• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Jdawg445LittleRoseSefir

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Adventure Game Questionnaire

Total Posts: 5

Joined 2013-04-12

PM

Hello, I am working on my bachelors degree thesis in game design. My paper is going to be about puzzle solving in point and click adventure games and I need as many people as possible to fill out my form in order to gain valid data. I thank everyone that can take two minutes out of their time and answer 10 simple questions.

https://sites.google.com/a/student.hgo.se/adventure-game-queastionare/

/ Rabi Afram

Total Posts: 1289

Joined 2012-07-15

PM

Hello there Smile I filled out your form, but after filling in some text in one of the “other” boxes, I hit enter to proceed, and the form was submitted right away, though I wasn’t finished. I resent a finished one though, sorry for the incomplete one Smile

Some questions was a bit difficult to answer though, such as “What’s the average difficulty level of adventure games” as they range from insultingly easy to nearly impossible. Generally I’m of the impression that modern games are averagely easier than the oldies, though this could be just because I’ve become older and (hopefully) more knowledgeable, not to mention more experienced at solving AG puzzles. Or it could be simply because modern AG’s tends to have very few hotspots, so there aren’t that many possible variables.

Duckman: Can you believe it? Five hundred bucks for a parking ticket?
Cornfed Pig: You parked in a handicapped zone.
Duckman: Who cares? Nobody parks there anyway, except for the people who are supposed to park there and, hell, I can outrun them anytime.

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

Dag - 12 April 2013 10:27 AM

Some questions was a bit difficult to answer though, such as “What’s the average difficulty level of adventure games” as they range from insultingly easy to nearly impossible. Generally I’m of the impression that modern games are averagely easier than the oldies…

I agree the difficulty vary very much from game to game, and in the last few years the games has on average become much easier.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Joined 2013-04-12

PM

Thanks for the feedback. I know it is hard to chose an answer when the choices are so few. I thank you for your time and feedback Smile I will try to make future surveys to include better formed questions that are less general.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

I filled out the form.

Like Dag and Iznogood said, some questions were a bit difficult to answer. I agree with his impression that modern games are a bit easier than the old ones.
I think it’s mostly because there are either less screens available at once, or less hotspots per screen, or just generally a lesser amount of puzzles in the game…

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 2582

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

What is it with lazy students cooking up worthless, unscientific Internet surveys as a replacement to doing actual work? We seem to be getting one every other week these days. Is this a thing now?? How come they don’t know their professors are going to fail them for something like that? (Or are their professors so stupid that they don’t see a problem with it?)

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

He He - I think it depends entirely on how he uses the data Kurufinwe.
In itself it is properly useless, but hopefully his paper isn’t based entirely on our answers.

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

TimovieMan - 12 April 2013 11:27 AM

I think it’s mostly because there are either less screens available at once, or less hotspots per screen, or just generally a lesser amount of puzzles in the game…

I think the main reason is that there are less screens per scene, and that you can’t leave the scenes before solving everything at that place.

There was recently a little discussion about Chaos on Deponia, where you start in a rather large open exploration area and have to work on several objectives at the same time. There were some that thought it was very overwhelming and difficult, simply because they didn’t know in which areas they could work on what objectives, and they couldn’t just finish the puzzles in one area in move on to the next, but had to do little bits in each area and work on all the objectives simultaneously.

This was actually very common in old games, but nowadays people are more used to being “held in the hands” and being guided through the games, instead of having a more “open” game design, where you have to figure out for yourself what can be accomplished at each location.

Total Posts: 5051

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Kurufinwe - 12 April 2013 11:29 AM

What is it with lazy students cooking up worthless, unscientific Internet surveys as a replacement to doing actual work?

Or surveys regarding possible game designs. I’ve never seen one of these survey “takers” report back with a game concept or thanks for a passing grade. I think you are totally on the mark with your comment.

I’d also be curious if the same survey was posted on any other gaming sites.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2013-04-12

PM

My paper isn’t based on this survey at all. My paper is about puzzle design and illogical puzzles. My primary research is based around published game design documents and the information that the designers though of to convey to the player and whether or not that information is acknowledged by the player. This survey is only meant to back or refute my initial hypothesis that most players do not have the necessary information to logically complete all the puzzles.

I understand your “concern” but I think its wrong of you to assume anything about me or my work and I think you should at least try to research and publish something yourself before criticizing something I just started to write.

Total Posts: 358

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

I felt like the writer’s point of view was dripping through in a couple questions. One of the questions was like, “do you find it fun in adventure games to try using random objects with each other because you don’t know what else to do?” It almost seemed like the writer was looking for respondents to answer in a particular way.

I can’t imagine how the results of this very brief survey will be particularly useful in supporting any kind of argument in a serious academic paper.

I want to know if the questioner is planning to smear adventure gaming with the cliched and flawed “impossible to solve puzzles” criticism. I am so tired of hearing this criticism, which often comes from people associated with Telltale Games who want to tell us that adventure games need to be dumbed down and made into interactive movies. I beat King’s Quests 4 and 5 when I was in fourth grade. And I didn’t use hint books. Also, some of the puzzles in the classic games, while difficult, were often ingenious and extremely rewarding to work out and solve. Some puzzles in the early games made little sense, but they are the exception when you view adventure gaming as a whole.

So, there you go. I hope some of this response helps you in your paper. If I was wrong about your motivations, then I apologize.

Joined 2013-04-12

PM

I do not intend in any way to smear the genre. I love point and click adventure games and my paper is merely researching if the most common solution that the player choses is by design or something that is the result of to little afterthought. I will in no way claim that any way is the wrong way and I do agree that the question regarding how people feel about randomly using items is hard to answer but that is why I left the option to write your own answer. Some people have written long comments and my paper would not gate a passing grade if I this survey was what I based my facts about.

Total Posts: 506

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

A preemptive note with my moderator hat on: it’s totally fine to ask questions about the point of the survey or discuss its merits, but there’s no need to be rude or to derail it with speculation about the poster’s intention. (A Telltale employee in disguise trying to subvert our idea of what an adventure game is? Really? Shifty Eyed ) Please don’t do that.

Skezatchi, welcome to the forum. I hope you get the data you need.

Total Posts: 6590

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

How experienced are you with point-and-click adventure games?

I don’t think “Very experienced” relates to “Played more than ten titles”. Not even “Played more than 50 titles” necessarily means the person is “experienced”, because he/she might have used the walkthrough for all those games. Also, experience comes from diversity, meaning if you’ve played 20 Myst-clones and none of the 3rd-person adventures (or you’ve played 20 newer games and zero classics) you’re not really “experienced”.

When playing point-and-click adventure games, how often do you finish the game without having to look up the solution for a puzzle online?

The answer would be “sometimes” (rarely), but that doesn’t mean the game where I haven’t used the walkthrough is better than the game where I’ve needed help or a hint.

How often do you try to interact with objects randomly because you don’t know what to do?

How do you feel about having to try to combine items at random in order to progress in the game?

Random use/combination of objects is a natural part of the adventure games, and we should not condemn it - I might do that even when i know what to do. Game designers are not to blame if players solve the puzzle by random interaction or item combination, but they’re to blame if there’s no incentive to players to think logically (and even then players might solve it by trial & error).

How often do you feel that you have to rely on knowledge from outside the game in order to complete a puzzle? e.g. knowing that a diamond can cut glass

That really happens all the time in an adventure, because for example you know that you need to use the key on door, and some common knowledge is ok (planet order in “The Black Mirror”). There’re really rare examples where you need to possess high astronomy or nuclear physics knowledge in order to solve a puzzle, which wouldn’t be fair - but GOOD game will have a book on the subject lying nearby which you can read. Tongue

What do you feel is the average difficulty in completing the average point-and-click adventure game? How hard do you experience the games of this title to be?

If I understood right, the question asks for the average difficulty of ALL games in the history of the genre? That would be impossible to say, and I’m not sure what an average game would be… If you’re talking in the terms of the difficulty, then there’s an answer already - average game is of average difficulty Grin.

Do you feel that the information to solve all the puzzles in the games is available?

In ALL games? No.

In what game setting do you find the puzzles to be more difficult to solve?

I see what you’re aiming at, but realism should not dictate puzzle design and difficulty. The game might turn out to be good and challenging (in the right way) with the realistic, or let’s say, cartoon setting.

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

I agree with every single word Diego wrote in the above post

I particular noticed the difficulty question, the only possible answer is almost by definition average. Of course if you compare it with other genres then other answers is possible, but the difficulty also varies at lot in other genres, so it is really a hard question to answer in a meaningful way.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Well, when I filled out the form, I gave a decent number of games in the final two questions, but the thing that became apparent was that most of the comedy games didn’t make the cut from the penultimate to the last question… Tongue

In other words, comedy games are the ones where I’ll sooner resort to “try everything on everything” (which is how I interpreted “combine items at random”) because I’m stuck…
And comedy games are usually also the ones where you try that just to see what happens.

It kinda reinforced my answer of ‘unrealistic’ as the kind of setting with more difficult puzzles…

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top