• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

rtrooney

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Ok,Imagine in 2 years ALL those Kickstarter-ed Projects Succeeded!  ... then what..

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Through the many threads of the Kickstarter-ed Adventure Games/Projects here on the AG forums many times i came across one similar comment about what if the devs of those Projects are to launch another Kickstarter later to make another game ..

To answer this question reasonably it is No support for the dev who got funded by fans and… blow it up ! you should have been standing up for your new game on your own by now .. and (hypothetically) don’t dare to tell that this time will be better.
that {^} is one thing what if they didn’t ask but just had enough with that shot and instead of what we were looking up for and that is our Genre to stand up on its own again ,but turned out to be just a shot ,for some Devs that is/was risk free , whatever i am expecting, things that still to happen but just Imagine, and may you say what is your expectation .

that not all! there are many things backers thinking (of course) most importantly ; will this really pour into the genre ,recycling processes I mean, or just into the Devs pocket (there is nothing bad with this ‘statement’  its their choice as long as they gave us the product they said they will , plus they are not to be lookin’ at as the saviors of the Genre.. right?)

another thing; if they to make another project (and let me keep the best of my positivity up) will they develop/Upgrade themselves? the only Kickstarter that showed me the dream of Adventure Gaming getting back on the top of all genres and how Adventure Games should look like at the future is Dreamfall Chapters(imo),
if you do not yet get this point tell me had you ever thought of the obvious differences yet, between jane’s Gray matter and Moebius(yea Yea Moebius is not out yet but we can easily judge from what we saw at the trailer’s quality!... or what? )

and believe me i am not being (here) that Advie who doesn’t Like Jane Jansen so Much and see her kinda overrated because i always feel that giving her credits more than Roberta Williams is just wrong (i think some members noticed that about me) ... (ok that one is active and the other is off and relaxing on her yacht, but i do not need to quote how many time i had been dragged into this subject were generally always about who is Best at this the comparison .. but ANYWAYS what the heck that will not do the Genre any Better Wink

Many Questions that concern the success of the genre by these Kickstarters more than the Questions that claimed about the success of one title (IMO) ,

.. i just wanna be positive by expecting the negative so i can over-ride it if failed, i don’t know if this statement makes any sense for you Guys but it a common one in Egypt.

P.S: Also maybe reading (for those who missed) Jackel Article about Kickstarter Adventure: Gearing into Overdrive, Threatening to Stall (an almost a year ago) would help to Shed some light on the Question .........And then what ? where are we heading?

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

We’ll have to see what we mean by successful. I’m not yet convinced that this method of proposing and creating games won’t put too much creative control in the hands of the public, in the long term. Getting prior public approval for a game seems to me, in theory, to rule out the unexpected, the bold and the surprising.

If we get a string of games which everyone likes but no one really likes, I don’t see that as much of a success.

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Oscar - 13 April 2013 08:55 PM

We’ll have to see what we mean by successful.

successful is successful or in a material way let me say the same as The walking Dead Succes (ratings and sellings and awards)

Getting prior public approval for a game seems to me, in theory, to rule out the unexpected, the bold and the surprising.

That is a Great Statement Oscar,
1st: you pointed out that the game’s Backers (number) really count! maybe more than the Goal reached (i never thought of that)  that maintains a number sold copies before released.

2nd: i think Kickstarters are a way of an (unsaid) advertising with a factor of announcing the project too soon ... remember how we waited for DF:TLJ part2 every day actually made it more valuable and on the other hand MAYBE ...just maybe ASA had not sell well because no one was really waiting for it.

Total Posts: 966

Joined 2005-11-29

PM

I imagine that if these games come out well, they’ll make enough money to fund further adventures. I think some companies will be able to parlay these into great successes, and in turn fund future adventure game development. Others will be disappointing and might not make that much money. That’s just the nature of the free market.

I’m not yet convinced that any of these KS projects, however, will really be able to cross-over into the mainstream in the way The Walking Dead did. But they don’t have to, either. I think the important point to prove is that these games are profitable not that they’re mainstream popular. A good return-on-investment is more important than big sales numbers.

As for more progressive “next-gen” adventures, I agree there aren’t many. Dreamfall is certainly trying to combine new and old in an exciting way, and seems the most “progressive.” Tex Murphy is staying true to their old formula but that formula is still pretty far ahead of most of the genre, and the interface is rethought, so that seems like one to watch as well.

Total Posts: 278

Joined 2008-07-11

PM

Not to be overly pessimistic, but for many of these games you simply can’t expect them to transcend the genre or exceed sales expectations because they aren’t trying anything new. A lot of them were sold to the fans on the promise that they will be the same as they were 15 years ago (with modern-day improvements).

I think a lot of these guys have faith that a “modern” adventure game, that isn’t ridiculously obscure, that has a nice interface, and that’s on the necessary platforms, can sell really well. I agree with that, but when I hear that the Broken Sword games for iOS have sold hundreds of thousands of copies, and Revolution still couldn’t fund BS5 on their own, then I start to wonder if any of these developers will make enough money to fund a sequel.

I’m 100% fine with a developer returning to Kickstarter, if their original KS game was a success (and by “success” I mean it came out and it was a good game). I mean why not? If they can’t sell their games to a wider audience, then at least they can sell it to their fans.

Total Posts: 990

Joined 2009-05-08

PM

I’m prepared for these successful Kickstarters to just be a one off.

Sure, something like Larry Reloaded might sell insanely well and Replay can fund all the Larrys and Sierra IP they want - but even if it doesn’t then it won’t worry me because at least I got to see some people I admire return to the game industry for one last hurrah.

It gets the bad taste of the early 00s out of my mouth.

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

orient - 14 April 2013 12:57 AM

I think a lot of these guys have faith that a “modern” adventure game, that isn’t ridiculously obscure, that has a nice interface, and that’s on the necessary platforms, can sell really well. I agree with that, but when I hear that the Broken Sword games for iOS have sold hundreds of thousands of copies, and Revolution still couldn’t fund BS5 on their own, then I start to wonder if any of these developers will make enough money to fund a sequel.

The thing with KS games is though, that the development costs have been mostly taken care off already. Sure, some go over budget, but the profit margin for the devs is still bigger than with a game they’d had funded by themselves or with publishers money.

Total Posts: 278

Joined 2008-07-11

PM

tomimt - 14 April 2013 02:36 AM

The thing with KS games is though, that the development costs have been mostly taken care off already. Sure, some go over budget, but the profit margin for the devs is still bigger than with a game they’d had funded by themselves or with publishers money.

That’s true—there’s definitely more potential money for the developer without a publisher being involved, but they’re also without the marketing support that a publisher typically provides. I don’t think that’s a problem for the bigger titles, but I think it could be for some of the smaller adventures.

Of course, it all depends on the size of the team. As Kickstarter budgets have demonstrated, if you have a team of a dozen or so experienced individuals (and you’re not just a couple of guys willing to work for next to nothing—which is commendable, don’t get me wrong—but it isn’t the case with the bigger games), then it really takes a good half a million (probably double that and more for the higher profile games that have had outside investments) to make a game.

If you’re selling an iOS version for $5 (on average), you’d have to sell close to 300,000 copies in order to break a million revenue, taking into account Apple’s cut. You’d probably have to sell around a third of that on Steam, assuming the game costs around $15-20.

I don’t know. I just can’t see devs like Two Guys, that struggled to drum up excitement for their game in the first place, selling those kinds of numbers. I can see it happening for Broken Age, Dreamfall and possibly Broken Sword. Not so much for Moebius, Leisure Suit Larry etc.

Tex Murphy’s a weird one, because the whole FMV thing could really work in its favour due to the novelty…or it couldn’t. Who knows.

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

I fully expect some of the projects to be just one offs. The projects that have struggled to get their goals in the first place already demonstrate, that the demand was not as high as the devs/fans expected. I think the Cole’s might be hard pressed to be able to make a sequal to their game, just like the Andromeda Guys.

But some may offer a surprise, as for an example the commenting around released Larry Reloaded footage has been mostly pretty positive, even surprised from non backers, as the art quality is so high. I think Larry might have enough steam in him for at least one or two new games/remakes. On the other end you got Moebius, which footage has been met with more criticism because of the ackward character art and animation. Sure, it’s still difficult to say how the early comments reflect on final sales though.

Tex Murphy might be a black horse really, depending on how well Big Finish manages to integrate the FMV to the actual game play. I hope they’ve managed to found a better way of inserting characters in the game world that looks better than the cut out system the old Tex games have.

Total Posts: 1289

Joined 2012-07-15

PM

Oscar - 13 April 2013 08:55 PM

Getting prior public approval for a game seems to me, in theory, to rule out the unexpected, the bold and the surprising.

This is a very interesting point, which conflicts the argument that crowd-funding gives the developer complete creative control.

Duckman: Can you believe it? Five hundred bucks for a parking ticket?
Cornfed Pig: You parked in a handicapped zone.
Duckman: Who cares? Nobody parks there anyway, except for the people who are supposed to park there and, hell, I can outrun them anytime.

Total Posts: 974

Joined 2007-02-23

PM

I have a feeling most of the successful developers will end up trying to creep back to the Kickstarter well, as it’s a good way to make sure you don’t jeopardize any of your own money, but I doubt that I’d support most of them, if any, and I have a feeling a lot of people feel the same way. But we’ll see.

The games I see have the most sales potential beyond the very closed off adventure gamer community is only really Broken Age, Broken Sword 5 and TLJ 3. The rest of the games are niche products to me.

Total Posts: 1079

Joined 2003-09-30

PM

Advie - 13 April 2013 08:27 PM

Through the many threads of the Kickstarter-ed Adventure Games/Projects here on the AG forums many times i came across one similar comment about what if the devs of those Projects are to launch another Kickstarter later to make another game ..
.........And then what ? where are we heading?

Curious free association from Advie,then what, more chapters & sequels,then what,more chapters & prequels,then what,start from square one with remakes,just takes enough life time of an agamer’s to see.

“Going on means going far - Going far means returning”

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Gaaaabe .. Grin
Sneaky

but even ,you know that this just results (a) fans funded genre !!

Edit: i then speaking of myself i will pass Wink

Joined 2005-11-29

PM

orient - 14 April 2013 12:57 AM

I’m 100% fine with a developer returning to Kickstarter, if their original KS game was a success (and by “success” I mean it came out and it was a good game). I mean why not? If they can’t sell their games to a wider audience, then at least they can sell it to their fans.

Only in the cases where the game was good, but somehow failed to sell enough to pay for another. Which I really do believe will be a minority of cases.

Who is to say Revolution didn’t make enough to fund BS5? Just because they COULD get the money doesn’t mean they needed it. If they really sold 300,000 or so copies of Broken Sword games on iOS, they probably DID have the money, or at least enough money to make something close.

Joined 2005-11-29

PM

orient - 14 April 2013 03:35 AM

If you’re selling an iOS version for $5 (on average), you’d have to sell close to 300,000 copies in order to break a million revenue, taking into account Apple’s cut. You’d probably have to sell around a third of that on Steam, assuming the game costs around $15-20.

I don’t know. I just can’t see devs like Two Guys, that struggled to drum up excitement for their game in the first place, selling those kinds of numbers. I can see it happening for Broken Age, Dreamfall and possibly Broken Sword. Not so much for Moebius, Leisure Suit Larry etc.

Assuming a game is like $15, they’d have to sell 100,000 to make a million. That’s not a lot of copies. Machinarium sold triple that in its first 6 months. We are ultimately talking about a very low bar for success.

Larry may have a somewhat steeper hill to climb because they have to give a handsome cut to Codemasters for use of the license, but that license will probably pay for itself in increased sales, too.

Tex Murphy’s a weird one, because the whole FMV thing could really work in its favour due to the novelty…or it couldn’t. Who knows.

I seriously doubt the FMV will be a selling point of that game. More likely it will create the same stigma it always has. I don’t necessarily have a lot of faith in their ability to market that game either based on their past track record.

But still, their break-even is like 75,000 copies, which seems pretty attainable even with all those considerations.

Total Posts: 1079

Joined 2003-09-30

PM

Advie - 14 April 2013 12:01 PM

but even ,you know that this just results (a) fans funded genre !!

Hope that means ag evolves as fans approved content genre too.

“Going on means going far - Going far means returning”

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top