• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

What would you do if one of your Kickstarter projects got cancelled? 

Total Posts: 966

Joined 2005-11-29

PM

I was going to post this in the KS reflections thread after talking about SpaceVenture, but it might be better to separate it.

It seems to me like an eventuality that there will be a promising high-profile Kickstarter that gets canned. We’ve already had the Code Hero scandal. But there are rumblings in the adventure game world too. The recent update from SpaceVenture shows a game seemingly in early proto stages after nearly a year of development. Hero U has had serious budget problems and moved to part-time development. Jack Houston has barely started development. And Homestuck Adventures hasn’t even picked out a developer yet.

It’s only a matter of time. So the question is: How will you feel? Will you take it in stride? Will you give them more money in the hopes that they’ll finish? Will you never give to Kickstarter again? Or will you look at it like you’ve been scammed and join a class action suit?

Personally, I have always looked at Kickstarter as an investment, not a purchase; a hedged bet on an overall movement, not a single game. If, for example, SpaceVenture gets cancelled before it’s completed, I’ll be extremely disappointed because SpaceQuest is one of my favorite series, but I won’t be angry, I won’t stop giving to Kickstarter, and I wouldn’t want to sue.

I wouldn’t, however, give them more money. I’m not even sure how I feel about giving money for a second game, let alone a second round of funding for the first game (as some other projects have done like Pathfinder and soon Guns of Icarus).

Total Posts: 358

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

I reject the assumption in your question. I don’t think it is inevitable that one of these larger adventure projects gets canceled.

The Code Hero project is very much the exception.

Also, what are these “rumblings” you speak of? You mean people expressing concern about the projects you mentioned?

By the way, I think Paul Trowe’s idea of a Sierra 2.0, where different adventure game projects could benefit under one publisher, doesn’t look so bad right now. At least not from a gamer’s perspective. Non-game specific resources could be shared.

But, to answer your question, what I would do (in a situation that won’t happen, by the way :-) ) would honestly depend entirely on the individual circumstances. That’s the best answer I can give.

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

I gave my 13 bucks to Code Hero, not necessarily because I’d use it myself, but because it sounded like an interesting idea. Sadly, it does look like the project might not ever get fully completed. Now I don’t mind myself because it was just 13 bucks on a project I thought could be nice platform for beginner coders, but it does make you think. If I were to ask refund, it would most likely take a while before I’d get it, as the team has burned the cash they gathered. So for now it’s just a waiting game, but I’m not holding my breath.

Personally I’ve tried to pick my projects so, that there’s seasoned people behind them, so that there would be more behind the project than just enthustistic beginners. But even the seasoned people can estimate their needs wrong or there can be unexpected bumbs on the road.

When it comes down to it, I wouldn’t give more money to them. Hell, I found it absurd that people were willing to throw money towards Double Fine when one of the videos discussed about how they would have to cut out some stuff from the game. That’s development for you. You need to make choices, you put in what you can, with the budget you have.

Joined 2005-11-29

PM

Quest1 - 10 April 2013 08:33 AM

I reject the assumption in your question. I don’t think it is inevitable that one of these larger adventure projects gets canceled.

Maybe not an adventure project in particular, but SOME semi-high-profile project will fail at some point, and I worry that this will undermine Kickstarter as a whole. I hope it won’t.

Quest1 - 10 April 2013 08:33 AM

Also, what are these “rumblings” you speak of? You mean people expressing concern about the projects you mentioned?

Just what I said in the OP. There are projects that appear to be either struggling or not making meaningful progress.

I don’t mean to pick on these projects except to say “It COULD happen to us.” I don’t think any of those projects are doomed, they’re just the ones that have given us reasons to worry.

tomimt - 10 April 2013 08:45 AM

When it comes down to it, I wouldn’t give more money to them. Hell, I found it absurd that people were willing to throw money towards Double Fine when one of the videos discussed about how they would have to cut out some stuff from the game. That’s development for you. You need to make choices, you put in what you can, with the budget you have.

Yeah, agreed completely. I found that reaction ridiculous. But on the other hand, I’m glad people aren’t so easily discouraged. It’s good for gaming as a whole that people can roll with the punches.

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

I believe I read that the Hero U project will be asking for more money. What if they don’t get it?

Anyway, I would certainly consider giving more. Like I said, so much would depend on the unique circumstances. It’s really hard to answer such a vague hypothetical.

Total Posts: 1235

Joined 2013-03-31

PM

Quest1 - 10 April 2013 08:50 AM

I believe I read that the Hero U project will be asking for more money. What if they don’t get it?

Then good riddance.  That’s what happens when sheep throw money at a project based on name recognition alone.

Joined 2005-11-29

PM

Quest1 - 10 April 2013 08:50 AM

Anyway, I would certainly consider giving more. Like I said, so much would depend on the unique circumstances. It’s really hard to answer such a vague hypothetical.

I actually didn’t back Hero U, but I can’t imagine I’d give to ANY project twice in those circumstances. Even if they finished the game and came back to KS to make a sequel I don’t think I’d give them more money. I see KS as a one-time gift. I might thaw on that if there’s a game that comes out great but just doesn’t sell enough to make another, but we’ll cross that bridge when we get there.

I can’t imagine going back for a second campaign will go over well. I hope they have a backup plan. Where did they post about that, by the way?

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

Frogacuda - 10 April 2013 08:45 AM

Just what I said in the OP. There are projects that appear to be either struggling or not making meaningful progress.

I don’t mean to pick on these projects except to say “It COULD happen to us.” I don’t think any of those projects are doomed, they’re just the ones that have given us reasons to worry.

If it happens, then future campaigns should learn from whatever mistakes the failed projects made. I don’t think it would doom Kickstarter nor seriously damage its image and potential to continue to be a valuable and popular crowd-funding method. There will be enough success stories to balance the failures.

Joined 2013-03-31

PM

I’m sorry, but if the Coles can’t make a finished game for over $400K, they aren’t doing it right.  This is a sign of raging incompetence when it comes to budgeting the project.  They deserve to fail.

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

Lambonius - 10 April 2013 08:53 AM

Then good riddance.  That’s what happens when sheep throw money at a project based on name recognition alone.

Totally unnecessary to use loaded language denigrating the game’s backers. Disappointing to see that here.

Anyway, there is inherent risk involved in pledging on Kickstarter.

Joined 2005-11-29

PM

Lambonius - 10 April 2013 09:00 AM

I’m sorry, but if the Coles can’t make a finished game for over $400K, they aren’t doing it right.  This is a sign of raging incompetence when it comes to budgeting the project.  They deserve to fail.

This is a crazy person crazy rant. It’s probably closer to $300,000 after fulfillment costs, and honestly, that’s not really enough to make a game, at least not with an experienced professional staff.

I think their real mistake was setting their goal too low. Of course if it was higher, they would have likely failed, but probably better to not go into something you can’t finish than to be committed to deliver it and unable.

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

Frogacuda - 10 April 2013 08:55 AM

I can’t imagine going back for a second campaign will go over well. I hope they have a backup plan. Where did they post about that, by the way?

Well, I didn’t back that project either. I was speaking generally when I said I’d be open to giving more.

I can’t remember where I saw that they’d probably need more funding. I believe I read Corey Cole say that he was confident he could get more, whether through KS or elsewhere.

Joined 2013-03-31

PM

Also, people need to be realistic about when they expect these games to come out.  No game that made less than the amount needed to supply its programmers, artists, animators, etc. with a reasonable wage is going to come out in a super timely fashion.  I get the impression that the Coles blew their wad early—paid a bunch of their workers something close to a full time salary, and then realized that they only had about 5 full time salaries worth of cash to work with.  That’s just bad planning on their part.  Hopefully they can finish the game, but if not—lesson learned.

Joined 2013-03-31

PM

Frogacuda - 10 April 2013 09:05 AM
Lambonius - 10 April 2013 09:00 AM

This is a crazy person crazy rant. It’s probably closer to $300,000 after fulfillment costs, and honestly, that’s not really enough to make a game, at least not with an experienced professional staff.

I think their real mistake was setting their goal too low. Of course if it was higher, they would have likely failed, but probably better to not go into something you can’t finish than to be committed to deliver it and unable.

Haha…yes, I like to do those from time to time.

You’re right though, it would be significantly less after Kickstarter’s cut and all the reward costs.  But still, I think about myself working passionately on Quest For Infamy with our budget of around 60K, and have a hard time finding any respect or sympathy for a developer that can’t make smart use of hundreds of thousands of dollars to make a game with similar types of production resources.

Joined 2005-11-29

PM

Most people seem fairly unfazed by timing concerns. It seems like the KS audience is perfectly happy to roll with delays, but I think a cancellation would sting.

Joined 2005-11-29

PM

tomimt - 10 April 2013 08:45 AM

If I were to ask refund, it would most likely take a while before I’d get it, as the team has burned the cash they gathered. So for now it’s just a waiting game, but I’m not holding my breath.

I seriously doubt anyone will get refunds in cases like this without legal intervention. They’ve spent the money, they don’t have it to refund anyone. If they did, they’d be finishing the game with that money.

That possibility could also have a chilling effect, but more on the developers who go to KS rather than on backers. But having developers seriously consider their ability to deliver is not necessarily a bad thing.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top