i know..yes
he was a CEO , he worked one way or the other on every project that Sierra gave and we are not talking about just adventures or even games here

reference check it

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Blackthorne - 15 April 2013 01:22 PM

as for dreaming on… well, dreaming was what got Infamous Quests together in the first place.  So never fully discount crazy dreams.

Bt

Of course that was an unmatched effort by IA at a time we had forgotten about the core of Adventure gaming Sierra,
i really enjoyed SQ2 and KQ3 SO MUCH .. and they were for free Wink

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top